Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Rocket Pan posted:

Wow, that makes like 100 times that's been reported. :shepicide:
It's simply a missing check on the weapon slot selection (the Styracosaurus is actually just another player weapon, it's weird). WeaponNext/Previous are unaffected.

We fixed it and are aiming to release a patch with that and many more bug fixes on Monday.

Is the sunfire pod also going to be fixed in the patch? It's supposed to light the blind ones on fire and kill them

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

CJacobs posted:

There's a part of Max Payne 2 that I will never forget where one specific dude is scripted to eternally stand in front of a perfect pyramid of paint cans, specifically so you can shoot him and fling his body into them. The reason I will never forget it is because back in the day I thought it was loving cool.

edit: There's also a part where a guy rolls a bunch of explosive barrels or whatever down some stairs at you, and if you shoot them the ensuing explosion will propel the others back up the staircase and blow him up :haw:

I always found this kinda stuff pretty entertaining. It's a shame PhysX never really took off

https://giant.gfycat.com/JoyfulCloseAndalusianhorse.webm

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 23, 2017

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
As soon as I heard one of the "heros" has a barrier, I lost interest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq7Dy1kkuLA

The gameplay felt alright in the beta, but even if I only played the mode that disables abilities, I'd rather just stick with Reflex

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 22, 2017

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Shadow Hog posted:

Very easily, as it turns out, since there's no way I could find to the taxi reprogrammer that didn't alert at least five guards en route.

Of course, when I stopped having hesitations to just outright shoot the guards (I thought this was supposed to be a stealth mission?) I started getting further into it, but even then I'd still sometimes find a guard snuck by without me noticing and failed Objective C for me.

Plus there's at least one time where I hit the switch myself without realizing that's what that switch did, even after completing the first two objectives, so that was fun.

I'd be surprised if this didn't happen to everybody. Other than that, I didn't have much problem with the stealth portions. Stealth still pretty much revolves around killing everyone, and the CMP-150 worked pretty well in taking guards out before they could even shoot.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Every time I play Blood I can't help but hear Homer Simpson screaming

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I got 2 free Quake beta keys if anyone wants them

CAM7-E37R-G2XA-4P7A-K29N

NNA3-K37R-C2UH-6K9K-Q43X

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

GUI posted:

It's ok, Prey 2017 continues the tradition of having an off-center crosshair. :allears:

Why is this a thing?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Well since Strafe didn't turn out well, I'd like to see the guys who made Devil Daggers work on another FPS. The art style in DD was fantastic

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The Kins posted:

Good news! They're working on a first person roguelike with procedurally generated levels and a faux-retro artstyle! :haw: :haw: :haw: :haw:

All my dreams shot down immediately. Guess I should've looked into the devs a little more. I still don't know who exactly worked on DD other than m4ttbush, I thought I read that Sorath had more than 1 member

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I really miss old TF2, I had to give that game up when they started going crazy with the updates. Demoman was my favorite class, but when I was suddenly getting my head chopped off by other superspeed demomen carrying swords and shields with explosive resistance, I was done

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Vakal posted:

If anyone wants to try a fun Duke 3D mod, try out Attrition sometime.

The mod changes a bunch of things, but it's main hook is that all of duke's weapons gain levels and get stronger. So for example pipe bombs will start normal, than soon will release cluster bomblets, then napalm clusters bomblets, then nuclear-tipped cluster bombs, and so forth.

But to balance things out enemies gain levels to, up to the point where the game basically becomes unbeatable since the aliens can zoom around at near light speed filling the entire level with explosions.

It's fun to give the original episodes a play through since it makes them a legit challenge to complete.

Hey this mod's pretty great so far, I'm liking the weapon upgrades

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, the pickup for health... was that a Steam notification sound?
Last time I played Blood co-op, we alt-tabbed cause we both thought we got a steam message

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Johnny Joestar posted:

the sequel is legit pretty fun on the gameplay angle at least. even has a good variety of different shotguns to pick from, to go with the earlier conversation. too bad the story in it is just entirely godawful, especially when the first game has an actually decent one for an fps.

