Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can anyone help identify an older FPS game I used to play?

It was a singleplayer game, taking place in what I could only guess was an alternate WWII timeline. You started off outside in a snow level, and were basically tasked with infiltrating some sort of castle that nazis were in. Shenanigans ensue, and you're somehow transported to some sort of dystopian near(?) future where you once again, fight nazis.

I really wish I had more details, but I can't really remember any :( I'm pretty sure the game was made between 1998-2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

czg posted:

Sounds like Mortyr maybe? I've never played it, but I remember the snow/castle level from the demo.
OMM review

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I'm going to say it sounds a lot like Mortyr, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwR4rxoavQk

Only the best in Polish "running around at breackneck speeds, kicking everything while hip-firing a bolt-action rifle" action.

Yup, that was it! Thanks!

Ninja edit: Was this considered a "good game"? Not trying to troll: i played it when I was probably like 12 or some poo poo and it was so different from the games I usually played back then that I had no idea what to think of it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Shadow Hog posted:

It might have been in Poland, but I've never seen anything particularly flattering - if anything at all - otherwise.

Haha yeah, I quickly Googled the game and, well, Wikipedia says...

quote:

Mortyr received overwhelmingly negative reviews upon release, varying from downright poor to mediocre at best. Main gripes included the inconsistent pace of the game, poor enemy AI, and bland level design. It was however, notable for several features, such as a promising graphics engine (seen in the screenshots to the right) and decent sound.

I have no loving idea how I ended up with this game. :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wadjamaloo posted:

Why has no one posted this yet, what do you guys do all day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0FKjMhqEJI
I'm trying really hard not to get too excited for this, but I can't help it. They don't have much going yet, but the progress has been pretty quick it seems.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty loving excited for this. I completely skipped over UT3 since I didn't have a capable PC to play it at the time and was too caught up in having a new 360/Gears of War, so it's been a long time since I've gotten to sratch that UT itch.

I re-installed UT2004 and it's still good fun, even with bots. Wish I could find my UT99 discs though...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I lack the imagination to see why this new UT is going to be awesome, yet a perfectly goot UT3 remains unplayed by all.

I think the main complaints about UT3 had to do with the color-pallet making everything washed out and players hard to see, and the increased presence of vehicles in game modes like CTF just not feeling very "UT" like.

Edit: also, IMO UT3 was released at a pretty bad time for a few reasons:

By the time UT3 was released in 2007, there were three UT games released within a five year span. Did you really need that much UT? I seem to remember people online being kind of pissed at epic for the quick turnaround between UT2k3 and UT2k4, which also (sort of) ties into the idea of just general UT fatigue.

UT3 was also released during a holiday season that saw Halo 3, COD 4, and The Orange Box with TF2, all some pretty loving stiff competition that had a hell of a lot more hype behind them than UT3 ever did. Most of the hype on the PC side of things was sucked up by either Orange Box, or Crysis.

Couple all of that with just a shift away from arena based shooters in general and...well...you have the perfect storm of UT3 being released and it being an online ghost town like 3 months later :(

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wasn't it true that Epic was seriously trying to pursue a "sports" model for Unreal Tournament, with annual releases a la "Madden [year]" or whatever?

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah that's why there was a UT2013 and UT2014

According to Epic, the reason for the quick turn around between 2k3 and 2k4 was because 2k4 was actually supposed to just be another bonus pack for 2k3 until they realized they had so much poo poo in it that they could just sell it as a new product.

I think they were kicking around the idea of a yearly UT game back when the (then) new consoles and steam were gaining ground, the idea was to use ~*digital distribution*~ (remember that buzzword?) to help them accomplish this. Then Gears exploded (in a good way), and Midway exploded (in a bad way) and I guess they dropped it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Keiya posted:

I could see yearly updates working, but only if you broke network compatibility rarely and had aggressive upgrade pricing within a 'generation'.

This reminded me that 2k4 was backwards compatible with 2k3, meaning that even though the online community was splintered, it was at least somewhat contained because at least 2k4 gods could come down to play with the 2k3 players and such on maps and mods that were compatible with both.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Segmentation Fault posted:

Could do with the fact that Quake heralded the end of the shareware era. The game was too large to distribute over the Internet, so instead id sold the CDs in stores for $10, with the full game locked away, the CD key available from id for $45. Rampant piracy ensued.

Perhaps id was still feeling the burn from that, and that's partially why QuakeWorld wasn't freemium.

Edit: EDuke32's Facebook page posted this, with the caption "Not much longer now:"

Some fun quotes from the post:
  • "P.s. this is an officially licensed port of Duke Nukem 3D that will come with the full game and replace the garbage that's on the Play Store now."

• "If they like the Android product, I'll definitely look at seeing about extending our license to cover iOS!"

• "We don't have any of those problems [present in the current mobile version of Duke 3D]... we also don't have any problem taking your money for our work. ;) The thing about the one that's out now is that it's "free", but episodes 2 and 3 (4 is not available) were in-app purchases. I'm not sure who would want to buy them after seeing how bad the game was. Ours will be a single purchase of the full version as it is on Steam."

