Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A bout of insomnia over the holidays led me to finally finish Blood (admittedly only on Lightly Broiled), which in turn sent me on a Build Engine kick. I also had fun with the Alien Armageddon Duke mod over the weekend. Jump kicks should be in every game. Classic Shadow Warrior is now the last of the big three that I've never finished, but that game just chews me up way faster than Blood or Duke ever did.

I wish I could play a version of Ion Fury not made by scumbags :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Soricidus posted:

I think if you’re fine with the overt sexism in duke nukem and the overt racism in shadow warrior, you can probably survive a game with a transphobic dev and some homophobic content

Problematic stuff from over 20 years ago bugs me less than current, ongoing bigotry. It's easier for me to pretend that everyone involved has grown over time and become better people.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Plus when you buy duke now, it's only randy you're a bad person for giving money to.

I did buy Borderlands 3, so I guess I kinda already lost this battle.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Soricidus posted:

If you’re using it to entertain yourself in 2020 then it’s not happening 20 years ago

I don't know that I agree with that.

But, I'm also a cisgender white guy, so I realize I'm not the target of most of the nasty stuff in those games, which gives me a privileged perspective on it. Everyone has their own limits on what they can and cannot overlook in fiction, and I'm not going to tell anyone that their limits are wrong.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

site posted:

love to be told i can sit and deal with a little transphobia

That's not what I was trying to say, but I was posting very shortly after I got up, so I probably hosed up.

My point was that I was bummed about Ion Fury because I was looking forward to a build engine style game I could play with feeling sleazy.

I guess there's Blood, but I've intentionally avoided looking into behind the scenes stuff for that game so idk

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Playing Quake again. All these years later and I'm still charmed by the Shambler's waddle walk :3:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Actually, the only acceptable Star Wars UI is this one:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

gently caress all life, I'm gonna play Blood 2 on purpose.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I read the Steam reviews. I watched Civvie's videos. I even read some devs interviews. But the thing about Blood 2 that completely surprised me is how boring it is. I was hoping it'd be an interesting disaster, but it's really just kind of a empty experience all around.

I was hoping for The Wicker Man and instead I got The Weatherman.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Convex posted:

If you actually managed to get it running in a playable state on a modern computer then you can at least feel happy about that, as even the workarounds don't get it completely working on my PC.

I got it to run in short bursts, which seems to be the best case scenario.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I played the Rise of the Triad remake over the holidays and found it oddly boring. Like everything was super wacky but somehow very hollow. I dunno.

Should I check out the original or should I just keep jamming out to the OST while playing other stuff?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Convex posted:

Play the Return of the Triad Doom mod as it's way more fun :)

Do you mean this one? I'm confused because the moddb page lists it as a mod for ROTT Dark War but it looks like what you're talking about.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The idea that Randy loving Pitchford gives even half a poo poo about other human beings is funnier than any joke in DNF.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

God, reading that DNF release thread that just got rescued is such a wild ride. I saw two separate posters post something to effect of "Well, Forever sucked, but don't worry guys cuz Aliens: Colonial Marines is right around the corner!" and I had to go lay down for a while.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Doomy Turtle trailer reminded me that I never finished Evilternity. Time to stop loving around with Build games and go back to basics.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I liked that Vega was doing his AI thing of trying to be helpful at all times because that's all he's programmed to do. He's not an evil SHODAN knock-off or a wise-cracking robo sidekick. He's just Clippy for killing demons.

Olivia felt very two-dimensional, tho, I agree. I hope that since it seems like Eternal wants to have talky antagonists, they lean more towards Hayden in terms of characterization.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How is Youngblood solo? I know its co-op focused, but is it as co-op focused as, say, Left 4 Dead where playing by yourself is actively painful?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

site posted:

no your sis does well in combat, and is pretty good at being on the ball with using your team up ability and picking you up when you get incapped. theres a 3 life mechanic, but tbh i dont even know what happens when you lose all 3 because its never once happened to me in the excessive amount of time ive played it. also im not quite positive, but im pretty sure that the enemy ai just is literally not able to see them when youre in stealth mode, which takes a lot of pressure off having to babysit when hunting

That sounds pretty good. I know people seemed pretty down on Youngblood when it first came out, but I could never tell how much of that was residual disappointment from The New Colossus.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really liked TNO and TOB, but they scratched a very different itch than DooM. Wolf games are for when I want to hear BJ mutter raspy soliloquies while stabbing Nazi's in the throat, Doom games are for when I want to go absolutely apeshit on some monsters.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Remember that horrible DLC for Bulletstorm that replaced the main character with Duke Nukem? I'd actually dig a DLC like that for Doom 4 if you did it with BJ.

"I think about the dream again. The barbecue, the kids playin'. A dream too pure to be real, but too good to forget. The robot man keeps telling me this was all worth it, but I've heard that before. I remember playing by the creek as a kid and---Does that thing have guns for hands? Oh, Caroline..."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

this but replace doom slayer with the duke3d duke that supermechagodzilla penned

Considering the amount of times Doomguy non-verbally tells Hayden to "Blow it out your rear end", this would be even easier.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ETPC posted:

give duke nukem to new blood

They can even reuse the cigar "weapon" from Dusk.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GUI posted:

Resistance is another franchise like FEAR where they introduced like a million plot points throughout the early games thinking it'd spawn endless follow-ups and since it was never a runaway success the final game abandons most of them and tries to wrap things up as best as it can.