It's funny how a higher budget managed to make the cutscenes look worse. Everyone I played with just wanted to skip them. They had wonky looking motion capture while SW2013 had some pretty nice art

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

fishmech posted:

Isn't there good software rendering for that now if it's going to be played on a modern system? If you're playing on an old system though, like something 90s/early 2000s, then by all means do it.

If there is it's news to me. I got a Sound Blaster Audigy in windows 10 running EAX by using Creative Alchemy. Pretty sure that requires a creative soundcard. Depending on what card you get, getting the official drivers working may or may not be a nightmare. I had to use daniel_k's unofficial drivers to not get BSODs

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

fishmech posted:

There's the Alchemy software Creative makes for certain motherboard manufacturers and their customers that uses standard on board audio to handle EAX stuff. The catch is its very hard to get a legit license for it without the proper mobos even though it runs on most on board audio fine when those mobo checks are patched out. There were also some older releases that ran on any sound card without patching, but would need patches on modern windows.

It works by running the EAX stuff through OpenAL which should be no issue on any recent onboard audio.

Interesting, I wasn't aware certain mobos supported it. I was just going by what cards they listed in their FAQ

I do know you can run EAX in Thief 1, 2 and Unreal through OpenAL without using Alchemy if you install a fan patch. Tafferpatcher for Thief, Oldunreal for Unreal. It sounds pretty great, especially if you set up HRTF with OpenAL Soft

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I have an SB Audigy for the extra ASIO channel for music production, EAX in older games, and CMSS-3D is sometimes nice.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Does SPV have widescreen support? That was the one thing lacking from the Halo PC original.

Yeah it does, even has something to smooth out animations for 60+ FPS

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I kinda like how the level geometry looks late 90s/early 00s but with some shaders on the textures. They don't look low-res either so it's not a completely retro look

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Some Amid Evil gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rozsO71Siko

The graphics remind me of a bunch of different games. Pickups look straight outta Heretic/Hexen and the levels remind me of Unreal or Painkiller

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 6, 2017

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Guillermus posted:

If you use .227 fanpatch instead of kentie's renderer, you can scale text: http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

I'm currently using steam release with 227 fan patch and hi-res texture pack.

Oldunreal is also nice for the inclusion of OpenAL Soft. I wish every game supported HRTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvyU5qpuY0

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

SwissCM posted:

My quicksave protip: I bind save to numpad+ and load to numpad/ for everything. It's easy to slam save using my thumb from my mouse hand and quickloading is rarely triggered by accident. Perfect for savescumming.

These are the default keys in Deus Ex, was this the first game to use that? I also liked the Thief quicksave button as alt+S, don't even have to move your hand to save

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Perfectly good until you saw Half-Life 2's ragdolls

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
So Wolfenstein II is 50% off already, game's not even a month old yet!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Max Wilco posted:

Are there any tutorials or resources on how to make levels or mods for the original Half-Life? Making a mod for HL1 has always been something I've wanted to do, but I don't know if the dev tools for it are still available, or where you can find them.

I actually got into making maps for HL1 like 2 weeks ago. Getting started with Hammer was the hardest part cause a lot of tutorials are long gone, you need a fair bit of googling to find anything specific for Goldsrc.

You can get the SDK off Steam in the tools section. Apparently it doesn't come with the most up to date version of Hammer though, so you can get the unofficial Hammer 3.5.3, and then you should probably get Zoner's Half-Life Tools for compiling and to get a few extra features.
This guide helped me configure Hammer for Steam. The Whole Half-Life has a bunch of tutorials you can look through, including an archive of VERC, the Valve Editing Resource Center, which might help for modding.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

skasion posted:

Random junk food lying around that heals you for pissant amount of HP is the worst healing system

Yeah I hate regenerating health but I'd much rather have it than this kinda health system. Tracking back after a gun fight to grab a twinkie out of the trash can was my least favorite thing about Bioshock.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Glagha posted:

Dusk has some QoL issues that don't ruin it for me but were still frustrating. I tried to do my first playthrough of episode 2 on Intruder mode and quickly got frustrated that there doesn't appear to be any way to save at all. Like, I get not saving in the middle of a level but autosaves at the beginning of a map would be nice so I could quit and come back. Also the fact that the level select
1: only includes levels you've completed, not visited so I couldn't use that as my continue method in Intruder and
2: Ends your game immediately with no warning so when I went to check to see if the latest level was unlocked so I could safely quit without losing progress, it's just gone.

