Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RtCW has a perfectly functional and fine port I just played through this month on game pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
ioRtCW is what you want

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I played RTCW last year with no mods except some compatibility/widescreen stuff and it held up plenty fine. Try out ioRTCW, sure, but it's not a game that needs it badly - it's from the Quake 3 era, stuff was pretty firmed up by then and it's got solid gameplay already.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How is RealRTCW anyways? I'll probably check it out next time I play that game.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Max Wilco posted:

Rewatched some of Civvie's videos today, and I realized that I haven't watched quite a few of his videos because it's on games that I own, but haven't played yet (namely: Dusk, Duke Nukem Manhatten Project, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Clive Barker's Undying, Ion Fury, Outlaws, and something else that I'm forgetting).

I've got Dusk and Duke Manhattan downloaded. I was going to download RtCW, but then I remembered that the game has some compatibility issues. I bought it on GOG as well, but I saw there was a mod on Steam called RealRTCW. I was wondering, though, if that mod is something you should use if you've never played RtCW before.

RealRTCW is how I got a few friends to play the game because there aren't any compatibility things to screw with, it's launch and play.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mordja posted:

How is RealRTCW anyways? I'll probably check it out next time I play that game.

I enjoyed it, although it's an overhaul mod as opposed to some QOL tweaks to the game.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I didn't try it for my recent playthrough as it mentions overhauling enemy AI. I had visions of mods of old that turned everything into Blood cultists.

The only tweaks the OG .exe needs if memory serves is just adjusting the cfg to a modern resolution, setting the FOV etc. Nothing arduous.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I didn't try it for my recent playthrough as it mentions overhauling enemy AI. I had visions of mods of old that turned everything into Blood cultists.

The only tweaks the OG .exe needs if memory serves is just adjusting the cfg to a modern resolution, setting the FOV etc. Nothing arduous.

the nazi elite guard ladies have a pretty good blood cultist impression going on already, you don't need to mod that in

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've played the first two episodes of Postal BD and I gotta say, those levels get expansive.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

I've played the first two episodes of Postal BD and I gotta say, those levels get expansive.

Yeah I know some people remarked that the very first level gave them the false sense that every level was going to be similarly massive and freeform...but frankly, they're still almost universally large levels that can take a while to thoroughly explore and 100%.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Quake Brutalist Jam is out, bringing with it 35 testamonies to cold concrete.

Back to Saturn X Episode 3 is due "late next year", and will bring it nine new texture sets alongside the three from the first two episodes.

Reelism 2 got an update, mostly just bugfixes based on what we saw from people playing it on livestreams for frankly disturbing amounts of time, but Big Swingy is less useless now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Only marginally thread relevant but I've spent a sizable chunk of the last 12 hours or so learning how to do some pretty basic editing of Team Fortress 2* maps(not really altering the map itself, just unpacking the map, adding and renaming some things to make it compatible with a weapons mod a server I frequent uses, then packing it back together) and while it's not particularly hard or complicated once you figure out what to do, getting that all figured out was one hassle after another, between that and seeing all the hurdles the people making the mod this is for have had lately**, I have a new appreciation for the people who make games and mods

*specifically the Team Fortress 2 Classic version of the game

**including among other things a whole saga relating to them trying to get a version of the BFG-9000 made for the mod that wouldn't cause the server to crash when fired(mod actually has quite a few retro FPS weapons included in various forms)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Now that Prodeus is getting very hard to avoid dying in certain situations (on the hardest difficulty) the respawn system is really starting to bother me. In the first half of the game where I could reasonably do a no-death run of a level I didn't mind it, since if I died I could just replay it later and be reasonably sure I could do it without dying. But now I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do it on these later levels, and there's not really any opportunity to even try unless I want to waste hours and hours restarting these 20 minute long maps whenever I get one-shotted. I'm only a couple of maps into the Prodeus Dimension or whatever, but I'm losing steam and not really sure I'll end up finishing it.

