Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

To be honest, that's probably better than how the PC version ran when it launched. It also looked a hell of a lot better at that.

I dunno. I remember Descent running smooth as silk on my family's IBM Aptiva back in the day, and it only had a 75 MHz processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

CRUNCH AND POUR

YOU ARE HUGE, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE FLAVOR!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rocket Jockey is like the best game nobody ever tried to rip off, homage, or remake in earnest. Also has an amazing soundtrack that is 100% surf rock and 50% of that is Dick Dale. I really need to see if I can find my CD of Rocket Jockey and if I can somehow get it to work on a modern system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IO71aVvxPk

Now a slightly on-topic question, does anyone have a good control setup for Reelism? I started playing it a few days ago but I feel that either I'm just really bad, or something in my setup is cause I'm lucky if I make it past the first round. Course I could also just be unlucky.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 10, 2016

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I like that, of course, Cyber Macho Demon has a mechanical leg and arm :golfclap:

"Punch Cyber Macho Demon until he falls down, Marine!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

laserghost posted:

I don't have much to add beyond stating "gently caress Zenimax" and "gently caress Gearbox".

Gearbox, more like Garbagebox, right? Because their ideas are trash.

Come to think of it, Grayson is kinda like OC version of Duke.

To be fair, Gearbox didn't make Bulletstorm, they're just publishing the Full Clip version. Epic and People Can Fly made the original game (which was published by EA). So Grayson being Duke-ish would be more coincidence than anything.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

laserghost posted:

I actually liked Bulletstorm despite it's many many shortcomings, like completely atrocious controls on PC and think it deserves second chance, but not at (near?) full price. I mean updated Black Mesa costs 20$/€ and there's hell of a work involved, while I'm betting that GBX did gently caress-all other than upscaling the graphics and porting the game to UE4 for console compatibility. Oh, and literally shoehorned Duke into it.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, Gearbox releasing this at $50 USD is ridiculous, it's $30 at most, maybe $40.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Expansion packs are somehow also different

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Just judging by the amount of stuff they contain by comparison, yes they definitely are.

If we're talking purely cosmetic DLC then yes they are different but there's no gameplay content locked away so it's not even like you're required to have it or gain an advantage, as pointed out.

If we're talking DLC that adds new levels, quests, weapons, worlds, etc. then no there's no difference ultimately, although both DLC and Expansion Packs can be priced badly

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

whyyyyyy stop being dicks already

Warner Bros. probably thinks they can make a movie out of it, it's the only possible reason for not giving up the IP. Aside from standard corporate obstinance of course.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well it makes sense considering that Free Radical was formed by former Rare employees that had worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. But yeah the design document of Timesplitters 2 might as well have been a Goldeneye GDD with the name crossed out and an appendix stapled on mentioning Multiplayer bots and a Map Editor, given the play mechanics.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Map editor on a console is a pretty ambitious feature though, and few other games offer that. Farcry... Halo but not to the same extent... pretty rare. (;))

Plus the timesplitters games had just outrageous amounts of content, guns, map themes, characters, bonus challenges to unlock stuff... they're pretty beefy games.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Timesplitters is bad, it's definitely a great game it just happens to mechanically be very similiar to Goldeneye. Really the wealth of content in TS2 was amazing and I never managed to unlock it all because some of those challenges are bullshit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Ts2 plays great through dolphin now even on my 9 year old machine but tbh ts just isn't as good as ge or pd were

I feel part of the problem with Timesplitters 2 is that the campaign is bad compared to both GE and PD. Sure it starts out nice, even paying homage to Goldeneye with the first mission which seems to posit "What if the Arkhangelsk Dam but with more sci-fi?", but it soon gets bogged down with some really lovely objectives (Neo Tokyo's extended stealth following section, Atom Smasher's time limit, Robot Factory's everything), and while the good levels are as good as any Perfect Dark level, the bad ones are just really bad and hard in that unfun, Rareware-styled "we're going to make this extra obtuse and difficult because we're British game devs and that's how we do things on this side of the pond" way (fitting, since Free Radical was made up of ex Rare guys).

However where TS2 does excel is with the multiplayer (or Arcade mode, as they call it). Pretty similiar to PD and Goldeneye but with a massive cast of unlockable characters, and an "Arcade League" which basically serves as an entertaining challenge mode with different weapon sets and objectives, some of which aren't even based on any real combat. Additionally there's a map editor as well which is quite robust for the generation the game came out in.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 23, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

Everybody dogpiles on games like Strafe for having procgen level design, as if all these 25-years-too-late Wolf clones where "level design" involves blacking in squares on graph paper are even worth mention.