• "Modding will be supported and our license includes several items, including the ones you mentioned [Duke it Out in DC/Duke Caribbean/Nuclear Winter] and a few others. An iOS port is technically possible, but I think Apple's weird app store rules actually prevent any version of the game from being there (even the existing one, technically) because CON scripts are interpreted text and the game compiles and executes them."

gently caress yes. Touchscreen controls are gonna suck no matter what, but I would suffer through them to play Duke 3D on my tablet :allears:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Linguica posted:

I'm not terribly surprised really.

If you want to play around with amateur game development, is there anything else even remotely like Doom? There's a ton of content, tools, tutorials, active forums, engines with powerful scripting, and making new levels and graphics are a piece of cake.

I've thought for years that any developer in preproduction for a shooter-type game could do a lot worse than to make a crude prototype in ZDoom.

Half-Life has given it a pretty good run imo.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

laserghost posted:

It's because I remember people complaining about too eclectic weapons in U1, you know, there's no shotgun, rocket launcher, or other "normal" guns, like in Q2. I guess the very same people praised Half-Life's armory.

This is the same Half-Life that included the bee-hand gun, snarks, gluon, and tau cannon? :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The thing I really appreciate about the Half-life games, is that they really do feel like a journey. It feels like you've traveled a great amount of distance in a fairly natural way, and the environments are varied enough to support that.

Reaching the surface in HL1, only to find that everything is super hosed and you have to push even deeper down is pretty drat cool imo. Same thing for when you return to city 17 and lead the resistance through the streets - they did a really good job of making you feel rather claustrophobic and paranoid when you have Soldiers and Strikers popping in and out of windows and such.

E :

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Ep1 is dogshit, by the way.

Definitely my least favorite of the series. I think at that point I hit city 17 fatigue and wanted some new environments to fight through.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Half-life's grenade physics are funny, especially when you try to throw one whole running backwards :v:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I seem to remember the grenades in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to bounce like a superball when you through them against concrete surfaces (or really anything that wasn't snow).

They also had a hell of a distinct audio cue when they were bouncing around... *TAP TAP taptaptap* *explode*

E:

Not an FPS, but Socom 1 and 2 for the ps2 also had superball grenades as well as your dude had the arm strength of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning combined and chucked them roughly half way through multiplayer levels :allears:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 31, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

RyokoTK posted:

I think you're thinking of Call of Duty grenades for the sound cue, the really out-of-place tink! tink! tink! sound made them stand out no matter what the situation was.

Do they still use that sound? The last COD game I played was 4.

Nah, I'm definitely thinking of MOHAA. They made a very distinct loud tapping sound, I'll try and dig up a video.

E:

http://youtu.be/Mw2hwvB3Cf0

Skip to 5:20

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 31, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I've never really liked the slow and floaty feel of Halo's combat. As both a PC and dirty console gamer though, I definitely appreciate what I consider Bungie's most significant achievement - matchmaking. Matchmaking on console owns, and makes it incredibly easy to play shooty man games with your friends.

I understand why PC gamers don't like matchmaking (I don't care for it on PC either) but it really is the best loving thing ever on console.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So I recently installed duke nukem 3D and beat all four of the built in episodes. I'm still in the mood for more duke - so what are some of the best third party duke episodes? And where can I download them?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To this day I can't figure out why Call of Duty got so popular though. I mean, I enjoyed Call of Duty 4 just like everyone else, but it wasn't that good.

There was absolutely nothing like COD4 Multiplayer on consoles when it arrived. You had Halo for the slow and floaty space alien stuff, Gears of War for the slow and grounded ROUGH N TUFF stuff, and Rainbow Six (it was still a thing back then) for a slower paced military shooter. Notice anything missing?

COD4 came in and blew the tits off everyone with it's fast-paced twitchy gameplay (for consoles), ease of playing with groups and friends (matchmaking was blisteringly fast, even faster than Halo 3's at the time!) and the class system was rather fresh in 2007. It was really just the ultimate package at the time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So I'm playing through that Duke 3D map pack "Dukehard" now and I got up to a map called "Poorman's Library" and uhhhhhhh it sure was a hell of a trip :stare: definitely was not expecting that...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Finished Dukehard. I found it fun overall, but holy poo poo gently caress that level "Power Out". I guess I'm not oldskewl ~~tr00~~ gamer enough but man it took me forever to figure out that you can jump outside on the ledges, simply because I couldn't see around the edge of the window when I was outside so I never thought to try.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Looks like fun. I'll probably play that until the new UT comes out :v:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Those Toxikk guns seem really boring (moreso aesthetically), though. I know it's trying to capture the FPS staples of "Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Sniper Rifle" but, man, those things are hella boring in looks and animation.

Yeah this and the vehicles (not really a fan of vehicle based gameplay in arena fps tbh) were the only thing in that trailer that looks kinda bleh. The weapons all look like boring silver and square boxes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

nielsm posted:

When Quake 2 mapping was new I remember waiting hours for QRad to calculate lights, and I never made actual large, detailed maps. I'm quite sure those who made serious maps sometimes had QRad times measured in days.

