Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Excellent idea, Dukefest 2019 let's make it happen! Always bet on Dukefest 2019. If we stream it we'll probably get some lootcrates and snacks deals etc, little bit of a bonus there.

Just two strong dudes dressed like Duke hanging out on camera, drinking Dew, eating Duke Burgers, and always betting on Duke. Two powerful dudes in the prime of their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just two strong dudes dressed like Duke hanging out on camera, drinking Dew, eating Duke Burgers, and always betting on Duke. Two powerful dudes in the prime of their life.

Two sensitive eloquent "give a drat about the environment" strong dudes, reminiscing about the meaning of life, celebrating the kick rear end chew gum lifestyle. And saying hell, we don't have an answer to the panda situation, baby! But we care. And we're all out of gum. Brother, you've got yourself a deal.

In all seriousness, right now this idea you're bringing to the table, it's like I just won an Oscar. I didn't expect this, it's usually Jack Nicholson who gets it! Groooooovy.

(the Night Force VHS box says it best.)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 15, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Heavy Metal posted:

Always bet on Dukefest 2019.

I remember the Settlin' for Sam tag, but look which game we still discuss to this day!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
We should be hearing more from Planet Badass reasonably soon, I figure.

Say, didn't we blow up the BFG10K back in Quake 2?

Edit: Apparently THQ Nordic has picked up Timesplitters? That sounds like it could be good.

catlord fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 15, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
OH poo poo TIMESPLITTERS RERELEASE :supaburn:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Convex posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-15-timesplitters-has-a-new-owner-and-plans-are-afoot

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

Hoooly CRAAAAAAP

I'd love to play Future Perfect on mouse + keyboard.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
THQ Nordic owns a shitload of franchises that they can't really afford to maintain with new games but I feel like Timesplitters is a series that could quite easily be made on a budget.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's also already a very rough port of (the demo version of) Timesplitters 2 hidden in Homefront The Revolution, so quick ports of the old games are also a possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCzAXuLibk

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Apparently the TS2 remaster was mostly done already, hence the couple of levels included in Homefront 2

Side note: I bought HF2 just to play that part but never got far enough through the story to play it :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I call dibs (not really) on making the TS thread when it's officially announced! :toot:

Favourite game franchise, by far. Really hopeful. Don't break my heart, THQ!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Don't break my heart, THQ!
It's been years since OG THQ shut down, but this is still a dangerous request to make.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Turok Bundle (1+2 remastered) is about £3.80 on Fanatical right now with code SUMMER10. Activates on Steam. All time low!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That's a fantastic deal! I've been playing through them the last couple weeks, they're a great buy :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Convex posted:

I've waited so, so long

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I call dibs (not really) on making the TS thread when it's officially announced! :toot:

Favourite game franchise, by far. Really hopeful. Don't break my heart, THQ!

I regret not having my forums name be Duckman Drake

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zaphod42 posted:

I regret not having my forums name be Duckman Drake

Help the forums out and change it! I actually might change my custom title to something like "The original Timesplitter", while keeping Flash Man on there. I'm not very notable on these forums, but goddammit, I'm never switching from that avatar.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Convex posted:

Turok Bundle (1+2 remastered) is about £3.80 on Fanatical right now with code SUMMER10. Activates on Steam. All time low!

Well who can resist. Gonna put cheats on and relive my childhood of 100%ing Turok 2 with the Razorsaw.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Convex posted:

this is a good deal and these remasters loving rule. if someone doesnt have them already they should get them now!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I only ever played Timesplitters 1 and have fond memories of completing the challenge mode during summer holidays. I hope we see that along with 2 so I can finally try it out

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Man you're in for a treat with 2 then, there are so many challenges it's ridiculous. Honestly TS1 feels more like a proof of concept than an actual finished game in comparison.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, I only played TS1 once, but the impression that I got was that it was basically a barebones prototype.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I missed Timesplitters for the most part, I was neither allowed consoles nor FPSs until really late, but I had a friend with a Gamecube and one of the games. He made zombie levels is the map editor and we'd take turns running through them, but I do remember seeing a level in Siberia or something? I'd like to see a PC port, from the praise it gets I almost considered picking up the Homefront sequel for that easter egg, but even on sale I realise that's a dumb, bad plan.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I've only ever played TS2 and thought it was... eh? It was pretty okay. Didn't really care for the stealth level (Tokyo? Chicago? Forget which), liked the rest a fair bit, didn't bother unlocking everything because it was made by former Rareware developers and we all know how Rareware likes making 100%ing their games require you to be Literally God so life is too short to waste on that.

I did watch my college roommates play through Future Perfect, though, and in retrospect that game looked way better.

catlord posted:

I do remember seeing a level in Siberia or something?
Literally the first level in TS2's single-player campaign is a Siberian dam.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love timesplitters because at that time all I could ask for from an FPS was more guns, more levels, more characters, and Timesplitters loving delivered and then some.

