Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ChickenHeart posted:

Hell Revealed 2 can be a huge jerk of a wad, sometimes.
Oh dear god that room. Seriously, the flashbacks. That is honestly one of the hardest rooms I've seen in a doom mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yodzilla posted:

At least they said it was a financial success so that team can hopefully learn from their mistakes and release more dumb first person shooters.

This makes me really happy. As much as I tried to like RoTT 2013, it was just too rough and janky to have a good time, but it showed enough promise and goodness that I'm really excited to see what these guys can do. I'd really like to see the rumors of Duke Nukem pan out for them.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Linguica posted:

Cool hooker outfit on the player character on the left there. I didn't realize it was still 1998.

Did you ever consider that she might be a hooker? Prostitutes can be heroes too. Let's not hookershame :colbert:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, Going Down is an exercise in managing resources, time, and space. There are many, many maps where there simply is no safe place anywhere on the entire map. You can't backtrack to a room you've cleared because new monsters keep coming in even in rooms you've been to, and new pathways open up to let them all in. Many times there isn't enough ammo to even fully clear an area without simply forging ahead into uncharted territory. Just try to limit sight lines from monsters as best you can, and keep moving, and also maybe experiment with what order you clear rooms in. Also if things get super rough and you aren't going for 100%, don't forget your only goal is to get the key and get back to the elevator in most maps. Sometimes you can just make a break for it and get the hell out of Dodge.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, I finished Going Down and now I don't know what to do with myself

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I tried with DoomRPG but I just couldn't get it to work. I haven't had the will to go back and tinker with it again.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Am I the only one who associates Toxicity with UT99? I remember playing so many giant bedroom instagib sniper maps while it played Toxicity at me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

dis astranagant posted:

Nintendo is notorious for never sanity checking anything, which is why so many of their games have crazy bugs where the game keeps going after being made to read past the end of an array or otherwise work with memory it isn't supposed to be working with.

I don't know about that. Pokemon couldn't do sanity checking like that because they really just didn't have the resources. Pokemon first gen only barely fit on that cart as I understand

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

arcsig posted:

They're a solution to a problem that never existed, the way oldschool shooters handled it was fine and is part of the reason why people like those games more than modern shooters.

The loot pinatas are only one step above auto-regenerating health.

I don't have that strong of an opinion about the trailer but I do call bullshit about the "loot pinata" thing. Having health spew out of enemies is not only leagues better than regenerating health, but is a fantastic way of encouraging a very certain sort of playstyle. Regenerating health sucks because it encourages you to hide and not play the game to survive. Health in enemies encourages you to be a demon smashing freight train because the way you heal is by killing things. It would encourage a very doomy, kinetic sort of gameplay.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I loved TNO because they let BJ have one liners, except he kinda half whispers them to himself like a crazy person

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yo is Sun Shihong actually selectable yet because I'm jonesing for some punching and guns.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I am also cautiously optimistic because I'm kind of encouraged by then not aping classic fps conventions. The last time I played a modern doom-style fps was Wrack and that didn't leave a good impression on me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What you should do instead is skip ROTT and instead play Doom but with ROTT music. Basically I'm saying play Hell Revealed.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shadow Hog posted:

I see what you did there.

I'll concede that there definitely are some MIDI sources that are woefully overused for Doom WADs - Duke 3D (ESPECIALLY "Gut Wrencher"), Rise of the Triad (particularly "Going Down the Fast Way" and "Suck This") and Heretic being primary offenders.

I was with you until the ROTT talk. I'll listen to ROTT music all day and fight anyone who says otherwise.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, no I'm not interested in New Doom multiplayer either. My small experience with it tells me it's basically Halo, which isn't necessarily BAD but I'm not into Halo so there you go.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm just going to put this out there but I think all shotguns should be capable of reducing enemies to red mist like the FEAR shotgun did.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

a retard posted:

Odds are if that guy had the sensibility of a modern San Francisco-based games journalist he'd end up complaining about how creepily the demons are objectified or some poo poo.

Whoa buddy, save it for Reddit

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As much as I'm glad that version of Doom 4 never existed, I can't help but wonder about human resistance fighting off literal demons. Hell, I think it'd be fun to try to keep some of the style of the old games in a CoD framework. Like playing a CoD-rear end game but like juxtapose zombie soldiers with the occasional giant techno spider demon that looks super jarring against the gritty backdrop. Make hell seem even crazier because you go straight from dusty grey apocalyptic Russia to a heavy metal album cover.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOpP8A7_KA

EDIT: "I love this game" "It might be my favourite game of all time" "I've played it SO much"

Meanwhile, they're constantly being surprised by enemy encounters. Never stop, James and Mike :allears:

Hey man, not everyone's played Doom in the last 20 years, even if they were really fond of it in the past. Plus they have to play up their reactions for the YouTube crowd. I was mostly impressed with how they knew their music references and managed to play pretty well for "I clearly haven't played Doom in over a decade" on a controller on what looks like ITYTD by their ammo counts.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dominic White posted:

even the singleplayer has some asynchronous online elements, apparently.

I have no idea what this entails but in my fantasies I can hope for Dark Souls invasions or leaving notes/deathcams or whatever

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nokiaman posted:

The Lost Mission in BFG Edition is also cool tbh and has best hell segment.

I remember playing about 5 minutes of that episode and thinking it's garbage but I could be wrong. It's been a while

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

al-azad posted:

The thing that really soured me on Infinite's story was the condemnation of the populist movement because in an alternate timeline they get the advantage and fight back against their oppressors. Booker even said something like "they're no different than the slave masters" seriously gently caress Booker. What an unlikable prick, holy poo poo. Hey oppressed people murdered in their own homes, I sympathize with you... until you get the upper hand then you can eat a dick.

