Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Anyone know a working download link for AEOD? The one in the op links to a forum which links to filefront or whatever which just says "file not found" when i try to download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Flubby posted:

This thread inspired me to go back and play some of the classics I missed out on. I stuck to consoles when these games came out so my only experience with the older first person shooters was a bit of Quake I played on a friends computer, Doom, and the original Half-Life. Grabbed Blood and Duke Nukem 3D (which I open with eduke32) off GOG and played them both to completion. Incredibly fun games. They both really stood the test of time as far as gameplay is concerned. No nostalgia or rose tinted glasses for me. Played both these games in 2011 and loved the hell out of them.

Point of my post is to ask how Aliens vs. Predator holds up today. After Blood and Duke I tried to go back to Doom 2. I used GZDoom and Brutal Doom but even with those improvements I just can't do it. I don't know if I've just played too much Doom or Blood and Duke have spoiled me, but I am getting bored stupid in these mazes of corridors and searching for keys. I can't think of much else that really holds up as well as the two games I just got done with, so how does AvP play now? I see it brought up a lot as a game that was terrifying at the time.

Theres a new version of it on steam called AVP2000 or something like that. It plays the same but runs on modern hardware, just be prepared for a brutally hard single player marine campaign.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
RL alt fire should just be a grenade that you can bounce around corners and stuff but doesnt go as far. Shotgun alt would be cool if it had a melee attack that hits them with the but of the shotgun or something.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
For a while we had a steam skulltag group and I remember going to a few goons on skulltag saturdays or sundays or whatever they were.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I never got to play psx doom before and I started a playthrough with brutal doom and man is it a blast. Probably the most fun version ive played.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Definately rise of the Triad. The gibs were pretty satisfying and consiering most of your arsenal makes things gib in that game thats a really good thing. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for quake 1's gibs just because they are so bouncy and come with that ridiculous noise.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I used to have a cd for D!ZONE for doom which had a cool little front end. It had an option to completely randomise every item/monster on the map and kid me would just set everything to random and slap on the ammo cheat and go to town since you'd be getting arch viles and revenenants and ridiculous poo poo on e1m1. It also had tons of maps, obviously, and my favorite was always uac_ultra.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I think a lot of the newer fangled FPS game staples is a mix of them not wanting to risk money on trying new(or old) things, and the generation playing games now just wouldn't get the style of games like doom and quake and duke3d anymore. They seem to cater more to the type of person who gets home from work, or classes, or whatever and just wants to plop down on their couch and shoot some virtual mans without thinking too much about it. Ammo and health management, and trick movements and all of the other things that made older shooters fast and visceral just arent appealing to most people that like their halos and call of duties.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Well that video has me sufficiently excited to blow peoples limbs off with a dinky little pistol. I like how the movement speed looks quick, and if theres tons of teleporters and bounce pads and other wacky poo poo from the original this is going to be pretty fun for a modern shooter.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I would pay good money for a competent Catacomb Abyss remake.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I dont understand how the old source code would allow people to cheat/hack in a new game unless he means he wants to make a new blood game using the ancient build or lithtech ones? If its just a new build blood, I think id rather just have the source code personally.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah Blood is pretty hard. Tons of hitscan enemies and enemies that can kill you in a couple of hits. When in doubt throw dynamite at everything.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I had a lot of fun with the game back in the old days when it was new and original.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

Picking random as your hero should give you a new hero on every map change.

e: On well done, are the little hands in Blood supposed to just kill you from 200 health even if you're mashing your use key 200 times per minute?

Yes. Those little fuckers are the worst thing about the game and there are points where it will drop you blindly through a hole in the floor into rooms full of those assholes.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

Is he a wizard or what in the gently caress?

No, i'm just really bad at Blood apparently.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I think a lot of people confuse doom/quake series MP when comparing it to COD or the such, I know i've done it. You really CAN'T take much of a punch in quake games. It's almost all one hit kills unless you're using a full auto gun or can't get a powerup or something. In doom the rockets/SSG/BFG will murder instantly, quake 1 you might take 2 or 3 hits first, quake 2 had the same insta death guns as doom but with railguns added, and quake 3 just refined the formula further.

To me COD always felt like q3 minus all the poo poo that makes q3 fun like speed and movement tricks and all of that.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
When are we going to get the goons on Skulltag (zandronum) thing going again? Those weekend doom sessions were a blast with goons

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Not so much an expectation as a dim hope.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Is there any way to play newer gzdoom mods on old hardware? Id like to play some on this ancient laptop but it doesnt support gl3 or w.e

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Apparently my hardware doesnt support OGL2 either. Oops.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Thanks, dude. This seems to do the trick,

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Someone at Zenimax must have seen all the press gearbox gets for being litigious fuckshits and decided they needed a piece of that media pie. I would not be surprised if they started targetting doom mods at some point just to ruin any goodwill ID generated with Doom 4.

