Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Thy Flesh Is Off The Chain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm not quite interested enough to play it right now, but are there any good LPs of patched allyless Daikatana out there?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

So what we really need is a procedurally generated, roguelike movie.
Weird animated algorithm-driven kids playlists on youtube might qualify.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I propose a compromise wherein enemies splash emoticons when they're shot, instead of blood or numbers. Laugh faces for little damage, frownies for more damage, shocked "O" faces for critical hits.
Also, the HUD should display your character's face in a similar style, to help the player understand how much damage they are taking. Perhaps centrered at the bottom of the screen.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's basically The Real Thief 4 (in terms of being Thief 1/2 but with a modern engine and some neat new mechanics), but it's somewhat let down by the fact that there's no baked-in campaign of a certifiable quality level, and instead you're left to go install a bunch of fan missions, some of which are of dubious quality. Also, none of Stephen Russell's dulcet tones.

Definitely worth an install though.
Are there any decent recommendation/review lists for this?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm going to have to buy Daikatana in the steam sale, aren't I.

I've been playing a bunch of Quake lately and finding myself using the shotgun more for actual combat. Sometimes it just feels more useful than the super shotgun? Is that a thing?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Mordja posted:

Almost unironically, yes.

Hey, it's got the speed, verticality, and if you take Grenadier weapons, you're practically playing Tribes!
And weird time poo poo is basically experimenting with teleportation.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The suit voice announcing MAXIMUM STRENGTH is the Crysis equivalent of Doomguy's face in the HUD.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Convex posted:

Did Romero's kickstarter say JOHN ROMERO IS GOING TO GIVE YOU HIS PITCH

because it should have done :colbert:
IIRC one of the questions was "WILL YOU MAKE ME YOUR BITCH" and the answer was "how about I make you a game?"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Convex posted:

:v:

So basically the Smack My Bitch Up video? That would be cool but pretty exhausting after 90 minutes!
Hardcore Doomguy.

Hardcore Henry wasn't exactly great, but it was about that long and it really started to get tiring after an hour. Fortunately the nausea which kicked in after about twenty minutes didn't last that long.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
5 minutes of a first-person shakycam having fake blood thrown at it while things explode, 35 minutes of rabbit-petting flashbacks, 50 minutes of grunting at walls. It's basically art.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

haveblue posted:

The best video game movie is actually Edge of Tomorrow.
Book title was better, and More Doom.

All You Need Is Kill.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Augus posted:

when they say “direct-to-video” do they mean “on streaming services” or are they actually sending this out to rot on store shelves in the year 2019 lol
VHS, hopefully. The superior format.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I clicked a thread on doomworld and found this.

loving doom modders, man. Alas, "Im sorry to say but im afraid this is far as ill be able to take it, its way harder than i imagined. Far to many variables to take into account, its beyond my abilities." But still.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Dusk and Amid Evil being exactly the opposite in visuals is making it really hard to decide which one to buy first.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Convex posted:

Yeah, this was me with Binding of Isaac. Game looked like a Newgrounds abomination but was fun as hell
Now there's a game that needs a chex quest equivalent.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Mordja posted:

Prodeus is the indie, throwback FPS that I'm least looking forward to, but I'm still looking forward to it. Especially since it's been confirmed that you can customize the look a bunch.
Maybe there'll be a mod that gives it an aesthetic that isn't Dull Doom 4 with a pixel filter and buckets of extra blood.

like replacing the textures with fireblu or something?

I know people have been saying this for a while, but it really does look aggressively dull. Even the weapons look dull. Hopefully it'll have some major improvement in development.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Easy to make something not a trash fire when you embezzle all of the money from other projects to complete it.
Let's not go too far in praising the series.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

At some point people decided numbers were gauche and opted for really confusing "reboots" instead and I hate it, especially since people have to call things "Doom 4" or "Doom 2016" so people know what they're talking about anyway
Especially when the main series goes Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Diabetes Forecast posted:

A friend of mine is rather literally doing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN-_jXEA5zU
They should just focus on polishing and releasing this mod instead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

There is a new Hell-themed single-level Doom WAD that is making the rounds. It's pretty impressive graphically and with grandiose architecture. It's called Hurt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCLfjuvs1o
I watched a few minutes and it has baby cacodemons :kimchi:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

haveblue posted:

A photorealistic sewer level is not something anyone wants anywhere ever
Raytraced blighttown, but it's a doom level. I believe the two opposing technologies of raytracing and doom will cancel each other out, resulting in a normal blighttown framerate.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
doomguy killed demons in hell until the end of time, then the universe ended, a new universe started and he got busy killing the demons in that hell for a few billion years until the new universe evolved a UAC of its own

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

haveblue posted:

No game with a remotely realistic art style on modern tech is going to have bright red beachballs for enemies, there's just no way to make that work.
And when the original was that perfect, what can they do? Leave them out entirely? Have one sprite-based enemy in a normal 3D game? No cacodemon can live up to the proper one.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im in the hairless shambler camp, but i absolutely love this fuzzy shambler someone made:

Open its mouth slightly and it'd look so happy. You could also switch the lightning out and have it throwing a grinning cadodemon.

It's cute. :3:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Ultima Underworld came out before Doom. And Wolf 3D, and so on. But Doom was faster, it actually had a framerate instead of being slow as hell, and that made a lot of difference.

Edit: Ultima Underworld came out before Wolfenstein 3D? drat.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always said "double-ewe aye ess dee" and I've always thought people who said "waz-duh" were odd.
This, but the consoles are definitely "Nez" and "Snez."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm going to take the risk of sounding stupid here, but Amid Evil: adjusting mouse sensitivity confused me for a minute, until I realised there was a ticked box for locking it to your aspect ratio.

Is... is that a thing? People do that? Should I be looking back in horror and shame at my pathetic past self, who didn't have separate mouse sensitivity by axis?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

never mind I got it

D∞m
Didn't need Bungie make that?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I really like Amid Evil's BFG.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
They attempt to pet the glorious aryan good boy, and have their throats ripped out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Convex posted:

Thanks man! Initially tried this out with the start of TNT which was interesting. Then loaded up NUTS.WAD

which only seemed to be running at about 1 frame per 30 seconds, until

things started slowing down a bit more and I

had to terminate the process as it stopped working

:rip:
Thanks for posting the video!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
No fall damage is really good and should be in way more things.

Did Crysis have fall damage? I honestly can't remember.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Vakal posted:

They should have just kept adding extra O's for each sequel. Would have made things less confusing in the long run.
DoM

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One of the most disappointing revelations in my entire life is finding out that DOOM is named after a scene from "The Color of Money" where Tom Cruise says the word, and when I watched the movie it turns out he literally just says the word. "Doom". Like he's saying "Broom" or "Door". It would have been much better if he had said, "Doooooooom" in a vocal fry until the sound just sort of...faded away.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's first person, but the mouse-based shooting might disqualify it.

I miss that game, it was fun.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
if DNF had come out earlier and had a sequel, how long before duke was helping the heroic police massacre minorities? don't worry the police are still pigs so it's satire

It's better that Duke died and we only saw part of his descent.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

While it is the one game I replay annually, I still feel the lack of a doom face was Doom 16's biggest weakness.
I am sure that Doom 2 19 will disappoint me but until it releases I can pray.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Is there a doom mod where doomguy is riding a horse, preferably with armour? Just in the regular levels, maybe a small horse or a Shetland pony or something to fit in the corrridors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It has some better elements, but