Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

...all these bugs, you should really be reporting them so that something can be done.

The bugs are pfhor. Punch or shoot them to kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

small change posted:

The links to Real Guns seem to be out of date too.

This is the link I posted earlier to RGH: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

The thread is a year old, but the most recent revision should be on the Mediafire links in the OP of that thread. Filename is RGH_1_11_2_ZDoom.pk3.

small change
Nov 11, 2006

tooooooo bad posted:

You're dragging and dropping the Beautiful Doom wads onto the GZDoom executable right?

I am now, thanks! I've probably made it painfully clear that I'm new to this stuff. Doom is one of my favourites and was always afraid I'd hate any changes being made to it but the new animation on the guns in Beautiful Doom is absolutely fantastic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Awesome new thread, great job!

Just found this as i was looking around for doom weapon skins for doom 3 (im updating my old flashlight mod):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr2rFSfiRaM

Download Link from video description

Looks like its well worth a try.

Long life to old fps games!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

small change posted:

I'm using GZdoom and installed the latest build I could find of beautiful Doom. It doesn't seem to really change anything though. Am I missing something on how to get it working other than inserting the files into the Gzdoom folder?

Ok, this kind of thing gets asked enough that I think a little blurb is needed in the OP.

Here's a Brief Guide To Doing Doom Stuff:

One Time Setup:
1. Get my launcher QLZ from the OP. Stick the exe in your gzdoom directory.
2. Copy your doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc from wherever they are now into the gzdoom directory.
3. Run launcher.exe
4. Select gzdoom.exe for the gzdoom location (it's not obvious at all but it also supports chocolate doom and prboom+)
5. Select your gzdoom directory as the IWAD directory

To Play Something:
1. Select the IWAD you want from the list
2. Click and drag the wads you want into additional files
2a. Use up and down to rearrange the files if needed - I think Beautiful Doom may need this but I don't remember the correct order.
3. Click Launch

It will remember all those settings between runs. If you want to switch between different things you play a lot, type a name in for the profile (at the bottom) and click save. Then you can switch profiles by selecting one and clicking load.

It supports most useful doom filetypes - wad, pk3, deh, replays (in prboom+), and savegames.

I rather like adding my gzdoom savegame to my profile for a megawad that I'm playing (I usually only play 1 or 2 levels at a time). Then I can just hit launch and get dropped right back into the action.

Hope that helps!

I updated the github page with that as well.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Aleph One has gone a bit too far up its own rear end. I don't care about stuff like advanced lighting or 3d models, but at the very least it should have mouse controls that don't suck rear end and a menu you can access from ingame. The lack of those two things in particular has pretty much guaranteed that anyone trying the game for the first time now will be driven away.

I'm actually working on a Marathon style mod, but I'm doing it in Doom because I just don't want to have to deal with Aleph One's lovely controls and physics, not to mention the lack of something like DECORATE to let me easily define the behaviors of enemies and the world.

Lork fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 25, 2011

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Got AEoD working, a shitton of fun. I wish they had more to mix up between the classes, though.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

JackMackerel posted:

Got AEoD working, a shitton of fun. I wish they had more to mix up between the classes, though.

AEoD is a lot of fun. I was actually a little surprised when I saw what cacoaward it won http://www.doomworld.com/17years/others.php :smith:

I mean its not like its trying to be some games as art highbrow masterpiece. Its just supposed to be a lot of fun stuff, and it is.

ChurlishToff
Oct 24, 2010

BRONY SPOTTED
I loved AEoD. Some pals of mine are coming over and we're going to have a lil' lan party. Is there a method of playing it multiplayer or are we going to be stuck with playing dukeplus 'til our eyes melt?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

InterFaced posted:

AEoD is a lot of fun. I was actually a little surprised when I saw what cacoaward it won http://www.doomworld.com/17years/others.php :smith:

I mean its not like its trying to be some games as art highbrow masterpiece. Its just supposed to be a lot of fun stuff, and it is.

The criticism on the forums boiled down to "this is demeaning to me as a map maker because it means the player is not playing the map the way I designed it."

In other words, just anti-fun elitism. I don't know why the Doomworld forums have such a monopoly on it.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

MrBims posted:

The criticism on the forums boiled down to "this is demeaning to me as a map maker because it means the player is not playing the map the way I designed it."

In other words, just anti-fun elitism. I don't know why the Doomworld forums have such a monopoly on it.

Aside from the fact that I genuinely think AEoD is a lot of fun, It just seems extra dick-ish to give the "worst wad" award to something that has obviously had a LOT of work put into it just because its not your thing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
A list of early FPSes should probably include an game for the TRS-80 Color Computer called Phantom Slayer. I was released in 1982, and involves running through a random maze, in first person, and avoiding or shooting phantoms.

You can play it via Mocha, a browser-based java TRS-80 Color Computer emulator. To select the game in question, click Setup, select the BIN tab, then find Phantom Slayer in the list.

