Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

Thanks to this thread, I recalled one of my favorite game songs of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJUPgOqHC70
Ok, that's the badass version, but the original holds up quiet well, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0gh1cumBTk

The Doom soundtracks are such a brilliant mashup of classic metal riffs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HFEVyetVwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JSbOt7CLo

And countless others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brutal Doom sure lives up to its name, gallons of blood and flaming corpses everywhere!

Put it on Ultraviolence, IDDQD, switch on infinite ammo under gameplay options, grab a super shotgun and go to town! If you hold down the fire button, it goes full-auto shotgun :black101:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flannelette posted:

New official version of Brutal doom popped up.
http://www.4shared.com/file/bO0zvYUB/brutaldoomv010.html (skulltag)
http://www.4shared.com/file/Mx0W8Cuf/brutalgzdoomv010.html (gzdoom)

Lots of nice changes, including barrel throwing!

I've been playing this for a couple of days now and I can vouch 100% for it being KICKASS AWESOME!

Everything is pretty well put together and the animations are nice, not quite on par with Beautiful Doom, but all the other features make up for it.

Remember to bind keys to taunt, kick and reload. You'll need them. Plus, even with a fully loaded shotgun, you can still hit the reload button and be a total badass before flipping off a bunch of rear end-ugly hellspawn and blasting their heads off in a shower of gore :clint:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Purple D. Link posted:

Does anyone else think Thy Flesh Consumed feels more cheap than challenging? I could already tell it would be like that when monsters teleported behind me a bunch in the first map...

In the room behind the red door, remember to try and use the torches.

Best secret ever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

co199 posted:

Wow, No Rest for the Living is balls out, ain't it?

It's absolutely ridiculous, that's what.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mantle posted:

What is this? Brutal Doom + some custom maps? Your videos have no description.

Brutal Doom + the No Rest For The Living XBLA exclusive episode.

We can't link it here, but people have extracted it so it can be played on any source port. If you do find it, be warned that is extremely brutal, even on the lowest difficulty setting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

Nightmare was added as a joke in a patch. It's there purely to hurt you.

Hell, it even asks you "Are you sure? This skill level isn't even remotely fair." when you select it. How much more warning do people need?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

I've been meaning to ask you this, but what modifiers are placed on your "Pray to God" skill level? Is it just pistol-only Nightmare mode?

That reminds me of the "Mental" skill level in Serious Sam, which definitely lives up to its name. It's exactly like the hardest standard skill level, but all enemies are invisible unless they're attacking.

Nightmare skill turned up to 11.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ToxicFrog posted:

E2M6 has two exits - I skipped the "easy" one because I figured there must be something neat behind all of those locked doors, only to find a second exit room. Why does it have two exits?

It doesn't :ssh:

You should have taken the easy exit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maxwell Adams posted:

The chaingun sound is just the pistol sound repeated really fast.

Chaingun dudes and the Spider Mastermind use the shotgun sound for their chainguns, including the reloading sound.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ToxicFrog posted:

levels that actually resemble places

Hey now, the levels in Doom and Doom II may be highly abstract on account of the primitive engine, but they definitely resemble places. Doom II gets very very abstract in a couple of levels, but most of them are recognizable.

Funkmaster General posted:

Quake era 3D polygonal games looked like a bag of rear end, anyway. Might have been impressive at the time, but I can sit down today and play vanilla doom and have a lot of fun with it. I can't sit down today and play vanilla Quake I without feeling compelled to mod it to make it look better. In this sense, Doom won out IMO. It aged better, despite being technically inferior.

I think Quake aged reasonably well, considering that most of levels are sort of pseudo-medieval castles and dungeons, the low poly count really doesn't matter much.

Then again, I don't really get all the Quake 2 hate either. I absolutely loved it back when it was released and I still replay it from time to time. It was loving amazing when it came out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OneEightHundred posted:

Quake 1's software renderer also used a gamma-correct lighting table so things didn't look really washed out or change tone based on light levels. People tend to not notice this, but you really can't just disable filtering in glquake and have it look like the software renderer, and that is why.

Are there any sourceports that can emulate software rendering completely in hardware? Software rendered Quake, but in 1920x1200 goodness.

Wasn't there also something about GLQuake getting the texture lookup wrong so you end up with the wrong textures in some places?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

I think Fitzquake does this.

EzQuake did the trick with a bit of fiddling in the console. No texture filters, no colored lights, just software-style Quake in hardware-accelerated 1920x1200 goodness. Now, if only I could make it use the original ultra-low polygon flame effect...

