Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Ended up buying Descent+Descent2 off GOG thanks to this thread. My younger self wasn't lying to me, it is still an awesomely fun game. Also it reminded me that the thiefbot is the single most aggravating enemy in computer game history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Charles Martel posted:

DMC is actually fun when you can find the uncommon full server.

Back when I played it in like 2008 or something, there was about two or so hour window every few days where there were actually a decent amount of human players. Otherwise, it was all dumbass bots. Has that changed any, or is everybody pretty much gone?

For kicks, I just booted up DMC, and only one person wasn't a bot. :v:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Has anyone had any luck getting Powerslave/Exhumed to run well in DosBox? It's really glitchy and far too fast, even when I bring down the cycles. I'd love if this thing got released on GoG.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, on the subject of free standalones, perhaps Freedoom should get a mention? Started as a project to work as a generic, non-copyright-infringing 'placeholder' WAD file for modern Doom source-ports, it's basically a whole Doom clone in its own right now and fully compatible with most (if not all) mods and maps.

It's pretty useful if you want to host a multiplayer game in Skulltag or some other Doom-derivative, but not everyone has a full copy of Doom 2. They can join in with Freedoom, although some textures might look a bit weird, and monster sprites are pretty janky.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, on the subject of free standalones, perhaps Freedoom should get a mention? Started as a project to work as a generic, non-copyright-infringing 'placeholder' WAD file for modern Doom source-ports, it's basically a whole Doom clone in its own right now and fully compatible with most (if not all) mods and maps.

It's pretty useful if you want to host a multiplayer game in Skulltag or some other Doom-derivative, but not everyone has a full copy of Doom 2. They can join in with Freedoom, although some textures might look a bit weird, and monster sprites are pretty janky.
This right here is how I first started playing Doom mods and 2.5D shooters in general, back in 2008. Good times. I still don't own the actual Doom games though. I hope Steam really does get a Summer sale and the Doom pack gets reduced.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Flannelette posted:

New official version of Brutal doom popped up.
http://www.4shared.com/file/bO0zvYUB/brutaldoomv010.html (skulltag)
http://www.4shared.com/file/Mx0W8Cuf/brutalgzdoomv010.html (gzdoom)

Lots of nice changes, including barrel throwing!

Personally, I preferred the M16 to be full auto, it's a great imp-chewer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Purple D. Link posted:

This right here is how I first started playing Doom mods and 2.5D shooters in general, back in 2008. Good times. I still don't own the actual Doom games though. I hope Steam really does get a Summer sale and the Doom pack gets reduced.

Get the iD Super Pack for $69.99.

That gets you:
The Ultimate Doom
Doom II
Master Levels for Doom II
Final Doom
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
Commander Keen (all five episodes from Invasion of the Vorticons and Goodbye Galaxy!)
Hexen II
Quake
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
Quake II
Quake II Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning
Quake II Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero
Quake III Arena
Quake III Team Arena
Wolfenstein 3D (including The Nocturnal Missions)
Spear of Destiny (including the "lost episodes" Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge)
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

If you were to buy all this back when it came out that would seriously cost something like $900.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Edit: Sorry Purple D. Link refered already to steam's summer sale.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

fishmech posted:

Get the iD Super Pack for $69.99.

That gets you:
The Ultimate Doom
Doom II
Final Doom
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
Commander Keen (all five episodes from Invasion of the Vorticons and Goodbye Galaxy!)
Hexen II
Quake
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
Quake II
Quake II Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning
Quake II Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero
Quake III Arena
Quake III Team Arena
Wolfenstein 3D (including The Nocturnal Missions)
Spear of Destiny (including the "lost episodes" Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge)

If you were to buy all this back when it came out that would seriously cost something like $900.
I really just want Doom and maybe the Heretic/Hexen collection though. I already own Quake 1 and the expansions, I don't really care to own Quake II that much, and I get my Quake III fix from Quake Live. I like Wolfenstein fine but it's low priority. Plus I'm trying to save money right now and don't want to spend maybe more than $20 if a sale starts.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Purple D. Link posted:

I really just want Doom and maybe the Heretic/Hexen collection though. I already own Quake 1 and the expansions, I don't really care to own Quake II that much, and I get my Quake III fix from Quake Live. I like Wolfenstein fine but it's low priority. Plus I'm trying to save money right now and don't want to spend maybe more than $20 if a sale starts.