And along the lines of Ultima Underworld there's another 1982 game for the Color Computer that's sorta midway between a RPG and a FPS, Dungeons of Daggorath. It's another maze crawl, this one fantasy themed. And instead of just mashing on the space bar to shoot things, you've got to deal with fairly complicated inventory, and issue commands to equip and use gear in real time. So you're walking down the hallway by typing MOVE (or just `M'), attacking with the weapon in your right hand with ATTACK RIGHT (or just `A R') and so on. Pretty sophisticated for its time (and the available resource footprint).

You can also play this one via Mocha.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does anyone know what the Quad Machine drink is? Apparently, iD frequented some bar in Mesquite so much that they created a couple of drinks for them.
I can't seem to find any definitions of it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished playing through the 3DR levels in War of Attrition. I really cannot recommend this mod highly enough; it's Duke3d turned up to absolutely insane levels. It starts out pretty much like normal DN3D, and then by the end you're willing tactical nukes into existence, raising slain enemies to fight for you, firing black holes and incendiary missiles, and using pipebombs that spawn dozens of seeking flashbang submunitions.

And you need it, too, because the enemies get upgraded along with you. It's incredibly over the top and possibly the most :black101: FPS experience I've had.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Oh god WGRealms you started so good why are you doing this to me with the Hell Freezes Over boss :(

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Vita posted:

Oh god WGRealms you started so good why are you doing this to me with the Hell Freezes Over boss :(

the boss is amazingly easy if you saved up POW.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ChurlishToff posted:

I loved AEoD. Some pals of mine are coming over and we're going to have a lil' lan party. Is there a method of playing it multiplayer or are we going to be stuck with playing dukeplus 'til our eyes melt?

AEoD can *kind of* work in Skulltag, but it has to be an old version and I can't remember which one. My buddies and I get together every now and then and run a LAN party with it, and right now I'm busy trying to make my own weapon compilation with its stuff that's Skulltag-compatible.

Don't count on co-op working in zDoom or anything, though. All the stuff going on makes you go out of sync very quickly.

Learning how to code weapons using Decorate has been an interesting experience. The scripting is pretty clever, but the unfortunate thing is that there's like 2 or 3 functions in zDoom that aren't in Skulltag that would really open things up for the latter, like true heatseeking missiles.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

InterFaced posted:

That has got to be the dumbest review I've seen in a while, and I've waded through IMDB user ratings.

quote:

Æons of Death is a mish mash of stuff; Doom stuff, Strife stuff, Heretic stuff, Duke stuff, Half Life stuff... stuff from games I have never heard of or played.

please diaf

BACK ON TOPIC

Is that Nefaria RPG mod for DN3D worth checking out? The RPG elements look like a worthwhile gimmick, but it looks bizarre to play.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

Is that Nefaria RPG mod for DN3D worth checking out? The RPG elements look like a worthwhile gimmick, but it looks bizarre to play.

I would say War of Attrition does the same central gimmick (rpg stats and gear with modified/new enemies in the original Duke Nukem levels and new maps) more elegantly.

Nefaria's Reign is more interesting in the baffling trainwreck sort of way, where you have a party composed of Duke Nukem, Lo Wang, the Sailor Scouts, Bubsy the Bobcat, and the mod author's fanfiction characters shooting occasionally invincible monsters with loads of stats and buying several dozen power-ups, many of which work for only one character.

It is absolutely the strangest, most internet mod I've ever seen. It's like mainlining a deviantart account into an artery.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
For the sake of getting things done, those interested should join irc.freenode.net #alephone to discuss the problems and bugs you're having with the actual developers.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SavageMessiah posted:

Ok, this kind of thing gets asked enough that I think a little blurb is needed in the OP.

Here's a Brief Guide To Doing Doom Stuff:

Thanks for the guide, because I really do want some sort of frontend for all of this, but the launcher itself is acting strangely:

There is seemingly no way to resize and reveal those buttons, and I'm assuming I have to, as when I select the gzdoom.exe and directory (by pressing the slivers of buttons that are still visible over on the right), I still see no IWADS in the dropdown list, so I guess there's probably an 'apply' button over there somewhere that I can't see.

Hope you can straighten me out, because it seems helpful!

edit: ZDL is doing the same sort of thing, having buttons that I can't see. I run Win7 64 bit with 1920x1080 resolution, if that makes a difference. Thanks. :)
edit2: hahaha, ZDL Sharp looks even more jacked up. I probably need to update something in windows, Visual C++ files or something, I have no idea. I don't have problems with anything else, just 3 doom launchers. :argh:

Chinook fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 25, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

All of your text and buttons are around twice the size of what I'm seeing. Try disabling old fart mode in your display settings.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mr_Person posted:

All of your text and buttons are around twice the size of what I'm seeing. Try disabling old fart mode in your display settings.

Yeah, that did it. I had 125% text size due to my resolution being stupidly high for how far away my monitor sits from me, and I never ran into a problem with it until today. Oh well!

Still, ZDL looked so insane, every piece of text and button were smashed into the upper left of the window, and the rest was totally blank. It was silly.