I could lower the difficulty I guess, but it's in a great spot other than when a "gotcha" moment drops and I get suddenly obliterated.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah I hadn't commented until now, but I hate the 'you can't lose!' systems in games, like here in Prodeus, or Bioshock with the Vita Chambers (where at least some basic enemies could respawn, I think?) or the classic Prey. I also hate the other extreme of hard games with only (and sparse) checkpoints.

In fact it seems so much a weird choice for a game that tries to be so much to be a boomer shooter. Was the thought that 'hardcore' gamers will do no-death runs while the casual players actually would like respawning and cheesing hard parts?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could turn off the vita chambers in Bioshock at least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I didn't, I just never used them and used quicksaves instead.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

I didn't, I just never used them and used quicksaves instead.

Good point, having the vitachambers didn't mean you couldn't quicksave / quickload as usual.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Every time I replay System Shock 2 I'm surprised that there are respawn points. I always make sure they're all activated, yes, but use them?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah I hadn't commented until now, but I hate the 'you can't lose!' systems in games, like here in Prodeus, or Bioshock with the Vita Chambers (where at least some basic enemies could respawn, I think?) or the classic Prey. I also hate the other extreme of hard games with only (and sparse) checkpoints.

In fact it seems so much a weird choice for a game that tries to be so much to be a boomer shooter. Was the thought that 'hardcore' gamers will do no-death runs while the casual players actually would like respawning and cheesing hard parts?

I appreciated how the original System Shock required you to turn them on. There was also a resource cost in the fact that Stuff didn't respawn and you weren't given full health when you recovered. So if you used the respawn chambers over and over again eventually you'd run out of ammo, health, supplies, etc. So it was better to stay vigilant with your saves.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Every time I replay System Shock 2 I'm surprised that there are respawn points. I always make sure they're all activated, yes, but use them?

There's a cost to using them, though, so you can't just endlessly fling yourself against the obstacle and wear it down like in Bioshock.

Also, the med/sci A respawn point is the site of one of the funniest things I've ever seen in SS2 -- got so juiced up on speed buffs I killed myself running into a wall, respawned, didn't realize the buffs remained in effect across respawns, rocketed out of the respawn chamber at top speed, tripped over a pipe on the floor and died instantly.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hit a wall in Prodeus about halfway in I'm not sure this will change but the more arena based encounters in the Prodean area are losing me after I ADHD murdertranced my way through the entire first half of the game. I hope this opens up again soon because I just want to run and gun instead

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I appreciated how the original System Shock required you to turn them on. There was also a resource cost in the fact that Stuff didn't respawn and you weren't given full health when you recovered. So if you used the respawn chambers over and over again eventually you'd run out of ammo, health, supplies, etc. So it was better to stay vigilant with your saves.

In System Shock and System Shock 2 the respawn chambers kind of made sense -- we're dealing with a high tech corporate space station or state of the art flagship where, if they had the technology, you'd expect these kind of things to be in place in the interest of safety.

In Bioshock it seemed a bit out of place, since the idea of a free "bring me back to life" machine in a hyperobectivist society just didn't mesh. A better system thematically (and gameplay wise) would be to have a hybrid of the two System Shock systems -- you should have to find a Vita Chamber and pay a large sum of resources or money to activate it, otherwise you're going to have to slog your way back from the most recent one. I suppose it's handwaved that they are all tuned to bring Ryan back from death and your character shares enough genetics with him to be able to use it but that would be, like, just as much a monetized technology as plasmids if not moreso.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It does mesh pretty well with the idea that Rapture being "hyperobectivist" didn't make its society good or fair at all though, and wouldn't have even if Ryan had adhered to it fully without being a massive hypocrite

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Volte posted:

Now that Prodeus is getting very hard to avoid dying in certain situations (on the hardest difficulty) the respawn system is really starting to bother me. In the first half of the game where I could reasonably do a no-death run of a level I didn't mind it, since if I died I could just replay it later and be reasonably sure I could do it without dying. But now I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do it on these later levels, and there's not really any opportunity to even try unless I want to waste hours and hours restarting these 20 minute long maps whenever I get one-shotted. I'm only a couple of maps into the Prodeus Dimension or whatever, but I'm losing steam and not really sure I'll end up finishing it.