I bought id's complete pack for like 22$ on sale. I'd wait a bit, Steam's summer sale is probably starting on the 30th.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Purple D. Link posted:

I don't really care to own Quake II that much

This is the reason I still play quake 2.
http://www.coopordie.com/quake2/

I know the title is "co-op or die" but I mostly play it single player. Its quake 2 with the difficulty cranked up and persistent almost MMO type features. For insance you'll see the bodies of other players from around the world right where they died in the campaign.

Here's an old vid of me not co-oping but eventually dieing after blasting a lot of strogg scum on q2dm1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-Z4Kwuv2Q *Sorry for the blown out sound, but quadmachine almost sounds better all distorted. :)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Purple D. Link posted:

Well then there's the DOOM Pack Complete for $34.99 (Includes: The Ultimate Doom, Final DOOM, DOOM II, DOOM 3, DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels for Doom II ) or just buying Ultimate Doom and Doom II separate for $10 each.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

InterFaced posted:

This is incredible. Random enemy spawns and new secrets that require teamwork to get to are going to shake all the predictability off Quake 2. Time to hit up my old Quake coop buddy.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
For the Hell of it, played AEOD on... Chex Quest and hit random.

Apparently, I was a half-naked woman with only a cape for protection, blasting slime monsters away with a staff and a sword.

Trippiest thing ever... that reminds me, does anyone remember the Dexter's Lab DooM clone that revolved around Dexter hunting down Dee-Dee Clones in a vector environment? Dexter even made the Doomguy "look left/right" face.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

treat posted:

This is incredible. Random enemy spawns and new secrets that require teamwork to get to are going to shake all the predictability off Quake 2. Time to hit up my old Quake coop buddy.

It really is as good as it looks. If you need more quake buddies add me on steam "InterFaced". coopordie is one of my favorite mods of all time, its amazing how many people don't know about it.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 29, 2011

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

InterFaced posted:

I know the title is "co-op or die" but I mostly play it single player. Its quake 2 with the difficulty cranked up and persistent almost MMO type features. For insance you'll see the bodies of other players from around the world right where they died in the campaign.

Here's an old vid of me not co-oping but eventually dieing after blasting a lot of strogg scum on q2dm1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-Z4Kwuv2Q *Sorry for the blown out sound, but quadmachine almost sounds better all distorted. :)

gently caress I love the soundtrack in this game. Just hearing the music in that vid made me want to install quake 2 again and go to town.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
This thread inspired me to go back and play some of the classics I missed out on. I stuck to consoles when these games came out so my only experience with the older first person shooters was a bit of Quake I played on a friends computer, Doom, and the original Half-Life. Grabbed Blood and Duke Nukem 3D (which I open with eduke32) off GOG and played them both to completion. Incredibly fun games. They both really stood the test of time as far as gameplay is concerned. No nostalgia or rose tinted glasses for me. Played both these games in 2011 and loved the hell out of them.

Point of my post is to ask how Aliens vs. Predator holds up today. After Blood and Duke I tried to go back to Doom 2. I used GZDoom and Brutal Doom but even with those improvements I just can't do it. I don't know if I've just played too much Doom or Blood and Duke have spoiled me, but I am getting bored stupid in these mazes of corridors and searching for keys. I can't think of much else that really holds up as well as the two games I just got done with, so how does AvP play now? I see it brought up a lot as a game that was terrifying at the time.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

"Flubby" posted:

Point of my post is to ask how Aliens vs. Predator holds up today. After Blood and Duke I tried to go back to Doom 2. I used GZDoom and Brutal Doom but even with those improvements I just can't do it. I don't know if I've just played too much Doom or Blood and Duke have spoiled me, but I am getting bored stupid in these mazes of corridors and searching for keys.