Speaking of Strafe, I finally played it for the first time at PAX East and the procgen wasn't...bad? I mean it had verticality, rooms with multiple levels, and all the other stuff I would expect out of a game that was trying to evoke Doom/Quake in terms of level design. The part I found more annoying was that if you reloaded on a clip that wasn't empty you hosed yourself out of a lot of ammo, and the fact that getting more ammo was difficult as hell.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Has anyone here tried Strafe? It's coming out soon and it looks cool but I didn't realize it was a procedurally generated thing until just now.

I have. As I mentioned before I played it at PAX East this year and I feel like the procgen worries aren't as bad as initially stated. The levels feel procedurally generated the way that Diablo II's dungeons are, i.e. prefab rooms being stitched together (this may not be true necessarily though). There's quite a bit of verticality, a lot of rooms taking up two or more "floors", so it definetely feels like something in the vein of Quake I in terms of the playable space you're moving about. The only real downside is that sometimes it feels difficult to figure out where you're supposed to go, and while there is an automap it isn't amazingly helpful.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

My cousin was very insistent on playing Lemmings for DOS with some terrible joystick he had. I have no idea why.

I was going to joke and say "to be truer to the original Amiga version" but that can't be because the Amiga had a mouse, and in fact could support two mice which is why Lemmings had local multiplayer as well.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Reive posted:

I'm personally keeping an eye on Dusk, which looks exactly like what I want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

I was actually trying to remember the name of this game since I'd seen some gameplay footage around Halloween, thanks for linking the trailer!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lork posted:

I'm really put off by the near complete lack of sound effects from the enemies in general. In the alpha demo I figured it was a "polish" thing that they simply hadn't gotten to yet, but judging by recent trailers and gameplay videos it seems to have carried over into the final game. At least they seem to have sounds for when they fire projectiles, which puts STRAFE square above Wrack in the pantheon of lovely modern retro FPS games. And as you said, enemies instantly turning into a limp ragdoll with no death animation like it's 2005 is a really bad look.

Yeah this is the one thing about STRAFE that really bothers me. There is really no reason that enemies should be near-silent in a game trying to evoke mid/late-90s FPS conventions. It also results in me taking hits I wouldn't be taking otherwise.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I also liked the Gamecube a lot, though I can't recall playing a lot of FPS games on it. I mostly had it for stuff like Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime, Tony Hawk, MGS: Twin Snakes, etc. Of what I had played only really Metroid Prime fit in that category.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Weren't the blood effects pretty standard early-LithTech? I skimmed through a video of the airship level earlier and the blood looked just as goofy as I remember Shogo looking (absurd "spurts" of blood flying everywhere).

To be fair that ridiculous blood fit Shogo's anime style, it also kinda fit for Blood 2 though because...well the game's called "Blood"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Oh yeah Ready Player One is like if X-Entertainment, retro crush, and all those other early 2000s "I was born in the early-mid 70s and I want to talk about what be 12 in the mid 80s was like" sites were pressed into blender and poured into a book. With a random assortment of modern day nerd stuff like MMOs and widespread internet tossed in.

The main plot of it is that in the future, a treasure is hidden using 80s and nerd trivia and only the hero is cool enough to know all that. Despite being hidden inside an online MMO where you would expect all that nerd poo poo to be easily searchable online.

Also most of said 80s nerd trivia isn't even that obscure, even when he spends half a chapter rattling off all the entries from "Things_from_the_80s_that_I_remembered.txt"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

US Gamer did a review on the next book he wrote, The Next Starfighter. The excerpt they took from was enough to make me want to avoid anything by Ernest Cline:

I couldn't even tell that was Duke Nukem when I first watched it. I had to search online to find an article highlighting where he was at. He's so far off in the distance and shrouded in shadow you can only just barely make him out.

You left out the part where in "The Next Starfighter" apparently Star Citizen actually came out :haw:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Blue Shift was a fine little side story but stupidly short and I can't remember if it added a single new thing.

The only thing Blue Shift really added was a greater feeling of fragility. Since you weren't in a HEV suit you couldn't just recharge at somewhat convenient stations, instead you had to scrounge vests off of other dead Barneys. I liked it for what it was but I can understand why people aren't big fans of Blue Shift because of its length and being kind of uninspired. Personally at the time I played it I just liked the idea of playing through the disaster as someone a bit more "average"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

And also the WW2 COD games. Well, 1 and 2 at least.

Call of Duty: World at War had a Soviet campaign as well (featuring Gary Oldman)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

This is one thing I think is under appreciated in Quake. The shotgun is the pistol, and the rocket launcher is the shotgun. Use rockets and grenades freely and liberally against anyone you want so you can explode as much poo poo as possible.

They knew what they were doing. Also that *ping ping ping* sound when you bounce a grenade is so good.