Yeah I managed to repress that whole thing somehow. :wtc:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

al-azad posted:

The thing that really soured me on Infinite's story was the condemnation of the populist movement because in an alternate timeline they get the advantage and fight back against their oppressors. Booker even said something like "they're no different than the slave masters" seriously gently caress Booker. What an unlikable prick, holy poo poo. Hey oppressed people murdered in their own homes, I sympathize with you... until you get the upper hand then you can eat a dick.

Actually now that I've got a bug up my rear end about that, that whole thing could have worked if the game didn't quietly say "this is a correct thing to think" because Booker is already kind of an unreliable narrator and a lovely dude, but no the narrative clearly sides with him on this.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I picked up Wolf3D for a while recently and the thought that ran through my head was what the gently caress is up with mutants. Holy poo poo those are the worst enemies in basically any game I've played. Completely silent until they start emptying bullets into you and if they're close enough and you're unlock enough, straight up merking you from 100% before you can blink. I mean, wolfenstein combat is pretty rocket taggy anyway but I'm not feeling finishing that game if mutants are going to keep showing up past the second episode.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Apparently it's very easy to accidentally kill yourself in Duke 3D by wedging yourself into corners and doors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKAFWfXy5vU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've never managed to finish Eternal Doom. I feel like my soul is still stuck there, searching for switches, and what the gently caress that switch did to this day.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like shadow warrior 2 because it has fun guns and loot and is better at being Borderlands than Borderlands, down to the unfunny, terrible writing.

Real talk, seriously? Saying "Who's 'we' white man?" To the only black character in the game? That's your joke?

But seriously the game is good.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CJacobs posted:

That joke is a very, very old one. So, not only is it "eh" on the funny scale, it's also not a joke they came up with

I did catch that it was a reference to something but even then it's just kind of a "really?" thing. Plus the dick jokes are wearing a little thin. I get it, there's a giant dick sword. Ha, and the demon rod I have to collect is also a giant wooden dick. I think they let it go to their heads when they let you use the saints row dildo bat in the first one. That was kinda funny guys but don't get crazy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yo, I have an important question. The BFG in Doom 1 and 2. How the hell are you supposed to hold it? What is that arm coming out the top? It's been bugging me for literally my entire life.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm gonna lay this out there. I think it was a big missed opportunity not to call Run For It "Leg It!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like Ancient Aliens a LOT and only just finished it like a week ago. Very fun, leans pretty difficult later on ultraviolence and has some of the most imaginative maps I've seen in a while.

On a semi related note, how often do other people in this thread was? I tend to just do it periodically throughout most maps i play because especially on the larger ones I don't feel like getting 10 minutes into a map and then die because I got locked in a room with like 4 cybers and have to go another 10 minutes before i can even try again. I see people call it savescumming though so I wonder if people really do go saveless into maps because I think that's fuckin crazy. Then again I have a fondness for poo poo like Swim With the Whales that can get long and brutal at times so maybe I've just been trained.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was more wondering how many other people don't because I think that's loving crazy playing without saves. Except maybe the smaller maps like some scythe 1/2 maps.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno, I like the savage, frustrating combat encounters i have to reload at like 10 times because I have to fight a spider mastermind, and like 3 archviles with assorted hell knights in like 30 square feet of space and sit there thinking "how the gently caress do I do this?" It ends up like a puzzle game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I just recently finished Swim With The Whales and I started abusing saves hard at the end. I tend to only save before major setpiece fights but ended up saving at multiple breakpoints during the absolutely absurd final battle. That was probably one of the very hardest maps I've every played and I don't even want to think about trying to finish it in one run. Not least of which because the only UV-Max video I saw was over half an hour long.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

OhFunny posted:

I got Doom from the Steam x-mas train and downloaded GZDOOM.

DAYM does Doom play great in 2016. Went through the whole first episode.

Is there a way to get Steam to launch GZDOOM instead heading into the files to click the .exe?

Steam has a "add non-steam game" option somewhere where you could just add gzdoom. I recommend just making a shortcut and cutting out steam altogether. Just use it as your legal source of .wads which are all you need anyway

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

:stare:

Well okay, sure why not

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Vargatron posted:

What's the deal with episode 4 of Doom being so much harder than the other levels on Ultra Violence? I beat the game pretty handily on UV, but I can't get past the E4M1 without dropping down to HMP.

It came out later and was developed to the tastes of more experienced doom players I imagine. Also the early levels in episode 4 are notoriously difficult, you're not alone.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Holy gently caress I think about that game like once every 5 years or so wondering what the hell it was. You dropped my white whale into my lap

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah that's wild. Like, I genuinely liked new Shadow Warrior but it doesn't really compare to Wolfenstein and Doom. Also while I unapologetically enjoyed ROTT I really don't think it was very good at all. The shooting was kinda meh what with guys wearing dark colors shooting hitscan weapons at you from grey dark corners. Slinging rocket launchers around like it ain't no thang was fun though, but ROTT is definitely the lowest point of those reboots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Heavy Metal posted:

It's in the OP of this fine thread, you are not in the spirit of this thread if you don't want to preserve Shadow Warrior for history. You're a goddamn Heretic, and not the game Heretic, I mean like the noun, but the pun was intentional.

Shadow Warrior is a p. good game but you're​ the one who, upon mentioning that Lo "Just like Nagasaki" Wang might be somewhat racially insensitive, launched into a "Well actually, political correctness is the REAL racism" screed, my dude.