Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Vita posted:

Oh god WGRealms you started so good why are you doing this to me with the Hell Freezes Over boss :(

the boss is amazingly easy if you saved up POW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Kins posted:

The entire Quake series (except 4) is $7.49 today. If you're in here and don't have these games, you're really missing out.

bought the poo poo out of this. already having alot of fun, but i'm starting to realize there wasn't actually a whole lot of mods for Quake 2 and 3. (or that most of them were lost when PlanetQuake died) a real shame, because they have a plethora of features I think would be great to utilize.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 9, 2011

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Songbearer posted:

The same can't be said for Quake 2, which while impressive at the time for all the little graphical touches it had (Weapons kicking up dust, flies on rotten corpses, various kill animations), had absolutely abysmal level design and a horrendous colour palette.

I don't get this. sure the mission packs are just awful, but Quake 2 itself had nearly perfect level design. they did a really good job of sprawling you all over the place and making sure you had constant forward progression. and they always made sure you were blowing poo poo up so that you could feel all badass for clearing an objective.

And while i'm thinking about the mission packs, gently caress Ground Zero. it's got points where you can't actually avoid damage or just flat out make it difficult to do anything. TURRETS ON TOP OF DOORWAYS WITH OVERHANGS, OH BOY! FOUR ROCKET TURRETS WHILE YOU FIGHT A MEDIC, A GLADIATOR, AND 3 OF THOSE loving SPIDER CYBORGS, THIS IS TOTALLY DOABLE IN ONE TRY!
Turrets in a quake game are the loving worst decision ever.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 20, 2011

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm really suprised at how little people talk about Gunman Chronicles. That game is in a totally different league all it's own. never have I felt more in control of a gunfight than I did in any other game. why hasn't such powerful customization features been put in other games? it really feels like something entirely unique to it's experience.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
just post it up anyway. that sounds pretty drat fun to use.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Attempted to play Deus Vult 2 for the first time with Russian Overkill. I got the Yamato early on so I ended up skipping alot of levels with quantum jumps. Have to wonder if it's always this unabashedly confusing or if RO broke something along the way.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

treat posted:

This is the exact spot I stopped playing. I play a number of instruments and have a great ear for music, but holy gently caress music puzzles. Maybe it's a throwback from adventure games always having at least one awful, nonsense music puzzle to poo poo on you with, but I can't stand them in any format anymore.

This was one of the easiest puzzles in the mod, though? The chess board puzzle requires poo poo like hand-memorizing the board on a sheet of paper to figure it out. Everything else is child's play in comparison.

the entire end boss sequence is nothing short of wonderful atleast!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 16, 2011

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Russian Overkill update is out and boy are the weapon changes very much welcome! most of the weapons that had very little use before have been given some serious improvements. In particular:
the Stachanov's (charging laser thing) alternate fire lays down a temporary beam turret on any surface it hits against.
the Pushkin (rapid fire rocket launcher) no longer has zoom and now lays down a swarm of barrels for it's alt fire.
all the characters have upgraded melee capability, so you can play as more than marty and have a grand ol' time.

I've yet to try everything though, so there could be much more.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Dominic White posted:

The framerate drops hard even without Brutal Doom. Deus Vult 2 is an anomaly - it does some seriously weird things with the Doom engine that ZDoom-based source-ports just don't like. And of course it'd be lame if you tried running it with Brutal Doom - it's the biggest pile of monster-spam in the history of Doom!

Don't even try to play it with Russian Overkill. The claustrophobic style of the maps makes all the explosive weapons a pain to even use.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
it's worth noting that if you use Build you're looking at an insane mess of half assembly half C shitfuck that will make your head spin. or god forbid you use Ken Silverman's shader based engine.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Segmentation Fault posted:

My only complaint is that the player seems to be able to stand right in front of an enemy and they don't notice, I hope that's fixed.

the video comments explain that you have an item that actually gives you the ability to remain hidden in plain site, and the eye icons over their heads dictate if you're okay no move around them or you need to back away.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
it's interesting how UT2k3 and 2k4 are basically them smashing stuff together at the last minute according to that article, and yet they're both infinitely better and more chaotic than UT3. it doesn't make much sense how things went so bad considering that.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

ToxicFrog posted:

Any word yet on the source code? Or is he still opposed to releasing the source because it might ruin his ~*~*perfect and unsullied multiplayer experience*~*~?

last he said, it's not about that so much as the people who own the IP have no reason to allow the code to be released and pretty much would refuse to do so.

Paul Pot posted:

Epic's next game is a PC-exclusive (probably only until next gen consoles are announced).

