Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There is a pretty cool fan remake of M1 called Marathon Resurrection for Unreal Tournament.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/marathon-resurrection

It adds the shotguns and the flechette smg into the arsenal :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I tried to do KISS psycho circus but it was so loving gloomy i just felt depressed the whole time. it wasnt like a scary twisted circus, it was like a fuckin closed circus, which is more melancholy than spooky.

i've tried to play through it twice on my ongoing quest to play all the weird FPSes i tried the demos for from PC magazine demo discs back as a kid and there's something just so uniquely and singularly fatiguing about it, honestly. The Gauntlet-ish monster generators make it so much of a slog that i've never made it past the 5th or 6th level

The only other game that i've been completely unable to pick back up is the atrocious Klingon Honor Guard. Just an absolute ugly slog

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there an easy way to play marathon 1/2 on steam deck?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You may remember Mega64 doing a wholesome version of Duke Nukem (with JSJ!) in 2011 called Doug Huggem

This thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGu4zQgTvg

Well

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there an easy way to play marathon 1/2 on steam deck?
They're all free with a modern source port here. To make it even easier, they'll be making them available through Steam itself in the presumably-nigh future.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Well this is just fantastic news

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I remember being intrigued by Psycho Circus back in ye olden days of the LP subforum where people were doing LPs of all sorts of crusty old shooters. I wouldn't say it looked good even back then, but it looked different and quirky enough to make me wish it was at least easily available on digital platforms so I could try it myself. Other games in this milieu included Blood 2 and SHOGO.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Shogo was a game I had on a demo disk that ran like poo poo on an ancient win95 machine my family owned, that I'd always wanted to try out later because MECHS and was gutted to discover it was rough as hell

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I never got into Marathon for the extremely mature reason of not liking FPS games with cartoon sprites instead of sick digitized clay models

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shoehead posted:

Shogo was a game I had on a demo disk that ran like poo poo on an ancient win95 machine my family owned, that I'd always wanted to try out later because MECHS and was gutted to discover it was rough as hell

This but Slave Zero

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm doing another playthrough of M2 right now with a mod that adds a soundtrack. Having a good time. I always thought of M2 had an official soundtrack it would sound similar to Alexander Brandon et al's work on Unreal.

Do you have a link to that? One of the things I love about Marathon is the soundtrack, so hearing 2 doesn't have one is disappointing.

I need to jump back into Marathon, I set it down a bit ago and never got around to picking it back up, but I do quite like it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wait, Phantom Fury comes out April 23rd? is this game just being sent to die while the studio collapses, or what

it's not even listed as Early Access

cursed release. cursed release. cursed release

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

wait, Phantom Fury comes out April 23rd? is this game just being sent to die while the studio collapses, or what

it's not even listed as Early Access

cursed release. cursed release. cursed release

you're suggesting that Slipgate Ironworks, purveyors of ROTT 2013, Graven and Kingpin Reloaded, would release an unfinished game?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Well this is just fantastic news

I know! I can't wait for Doug Huggem either!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

catlord posted:

Do you have a link to that? One of the things I love about Marathon is the soundtrack, so hearing 2 doesn't have one is disappointing.

I need to jump back into Marathon, I set it down a bit ago and never got around to picking it back up, but I do quite like it.

There might be other options out there but I use the Marathon 2 Special Edition plugin since it's drag and drop, no need to delve into lua. Mixture of M1 remixes and fanmade tracks.

I'm not aware of any comparable project for Infinity sadly.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've got some unused steam keys if anyone wants them:
Forgive Me Father
Nightmare Reaper
Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

EDIT: Claimed

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 29, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SpaceAceJase posted:

Forgive Me Father
Nightmare Reaper

Could I nab Forgive Me Father? Always loved its aesthetic!

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
I'd love to give Wrath a fair shake, if it's available.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

skasion posted:

There might be other options out there but I use the Marathon 2 Special Edition plugin since it's drag and drop, no need to delve into lua. Mixture of M1 remixes and fanmade tracks.

Amazing, thanks very much for posting this - it makes a big difference!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SpaceAceJase posted:

Forgive Me Father
Nightmare Reaper

Nightmare Reaper me up!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Deakul posted:

Could I nab Forgive Me Father? Always loved its aesthetic!

thedangergroove posted:

I'd love to give Wrath a fair shake, if it's available.

verbal enema posted:

Nightmare Reaper me up!

Done! Check pm's

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thanks d00d!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Volte posted:

In a curveball nobody will ever see coming, it'll turn out they're doing the Oblivion remake

On that note I think a 2.5D CRPG in the vein of Morrowind but with the Doom engine or something like it could be awesome if there was real talent and vision behind it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Convex posted:

you're suggesting that Slipgate Ironworks, purveyors of ROTT 2013, Graven and Kingpin Reloaded, would release an unfinished game?
i actually enjoyed ROTT 2013 even though it's a C/D-grade game, but yea they really botched Kingpin it seems like. needlessly. Graven probably wasn't going to be amazing but when the layoffs happened there was basically no chance that they were going to be able to properly finish or polish it

that's why Phantom Fury coming out next month is so cursed. 3DR has to know how rough it is. if they charge $20+ for it, it's practically malfeasance

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imagine how bad its gonna be, haha. Someone should totally play it, as a joke.

It could be me, but you know, as a joke.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you can make it all the way through 50 hours of Fantasian (as we both have) you can probably make it through, what, 3 hours of gameplay I'm assuming Phantom Fury will have? tops?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

catlord posted:

Here's the one I use

https://simplici7y.com/items/m2se-music-plugin/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

if you can make it all the way through 50 hours of Fantasian (as we both have) you can probably make it through, what, 3 hours of gameplay I'm assuming Phantom Fury will have? tops?

I was going to guess 6-8, but achieving that with things like an extremely dull vehicle section without any meaningful challenge and levels with arbitrary and boring backtracking with poorly signposted layouts. Maybe if we get real spicy a bonus mode that just consists of unfinished level parts they couldnt be bothered to stitch into a whole.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

skasion posted:

Thanks!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

Imagine how bad its gonna be, haha. Someone should totally play it, as a joke.

It could be me, but you know, as a joke.

I too as well also will play it but unironically because I might have brain damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And I will play Phantom Fury

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
This is the thread's "I Am Spartacus" scene from Ben Hur but for people who will play Phantom Fury

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I will play Phantom Fury. :hist101:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I fukkin' wont

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

verbal enema posted:

I fukkin' wont

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Done! Check pm's

Thanks!!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I will either play it or I'll watch it on YouTube, I've still been meaning to see Spartacus. I did see Ben Hur though.

That Doug Huggem game is gonna rule.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spartacus is a good movie, check it out.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I will play Phantom Fury and like it, and then I'll post in this thread to defend its honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not an issue because it’s not gonna come out