Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Oh man, this thread is great. I spent so many hours of my youth playing these games. I still try to play Blood every Halloween.

Punch Rockgroin posted:

Another great LucasArts FPS from that time that never really caught on is Outlaws. It was set in the Wild West and sported cartoony graphics and an awesome orchestral soundtrack. I suspect the lack of success was due to the use of whacky graphics instead of limbs flying everywhere, which was a shame because the multiplayer mode was one of the best I've ever played. You could choose one of six characters, each with their own advantages and disadvantages and there were a ton of user created maps despite the relatively small base
Came in here to mention Outlaws. Loved that game, and it's a pity that it didn't become more popular. I think the issue was that Outlaws came out at the tail end of the 2.5D era, so it was hurt by the likes of Quake and Quake II. IIRC, it was one of the first games with a reloading system and the ability to look down the scope on the sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henker
May 5, 2009

I actually loved Blood 2 as a kid, so I was not aware of what a mess the development of the game was. Granted, I had not actually played Blood 1 at the time, and as soon as I did I immediately acknowledged the clear superiority of the original and could see why the sequel was such a disappointment to everyone.