Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One of the few mods/TC's I had played for Quake 1 was a gem called Shrak

http://www.shrak.com/shrak.html

I can't remember enough of it to do a full write up, but did anyone else play this? I remember it being fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXelEifDLU

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OH SWEET!

Thanks to this thread, I looked up Skulltag again, and now they have a Mac version!!

:toot: I know how I'm spending my free time now. Thanks, OP!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

co199 posted:

I like Real Guns Hardcore, a mod for gzDoom and Skulltag that brings the weapons from Modern Warfare 2 into Doom and Doom 2. It also replaces monsters with random harder versions. There was some controversy in the old thread about this mod, as some people were of the opinion that it ruined the feel of the game. I don't agree, but to each their own.

Anyway, it also adds reloading and knifing, as well as grenades. It's also in active development, so bugs and such will be fixed pretty often.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27749

Here's a gameplay video I posted right before the old thread closed: E1M1 of Ultimate Doom with Real Guns Harcore and gzDoom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM8U7Y1EXcw

It also works well with Oblige maps if you want random goodness, though the Cacodemon overlord can gently caress right off.

Like I mentioned before, I'm on a mac, so I'm new to Skulltag (downloading it as soon as I get home) so I'm not 100% on this, but would this mod work for me? I'd love to play it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, the thread title just clicked with me. Oh Build engine :allears:, I printed out your manual. Twice.

I had highlighters going, pens circling... even an excel spreadsheet for quick access to what SE's affected what sectors (or how they did it). I built so many random, horrible Duke3D maps, that part of my disappointment with the DNF is that I can't fire up Build and make my own.

Long live Ken Silverman!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Help me goons, I'm running OS X 10.6.6, and I have the wads for Doom 1 and Doom 2 in the same folder as Skulltag, but when I run it, it just shows up on the dock, bounces a couple times, and then goes away.

I wanna shoot things :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mantle posted:

I am on OS X as well. There are two ways to do it. I prefer using Doomseeker as a launcher and specifying a directory for your IWADS: http://doomseeker.drdteam.org/

The alternative way to do it is to put your IWADS into your Skulltag.app container in the Mac OS directory.

If you are using Doomseeker to host a server, uncheck broadcast to LAN.

This info wasn't very easy to find so it maybe could go into the OP somehow.

I tried both of those method, but nothing works. Still just pops up then closes. Thanks, though.

:smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

E4M1 is ridiculously cheap, and honestly, I'd just skip it because I tend to pistol start E4M2 anyway.

E4M2 is really hard, by the way, but it's also goddamn amazing

E4M2 had me swearing like a sailor with Tourettes. gently caress that loving level of gently caress. I was more imaginative than that when I was playing it though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quirk posted:

Oh holy hell, how was anyone supposed to beat NRFTL with a controller? Using Brutal Doom and you bet your rear end I'm inching along with the pistol zoomed.

Did it, no mods, Ultra-Violence.

:smug:

Took me months :shepface:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What was the mode in UT2K4 with the nodes? Onslaught? gently caress, I loved that.

Also, I'm trying to remember that great (UT2K4) map that was outside, and was almost like a ruined Grecian temple or something. I think it started with 'A'. Archangel? Asbestos? Anyway, I loved playing that one, too.

gently caress, I need UT2K4 again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Onslaught was amazing if you had at last 10 people playing, preferably 16+, with vehicles everywhere.

Asbestos is (obviously) an industrial map, perhaps you're thinking of Albatross? It's one of my favorites, too.

YES! Albatross, goddamn, what an absolutely beautiful level. The layout was good, but jesus christ did that place look so goddamned pretty. :swoon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is sort-of-related, but imagine Doom, top-down, procedurally-generated levels, and one-life.

Teleglitch

http://teleglitch.com/index.php?page=about

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm a mac user, and I'd love to get in on all of this Doom wonderfulness. I have the wads somewhere on an old disc, but I'd like to know, what's the best mac-friendly resource or program to check out in order to play all of these wonderful mods? I'd also love to know about playing the original Quake, too. I know years and years ago, I had something set up, but it was buggy, and I figure a lot has changed since then. Any suggestions?

The ability to play via LAN would be awesome as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I can send you the latest SVN build of GZdoom-mac, and some instructions on how I run it at the command line. PrBoom+ is kickass for demo running, and comes with a nice GUI.