I think the GLQuake texture issue is fixed as well. Are there any known problem maps for this?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OneEightHundred posted:

Darkplaces MIGHT do that via the r_texture_convertsRGB family of cvars.

Well, as I mentioned, it's NOT just disabling filtering, it's also fixing how the light multiplication works so it doesn't screw up the texture tones at medium light levels. Humorously enough, doing that wasn't really even possible with 3D acceleration until DX9 hardware.

It looks pretty good to me, looks just like ezQuake using the software renderer (click for enbiggenment):

Mak0rz posted:

I remember the underwater effects in GLQuake were really annoying. The game's engine would force the underwater geometry to distort, rather than putting some kind of low-res wavy filter over the display like the Software render would. I'm not sure if that's an adequate description, but you could try running vanilla WinQuake and taking a dive in the river of e1m1 and doing the same in vanilla GLQuake, you'll see what I mean.

It often causes weird holes to appear and clipping to happen with the wall geometry, depending on how it's structured.

I hate that effect, too. Luckily, there doesn't even seem to be an option to enable it, just the tint:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nekoxid posted:

All this Quake 2 talk made me remember the day when someone showed me the PS1 port of Quake 2: the first thing I said was "Holy poo poo, colors!". I wish the PC version would look like that.

The PC version can look like that, but I have no idea how to do it. The texture quality is there, but everything still ends up all washed-out :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nekoxid posted:

Believe me, even then it won't be nothing like this (Youtube link). But yeah at least it was less brown :).

Some of it is texture work, but you can sort of get there by fiddling around with the gamma, contrast and brightness. They're set really hosed up by default.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He looks to be using a Panther XL:

Or more likely its predecessor, the Assassin 3D, if that was even out in 1996. The concept is sound enough, using an analog joystick for movement allows you to move smoothly in any X/Y direction at any speed, not just combinations of north, south, east and west at either walking or running pace. Just like with modern consoles' dual analog sticks.

I think Half-life actually lets you move significantly faster than walking speed while still being completely silent if you use an analog stick for movement. That's a pretty nifty advantage right there. I stumbled across a forum of trackball+joystick FPS gamers a while back. Most of the posts consisted of whining that no modern games supported true analog movement, since I guess Half-life was the last game to include it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Now imagine playing Shadow Warrior using the keyboard only :suicide:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klaus88 posted:

Because game development has gone to poo poo? :smith:

I mean that's a pretty blanket statement but more and more most studios really seem to lack imagination when it comes to weapon, enemy, and level design.

I'm going to derail a bit here, since you're completely right about FPS games. It seems like they've stagnated lately, going all regenerating health and "tactical action" with quicktime events and consoleitis on us.

But have a look at Saints Row the Third, even though it's a GTA-like sandbox game with console roots (*GASP* regenerating health and quicktime events) and not an FPS. From playing the previous two Saints Row games I can tell you that Volition loves making over-the-top games and looking at trailers for the new one, it looks even more outrageous. Airstrikes, wrestling moves on innocent pedestrians, VTOL jets with microwave laser and homing missiles, pedestrian-launching cannons and that's just what they've shown in trailers so far. It even has an "awesome button" which you can press to make any ingame action more awesome.

I mean, the opening parts of the game has you escaping from a plane where you were held captive by jumping out the rear cargo hatch and diving through falling debris to catch your girlfriend. And then they turn it up to 11.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platypus Farm posted:

Actually, he kind of did this in Last Action Hero, and we all know how that went.

Watch it, young man. I like that movie.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platypus Farm posted:

Haha okay I'll concede that Last Action Hero was pretty cool but only because Arnold was in it!

Ahnuld makes every movie better.

But I'm not going to agree completely with you on the over-the-top PARODY MOVIE thing. They don't really do that in Saints Row, it's more like everyone is a hyper-violent sociopath and that's both expected and normal in-universe. They don't crack jokes about it as much as just treat it like everyday life and that's what makes it funny. Think GTA San Andreas, not Meet The Spartans.

Hell, one of the last missions of SR2 has Johnny Gat (who is the badass to end all badasses) flip his dead girlfriend out of her coffin at her funeral and bury a rival gang leader alive in it. All handled completely deadpan as if it's the most natural thing in the world. It's a bit hard to explain.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wikipedia Brown posted:

In the clip linked above, the main character does wink at the audience, drawing attention to how crazy everything is.

I just watched it again, and I can't seem to spot it?

Platypus Farm posted:

There's a distinct possibility that I've just become Oscar the Grouch in my declining years as well, so I might not be the best metric.

