Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
They're both really good, but if you had to pick one, most WADs are built for Doom 2, with its wider range of monsters, so that would be the smart bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I always read it as you die and go to hell, and Deimos is in hell so that's where you end up.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Using skulltag, while playing hexen, my first person weapon animations seem to be cut off vertically about a 1/4 into my screen, on the right. It's like the animation is invisible until it crosses that line. WTF causes this? Widescreen resolution?

The game was made before widescreen monitors, so what you see is literally all there is of the sprite. It's not an issue in Doom because all the weapons are centred.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Golbez posted:

Has to be asked - if I have no Fallout 3/New Vegas games now, is it better to get this pack, or get on the 360? Assume I have or will soon have a computer awesome enough to do it justice.

PC, definitely, for mods, of which there are a shitload/

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

XausF1 posted:

Overlooked? It was a critical and commercial success. The game is only barely 10 years old. But, yeah, Elite Force is really, really good with one of the best marketing slogans: "Set phasers to frag".

It's certainly a drat sight better than the series it was based on.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

Here it is. The most terrifying mod I've seen in ages.

MEMORIAL. It's all 32 levels of Doom 2 as a single, mammoth map, with some minor rearrangement, linking-up and a couple of extra monsters to fill in the blanks.

There's apparently some bugs that manifest in ZDoom because the authors are somewhat fetishists for PRBoom, but... there it sits. Dare you take it on?

My god, this rules. The cheesy Metallica MIDIs just seal the deal. It's like injecting the 90s into your brain.

EDIT: Is it my imagination or did the creator bump the difficulty up? I swear I picked Hurt Me Plenty but it feels like Ultraviolence.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 7, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

NecroBob posted:

See, the Metallica MIDIs killed it for me. Especially when it kept changing back to that same song over and over, even when I IDMUSed it to something else. And yes, I think the author increased the difficulty. I started on UV with Brutal Doom 0.13 and there are four demons, two spectres, and like seven or eight grunts in the first room/hallway alone.

Looking back at the thread I missed the part that said that Memorial HMP equals vanilla UV. Lower difficulty levels appear to half the number of monsters overall, but mix things up and give you more supplies. The two riflemen at the start get replaced by demons, there's a hell knight in Entryway, and other fun stuff. I like it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Zero Star posted:

This cannot be overstated. Revenants are cocks who will quite happily fire missiles into your face at point-blank range as a counter-attack. :argh:

loving chaingunners are the worst. At least revenants aren't hitscan.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I get the following error when I try to play Reelism with GZDoom:

quote:

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "reelism_11.pk7:splot.wad:DA-BOTS" line 144:
Invalid state parameter a_setscale

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

It looks like Christmas

Will you be adding more maps in future releases, or will other people be able to make maps for it? Because I think a Doomified version of Dead Rising's mall or Fortune City would fit this mod really well.

Or maybe a bonus mode - a score attack based on the most satisfying reel combination - Infinite Ammo, Flame Weapons, Bronies.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Reelism is remarkably addictive! Though I've learned to dread when Former Humans come up in the enemy reel. Hundreds of hitscan weapons. You can imagine how that usually works out for me. At least there's oodles of infighting.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Clearly we need to stage some sort of wacky surprise reunion scenario!

Now there's a summer feel-good buddy comedy film idea.

One was a guru of engines, the other an advocate of design, torn apart by their conflicts. But this summer, they're getting the team back together! Martin Freeman and Nicholas Cage are: John & John! Coming summer 2012.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Chinook posted:

I'm in a bad mood. Someone please assign me a random Doom mod and level set to play. Thanks. :hellyeah:

Reelism. Doesn't need a level set, just play it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

Xaser's wonderful Psychic gameplay mod has been updated to Beta 5, adding support for Strife and the Raven games.

Hooray, the pistols have autofire now! My clicking finger is so relieved.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Convex posted:

Sounds like they also removed the weird flashlight gimmick.

What are the chances of getting this as an upgrade to my existing copy?

Slim, if they're doing "graphical upgrades" like the press release says.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ohvee posted:

I'm still in disbelief that something like this could be so silently released. Also, the possibilities that it opens up for fan missions are pretty exciting.

Speaking of which, I'd love to hear about the thread's favourite fan missions for Thief 2. I mean I suppose everyone knows Broken Triad, Mission X and the like but I'm sure there's ones that have fallen through the gaps, as it were.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
When I was younger I misunderstood the manual's description of revenants and thought that they revived other enemies, like the archviles do. The fact that I never ever saw one do this didn't clue me in at all - I just thought I was killing them too fast for them to do it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember reading the manual's description of enemies, and there were at least two occasions where the description ended with "'nuff said". I didn't know who "nuff" was or why he was an expert on Doom beasties, but my 8-year-old brain conjured up an image of a bearded goat man to fit the name. No poo poo. It was years before I realized that 'nuff was just denim-shorts-shorthand for "enough".