Cephalectomy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 2, 2016

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I dont think corporate lawyers often consider what is good for a brand when they do crap like this. Didn't they go after some project Notch was working on just because it was called Scrolls or some poo poo, as well? Zenimax are chodes.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
To this day the QUake 2 and Unreal soundtracks get me pumped to shoot low poly badguys in their faces.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

Which version of Pathologic should I be getting? I keep hearing great things about this weird game and I've been tempted for years to play it, but it kept falling off my radar and I don't trust any gaming sites for reviews or opinions except job and industry focused ones, so I'm kinda blind here.

I think it's by the same devs that worked on The Void and I really liked it as a surreal waifu simulator with color puzzles.

Also, which version of System Shock 1 do people prefer? Regular or Enhanced?

Pathologic is a strange game. At the best of times the english translation is incomprehensible, and it is not very fun to actually play. It is kind of neat to explore the insanity of the setting but dont go into it expecting to be having a fun story driven FPS.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I played the original version a long time ago and I couldn't tell you a thing about what is actually going on in that game haha

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

There was a decent LP of it on here once, the main takeaway I remember from it is that you haven't a prayer of understanding the plot until you play all 3 characters.

The Doctor was kind of understandable in a babelfish sort of way, then the haruspex or whatever his name was became quite a bit less understandable and i couldnt parse even a tiny bit of the girls story. I just remember the game itself being a chore to play because if you didnt do things exactly right people would die of the plague and it would somehow make even less sense and it was just an all around exhausting experience.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I usually don't save in doom but as soon as a mapset starts throwing lovely archvile traps out left and right I will quicksave. I usually play everything on UV so ive gotten fairly decent at the game in the last 23 years, but rear end in a top hat vile traps just seem like a cop-out by map makers.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Blood is an incredibly difficult game, don't feel bad about getting your rear end handed to you on the higher difficulties. They dont really cut you any slack and most encounters will have to be solved by learning to bounce dynamite around corners and over cover without blowing yourself up too.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of: is there a patch or whatever that fixes the save bug? I'd like to try playing through Blood again, but this time I want to set the difficulty to one of the easier settings and stay there.

Run it in DOSbox and use save states instead of the games save function.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Wow I've never heard anyone talk about that game. Seems like a pretty basic platformer but for the time these cutscenes seem kind of loving incredible??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKF3IVqljTk

e: sorry I know not an FPS I just don't know why this popped into my head and how I've missed it all these years

This game was not mind blowing but it was definately a Good Game. Check it out if you like platformers from earlier days of PC gaming.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Trying to play through shogo in this modern age is an excercise in frustration and poor gameplay, they would have to redo almost everything about the game to make it fun as a single player experience.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

High Noon Drifter v1.1 is out. It adds full support for Heretic, with additional items to fill Heretic's various new item slots, including this new move for if you really want to feel like a badass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-8Fvng9ro

There's also full support for Chex Quest, because gently caress it, might as well.

Haha, Thanks for this man. I am digging this mod a lot.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Quake one still has my favorite rocket launcher out of any fps game. The sound was pretty good, combined with that funny glorping sound bodies made on gibbing to make it pretty fun to use.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I like the spark effects in the first video but everything else about both of them is so bad. The rocket launcher looks especially like a chromed out trash can

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I really liked the tau cannon since you could abuse the gently caress out of its knockback effect and send yourself flying all over maps like the grenades in team fortress would do.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

juggalo baby coffin posted:

did anyone on here make Guncaster? that mod is super sweet and i'm actually having fun in hexen (!!!) with it

are there any doom monster mods taht work alongside it? ideally something like the tiered tougher monsters project brutality adds, cause stock doom is too easy with guncaster

I don't think so, but you could try some of the more difficult map sets. I thought Ancient Aliens played pretty well with it.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Marathon was basically produced from scratch independently of Doom, and 3D FPS were very new at the time. Their previous offering, Pathways into Darkness and ID's Wolfenstein were basically the only previous FPSs.

There wasn't even a Mac port for Doom until 1995, or 1996, and I remember feeling extremely underwhelmed by the time I got to play it because I was so used to how Marathon operated. Doom still does nothing for me because of that.

I feel like I should be mad about you not liking doom but your avatar is too good to stay mad at you.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
The DF retro dude has one of those supremely punchable faces and smarmy douche haircuts but the video is okay is otherwise. Long winded, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
An unreal pro strat that a lot of people dont seem to know of or gloss over is that some of the weapons do locational damage. Headshots with the razor jack and sniper rifle can and will instantly kill skaarj as long as they dont have a shield up or something. The eighball can charge up to fire multiple rockets or grenades at once, which will also work really well against dodging skaarj a slong as theyre not really far away. The minigun once you get it shreds through everything on alt fire, and the dispersion pistol and ASMD rifle do ludicrous amounts of damage if you have the amp battery turned on.