You and me both. Most games don't do much for me these days. I've bought all three Humble Indie Bundles because they're mostly quirky little games with a simple concept that you can play casually. But other than that I just want my games to be big dumb fun and stop taking themselves so seriously. Just Cause 2 is a pretty fun game to screw around in. Bulletstorm sucks rear end. I'm not 100% sure I can tell you why.

LvK posted:

I think your mileage just varied, since I can't stand Family Guy and Saints Row 2 got me by the balls. Course, it very rarely seemed monkey cheese random to me at all (probably the side missions where you get to spray poop on people are the only ones that gave me that impression).

Admittedly, those were pretty silly just for sake of being silly. Then again, spraying poop on everything while Karma Chameleon or The Final Countdown plays in the background has a certain sort of dumb charm to it.

99% of SR2 is played dead straight, though and that's what I like about it.

quote:

Also instead of finally playing Alien Vendetta (with Brutal Doom on!), I think I'm going to reinstall Blood. That still has the finest architecture I think I've seen in a Build game.

I'm currently playing through ZPack (with Brutal Doom!), but I may have to reinstall Blood as well. I can't even imagine how ridiculous a Brutal Blood mod would be, but it would be pretty cool.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

microwave casserole posted:

I don't think we're in a permanent downhill slope at all, we're just in an uncomfortable transition period between polygons and voxels. Voxels are ridiculously more intuitive and user-friendly on the content production side - Just look at Minecraft. The only problem is that we haven't figured out how to make them efficient enough yet.

I'm know GPUs have become more like general purpose massively parallel processing units, which is getting us closer and closer to proper hardware accelerated voxel rendering, but we're still so far away. I'd love to see something like Delta Force or Outcast with huge voxel landscapes and polygon-based models, made today to take full advantage of modern multi-threaded hardware.

I've been playing around a bit with http://voxelstein3d.sourceforge.net/ and while it's still pre-beta in quality (sucky animations, kinda buggy etc.), but it shows a glimpse of what a full-voxel engine could do. Everything can be destructible in a definable way.

Find a way to properly hardware render voxels, how to make voxel-based animated models work and (most importantly) how to incorporate a good physics engine and you could have a winner on your hands.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Minecraft isn't actually voxels at all, is it?

No, but Ace of Spades is, and it's sort of a multiplayer CTF voxel-based Minecraft clone with rudimentary physics (ie. blocks don't float without support):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hxuT-LSOl8

And then there's this, not an FPS but a pretty cool little game made with voxels:

http://lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=201

I've had a love affair with voxels ever since I played Delta Force and Outcast. In theory, it's the perfect way to make a game engine, you get per-pixel effects pretty much automatically, since by definition every pixel is an object the engine can interact with and you can do some pretty hard core culling of things the camera can't see since you only really need to show the visible voxels, no matter how complex the scene is.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 21, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tolain posted:

Anything notable about quake 4? I think I've become impatient in my old age, and am not at all impressed with cut-scenes, scripted events (outside of a few really over the top games. I like CoD's scripted stuff, go figure), and slow moving "crawl through vents" style gameplay.

It's not too bad, there are a few plodding script-oriented no-action sequences and some backtracking, but at least they try to shake things up a bit while you're backtracking so you're not just wading through empty corridors getting bored.

Like in Quake 2 you start with the blaster, but it has a charged attack now and doesn't suck too bad. You get a machine gun with a powerful zoomed sniper shot pretty fast anyway. It's a decent weapon for most of the game. Both the blaster and machine gun have integrated flashlights (take that, Doom 3 guy!).

And then you have some classic guns from Quake 1 and 2 in new versions with upgrades that are added during the plot. Hyperblaster shots can bounce off walls, which is pretty neat and surprisingly useful. There are upgrades for most weapons, the most useful is probably the rocket launcher which can shoot three rockets in a burst and lets you laser guide them like in Half-Life. The dark matter gun is just dumb fun, but very effective.

Most of the enemies are obviously new versions of Quake 2 enemies, but they work pretty well.

Overall, I liked it. The stroggification sequence is hilariously gruesome. Plus, Peter Stormare voice-acts one of the characters!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 22, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MounerKT posted:

Now that I've gotten all of ID's games which should I play through first?

Also Which DOOM has the most content? FINAL DOOM or The Ultimate DOOM?

Play them in chronological order. Starting with Commander Keen. Ideally, you should play Hovertank 3-D, Catacombs 3-D, and Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion as well.