They've already stated in a few articles that the next consoles aren't up to snuff at all. So either they are stuck with UE3 on consoles again or they have to tone down their own work (which I doubt they care for either). They'll probably be PC developers for a good while until things catch up.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 9, 2012

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
So some guys are making a Duke thing that should be out on the 15th this month. Here's hoping it's remotely as good as it makes itself out to be.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Bloodmobile posted:

Hopefully the story can be at least skipped. I can't play Nehahra or TMC because of the long, horrid, unskippable cutscenes.

Nehahra's voice acting isn't all that bad. the grainy audio kinda fixes that, but I'll say the villian has a pretty good voice.
also, isn't there literally only 2 cutscenes the whole game with voice acting? granted they're kinda long, but they're easy to deal with.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

JackMackerel posted:

Japan pulls through again with a wow.wad joke. (Potential NSFW advert warning.)

holy poo poo this is great

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

TOOT BOOT posted:

Personally I found the real gore thing to be in much worse taste. Photographs of actual dead people should not be fodder for amusement.

everyone loves dead space, and that's how the team figured out how to make the necromorphs look the way they do. looking at photos of mutilated bodies.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

JackMackerel posted:

:sperg: The thing that really pisses me off is that Epic decided not to release how to do custom skeletons and the like at all in Unreal Tournament 3. I mean, gently caress, there's a ton of brilliant models for UT1 and UT2003/4, and there's, like, twenty custom player models worth downloading for UT3. :sperg:

It's not that so much as how difficult it was at the time for hobbyists to make GOOD models for it. There was plenty of information there for importing and creation of animations, it's just that the tools to make nice high poly models was very short. On top of that most people didn't have the knowledge of topology for making them. One of the models that won the Make Something Unreal Contest (Xeno something) was rumored to have used poser models as a basis for their high poly.
All in All, it was a really bad time for custom content in general. Atleast nowadays there's 3Dcoat, Zbrush, Sculptris, etc. to play around with and information is far easier to come by.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 19, 2013

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Dominic White posted:

I think the developers have fallen off the face of the planet on that one, sadly. I emailed then a couple times over the past couple months - no response, sadly.

it was being made by a bunch of furries, so it's not exactly surprising that there might have been some internal drama that stopped it dead.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
with all the talk of Painkiller, I'm suprised there's no real mention of Necrovision which is possibly the goofiest, most arcadey FPS made in awhile. It's a shame it's combo system isn't made more apparent during the game, cuz the meat and potatoes of it's fun comes from it. Exploiting it is a great way to deal with the huge swarms you end up fighting through the game, and you definitely fight TONS of enemies over the course of the game.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 25, 2013

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I feel it could have been cut in half if it weren't for the limitations of the engine getting in the way. they keep having to cut to shots and move things around slowly and it makes it difficult to stomach if you try to watch it a second time. the first time is just amazing though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Kins posted:

Okay okay okay I know the magazine ad derail is over but holy hell:

You just can't bring this up without bringing up the infamous CHUB GAM 3D: DIRECTOR'S CUT.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Alien Rage looks like it has literally no original ideas at all. It's kind of a miracle it got released when it seems even more boring than Interstellar Marines.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
here's hoping they'll allow the code to be ported to Eduke32 or at the very least someone will work out a way to pull the Eduke enhancements on top of Megaton edition

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
In related news, The Dark Mod finally released 2.0 standalone, though their site is currently getting hammered hard by the amount of traffic they're recieving. you can grab it via torrent sites at the moment, since that's the only viable way to get it right now.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Lork posted:

Descent 3 is garbage and you shouldn't play it

Well gently caress you too buddy! I don't get how it's garbage with all the times I've played it, it's pretty fun, with a few bullshit moments here and there. Though if you insist on thinking so, give it a shot with the Pyromania mod or something else that changes up the gameplay a bit.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

An Enormous Boner posted:

Didn't Descent 3 have a competitive scene?

A pretty massive one at that. those who won tournaments got special icons put into the game for them via some of the patches. hell, even up to the point of 2004-5 it was still going quite well. the only reason it died is because the master server was killed.

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you played Retrovirus? Its on steam and they're messing with Oculus Rift support :getin:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2634

the issue with Retrovirus is that it's based off that one weird Toonami minigame, so you can only have one weapon at a time and the first one you get is pretty much the best one. the rest are particularly gimmicky and situational.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 11, 2013

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

An Enormous Boner posted:

I thought so. I remember someone telling me about a friend of his who was way into it. It had some weird movement tricks, like Quake, except not... "triple banding" or something, where you would move forwards and up and sideways all at the same time, because it stacked.

it made you move about 1.7 times faster. the strategy guide for the game even makes mention of how you pretty much HAVE to do this to be competitive online.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Zaphod42 posted:

Which ones, exactly? Please tell me so I can go play them. I love beat em ups, but most are NOT what you described remotely. There's no strategy.