Quick save is F6, unless that difficulty disables it? I dunno

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Is Arcane Dimensions fully playable on FTEQW? I prefer that over Quakespasm for the dynamic lighting and OpenAL and it seems to be working fine so far. I'm just worried that I'm going to reach some level that FTE can't handle

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

eukara posted:

FTE handles everything, including ad_sepulcher just fine.

Depends on what you're looking for really. FTE is definitely the best for development, I'm speaking from experience.
QuakeSpasm is nifty if you're looking for mods that were designed for NetQuake in mind (so old-rear end stuff will run just fine) but forget about modern progs/gamelogic additions completely.
Let's not forget that FTE supports OpenAL Soft :heysexy:
I'm not a developer but I can't say no to better sound quality. Gotta have HRTF in all my games

Audio comparison clips here for anyone who cares:
https://cf-b2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/nknnc.mp4?token=1515132369-ZvupUbEKi8MM2V6MevYUFbH6Yb8g3C92tmXSyE0ReVo%3D
First clip is Quakespasm where shadowplay decided to record in 800x600, second is FTE

Another tiny clip just for fun, now that I know this embeds properly
https://cf-b2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/nxf6s.mp4?token=1515133305-tQE9N6KI2PgqJBfCo%2B9uaG6ZyG6bRKXyFkavVukEFqI%3D

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 5, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Looking pretty good, I might end up enjoying that more than Dusk. I mean Dusk is fun and the multiplayer and mod support is a huge plus, but man is it ugly. I can't get over box gun

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Blood 2 and Turok 2 at AGDQ

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Recently played through Dusk episode 2 after finding episode 1 good-but-not-great. You guys weren't kidding, that was a massive improvement in level design, I'm hyped for episode 3 and the eventual mod/mapping support

I bought the game just for these features:allears:

quote:

• Custom scripting (enemies, weapons, game modes, etc) will be ready long before custom levels will be, and will likely have some form of public testing phase.
  • A developer console will be available, similar in functionality to Quake 2 and GZDoom's.
  • There are tentative plans to support the creation of id Tech 1/Build Engine-style sprite-based entities.
  • At some point in the future, Dusk will become open-source.
  • Quake 1 and Quake 3 format maps will be supported. New Blood is examining the possibility of supporting GoldSrc (Half Life format) maps as well, but such efforts are tentative and support isn't guaranteed.
  • There are tentative plans to include configurable moving brushes similar to Quake's "func_train" and Source Engine's "func_tanktrain" entities, which will allow for platforms that move in fixed non-linear patterns, and potentially more ambitious concepts such as rudimentary vehicles.
A discord moderator just said server mods will be a thing. If this game gets anywhere near the same attention from modders that Quake or Half-Life has, I'm gonna sink a lot of hours into it. Gimme some Dusk entmod!

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 17, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

How many Nightdive games can I buy based on nostalgia alone? I remember playing this game a bunch with my cousin on the N64, did it also use the same engine as Turok?