Thank god, it wasn't just me.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

Console ports of PC-centric FPS games were weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXeti5M-Wo

To make it even weirder, this port was done by Bullfrog, and you deathmatched against Dungeon Keeper characters at one point.

I had this game! It's pretty much as lame as it looks. After beating that boss you would indeed unlock the Horned Reaper and Mistress and fight in a dungeon-themed map.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I read the OP and Googled this but I could not find a "GZDoom for dummies" guide to run Ultimate Doom under Steam. I would appreciate any help. Here is what I did:

a) downloaded latest SVN of GZDoom as mentioned in the OP;
b) extracted all files to the \base doom directory (under steamapps\common\ultimate doom);
c) ran gzdoom from there - apparently this should show a popup menu telling me to select a .wad, but this never happened - it jumped right into doom and asked me to select an episode and difficulty level.

The game does seem to run a bit nicer, but overall I am not seeing that much of an improvement. Maybe I am expecting too much, but all this does it to make it look non-horribly pixelated.

GZDoom is not a high resolution texture pack or whatever. By default, without addons, you basically get regular old Doom at native resolution, with some bug fixes and without that weird warping effect that the Doom, Build and similar engines get when you look up and down.

There are enhancement mods like ReDoom and Beautiful Doom that may be more what you were hoping for, mods to smooth out the animations and so on, but I don't know which is held in better regard.

Is Ultimate Doom the only Doom engine game you have installed? That might explain why it didn't ask you to pick a game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The talk in the thread convinced me to give Samsara a try, and Hexen really is improved if you play as Duke Nukem, I must say. And the Marathon guy's dual shotguns are a lot of fun.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

I remember back in the day how much *gushing* the PC Gamer staff over Star Trek Elite Force. I never understood why after playing a demo. Was there merit to the infatuation?

It was a Star Trek game that wasn't poo poo. At the time it was a novelty. Still is, come to that. I liked Elite Force, personally, it seemed to do Voyager a lot better than Voyager did, even if (or perhaps because) the plot was just a paper thin excuse to pit you against as many iconic Star Trek enemies as they could fit in. And some of the poo poo ones from Voyager.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

I really liked Wolf3D on the gameboy advance. Controls are perfect and the graphics look great on the system. You can sit down to kill some Nazis anywhere, like on the toilet.

The Doom ports were pretty good. Doom 1 had some weird issues with different level orders and the wrong music being on levels, and didn't include Thy Flesh Consumed, but Doom 2 was an extremely faithful port, with the exception of some of the larger levels being split in two.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cobweb Heart posted:

In today's news, I just found that according to some official Wolfenstein 3D hint book, Billy Blaze - AKA Commander Keen - is BJ's grandson. Doomguy is related to them too, somehow.

The Doomguy in Doom 2 RPG (which I've never played but apparently it was fun) was called John Blazcowicz, so there's the link I suppose.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
If I could make a change to Reelism it would be to have the Duke Nukem 3D weapons use the same ammo pools as their equivalents in the other rounds.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

I might just be doing it wrong, but I get a script error whenever I try to run the game, through either GZDoom or Zandorum. Both updated today.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It's not an "early" FPS by any means, but having started playing Metro 2033 Redux the other day, a few years after playing the original, I'm a big fan of its shotguns, especially the Shambler, which is the six-shot revolver shotgun that you reload by shoving the shells onto the sides of the cylinder and racking the gun to get at the slots that weren't accessible. The Bastard SMG is pretty great too. Not gameplay wise, it basically sucks, but everything about it from the sounds to the recoil to the reloading animation hammer home that it's a complete piece of poo poo and yet I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI50Ekjbpmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_wKnjfHmY

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 30, 2014

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm having a graphical issue with the build of GZDoom distributed in the Lovely Doom pack from earlier in the thread. Semi-transparent textures, like railings and grates, turn black and opaque when shooting near or through them. I don't know enough about GZDoom to know how to fix this, but I do know that I never had this issue when using GZDoom builds downloaded from the GZDoom site. Anyone have any insight?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Could it be this? It might be fixed in dev builds now.

Yep, that did the trick. Mildly embarrassed that I didn't think of updating myself, since I'm certain I've already posted problems in this very thread that were fixed by updating to the latest dev build.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I just got completely blindsided by Reelism's secret ending today. What a lovely thing it was. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Holy Brick + Dog Pope? Yeah, it's definitely something.

I think it's just any boss, I got it with A Motherfucking Wizard In A Motherfucking Monster Truck.