The grenade sound is one of those things that will never leave my memory of mid-to-late-90s PC gaming. If grenades in video games still made that distinctive *pwong* like that, it feels like you wouldn't even need an on-HUD direction indicator of where one was when it got shot/thrown at you.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lork posted:

Yes, and I'm saying that you get your pistol from Barney, not from the marines who are never depicted as using it. Whoever made the HD pack must have had a real hard on for the US military to make an unnecessary change like that.
There is kind of an easy answer to this though, in that Black Mesa is a research facility that has contracts with the US Military and other aspects of the Government, if not actually run by the Government (the Great Seal does appear in a few places in the complex after all) and just maybe they got a bunch of surplus Berettas for their security forces as a kickback.

Doesn't explain how the gun got a 17-round magazine that didn't exist at the time the HD pack came out, however :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Gearbox lifted a lot of things for the Borderlands series...

Including the ending to their own expansion packs. In Opposing force you fight a tentacle beast trying to come out of an interdimensional portal at the end of the game. In Borderlands you fight a tentacle beast trying to come out of an interdimensional portal at the end of the game.

EDIT: not sure if I should add spoiler tags or not, figured better safe than sorry.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I'm not sure what's going wrong with the needler but it should only take 7 hits (oh, bungie) to get a big detonation, maybe they're dodging? The projectiles are extremely slow.

That said, it's a gimmick weapon anyway so not a big deal.

The Halo 1 Needler is kind of poo poo and tricky to get used to, Halo 2 and onward they increased the fire rate and I think made the needles faster as well, so it became a much more viable weapon. As said above there's a narrow distance at which the needles track efficiently and it's a matter of finding that range.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoombatINC posted:

The game that I always think about when I think of that chunky, gritty 90s 3D aesthetic is Havoc, a rare thing put out by Reality Bytes in '95. It's like Terminal Velocity, but if it was made out of filth and rust and fire.

I remember having a demo for Havoc that I would just play over and over again, it was pretty nice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Stupid question about the GZ Doom update, is updating it to the latest version as simple as taking the extracted files and dropping them into my GZdoom directory or should I do a full install? If the latter is the case, is there an easy way to back up my settings?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

So, it's still the exact same episodic release format but they're calling it Early Access instead?
ok

They should've stuck their tongue firmly in-cheek and called it "Episodic Access"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Neither have I, but also, most games don't explicitly call out the HUD as being an in-universe component of your character's equipment that your character sees as much as you do. Half-Life at minimum strongly implies it (and Black Mesa is a lot more explicit about it with the more detailed HEV boot sequence).

Off the top of my head, there's also Halo, Metroid Prime...what else?

Deus Ex, especially Human Revolution and Mankind Divided

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I don't even normally get bothered by headbob but holy crap this is bad. :barf:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

On the one hand I like the idea of a Smash-TV-esque Battle Royale game. On the other hand the market is already inundated with them, I already play and like Fortnite BR (which is what this game feels like it's trying to be moreso than PUBG), and despite the 80s aesthetic it feels kind of sterile and soulless.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Kitchener posted:

It looks dope, but I am incredibly sceptical. Haven't played SS3 yet, but half of what I've heard were negative.

SS3's problem was that it leaned too heavily into the "let's parody Call of Duty" idea and did it for far too many levels. Once you get back into the classic enemy arena formula it gets really good. Especially if you're playing with friends.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

Whenever I see Cliffy B written out for some strange reason my brain wants to read it as Boggy B

I guess the old boy couldn't win the war after all.

RIP Spadge.

Also yeah Radical Heights is a neat idea with a neat aesthetic but it was not ready for primetime, half of the buildings in it (maybe more) are barely even out of greybox or still are greyboxed. It was like you were dropped into a half-rendered world. Shame.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

Only FPSes Apogee released were Wolfenstein 3D and the two Blake Stone games, before swapping over to 3D Realms for Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem 3D onward, so yeah, you're probably thinking of Radix again.

Maybe they're thinking of Terminal Velocity, which is not an FPS but is somewhat similar to Descent in the way it looks and plays but does not contain the 6-degrees of freedom thing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that Perfect Dark required the Memory Expansion Pack for like 80% of the game to even function, and even then the N64 hardware struggled. Rare was always known for basically getting every ounce of power out of the system they were developing for, framerates be damned.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If you shoot them in the stomach they will grab it and writhe in pain for a few seconds before dying. Enemies do the same thing in Perfect Dark. It’s actually disturbing

I always thought the one where they slowly bleed out while clutching at their leg was pretty brutal for its time as well. Just lying there holding their leg then suddenly keeling over.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

Yea to RF 1, nay to RF 2 (it does have Lance Hendriksen and Jason Statham voicing NPCs).

The character they decided to have Jason Statham voice was the worst possible pick considering the voice they used in the RF2 demo I played on the PS2 was far more appropriate. Shrike is constantly described as somewhat unhinged and yet here we have Jason Staham being all collected and poo poo, as opposed to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTQvHbpzVGc&t=492s
(around 8:14 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

the name's doomguy. james doomguy.

Arkvielsk Weapons Facility in the Bruiser Brothers Dam