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
One of the things I like about SWII is it has so many unique weapons, I think it was around 70? No random stats but it still feels like borderlands with how many you pick up, which is good cause I really didn't like how they handled the upgrade gems. After a certain point there's just too many to keep up with so you throw everything under a certain level/rarity in the trash. You end up sorting through hundreds in just a few hours of gameplay. Other than that, I really enjoyed playing through it

It also has the best minigun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnthwuG5Dd8&t=27s

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 4, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Johnny Joestar posted:

shadow warrior 2 genuinely was an improvement all around on the actual gameplay front (barring the stuff about upgrade gems people have noted which was at best a mediocre way of handling it) but don't go into it expecting a story that's as decent as the one in shadow warrior 1, because they somehow went out of their way to poo poo out an awful mess and crap all over what happened in the first game as well in the process

I forgot about that, everyone I played with just wanted to skip the story halfway through. The bigger budget mocapped in-game cutscenes just looked awkward. ended up looking much worse than SW2013

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Quicksave is Garret's best tool, and it's probably the easiest to reach out of all hotkeys, alt + S

I played through Thief 1 & 2 on the hardest difficulty because I like how they handled it. In Deus Ex you take more damage, in Thief you have to steal more, do more objectives and you can't kill anyone.

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 21, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

ToxicFrog posted:

IIRC, shooting fire elementals with water arrows or undead with holy water arrows does not count as killing them, so even on Expert you can explode zombies all day every day.

This is true, they specify that you can't kill humans on those missions

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
DAWN is what they call the SDK. I don't know if that includes their own map editor but Trenchbroom is supported

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

the nucas posted:

i realize this is superficial of me but why would anyone expect a halflife mod with an archiveofourown style name to be good and be surprised when it is not

Probably the fact that it's being sold on steam. I don't understand how valve allowed it to get this far if the stolen asset thing has been known for months.

At least all the drama's entertaining. This 8k+ poly pylon is magnificent, apparently one of the causes for framerate drops in Black Mesa

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Was there ever any controversy over Deus Ex and IW letting you kill children? I always kinda thought it was an oversight in Deus Ex but I played through IW recently and you can actually toss a grenade into a classroom in the Tarsus Academy, you even get some special dialogue for it. Now that there's games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim where they're in-game but invincible, I'm wondering what changed, like if age ratings censor that kinda thing. I imagine the Deus Ex devs wanted you to feel terrible for your own actions, and while it's definitely effective, I somehow doubt they'd do that a third time

Max Wilco posted:

Is it worth it to grab Ion Maiden while it's in Early Access, or does anyone think it would be better to just wait for it to come out in full? It sounds pretty good, and I absolutely love Build engine games, but I'm skeptical about Early Access stuff.

The full game's going to be released all at once so it's not your typical early access game. The preview's apparently it's own thing so it's not actually part of the full game. I'd say it's worth getting if a well-made but short preview of a full game interests you. Also, the starting weapon is an 18 chamber revolver that fires 3 shots at once

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 2, 2018

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Gloomy Rube posted:

Ion Maiden is amazing so far, but I'm getting major FPS drops when there's lots of explosions or when I'm outside or can see a lot of things. Anyone else having this issue?

Yeah there's a few threads about it on the steam forums. Ontop of the issue of frame drops, higher framerates don't look as smooth as they should when a lot of stuff is onscreen.

Hendricks266 posted:

Thank you for your feedback. We have identified our plan of action for fixing these issues and will roll out builds periodically as we make strides.

On a 770 my biggest drop was around 50fps, but it usually ran over 100. Hopefully they can fix it cause eduke32 very clearly can't handle the amount of detail that IM has. I remember this being a problem with the Duke Nukem Forever mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

treat posted:

Yeah, it's not great. Tripmines all over the place that activate once you're on top of them, jumps that require pixel perfect timing and accuracy, monster closets out the rear end, convoluted switch/key hunts (where every keycard is blue, for some reason), hallways crammed with enemies, instant death geometry bugs, secrets that require you to jump into death pits, you name it; Plug N Pray flirts with just about every aspect of bad level design.

Still, it's relatively easy on Lets Rock, and the playstation themed levels are pretty cute. It feels a single step above amateur user maps, but just endearing enough to keep me from hating it.

Yeah they sure had their fun with tripmines in that episode. Not sure what they were thinking with having you rush through a door that's on a timer only to activate tripmines the second you run through