The infuriating thing about FEAR is that from the jump they set up that this is a team of tactical shootmen who handle paranormal threats. But instead of leaning into being a BPRD knock-off series, they made two sequels about Alma even though her plot was resolved in the first game.

FEAR 2 shoulda been about karate kicking werewolves in bullet-time.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

It seems concerning in the Doom 5 trailer that there's a bunch of cutscenes with doom guy in them. I didn't like expo dump rooms but they are preferable to straight up cinematics. Did they have trailer only poo poo that wasn't in the game for Doom 4? Maybe they aren't from the actual game.

I think my biggest ask for Doom 5 is more variety with the levels. Doom 4 was pretty great, but the last 25%-ish got a bit boring with the repetitive monster arenas.

The earliest trailers for Doom 4 were also full of third-person stuff that wasn't in the game. I wouldn't worry about that bit.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It may be simple, but the Intermission music from Doom 1 sticks in my head more than any other early FPS tune. It's not as good as a track from ROTT, but it's kinda comforting somehow.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Weird Sandwich posted:

I decided to go all in with my dumb picture from earlier.

Quit whackin' it in mah Martian base!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Can’t remember if I asked but how’s the shooting in Rage 2? It makes me nervous that it’s an ID game that isn’t on their engine, and the shooting in Rage 1 feels really really good.

The shooting in Rage 2 is its strongest element. It's basically DooM 2016 with added super powers. The game has problems, but the parts when you're zipping around, shootin' dudes? They are fantastic.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It would be a pretty slick move if they came out with a sequel to Blood and just called it Blood II.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

al-azad posted:

I feel like Max Payne was the game to popularize the meta-narrative in video games. Adventure games have been doing it as a joke since the early 80s and MGS2 addressed the 4th wall as a real thing within the context of the game, but after Max Payne you started seeing more “am I in a video game?” moments.

I remember the "Worst thing I could think of" hallucination from MP1 more clearly than any other moment in the series. I think you have a point.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Serephina posted:

Do yourself a favor and skip the Build engine one, and play the 2013 reboot (and NOT it's sequel). It has all the corny humor with a lot less overt racism, is actually fun instead of frustrating, and... has a good ending? As fun as shurikens and samurai swords are, I don't feel the original game has enough merits to revisit.

Did Flying Hog lose a bunch of writers between Shadow Warrior 2013 and SW2? I still can't wrap my mind around how they went from one of the best written FPS games in a long time to sub-Borderlands garbage in the span of one game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Shadow Warrior 2 is incomprehensible gibberish but I still maintain the core gameplay loop was pretty drat fun.

The movement and shooting is better, but the level design makes it all feel like busy-work. Just going back and forth between three maps over and over again and then the game's over. There's no sense of progression from the design or the narrative, so it ends up being pretty hallow. If I want a game with good shooting but no forward momentum, Devil Daggers is way cheaper.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GUI posted:

This page is crazy talk. Shadow Warrior 2 has some pretty good combat and while not as polished as something like Doom 2016 it is faster due to all the movement options and being made for PC first. It was well received on release and if you like FPS titles you should give it a try whenever it's on sale and form your own opinion on it. The writing is bad but it's the kind of sequel that's just story-wise pointless rather than retroactively ruining what came before like Wolfenstein II or Darkness II did.

I dunno, I definitely felt like SW2's writing poo poo all over the first game. It made everything that happened in 1 pointless, a cheap joke, or both.

1's ending loses all its impact knowing that Hoji's sacrifice and the entire war of the Ancients was all for someone who turned out to be a walking sex joke who was just as evil as everyone else

I spent the whole game wondering what drama happened behind the scenes, because it really feels like all the writing was screaming "That last game was bullshit, gently caress whoever thought that was good, right guys?"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

They didn't make the guns better in SW2, they just made the swords worse. Its a lazy way to make things feel more balanced, but it worked, I guess.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The shooting SW2 felt pretty much the same as 1 to me :shrug: Sure, you could slot in gems for status effects or damage boosts like Diablo, but blasting monsters a shotgun in one game didn't feel significantly different from doing it in the other game. The dodge and sprint mechanics also felt largely the same, except that you could fall from greater distances safely which was very good.

The melee weapons all felt weaker in 2. The moves are all the same, but the useless RPG mechanics resulted in some number fuckery that made it feel like it took more stabs to drop a goblin than it did before.

Obviously, this can be mitigated by the gems, but that's its own problem.

Nightmare Reaper is an early access game with procgen levels, and its still the only genuinely fun looter shooter out there.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Doom 3's Pinky is kinda cute, in a naked mole rat sorta way.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Nobody steals our PAL cards...and lives."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Stunning lack of Cultists

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

God forbid a Doom game be made by nerds making bad jokes. What's next, a Persona game made by anime fans?!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Duke has hobbies too.

Those alien bastards didn't come to my gig :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Endless memes" being the fact that they said "Rip and tear" one time in an 8 hour campaign. I guess being outraged by the shape of an optional collectible could be described as being "more discerning" but those aren't the words I'd use.