I played the first AvP last year for the first time and I found it pretty fun.

About Doom though , you should try running some of the excellent mods for it. I just started up a playthrough of Doom II using Real Guns Hardcore and it's a blast. It's basically CoD's weapons and perks combined with Doom. Great fun. Those mods really breath some new life into old games.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Flubby posted:

This thread inspired me to go back and play some of the classics I missed out on. I stuck to consoles when these games came out so my only experience with the older first person shooters was a bit of Quake I played on a friends computer, Doom, and the original Half-Life. Grabbed Blood and Duke Nukem 3D (which I open with eduke32) off GOG and played them both to completion. Incredibly fun games. They both really stood the test of time as far as gameplay is concerned. No nostalgia or rose tinted glasses for me. Played both these games in 2011 and loved the hell out of them.

Point of my post is to ask how Aliens vs. Predator holds up today. After Blood and Duke I tried to go back to Doom 2. I used GZDoom and Brutal Doom but even with those improvements I just can't do it. I don't know if I've just played too much Doom or Blood and Duke have spoiled me, but I am getting bored stupid in these mazes of corridors and searching for keys. I can't think of much else that really holds up as well as the two games I just got done with, so how does AvP play now? I see it brought up a lot as a game that was terrifying at the time.

Theres a new version of it on steam called AVP2000 or something like that. It plays the same but runs on modern hardware, just be prepared for a brutally hard single player marine campaign.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Flubby posted:

AvP1 holds up quite well, although it's fairly difficult. I played it for the first time a few years ago and had a blast.

And while you're checking out old FPSes that have aged well, take a look at System Shock and Terra Nova (and possibly the Marathon trilogy - M1's level design has aged pretty poorly but M2 and Mi are still excellent, and it's worth playing through M1 for the story).

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Yeah AVP classic 2000!
Despite the new title the original version was released in 1999 so its fair game for the thread.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/

As far as old fps's on steam go this is the best package around. Modern resolutions are supported, the original CD music is included and works with the game. There's even a new server browser for multiplayer and xbox controller support for masochists. They re-released this just before the new AVP game. I was so impressed with the quality of the re-release that I pre-ordered the new AVP, something I rarely do. Only one of them is still installed. I'm sure you can guess which one.

The game itself is great if you're into the 90's fps, since you're reading this thread you probably are. The aliens are unpredictable and fast as hell. Your colonial marine runs as fast as the doomguy. There's also competitive and co-operative multiplayer modes that are a ton of fun if you can organize some games. The only downside to the game is kind of blah level design here and there.

If you dig 80's sci-fi blockbusters and 90's fps this will be the best 5 bux you spend all week.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 29, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One of the coolest things AvP did was pattern itself after Goldeneye, in terms of progression/structure. Play a level on easy mode, and you just need to run to the end of the level and you've won, hurrah! On the highest setting, you'll have multiple objectives scattered around, horribly limited resources, tons of aliens constantly hunting you and generally all the odds stacked against you. It really gives the game a surprising amount of replay value.

Edit: Oh yeah, one small, fixable problem with the Classic 2000 version: Due to licensing issues somewhere along the way, they had to replace all the original cheesy-good FMV bits with cheesy-bad ones made by the Rebellion crew. British programmers trying to sound like gruff American marines does not work out well.

Here's the original videos.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 29, 2011

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

.Ataraxia. posted:

gently caress I love the soundtrack in this game. Just hearing the music in that vid made me want to install quake 2 again and go to town.

You should. Its fun. All id games have great monster design. Quake 2's gunners and parasites aren't as iconic as the pinky demon but they're still immediately identifiable and cool. That's one of the things that struck me when they handed off quake 4 to Raven. I enjoyed it but I don't remember any of the different enemies. I remember every single enemy from id games, even doom3. I guess that's one of the big reasons I still play them. [derail]Yes, I still love doom3. There's even a co-op mod for it I like as much as coopordie. http://doom3coop.com/ [/derail]

Oh if you could notice behind the blown out quadmachine in that vid above the weapons have a lot more oomph to their sounds. There was a little add on on a pc accelerator magazine disc called the quake 2 bass pack. Its been a must have for every quake 2 install I've had since. I've uploaded it here if anyone wants it. http://www.sendspace.com/file/hhv4qz The chain gun will almost shake your house down it rules.

