Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
That was one of the best drat OP's I've seen on the forums, thanks The Kins for your great work! And you even included Thief!

This is a man who knows what's good. Definitely need to include Starsiege: Tribes in that list though, as a very unique 1998 competitive shooter that introduced or popularized many shooter concepts that are common today it certainly deserves a place. I'll do a little writeup on it sometime this weekend if nobody else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
grognard.jpg:

I really do love old shooters. I feel like the genre hasn't produced as much gold as those early years, and I'm hoping we see a real rebound as gaming grows large enough to incorporate niche players.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What's really worth getting upset over is that horrible blue-yellow gradient in the title font.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Shadowborn posted:

Whoa whoa. I do not remember Blood being so hard. I started the first episode on the default difficulty and didn't even make it past the cemetery. As soon as I opened the gate the first cultist threw dynamite in my face and the second one finished the job. Still, the game is as fun as it was back in the day. Really creative (?) weapons and Caleb's quips are often genuinely funny. Definitely my favorite Build game!
Yeah Blood is hard as nails, I remember that clearly. That game had such character, not something I think I could say about many modern games. I am angry about the modern warfares

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Blood is a step up in difficulty from the shooters it was contemporary with.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Yodzilla posted:

With so many guns and enemies ripped from so many games how can you tell what the gently caress is going on?
It's easy to make sense of things. See movement, keep the trigger down until movement stops. :haw:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Is there a technical distinction between making a TC and making a video game?
No, not really. Holdover slang from the 90's is right on.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Retroblazer is pretty fun. I wish ammo was a little less scarce, though. Either that or beef up the main sidearm, I know they're going for the arcadey-style temporary powerup thing but sometimes it can be a bit of a slog just fighting 2 or 3 guys who aren't otherwise challenging.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Yeah, the alt fire was cool (all the weapons have alt fires) but also extremely expensive. You get enough energy in a level for like 2-3 shots with the sidearm per level, maybe 5-6 if you actively seek out all the energy blips. I just feel like you end up using the main fire on the sidearm way too much for how little damage/range it has.

Possible solutions:
  • Beef up the range and damage on the sidearm
  • Lower the alt fire damage and grant passive energy regeneration
  • Change the other weapons to temporary powerups that have no ammo restrictions but only last a short duration. The way it is now you end up saving them for intense situations anyways, a powerup you can activate (a la Quad Damage) would be a more fun way of doing it while still keeping the same balance. Bonus points for fitting in with the arcade theme.
  • Have enemies drop ammo, put more ammo on the map, and increase the maximum ammo storage. You will go through the max 200 rounds on the machine gun in about 30 seconds of use.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

emoticon posted:

So is the Doom source code. It has all sorts of hacks, bugs, and hard coded limits in it. If Doom and Duke3D can have ports running in full 3D at 60+ FPS, why can't Aleph One (other than laziness)?
Not quite laziness I guess but there's definitely a lot less interest in the game compared to Doom and Duke3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Hey why do the nipples in Duke3D look so terrifying?
This is what I'm talking about. :nws: if you are a Quaker or something.