Most beat em ups are move right, mash buttons to kill dudes, try not to get ganged up on. That's it. Lots of them only have a single move other than punch for combat depth; a move which does more damage but hurts you, so is entirely worthless. Even my all time favorite beat em ups like TMNT IV: Turtles in Time do that. Some of them let you pick up lots of items to beat people with, but that's as close to variety as you can get. Oh, and in addition to your normal punch, there's a jump kick. Whooo. Later Streets of Rage games added like a Street Fighter dragon uppercut, but that was the single combo you could do. Most don't even have that much.

How you describe is how they should work, but very few do in practice. I'd love to play more that work that way if you know some.

someone never played Violent Storm or Armored Warriors, which are arguably the two best beat-em-ups from that time period. Infact, it's a good idea to play both of these atleast once, as there is more depth to them than nearly the whole genre's combined efforts.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
On a better set of news, Duke Nukem Forever 2013 just got a 3 level community addon pack with original music made specifically for it. The second level is absolutely spectacular, and one can only hope that this sort of pace continues.

If you aren't sure if you want it, take a look at this video and be amazed.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
In regards to good endings for FPS games, the new Shadow Warrior really wrapped up it's plot nicely and actually felt worthwhile. Hoji and Lo Wang have a really incredible relationship as characters, and the game plays off that swimmingly well.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I hear that if you stand perfectly still in UT3, nobody will ever know you're there.

That game is literally the worst about being unable to see ANYTHING. Even if their isn't a desaturating gray color filter on the screen, you STILL can't see stuff because the character models blend in with everything! It all lights the same, why is there no priority brightness for character models?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Kins posted:

To be fair, apparently you pretty much have to fight UDK with a knife if you don't want to make a first person action game.

UDK is such a painful enigma. there's very little documentation on doing anything specific, and the examples it comes with are very poorly designed and don't explain much. Me and some friends were going to make a platformer but even the sidescroller example project is pretty broken.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Cat Mattress posted:

Within a given room, yes. But the up direction wasn't consistent across the entire level.

suprisingly, it's consistent whenever a room looks like people would be in it. all of those rooms are usually on the same plane, though I can't speak for whether the later levels do this too.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Keiya posted:

The original intent was for them to be network-compatible. But then they realized 2k3 sucked and they made a bunch of changes that killed that.

And it wasn't *totally* obsolete! There were two maps that didn't make it into 2k4! You know, until fans manually fixed the conversion errors about twelve seconds after release.

2K3 also had some pretty incredible user maps that were never ported over. the best I remember was a still shot of a nuclear explosion on a city, which was just plain fun for DM. there was also a very faithful recreation of the first area of Super Metroid, and a slew of other fancy things.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Anybody here know how to set up an Unreal 1 server? I want to play it co-op with some friends and I've never done this sorta thing before.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

horse mans posted:

Also, you don't get access to the source code unless you have a UE4 account, which is 20$ a month. So all this bullshit about 'development in the open' is literally just that.

except if you looked at it, you can easily pay 20 dollars once, cancel, and then do the same if there's a specific update you really want. The game itself is free, the tools are VERY cheap however!
For me, this is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened. I never cared about the TF2 marketplace as I just never cared about TF2 in general. But this, THIS makes me motivated! Making cool poo poo for UT and getting a little extra money here and there would be really cool!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 8, 2014

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I would really rather a game be themed around Russian Overkill where your own weapons are just as likely to get you killed as the enemies are. there's something incredibly amusing about that to me, but I also wish it had a few of it's own enemies on top of that absurdity. (slaughter wads easily make up for it though)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

rodney mullenkamp posted:

They're third-person shooters, but Earth Defense Force 2017/2025 are totally what you're asking for here.

I played them, and they're cool and all, but honestly it's not the same since the weapons aren't nearly as goofy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Zaphod42 posted:

If you've gotta match what Valve or Epic did, you're hosed these days.

What.

3D modelling to that caliber is so easy these days that even teenagers are starting to figure this stuff out in a matter of months. poo poo is easy! (Far easier than the days of unwrapping a UV by literally splitting a model apart and flattening it BY HAND.)
It's honestly baffling that anyone made mods back then, the tools were far harder than they are now.