As for Final Doom vs. Ultimate Doom, Final consists of two complete new 32-level campaigns for Doom 2 that are hard as balls in places and a lot more uneven in quality than the original levels. Ultimate adds a fourth hard-as-balls episode to the original Doom.

Honestly, none of the expansion packs for any id game are must-plays, the vanilla games are so much better.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 22, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platypus Farm posted:

Killing Time's actually not a bad game. I played it on 3d0 way back in the day and the framerate was abysmal but the huge variety of weapons and monsters made it a lot of fun!

Apparently, the 3DO and PC versions are very different. I played the PC version a while back and I remember it as being quite good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Brutal Doom makes some of the monsters larger, the Cyberdemon included. Somehow this makes it able to step over the barrier, making the end of E4M2 a hell of a lot harder than it was.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rather Dashing posted:

Beautiful. Now we just need 10x with Aeons of Death.

Nuts. Dot. Wad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Encryptic posted:

The over-the-top effects are nice but I'd like to tone them down a little since they do slow my reasonably decent laptop down a bit during an up-close firefight.

Try switching texture filtering to "none (mipmap linear)" and turning off high-quality texture resizing. It really helps a lot and in my opinion, the Doom textures and sprites look like rear end when they're filtered.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guillermus posted:

Just tried Brutal Doom 0.12 and im not liking it, its better for laptops/netbooks sure, but i miss the menu music, slash screen and the original "gently caress YOURSELF" voice over this Darth Vader one. I dont really care about kicking limbs around as the "feeling" of the mod got tuned down with less blood. At the other hand i like that there is less smoke effects but meh.

I think ill stick with 0.11 for now and see if he makes another 0.12 with more blood or something :(

It also tweaked a few of the weapons, so you can't just hold down the fire button with the super shotgun any more :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Kins posted:

You should only need to use -file once.

You don't even need to use -file anymore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tippis posted:

I should send those guys my old DeHackEd patch where the BFG was rapid-fire and did not consume ammo; where the plasma cannon created a slow-moving wall of death; where the chaingun fired so fast that it would “overheat” (euphemism for drop frames, so it failed to fire after a while); where the rockets didn't move and instead acted as sneaky sneaky air mines; and where the double shotgun fired so fast and has such a spread that a Cyber Demon died in half a second if it was standing within 10' or so, but where even the lowliest zombie soldier would survive forever at 20'… :D

That was a challenging mod to play with.

Sounds a bit like The Blessed Engine.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sky_May_Be#The_Blessed_Engine

Now THERE's a hosed up mod for ya :v:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8078

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Starhawk64 posted:

EKG I believe was that cheat. Stood for "Engine Killing Gibs." :gibs:

ROTT does have very good gibs, and I think it's the first game to have them flying all over place, rather than being a canned animation like in Doom. Also, the dismembered arms flip you off if you look closely.

Indeed they do:

Best gibs ever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cheesegod posted:

What the hell is this from and where can I download it?

The best mod ever, which was linked earlier on this very page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3420790&pagenumber=62#post397558988

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

WASD feels slightly more comfortable to me, as my middle and ring finger touch when I use ESDF. I'm not sure why that happens. Do you really need more keys, though? I can't think of an application for more buttons.

I'm a leftie, so I use IJKL. Back when I played Quake 3 a lot, I had most of the guns mapped to keys around that for really quick combos.

Modern shooters have like a millions different quick-use keys that need to be mapped, it's so much more comfortable when they're right next to your movement keys.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stuntman posted:

What modern shooters have you been playing?

Most of them, games like System Shock 2, Bioshock and the STALKER series make great use of hotkeys.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yodzilla posted:

They're probably real but they also might be real old and just test renders or who knows what.

I don't care about anything that looks even remotely non-good in those screenshot.

It's HELL. ON. EARTH.

:rock:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

H2Omelon posted:

Who likes ridiculous Doom TAS speedruns? How about a full no-monsters run of Doom 2, except the guy plays all 4 players at the same time?

[WIZARDRY]

MAP29 is completely ridiculous.

How the devil do you even do that? :psyduck:

I want to see a video of him playing it and a description of how he did it, because gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Doom builder has a built in tool for making curved walls but by the time I realized it was there I had already made all my curves. You can always start with square rooms and straight halls then just add things here and there. If I remember Q3 mapping you really made rooms square then had to use bevel tools.

Q3 was unique in that it had proper curved surfaces. Not approximations, but real actual curved surfaces. Unfortunately this caused a lot of seam issues when two curved surfaces met. These days, we have enough polygons and tessellation algorithms available to us that it doesn't matter anymore.