Also like Halo it let you make your own levels ON CONSOLE with a gui editor, and let you customize and tweak EVERYTHING.

You could go in and change the weapon spawns and change starting health and add weird game conditions and poo poo. As a teenager that was all I wanted.

Then Halo came out and it was like, whoa, vehicles? Aliens with good AI? Whoa

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I played the gently caress out of Future Perfect but I had no idea it was the third in a trilogy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Convex posted:

Shows as $10 for US, even with coupon. Priced higher over here maybe?

Do you know if it's regionlocked or not? Might have to find a UK person to get it for me if not.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And it's even more expensive in € by the way (€10.07 after coupon, so $11.42 at current exchange rate).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Weird, must just be a UK thing then. I'd offer to buy another but don't know if the codes are region locked?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Convex posted:

Weird, must just be a UK thing then. I'd offer to buy another but don't know if the codes are region locked?

Add me on Steam, I'm down to drop $5 to test it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 15, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Add me on Steam, I'm down to drop $5 to test it.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Nals

Sure, just sent you an invite.

edit: for anyone wondering, keys appear to work in the US as well!

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 15, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Lemon-Lime posted:

I played the gently caress out of Future Perfect but I had no idea it was the third in a trilogy.

Future Perfect's hero, Cortez, is portrayed similar to how I would have loved a modern Duke Nukem game. Yeah, he's a goofy dingus, but he's also a genuine hero. You laugh at and with him in equal measure. I think DNF's attempt to obnoxiously portray Duke as though we still lived in the 90's is what made a lot of the humor fall flat with me. The recurring gag in Future Perfect of Cortez's stupid(ly great) one liner, "It's time to split!" getting nothing but groans had me in stitches.

Speaking of which, I couldn't make it 30 minutes into DNF so I just went back and played through DN3D again. The fan episodes Duke Hard and Metropolitan Mayhem were both fucken doooope.

Also also, it looks like this Doom total conversion, Ashes: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47573&sid=fb2d2b77d67a68ce587c91acdefb2d59 is going to be out relatively soon after about 3 years of development. The demo is super cool and it feels like something straight outta the 90's, like a long lost game that would have been released just before Strife and got overshadowed by Quake.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Kinda wish Perfect Dark came out on PC. Also, can't really bet on THQ either considering how they went down last time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Future Perfect's hero, Cortez, is portrayed similar to how I would have loved a modern Duke Nukem game. Yeah, he's a goofy dingus, but he's also a genuine hero. You laugh at and with him in equal measure. I think DNF's attempt to obnoxiously portray Duke as though we still lived in the 90's is what made a lot of the humor fall flat with me. The recurring gag in Future Perfect of Cortez's stupid(ly great) one liner, "It's time to split!" getting nothing but groans had me in stitches.

Speaking of which, I couldn't make it 30 minutes into DNF so I just went back and played through DN3D again. The fan episodes Duke Hard and Metropolitan Mayhem were both fucken doooope.

Also also, it looks like this Doom total conversion, Ashes: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47573&sid=fb2d2b77d67a68ce587c91acdefb2d59 is going to be out relatively soon after about 3 years of development. The demo is super cool and it feels like something straight outta the 90's, like a long lost game that would have been released just before Strife and got overshadowed by Quake.

You quit during the non combat intro portion, is that even really a try. If cartoon sex acts and that style of humor are a deal breaker, how did you not know that was in the game? I mentioned it was HL2 meets Halo 3 meets Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, granted no one has played that, not even me. I get we just have different taste, and hey at least you tried it to some degree, but you could be driving a forklift right now if you kept playing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Kinda wish Perfect Dark came out on PC. Also, can't really bet on THQ either considering how they went down last time.

Current-day THQ has nothing to do with the old one, it's a European company led by some rich entrepreneur investor guy who's making obscene amounts of money by simply buying old catalogues and reissuing them over and over again. They're not very ambitious but they're at absolutely no risk of going under - they bought Koch Media and Deep Silver earlier in the year, they're doing fine.

What's disappointing about THQ Nordic is that they own a lot of franchises and even studios but they're not spending big money on new games or returning IPs - to give one example, they're working on Darksiders 3 right now and it's clearly being made on one zillionth of the budget of the old games.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That Darksiders guy Joe Madureira is one of the best X-Men artists of the 90s, random note. Maybe the best, though Jim Lee had the definitive lunchbox.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1029868332369948672

Related to Blood possibly?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Holy crap Turok 2 is a completely different experience at 60fps with full draw distance and kb+m controls. I got through most of Port of Adia but I think I'm going to restart on Hard because the game is so much easier when it's not chugging along at 15fps. Incredible!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Could be No One Lives Forever possibly also, lotta gems out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd pay for a non-profit to liberate an IP into the public domain.