Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's because up until just recently putting in actual real 3D models was really hard if not outright impossible so nobody has really bothered because the tech wasn't there. Now that the tech is there, I think you're going to see it a lot more. Remember that period of time where people were trying to make everything into voxels? That was some weird stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That cacodemon just looks so drat happy being an abomination from hell.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
That cacodemon is altogether too adorable. :3:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, that Cacodemon model is actually pretty decent.

The rest, though :stonk:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

I think it's because up until just recently putting in actual real 3D models was really hard if not outright impossible so nobody has really bothered because the tech wasn't there. Now that the tech is there, I think you're going to see it a lot more. Remember that period of time where people were trying to make everything into voxels? That was some weird stuff.

You still have to convince people who are really good at 3D modeling to do it for free, that's the real problem.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The state machine used by Doom actors doesn't help, as it sharply jumps from frame to frame. For models, you'll want smooth transitions. Doom ports also only support janky old formats from the Quake era. Finally, everyone is so completely used to the way Doom sprites look and move that a 3D transposition is always going to look bad, no matter how well it's done, because what works in 2D doesn't necessarily work in 3D and if the animations are changed to look more natural in 3D it'll be unfaithful while if the animations aren't changed it'll look unnatural.

There might be hope, though. dpJudas is working on something. Once there is a system in place for skeletal animation so that models don't have to be animated by the state machine, model artists may not get discouraged by how crap their work is going to look like in the end.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

CJacobs posted:

It is actually possible to import 3D models. Thing is that there aren't that many out there and they can't be something crazy like 8K triangles. Something more like a few hundred is more reasonable since not many people would want to play that since you need some real good 3D modellers and they don't do anything for free if they thing they're good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

These model are great, because they really scratch that late 90s FPS nostalgia itch.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

They all look really bored to me.

Also the basic zombieman doesn't have a goatee, c'mon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shadow Hog posted:

They all look really bored to me.

Also the basic zombieman doesn't have a goatee, c'mon.

But he's 5% more badass that way!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
His hair is already just as green as the real thing's hair so y'know what I'll give em the goatee.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
They look like digitized photos of the modder's roommates.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
never seen this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz1ieI5XNnk

https://www.tigsource.com/2009/11/12/harmony/

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
A new Unreal retrospective from LGR for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjS6rLKnU0c

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
aren't a good chunk of the Doom enemies based off clay models? I wonder if it'd be possible to get 3D scans of those models from id and use them for a legit 3D model replacement project.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

aren't a good chunk of the Doom enemies based off clay models? I wonder if it'd be possible to get 3D scans of those models from id and use them for a legit 3D model replacement project.
The player sprite, Cyberdemon and Baron of Hell were clay models by Adrian Carmack that are in various degrees of disrepair. Either Adrian or Romero currently possess two of them, the Cyberdemon's location is unknown.
https://twitter.com/romero/status/542999303086546945

The Spiderdemon, Revenant, Archvile and Mancubus were puppets made out of foam latex and steel armatures by Gregor Punchatz, a veteran of Hollywood practical effects. The original puppets are at the Id offices, although I believe parts of the Spiderdemon had to be rebuilt by Punchatz at some point due to wear and tear. You can see their current state here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So yeah, you totally could do that for like half the bestiary if id, Carmack and Romero all wanted to play ball with you. The 3D models could be edited to a T-pose pretty easily and rigged, and then from there you could basically just reverse-engineer the original sprite animations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Who's up for some mood and genre whiplash?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIpGhRpkdE4

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

hasn't that been in development since like 2005? :stare: well whatever, it's a free mod so I'm defo not gonna bitch about dev time. looks pretty interesting, definitely seems to be wearing it's SOMA inspiration on its sleeves a bit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

The opening narration made me think for a moment that it was going the Doom 3 equivalent to Hunt Down the Freeman. (Hunt Down the Doomguy? Hunt Down the Taggart? Hunt Down the Stalvern?)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Harmony is a decent time, though its no Adventure of Square or Chex Quest.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Jblade posted:

hasn't that been in development since like 2005? :stare: well whatever, it's a free mod so I'm defo not gonna bitch about dev time. looks pretty interesting, definitely seems to be wearing it's SOMA inspiration on its sleeves a bit.

Wow, no poo poo? I thought that I had heard of the mod before, so maybe that's why.

Kind of wish they had done something besides this though (even something like using Photoshop to blend/amalgamate a face from other faces might have been better):

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Samuel Clemens posted:

These model are great, because they really scratch that late 90s FPS nostalgia itch.

It's also good because 2 of them are posed to look like how they appear in the game's Manuel or Manuel w/e it is

Ah poo poo I did it twice

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The new Fanatical (neé Bundlestars) bundle has a remake of the DOOM II mod ‘UNLOVED’ if anyone is interested for research purposes.

It doesn’t look great tbh but it’s interesting to see a mod get the full game treatment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately the standalone Unloved has no resemblance to the Doom mod. It's a roguelike with randomly generated levels and an EXP leveling system. Whether it's still good or not I dunno, but it's way way different than what people liked about the old mod.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Ah yes, Phobos, the Duke Nukem Forever of Doom3 community. At least it'll be a lot more engaging than DNF (though I still love messing around with random stuff in DNF to this day).

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Oh joy, Blade of Agony is falling apart over trying to crowbar as many unnecessary and unwieldy gameplay elements into gzdoom.

:nallears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Klaus88 posted:

Oh joy, Blade of Agony is falling apart over trying to crowbar as many unnecessary and unwieldy gameplay elements into gzdoom.

Don't forget about making sure it performs terribly by designing levels around the worst-case scenarios for the engine.

Torm's problem is that he wants to impress through technical details rather than through gameplay. It's always "wow, so many linedefs!" with his projects. He's never been concerned about making levels that flow well and are fun to play.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
If you somehow don't have it yet, Unreal Gold is free on GOG and Steam for it's 20th anniversary.

https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/998929411033399296

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HolyKrap posted:

If you somehow don't have it yet, Unreal Gold is free on GOG and Steam for it's 20th anniversary.

Nope. No. Absolutely not. It cannot be 20 years ago. I refuse. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tippis posted:

Nope. No. Absolutely not. It cannot be 20 years ago. I refuse. :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Klaus88 posted:

Is chapter 3 cancelled

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there a good way to play Unreal on OS X these days? The official port is too old to run.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That I can readily accept.
Unreal being 20 years old, not so much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HolyKrap posted:

https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/998929411033399296

Thanks for this! After checking out LGR's retrospective, I was thinking about how I've never played Unreal (just UT/UT2K4, which I loved). Now I can check it out! :toot:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Unreal is amazing, everyone who likes classic FPS should go play it.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

:cheers: Thanks for this!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also GOG has a sale on the other games they offer; 80% off, so $2 a pop.

..........Steam doesn't.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Is Unreal 2 any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Kamrat posted:

Is Unreal 2 any good?

There are hundreds of things that I truly love about Unreal 2 from a cinematic, aesthetic, design and narrative standpoint.

It is not a very good videogame, though.