I'd love that. Do you have PM's? If not, my gmail address is 'slaptheolsentwins'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember loving Heretic back in the day (especially E1M5, if that's the open-area one with the river and two buildings :swoon:) but never played Hexen. What was the point of it, wasn't it just the same thing?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah ok, gotcha. I just did a little bit of research, didn't realise that it was the sequel to Heretic, thought it was released the same time.

Wait, what's Heretic II then?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hahahaha, I was looking through and kept thinking I found 'the comment' (like the guy saying Marathon is the game to be remembered rather than Doom).

And then I saw it. Wow. "I'm right pissed off!" :bahgawd:

EDIT: HOLY poo poo, I remember Dactyl Nightmare!!! loving hell, haven't thought about that in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6t69mp0ZhE

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't believe I'm only playing Brutal Doom now. What the hell?

It's just... so frantic and violent. :swoon: I look at it like how Doom is actually meant to be played, only today, not in 1993, if that makes sense. I don't mean that as some sort of commentary on CoD or Battlefield or anything, but what we used to think was gory and gross (and looks almost cartoony nowadays), this is what Brutal Doom feels like; like I'm playing the original all over again, totally re-sensitized to all of the violence.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I really do recommend Community Chest 4 as a great modern-style level pack to go with Brutal Doom. The original Doom 2 levels really don't hold up so well these days, visually or design-wise. The CC4 crew did a pretty good job of making it challenging and recent-feeling without hitting any crazy excesses that would make it unplayable with gameplay mods.

I'll be looking into this next, for sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's the difference between ZDoom and GZDoom?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Raneman posted:

Anyone ever played Nitemare 3D? I had never heard of it until I saw it up on some classic DOS emulator.

http://www.classicdosgames.com/online/nite3d20.html

Pro tip: The bookcase in the first room is a secret, found that out shortly after starting.

I actually played the poo poo out of this game, and found it both deep and frustrating. My gun can jam? What?!

Also, one could technically consider this Hugo 4, since you're playing as Hugo, rescuing Penelope.

If anyone is lost... wiki.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone else unable to manually reload using Brutal Doom/GZDoom on a mac? Won't work. The keys work for rebinding and everything, and I've used various ones, but still, no actual reloading during gameplay unless my clip is empty.

Works fine on the PC, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I think Brutal Doom has it's own Reload function bind right near the bottom of the controls list, and the native GZDoom one won't work.

Oh my god, I can be a proper Doomsman now. THANK YOU.

It was weird, the UI for Doom's menu has always been bad, but I feel that Brutal Doom is REALLY hard to read. I had no idea there were options further down, but on a hunch (and you mentioning it), I just pressed up on the top-most option, and it brought me to the bottom, with tons of poo poo I hadn't seen before. Thanks!

It is weird, however, that the PC version of GZDoom + BrutalDoom seems to have this binded already, and the mac version doesn't... unless I set the controls up wrong, and I screwed it up.

Actually, that's probably what happened.

EDIT: Wait, I don't understand... where was reloading implemented in GZDoom? Isnt' it a Brutal Doom thing? Why would there be an option there already? :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^^ THAT sounds loving cool.

That Malice TC reminds me of the first TC I ever played, Shrak. I don't recall THAT much from it, other than it was, overall, 'gross' (but fun!), and the end boss was a really fat, disgusting monster and you could see his rear end-crack if you managed to get behind him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXelEifDLU

The grossness, I think, came from the worm enemies. And the boss.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Endurance runs? Points? Going in 'blind'?

I have so much to learn :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

drat, now map 4 is kicking my rear end. There's just so many traps it's rediculus. I should have known that those rockets were a trap, though.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic here. I enjoy playing maps for the first time on Hard not because I'm a super 1337 DooMer, but because I get the full force of all the retarded traps Doom is famous for. The only way is to drop into a small room with a switch and a supershotgun: pull the switch and watch the walls drop to reveal a dozen demons and half that number of imps. Which way do you run? What weapon do you use? What weapon should you have had out? Having to actually think about such things is the fun part for me after playing modern story-driven shooters.

Not being sarcastic at all, I've been in the dark with all of these Doom wads and mods since forever, never really bothered with them. Now that I'm taking notice and trying some out, I'm simply amazed at what some people have made, and just want more and more.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How's the Ghostbusters wad? I've always heard about it whenever wads were mentioned.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, the Spider Mastermind in Brutal Doom :stare:

The Crusher is a hard goddamned level.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know everyone's seen this, but since it's Doom's 19th birthday today, I figure we could all do with a rewatch of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pek_JxmPonM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

and Wanton Destruction was also released by one of the devs many years after the fact. So really, it's kind of silly to remove them since they have always been available for free up until this point.

I'm not very familiar with Shadow Warrior's add-ons, but please tell me that this was spelled 'Won-ton Destruction'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I loved ROTT, though I didn't realize why at the time. It's specifically because everything was just so weird! God mod, dog mode (that was a thing, right?) Drunk missiles, floating platforms, razors coming out of the floor.

GodDAMN, ROTT was something special.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm having issues installing these new custom WADs for GZDoom on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

My issue is that it can find the original WADs I have just fine that were all moved into the MacOS folder after I right-click on the app and select 'Show Package Contents'. The WADs I have so far are...

Final Doom
Doom 2
TNT
Plutonium
Heretic
Hexen
Another Hexen (don't remember specifics)
Freedoom
Strife

I've downloaded reelism, DTWID, all of this stuff, and I put the WADs with the other ones, but relaunching the app won't show them on the 'Choose your WAD' list that GZDoom always shows. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, I got Brutal Doom to work on OS X by editing one of the config files. No problems there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Awesome, snatched it up.

I really hope Brutal Duke will be a thing someday.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't understand... don't you start with the rifle in Brutal Doom anyway?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

(list)

Modders. :allears:

This is great and all, but holy hell, who gives a poo poo about Corridor 7? I mean, I thought it was AWESOME back in the day when my computer played Wolf3D choppily and couldn't run Doom.

Then I got an upgrade and played Doom. Ah well, it'll be nice to play Blake Stone again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Tricks and Traps, followed by The Pit.

What in the Christ.

Started Refuelling Base with nothing but my chainsaw. I did take advantage of infighting, just not enough I guess.

edit: Actually, also Dead Simple, even though it was easy. These 3 levels felt like nothing before them. Certainly a change of pace.

Infighting is pretty much how you pull off (what would be) the hardest part of Tricks and Traps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Totally read this too soon after waking up and couldn't figure out what "tightrope" sequences were in Chasm.

Just a lot of Cavemen and Vikings, really.

poo poo, I remember this game. Only played the demo, I think I shot a saw blade at some weird jester in a black room.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress. Wow. That would have been an incredible game, for its time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh god, I've missed this thread. Don't know why I unsubscribed years ago. I just got DN3D: Megaton Edition on Steam, and have already downloaded about 35 custom maps. I can't believe how much Duke I have now, updated no-less. I appreciate owning the Atomic edition on GoG, but I gotta say, for an old PC Gamer who now uses a mac, Megaton wins out.

In playing Duke again, I had a memory pop back into my head, and I need help / verification that I'm not crazy. Years ago, probably in 94 before the game came out, I was at my local mall and there was a fundraising draw for a new computer (Pentium something or other, back when I still had a 386). I entered it, and by entering, you got 10 minutes with this VR headset and a weird controller, and you got to play 'the latest and greatest first person shooter on the market!', which was Duke Nukem 3d. Has anyone else ever experienced this weird VR setup?

I thought I just made it up until I found this - > http://www.eturnip.com/blog/076 where he mentions it, briefly.

To add suckiness to the story, I actually won the computer setup (headset, game, and everything) but since my mom worked in a store at the mall, I was disqualified.

Edit: yeah, I should have Googled harder, here it is. Cyberpuck controller! It wasn't very good.

http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/iis/vfx1.html

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 21, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Nah, the only id game that has a special Mac version is Wolf 3D. The rest of them are identical to the PC versions gameplay wise.

Wait, hold up, what's this about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for the info about the mac version of Wolf3D.

Now can anyone tell me why the hell there's zero love for Mac Doom on Steam? Does Bethesda just royally hate Apple, or what?

Edit: I mean, I have the WAD files, but I'd prefer it on Steam, virtually forever.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 21, 2014