Everything works now though, so thanks! :)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Odamex is probably worthy of a mention in the OP. It's a no frills client/server Doom sourceport that runs on a ton of platforms and tries to retain a more oldschool feel than stuff like Skulltag; basically what ZDaemon should have been.

Notable for being able to load WADs on the fly, allowing creation of servers that use maps from multiple PWADs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I decided to try some of the fanmaps included in War of Attrition, and ouch. Most of them seem to be much harder than the 3DR maps. At least one was buggy and required noclipping. Few of them seem to have the same flow and sense of direction that the 3DR maps have.

Are there any fan-made episodes that might work well with WoA (if this is even possible)? Or should I take a break from WoA and check out WGRealms?

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

For the sake of getting things done, those interested should join irc.freenode.net #alephone to discuss the problems and bugs you're having with the actual developers.

Joined #alephone.

Ops there are the same people who said "this will never be fixed, feel free to fix it yourself but your changes will never be considered for inclusion in A1" originally. Not seeing a lot of incentive to report the same issues to the same people who originally declared them WONTFIX.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
loving awesome OP. Though I'd argue that Rise of the Triad should get it's own little spotlight banner and such.

It reminds me I still haven't played through the Marathon games yet, either. I need to fix that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

It reminds me I still haven't played through the Marathon games yet, either. I need to fix that.

I tried Marathon (the first one) a few months ago and really didn't have a lot of fun. All down to personal taste, of course, but I found the whole thing way too slow and boring. I can imagine the story and setting (the aspects that really stand above what Doom and other contemporaries were doing) were a lot more innovative and immersive back in 1994, but the gameplay just doesn't seem to have aged particularly well.

Also, trying to play around with settings and plugins in Aleph One is a complete headache and I probably spent more time setting everything up than I did playing it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

JackMackerel posted:

This video contains all you need to know about Nefaria's Reign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcnt8MAMMf0

Just play War of Attrition.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I dont really like Attrition, if i want something related with Duke3D, WGRealms 2 is awesome enough.

Just tried Ultimate Super Doom 3 (the name is poo poo tbh) and is super fun, porting doom 3 weapons/monsters with new levels or just playing doom/doom2 maps is a blast, its really a well done mod.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, this is embarassing: I'm stuck on the first level of the WG Realms episode in WGR2. I've explored the two abandoned buildings and surrounding grounds, found a golden apple, ammo pack, and pain jewel...and now I can't figure out what to do next. There doesn't seem to be anything I can interact with or anywhere I can go.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Well, this is embarassing: I'm stuck on the first level of the WG Realms episode in WGR2. I've explored the two abandoned buildings and surrounding grounds, found a golden apple, ammo pack, and pain jewel...and now I can't figure out what to do next. There doesn't seem to be anything I can interact with or anywhere I can go.

Have you found a side-room with a lava pool and receptacles for the power things (I forgot what they're called)? There's a chest there that costs no gold to open and kicks things off. I had the same problem.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nope. I'll keep looking, but I'd swear I searched everywhere.

Edit: didn't realize that those decorations under the TVs could be frobbed. Dammit.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 25, 2011

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I have no idea what Mman means by side room. In the first level you need to find three switches scattered around the level and kick them. Use the map to make sure you've searched in every room. After they are turned on, the floor in one of the rooms will open up to a warp to the second level.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Oops, I had wrong episode.

Yeah, you need to activate the buttons underneath the three security camera terminals.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Anyone know where I could find a good description/outline of the Marathon map (.sceA) file format? Like a structure for structure description?

I have a program that I'd like to write.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is it just me, or is WGR2 incredibly bastard hard? I'm having a lot more trouble with it than I did with War of Attrition.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Is it just me, or is WGR2 incredibly bastard hard? I'm having a lot more trouble with it than I did with War of Attrition.

It's definitely not easy. I wouldn't recommend anything above difficulty level 2. Once you've got the hang of it, you can chew through armies of enemies in minutes, though. Almost all your weapons are terrifyingly powerful.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I've wanted to play the Marathon trilogy for a long time and while I made it through marathon 1 via aleph one, it gave me the worst loving headache from playing the game. I don't know if its from the way it shears the y axis when you mouselook or what but it put me off playing the rest of the series.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Convex posted:

I tried Marathon (the first one) a few months ago and really didn't have a lot of fun. All down to personal taste, of course, but I found the whole thing way too slow and boring. I can imagine the story and setting (the aspects that really stand above what Doom and other contemporaries were doing) were a lot more innovative and immersive back in 1994, but the gameplay just doesn't seem to have aged particularly well.

I didn't really like it much either. The story bits were nice, but I hated the level design in the first game and the combat wasn't all that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

M2 is a big step forwards in terms of level design, but it's hard to just skip M1 because of all the story. And of course if the shearing is giving you headaches, that's an issue in all the games.

Back in Duke3d land, I'm about ready to give up on WGR2. Even playing on the easiest difficulty doesn't help, because the problem isn't how fast I die; it's the fact that the game keeps throwing bullet-sink enemies at me that I simply do not have enough ammunition to kill, and when it does this in the first room of the loving level I can't even use POW to deal with them.