Yeah, same for the little Half-Life maps I made in Hammer. I remember seeing the map editor for Crysis the first time and being amazed that you could drop right in.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Negrostrike posted:

Gamecube was cool and technically great but did it even have any noteworthy FPS? :shrug:

I think Timesplitters was on GameCube?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I can watch HL1 speedruns all day. It's the perfect combination of skill, exploits, and speed :getin:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Douk Douk posted:

Duke Nukem Forever would have been infinitely better if Duke was how he is seen by everyone now: A washed-up has-been.

Imagine the Duke Nukem Forever intro of playing a remake of DN3D's final boss, and the camera zooms out, not to reveal Duke in a fabulous mansion getting sucked off by hot twins, but instead we're faced with a dejected, obese, unshaved Duke reliving his glory days in a white trash Vegas trailer park, bills stacked in the garbage, deep in debt after gambling his life away.

This would be a great, honestly. I'd play that game.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Max Wilco posted:

I doubt anyone is really interested in this, but I uploaded a video of Valve's Deathmatch Classic.

Was Deathmatch Classic ever really popular? I had looked at it on Steam a couple of times in the past and I thought it looked interesting, but I didn't think it was worth a purchase . I finally got it a couple of weeks ago when I picked up the Valve Complete Pack, but I only ran into two other players, and I'm not even sure if they were actual players or bots.

I used to play some DMC back in the day. I never played Quake/Quake 2 DM so that's the closest I got. Tons of fun, there were several bots that worked pretty well with it if you wanted to try out a more packed match, but who knows if they got ported to work with Steam.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Guillermus posted:

The actual shooting wasn't too hot and their "parkour" system was really really slow and bad. On console resulted on slow firefights that got boring after a while and on PC most ATI users couldn't even play the game and at that time they couldn't refund the game.

I fully bought into the hype of this game on 360, and it was a complete mess on console also. It was unplayable due to various network issues for the first month or so, and by the time it was fixed it completely killed whatever playerbase it had.

I got burned.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
The shooting in Destiny feels just like the shooting in Halo - "large" and "floaty" which to me, is just unsatisfying. Probably because I grew up playing games like UT, HL, CS, NS etc that have pinpoint moving and shooting mechanics.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So Dusk looks pretty neat. I tried to Google the release date for the full game, but can't find one? Could have sworn I looked earlier and it said end of October but now everything just says "soon" (haha :jerkbag:)

Also, will it support custom maps?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Blattdorf posted:

The date was a placeholder from the start, but the dev said it will release sometime this year.

Shadow Hog posted:

And the plan is to support custom maps at some point (in Quake BSP format I think?), yes.

Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna take the plunge and just buy it. The praise from you guys caught my eye, and I'm totally digging the Halloween/Late Fall aesthetic.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I just played the first 2 levels of the game, and I'm really liking it. Your dude absolutely loving flies while moving...it feels even faster than Quake (which I'm also playing through for the first time right now!).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Pope Guilty posted:

I never liked akimbo in the new Wolfenstein because I felt like I was constantly short on ammo and couldn't spare it.

I found that while I was constantly low on ammo, there was always some more around the corner so gently caress it.

Almost done with episode 1 of dusk. It's great! Can't wait for the full game!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Please give me more DUSK.

I need it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Heavy Metal posted:

If you get Dusk now to play the first episode, have they mentioned whether you can just continue from there to episode 2 when the full game is out? And not have to replay it and whatnot. Game looks rad.

I think they've said that you'll have to play Ep1 over again.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

I wish I knew about this back in the day. 13 year old me would have loved this poo poo :allears:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I don't remember the first FPS I played online, but the first game I ever played online was C&C: Red Alert through the service MPlayer. I was a 10 year old kid, and got crushed every single time by people rushing heavy tanks and base creeping tesla coils :allears:

I *think* the first FPS I played online was UT99.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Wasn't there supposed to be a release of DUSKWORLD MP?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Shadow Hog posted:

It's in beta right now, IIRC. Signups were a week or two ago, no idea if you still can or not.

Fuckkkkkk

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Since it occasionally comes up in this thread, I noticed that Nightdive recently released a status update for development on the System Shock Reboot.

EDIT: Hey, page 1234!

I'm pretty interested to see how the systems in this compare to preys. Especially the combat and level design. The combat in Prey was OK, but once you figured out the "puzzle" for each enemy and situation it was pretty bleh.

The level design on the other hand...was loving awesome.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I've never played the original Unreal, but all the talk in the thread made me start watching a let's play of it. The thing that I've really noticed is...the weapon models kinda suck. The enforcer looks like a cereal box and and shock rifle is just....bleh. It's kinda amazing how iconic UT's models are for the same weapons when compared to Unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I did a similar thing and played through HL1, HL2, and EP1 a few months ago. I finally lost momentum about halfway through EP2 and haven't had the will to go back and finish it.

I don't think I've beaten Episode 2 since it came out in 07, actually...