PC Accelerator was early fps as hell. Loved that magazine and the disc full of mods and demos it came with.
E: ... and the hawt gurls shockwave front end. :q:

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 29, 2011

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
After figuring out what was wrong with the AEoD playerclass selection I've been having the blast with it. Every time I play I find some new, ridiculous gently caress-off huge gun to toy with.

My only question is what do the little "weapon power" sphere pickups that enemies sometimes drop do? Do they like provide a small permanent boost to my guns, a temp boost, does it actually do nothing, or what?

VVV They're like a light gray/off-white color, and when you pick them up the message says "weapon power."

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 30, 2011

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
What color is it? For me, they heal a bit of damage and work just like mini health kits...

I wish the Nazi weapons pack would work on Skulltag, so I could use the MW2 weapons/gameplay mod in conjunction. Hey, it's the closest I'll get to living my fantasy of mowing Nazis down with modern weaponry.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
For visual appeal, some juicy high-res icons for the Marathon trilogy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Purple D. Link posted:

Quoting you again because it seems that the Steam sale is starting (there are a few complete packs up), and someone in steam thread mentioned that the ID Super pack is 85% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9050/ This is still buggy but seems true! That would mean 29.99$ for:

Commander Keen
Spear of Destiny
Wolfenstein 3D
The Ultimate Doom
Final DOOM
DOOM II
HeXen: Beyond Heretic
HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
HeXen II
QUAKE
QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
QUAKE II
QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning
QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
Quake III Arena
QUAKE III: Team Arena
DOOM 3
DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil

Everyone should have this seriously.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
For those of you with Doom 2, I posted this in the Gaming Confessionals thread earlier - it's the Doom PSX total conversion, which consists of one .PK3 file for the music, and another for the main game itself. Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?wmzhdmthjzy

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

What color is it? For me, they heal a bit of damage and work just like mini health kits...

I wish the Nazi weapons pack would work on Skulltag, so I could use the MW2 weapons/gameplay mod in conjunction. Hey, it's the closest I'll get to living my fantasy of mowing Nazis down with modern weaponry.

This wasn't that hard to make so I did it for you:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XYYWK7VB

Make sure you create a shortcut to skulltag and make the target bit look like this: ...skulltag.exe -file RGH_1_11_2_Skulltag.pk3 nazimonsters.pk3 so the files load in the correct order.

I didn't do much playtesting so I don't know if something gets broken later on, but there you are!

Textures, sound and code from the NAZIS mod: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29815

~~Modding Note~~: The only thing that really makes it incompatible with skulltag is the use of the A_CheckSightOrRange function for bullet whiz sound effects. I really wish the skulltag devs would get over their feature freeze thing and implement the 10 or so extra functions that zDoom has, since they can add a lot to the game.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 30, 2011

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
The id Super Pack is pretty tempting, even though it's more than I wanted to spend. The Doom Pack didn't go down as much as I wanted though. ($20 something right now, it was $8 something during the last holiday sale) I'm going to wait and see if it becomes a daily deal.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

For visual appeal, some juicy high-res icons for the Marathon trilogy.

oooh, that's hot.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
That id Super Pack is a steal when I bought it when it was first available for $69.99 or whatever. $29.99 is highway freakin' robbery.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Vertigus posted:

Make sure you create a shortcut to skulltag and make the target bit look like this: ...skulltag.exe -file RGH_1_11_2_Skulltag.pk3 nazimonsters.pk3 so the files load in the correct order.

I didn't do much playtesting so I don't know if something gets broken later on, but there you are!