I could lower the difficulty I guess, but it's in a great spot other than when a "gotcha" moment drops and I get suddenly obliterated.

Turin Turambar posted:

In my opinion it's a remarkably stupid mechanic to force on players in a boomer shooter, and the devs seem hellbent on keeping it that way. It's very odd. I hated it in Bioshock and wasn't a big fan of it in System Shock 2, but like a lot of people have already mentioned, you could at least avoid using it there and fall back on a conventional save system instead.

I think I'd be okay with it (or at least more accepting) in Prodeus if the respawn system was fueled with something like a lives system--something you had to earn in some fashion. But between that and what appears to be a very weird difficulty curve that snaps from "sleepwalking easy" to "ballbusting hard", it just exacerbates an atypical, anachronistic mechanic that's seemingly never been popular in any game it's been included in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like I said, waiting a little to actually buy Prodeus in the hopes that it's changed/someone mods it. I have never had the patience to do full level restarts and really disliked that checkpoint system in whatever beta I played way back when.

E: Remind me, can you even quit mid-level and pick up near where you left off?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Quake/status/1575515128098873344

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maybe it’s because I’m primarily a console player but quick saving never felt right to me. Not knocking them, clearly some games and levels are designed for them in mind.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wild T posted:

In System Shock and System Shock 2 the respawn chambers kind of made sense -- we're dealing with a high tech corporate space station or state of the art flagship where, if they had the technology, you'd expect these kind of things to be in place in the interest of safety.

In Bioshock it seemed a bit out of place, since the idea of a free "bring me back to life" machine in a hyperobectivist society just didn't mesh. A better system thematically (and gameplay wise) would be to have a hybrid of the two System Shock systems -- you should have to find a Vita Chamber and pay a large sum of resources or money to activate it, otherwise you're going to have to slog your way back from the most recent one. I suppose it's handwaved that they are all tuned to bring Ryan back from death and your character shares enough genetics with him to be able to use it but that would be, like, just as much a monetized technology as plasmids if not moreso.

Bioshock 2 incorporating the vitachamber into the plot was neat.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mordja posted:

Like I said, waiting a little to actually buy Prodeus in the hopes that it's changed/someone mods it. I have never had the patience to do full level restarts and really disliked that checkpoint system in whatever beta I played way back when.

E: Remind me, can you even quit mid-level and pick up near where you left off?
No, there’s no resuming at all. They seem to want to keep it “run-based” where you play the levels repeatedly in full to get the best continuous run you can, except they made the levels huge so doing that kind of sucks.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could turn off the vita chambers in Bioshock at least.

That was patched in some time after launch (in a patch that not every version got, the JP 360 release certainly didn't)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe it’s because I’m primarily a console player but quick saving never felt right to me. Not knocking them, clearly some games and levels are designed for them in mind.

Yeah I can definitely agree that the devs are trying something novel here. It's just weird to me that the solution they landed on is literally one step away from simply having the player drop to their knee for a few seconds whenever they run out of health, only to get back up and resume the fight ad infinitum as if nothing happened.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I can definitely agree that the devs are trying something novel here. It's just weird to me that the solution they landed on is literally one step away from simply having the player drop to their knee for a few seconds whenever they run out of health, only to get back up and resume the fight ad infinitum as if nothing happened.

I think they should probably add quicksaves regardless since it’s an fps staple.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think they should probably add quicksaves regardless since it’s an fps staple.

You know what else is an FPS staple?

Nail guns. They work almost as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Siiiick

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

drat right. I’d play a classic doom mod that put one in.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Counterpoint: staple guns?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/CSoftproducts/status/1575534185355579392?s=20&t=fbfOSPelNVCvxpjVZg28-A

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

Counterpoint: staple guns?

Void Bastards has one I believe

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The vita chambers in BioShock never bothered me because I just quick saved/ quick loaded instead. I mean really if you're using quicksave and quickload you don't have any right complaining about vita chambers and Nexus points lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Angry_Ed posted:

Void Bastards has one I believe

Yes, I can vouch for this.

Also, Void Bastards is good. Very good.