Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh man, hopefully this thread fills up with more awesome stuff like the last one! I'm going to quote myself from the last thread so that the Duke mod I mentioned doesn't get lost in the archives.

Wamdoodle posted:

I went poking around in Siege Breaker's documentation and came across another mod from one of the collaborators (DeeperThought is his moniker) on it. I didn't realize that he's also the modder that came up with DukePlus and Duke Nukem: Weapons of Mass Destruction.

It's called War of Attrition and it sounds like it plays like Weapons of Mass Destruction. Duke's guns level up and you earn items to increase his max health and armor. It's more arcade based though, like a score challenge. Enemies have point totals and when you reach a certain amount, you go to a final boss area and fight it. Then you post your score and then try to do it again.

The interesting part about it is that it claims to have 120 high quality maps that you play through randomly as well as the original Duke3d episodes in your quest to reach the final boss.

I'll just put the website that the readme of Siege Breaker mentions:

http://fissile.duke4.net/fissile_attrition.html

Also no mention of Siege Breaker, Kins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Going to put this here because some people found it entertaining in the last thread.

Wamdoodle posted:

If you guys are looking for a more visceral Doom experience you could try this mod:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28920

It's called Brutal Doom and it increases alot of the blood effects and gives monsters multiple death animations depending on what weapon you use against it. The funniest thing is that it actually gives fatalities for whenever you pick up a berserk pack and melee a monster to death.

Here's a vid of it in action, complete with Happy Days theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLKZ..._embedded#at=22

One caveat though: It also increases the damage that monsters do to you as well so it will make the game a little harder. I don't mind though. Got to earn those gibs!

Edit: Beaten by Flannelette! drat, that's what I get for leaving the reply screen on to long while talking to a friend!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

co199 posted:

I'm playing Doom wrong, I know. This is what came up in the old thread: some people hate RGH because it makes Doom less Doom and more tactical. I'm a stupid dork that loves COD, so this is right up my ally. I get endlessly entertained by making random maps in Oblige and then playing them in RGH. I should turn in my Doom card.

Man, gently caress it. Doom has been modded so much that you can play however you want to. I loving love this game!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

I'm a recovering steamaholic. I asked if I should get O'Doul's O'Doul's light and you're telling me that I should down a 5th of Jack Daniels.

Hey, that bottle of Jack isn't going to drink itself. :argh: I would say to get them both. Doom 1 for the freaking awesome official episodes and Doom 2 for the user made levels and mods. It's win/win.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

I combined Brutal Doom with Delta Invasion.

Holy crap, Maxwell where did you get that map? I tried Google but all I could find were dead links.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Doom indirectly led to me meeting my wife. I first got the internet to access ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames and a long time later I met a girl online and eventually married her.

Doom, bringing people together. :allears:

Also, thanks for pointing me in the right direction Dominic!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How do you use meat shields in Brutal Doom? There's no documentation on the feature and the Brutal Doom thread said it involved punching an Imp / Zombie when they were in the "dying" animation. But whenever I walk up and punch an Imp with its guts hanging out, I just punch them in the face and they die.

I believe you have to have the Berserk powerup first before you can use them as a meat shield.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Also, for some reason I can't get a HUD to show up, in vanilla or with Brutal Doom. I haven't played Doom in maybe 10 years, and so have never used GZDoom or anything like that, there are so many options that I just don't know which one I need to mess with to get the HUD to show up. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

You should just be able to use the + and - keys, at least that's the way it is with skulltag.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Platypus Farm posted:

Honorable mention: Isle of the Dead - wolfenstein engine? Looked like it anyway. One repeated texture of "trees on beach" and every now and then a zombie would pop out and you could either shoot it or die. I died, and never played it again. I bought this game because the cover had a zombie eating a part of a person and I thought it'd be cool and gory.

I think I remember this one. Wasn't the armor in the game a raincoat?

Did anyone ever play Shadow Caster?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfYkMul6ZA

This one reminds me of the AD&D first person dungeon crawlers done by SSI. I bought a collection of them back in the day. I think I still have them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, before you click that page, it is advised to put some shades on. My friggin' eyes! :psypop:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

Dumb question, do I need to activate regeneration somewhere in the options after I've loaded the mod? I'm trying it out with Brutal Doom in D2, but I don't seem to be regenerating back to 30 health.

No option, it should just work by loading it up. Try making it the last .pk3 to load by moving it underneath DHTP.pk3, like so:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=Upgrades/BrutalGZDoomV10b.pk3
Path=Upgrades/DHTP.pk3
Path=Upgrades/BrutalDoomRegeneration.pk3

I think I had to do that to make it work.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Minidust posted:

My regeneration file looks like it's a WAD rather than a PK3. Would that involve anything different?

No, this is grossly simplified and someone who's made one can correct me, a WAD and a PK3 are the same. They both modify the game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

While we're on the subject of gibs, which game did you think had the best gibbing?

Duke Nukem 3D had pretty good gibs, I loved that squishing sound effect and the witty one-liners Duke would spew while aliens limbs and guts were flying everywhere.

You can't talk about gibs without talking about Blood. The way the enemies sometimes exploded after you lite them on fire with the flare gun was pretty gruesome.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Rise of the Triad, with Half-Life in a close second. No other game makes enemy models spew eight eyeballs, four spinal columns, six brains, three colons, etc.

I think if you stand near one of those rotating blade pillars with the God Mode powerup, you would have an endless fountain of blood, gibs and eyeballs flowing past your screen. Quite hypnotic, really.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I feel it's because of the Lithtech Engine that the game is built on. God that engine was ugly and playing anything built with it just felt "off."

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Well, if we're talking modern sequels and spinoffs, DoomRL has been given an awesome new update, with GRAPHICS! Graphics by Spelunky developer Derek Yu, at that!

Oh man, finally! All I need is a portable version of this and I'd be set!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I changed Brutal Doom 0.15a with Dominic White's fix for the torch sound bug for GZDoom, i didn't touch my skulltag version because that would need all goons running the same file.

All i had to do (surprisingly) was to unzip BD 0.15, delete gently caress.ogg and extract the gently caress (no extension) from BD 0.11, then add the extension .ogg. Zip it again as a pk3 file and it works! :haw:

This is basically what I know from quake 1/2 and doom 3 mods so i guess its all the same.

(my mediafire account)
http://www.mediafire.com/?awrlxtk154zl445

I'm loving editing every new BD we get with the old voice because :DannyGlover:.

You will be my hero if you do this :allears:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

This is kind of neat! I have to admit that I'm fond of the silly "HA HA!" sound clip whenever you free your fellow marines but I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Interceptor Entertainment went ahead and uploaded their new rendition of "Goin' Down the Fast Way" on YouTube, if any of you are interested in that sort of thing (I sure am :allears: ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0
Thank you for this. I love heavy metal renditions of classic game music! It's beautiful *sheds tear*

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

So, um, here's what I've been up to lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrC2YTLYwHw

Wait, why the gently caress am I not playing this right now?! All joking aside, can't wait for the update Kins!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Yes, yes it is.

The funkiest archvile.

Holy poo poo this looks like the final chorus of an animated Disney musical.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CowboyAndy posted:

Monsters Inc III: Hell on Earth, staring Archie, the Archvile with a heart of gold!

I'd watch the gently caress out of this :)

Supreme Power posted:

I'm surprised the doom modding community is so active still. :) For a 20 year old game, it's still going amazingly strong. I'll bet id wishes they could make another game like this.

I still remember getting a shareware copy of Doom 1. All those levels, and for free!

I bet anyone wishes they could make a game right now that has this kind of staying power. I remember getting the shareware episode so long ago too :allears: I had to play that over and over because games were not in the budget :( Now I can buy all the games I want! (and not have the time to play them :( )

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Looks like Bethesda's making more Doom merch to ramp up for the 20th anniversary, including these cute little bastards:

Oh, if only the Pain Elemental had little plushie Lost Souls in his mouth too! :3:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

It's no Hissy but it'll do. Pulled the trigger and got them both. I don't care what anyone thinks!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Now that we're doing old FPS games with forgotten names: I remember playing some old maze game, don't think it was more advanced than Wolfenstein or something. I think it took place in a prison? What I do remember about it is that everything was in black and white, and in a comic book look. I also remember the melee-attack looking really muscular. I don't remember much more about it (got it from one of those 90's demo disks) except that I thought the graphics were really loving cool.

If anyone could help me with this; it's been plaguing me for years!

Only thing I can think of is ZPC. Sorry, i'm phone posting so all i have is a wiki link. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZPC

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Prenton posted:

I kind of forgot about Doom: but on the Amiga

Monster (Monstrum), 1995, L.K. Avalon

I'm going to have to break out some video for this. Look at the intro.

Pretty :black101:, hmmm? Well, I guess the imagery is probably nicked and I can't speak a word of Polish so it could be on about kittens and bunnies for all I know, but it's still quite:black101:

Now look at the game.

And this isn't even the worst one of the drat things I've played tonight

gently caress, I think I cut my eyes on those pixels!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

RichterIX posted:

The controls in System Shock didn't seem so bad when I had played hours and hours of Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. I spent more time than was appropriate getting that game to work in every new version of Windows until Dosbox got fast enough to handle it.

Oh man, Terra Nova. There's a game where I'd like to see an up res'd version. I still have my disc kicking around somewhere.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

TerminusEst13 posted:

:kimchi: Awwww, thanks guys! I'm really flattered.

And you're right, that is definitely the intent. It's loud, crazy, and very intense--all of the design comes from the two basic philosophies of "the player should be rewarded for playing harder" and "whatever damage happens to the player should be his own fault".
Successfully attacking grants you more damage to hit harder, which results in better attacks, which results in more damage, and killing enemies with the sword grants you fuel for better sword attacks. Likewise, all enemies now have a windup time to let you know of an incoming attack, even if it's just a subtle one, to let the player know that something is incoming and they should use one of their tools (dodging through projectiles, cutting down projectiles, strafing and taking advantage of a smaller hitbox, armor) to avoid it.
Or if they just want to throw all that out the window, kick back and shoot things, the arcade health system should let them play a bit more relaxed and soak ambushes they'd normally guarantee a death in.

It's a very experimental approach that I'm still feeling out (not 100% on the Archviles and Barons yet), but I'm really eager to flesh it out more and I'm really glad to hear you're liking it.

Awesome work Terminus! I've been waiting for another arcade score attack mod for Doom to go with Reelism. Can't wait to see what else you put into it :)

Anyone else who's tried this, what are some recommend maps?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Looks like after some time in certification hell, the Vita port of Duke 3D Megaton Edition is finally nigh - the trophies are in the database.

Missed opportunity not having a platinum trophy named "Hail to the King"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Korendian Leader posted:

Who are you talking to?

The wall. Also, I'm sure it was sarcasm.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

It's been mentioned before but Doom almost seems like it attracts more content creators than consumers, at this point.

This can't be a bad thing, though. :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

Now get the 3 doom novels!

I believe you mean 4 doom novels.... http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_novels

drat, I remember reading those and the first one wasn't so bad but the later ones.....

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

reinardus vulpes posted:

I'm interested in checking out Demonsteele, but it doesn't seem to be a logical fit for standard IWADs... Does anyone have a recommendation for a good level set to pair it with for some proper insanity? (Sorry if this has already been asked and answered.)

I believe Scythe2 gets mentioned alot in regards to wads that go with Demonsteele. I haven't got to try it yet though. I imagine any slaughter maps would probably work too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Some dumb idiot posted:

Machine Game's reboot of Blake Stone

I didn't realize how much I wanted this till now.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jakcson posted:

Here is a better explanation for how this all works: When the object enters the mesh, the mesh begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Static meshes work the same way.

I didn't see you taking it there :golfclap:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I enjoyed everything about this comment in that video.

Wow. A an actual good YouTube comment. For real though, that is a crazy speedrun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428164&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Just wanted to link this thread for a game I played since it came out. Since I've been going through my list of Source games, I found this gem on my list. After a year, I decided to pop it back in just to see if the hype at the time was overrated and no, it's still a very weird but enjoyable experience.

And yeah, I'm talking about E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. Despite all its flaws, it's just a silly little stylish game you'd want to play every now and then. To this day I have no idea what's going on in this universe and the characters, but goddamn it I'm as interested as a child trying to eagerly make sense of an adult conversation.

It also got some cool maps and mods too.

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/

I've always seen this and Steam keeps recommending it to me but I've been hesitant because of its alleged impenetrable-ness. Maybe I'll jump on it next time I see it on sale.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

MONKET posted:

The best parts of the Crusader games are the cutscenes.

Hey I thought the music was pretty boss too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OqddpU2oGA

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

MONKET posted:

I don't mod Wolf that much, but Chinese Tony Danza pretty much explained that part of it. The source code is very simple and easy to edit things right into the game engine compared to needing a specific source port like ZDoom with Doom. As mostly a player and not a modder of Wolf, I will say that there's something very addicting about Wolfenstein's fast-paced gameplay. Most of the time you only use a couple of weapons, the levels are barebones, and there's few enemy types. Also, I find the movement to be perfect for the gameplay, because if you had less friction and slipped around everywhere, it would only hamper you considering all of the normal enemies use hitscan attacks and it would make you less precise.

There's less to worry about in Wolfenstein, and I think that's why it's still popular. It's very arcade-feeling compared to Doom's more campaign-feeling gameplay, as reinforced by still using a score and lives system. There's less to worry about and it's easier to hop in and gently caress with, both in terms of playing and actually modding. There's no worries about dodging projectiles, falling down chasms, or any sort of puzzle gameplay. It's little more than pure ADHD diving behind cover run n gun action. That is, if you have access to a minimap. Otherwise it's 50/50 action and backtracking.

A big plus is since the source code's very clean and right there to tinker with compared to Doom's huge mess, there's a lot of crazy poo poo you can do with the simple engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyqtzsUl-0

This is why people want to still work on Wolfenstein :) I'm still continually impressed with what the Wolf community releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Commander Keenan posted:

Guys. GUYS. One of the best FPSes ever made is coming out on GOG today. 2PM GMT. Prepare your wallets.

Witchaven or Cybermage: Darklight Awakening?