Textures, sound and code from the NAZIS mod: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29815

~~Modding Note~~: The only thing that really makes it incompatible with skulltag is the use of the A_CheckSightOrRange function for bullet whiz sound effects. I really wish the skulltag devs would get over their feature freeze thing and implement the 10 or so extra functions that zDoom has, since they can add a lot to the game.

I gotta thank you for this, dude. It's loving hilarious nailing Nazis with the .50. Played through the first 3 maps of Ultimate Doom with no problems.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Vertigus posted:

I love you.

(I tried to get the MW2 mod for Gzdoom to work with WWHC-ANA, but I have to dick around with the weapon classes to get that to work.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Let me know if you guys run into any problems. It took me like 20 minutes to throw it together and I only checked out the first couple levels of Doom 2, but I'll be happy to polish it up some more since you're interested in it.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Vertigus posted:

Let me know if you guys run into any problems. It took me like 20 minutes to throw it together and I only checked out the first couple levels of Doom 2, but I'll be happy to polish it up some more since you're interested in it.

The only thing I've noticed is the SS Guard in black with the machine gun doesn't have any sounds played when he fires. Using skulltag 0.98e alpha May 2011. It's not a showstopper.

The other thing I've wondered is if it's possible to get either Real Guns 2 or Real Guns Hardcore to recognize normal / replacement monsters as capable of giving EXP. I have no idea where to start in modding this stuff or else I'd have figured it out myself.

co199 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 1, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

co199 posted:

The only thing I've noticed is the SS Guard in black with the machine gun doesn't have any sounds played when he fires. Using skulltag 0.98e alpha May 2011. It's not a showstopper.

The other thing I've wondered is if it's possible to get either Real Guns 2 or Real Guns Hardcore to recognize normal / replacement monsters as capable of giving EXP. I have no idea where to start in modding this stuff or else I'd have figured it out myself.

Ok, I fixed the sound issue and implemented XP drops for all the monsters. The amounts might not be appropriate for every Nazi, but I tried to base them on the monster class they share with RGH (Hitler will give you 600-700 XP, a Guard will give you 5-10 XP).

Straight up Nazis: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D0686J0T

Nazis with RGH (Only compatible with RGH!!!!): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8UHCXECK

Link to RGH: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Again, remember to make a shortcut with "-file **RGH filename** **Nazi monsters filename**" so they load in the correct order.

If anyone has issues, send me a PM if you can so the thread doesn't get spammed up. I didn't bother to decompile the scripting for the experience drops to see how it actually works, but I didn't notice any problems when I played through a level.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Ok, I fixed the sound issue and implemented XP drops for all the monsters. The amounts might not be appropriate for every Nazi, but I tried to base them on the monster class they share with RGH (Hitler will give you 600-700 XP, a Guard will give you 5-10 XP).

Straight up Nazis: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D0686J0T

Nazis with RGH (Only compatible with RGH!!!!): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8UHCXECK

Link to RGH: http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Again, remember to make a shortcut with "-file **RGH filename** **Nazi monsters filename**" so they load in the correct order.

If anyone has issues, send me a PM if you can so the thread doesn't get spammed up. I didn't bother to decompile the scripting for the experience drops to see how it actually works, but I didn't notice any problems when I played through a level.

Holy poo poo dude, you are a fuckin' boss. Thanks!

EDIT: Tried with the RGH-specific build, played the first two maps of Ultimate Doom, the first map of Doom 2 and an Oblige map and had no problems. All the Nazis give out appropriate exp in Classic and Hardcore mods, in the Arcade mode they give out a ton of exp, which makes for some hilarious levelling up after killing like 5 dudes. So much fun.

co199 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 1, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've always had terrible framerate issues with RGA and RGH, specifically while switching/reloading weapons. Is anybody aware of which graphics options may cause this? My rig ain't anything special--8600GT, 2.5G memory, 2.13 dual core--but jesus, it should run doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
Is there any Doom mod like War of Attrition? Or at least a way to do an endless mode of WoA with the original 3DR maps? These usermaps are horrible :smith: