Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

Dammit, how do you stop AEOD from whining about saved games being unplayable due to ADS modules? I didn't have this problem until recently...

I didn't see a response to this, but just a shot in the dark: Don't use the music .pk3. I would never be able to recover saves that were made while that file was loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

tooooooo bad posted:

Pretty sure people on Doomworld literally hate fun.

Yeah, I was the one who first brought up those awards on the other 2.5D thread. The biggest irony is that they bash AEoD for being pointless and excessive in a game with a virtually nonexistent plot and emphasis on killing lots of poo poo, fast. Then he says the effort would have been better spent on crafting a medieval style map or "A lost UAC base with demons run amuck where you must find all the parts to a hidden "Big Gun" while defeating 3 skeletons?"

:thumbsup:

Basically the guy's a moron. He's saying, "This sports game is terrible because they spent all this effort when they could have made a strategy game."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

Aeons of death sucks. Hope this helps.

I enjoy it, and I know a lot of other people do, as well. Hope this helps.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Zero Star posted:

Didn't see this posted yet - John Carmack gave an interview with Gamespot and discussed his plans for Doom 4 on consoles, and how it fits in with id's plans for Rage.
I'm actually rather excited to see 30-monster firefights coming to Doom 4. Let's just hope they learned lessons from Doom 3 and build on that.

Or thirty-monster closets... :tinfoil:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

treat posted:

Like every HL mod/game, the enemies are all largely reskins, but in this it's hardly noticeable. I didn't even realize the big dinosaur was a Tentacle reskin until thinking about it just now.

:stare:

Are you sure you were playing Gunman: Chronicles? I can't think of anything in that game that could be considered a reskin.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Real room-over-room? How is that possible within the confines of the Build engine?

Or is it done through portals as a trick like in Blood?

I think it's real room over room. There were tricks with getting rooms over each other in the original Duke 3D, too, but it involved not being able to see both rooms at the same time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Has anybody else combined The Ultimate Torment and Torture with Brutal Doom? It is sublime. I wasn't sure it would work but it loaded up and it's one of the most glorious things I've played. :aaaaa:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

New version of Brutal Doom out! ZDoom and Skulltag versions.

Get yer murderface on.

I was coming here to post this, too. Brutal Doom makes the Mancubus one of the most enjoyable enemies to lure into friendly fire. The ensuing chaos of fireballs, flaming zombies, and flying body parts is magical. :munch:

I've been putting some more time into The Ultimate Torment and Torture, and I have to say that it is seriously one of the best wads I've played in a long time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

How do you use meat shields in Brutal Doom? There's no documentation on the feature and the Brutal Doom thread said it involved punching an Imp / Zombie when they were in the "dying" animation. But whenever I walk up and punch an Imp with its guts hanging out, I just punch them in the face and they die.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

THE HORSES rear end posted:

What I love about early FPS games is the frequency of the mods that come out compared to other games. It seems that game modding reached its peak with UT2k4. Since games are becoming more and more expensive and complicated, earlier games are becoming less popular and dated, and with DLC packs and the cumbersome AAA studio system, the days of modding being a garage hobby are over.

Except early FPS games, obviously. They don't have to worry about being left in the dust by advances in gaming technology. If anything it works to their advantage. They have significant cult followings that don't bail when the next shiny title comes along, and their design is simple enough to keep producing new stuff.

I'm not sure how true this is, though. Just look at games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 / New Vegas. They have huge modding communities. While some of the stuff they produce is junk, many of them rival what the developers can make. Modding is still very much a "garage" hobby. Even in games like STALKER (which came with no SDK), modders have built their own tools from scratch and revamped the X-Ray engine over and over again (for instance, STALKER - Complete and STALKER 2011)

Currently I'm going through all of the Scythe WADs with Brutal Doom v0.11, and having a complete blast. The Cyberdemons are serious bastards now, though (and Spider Masterminds seem to be easier, since it's not too hard to coax them into BFG-ing themselves to death.)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 19, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

emoticon posted:

The second that game opened with a several minute long unskippable cutscene, it killed old school shooters forever. The high speed gameplay consisted of crawling through vents and whacking headcrabs and crates with a crowbar. There were crazy weapons but for a majority of the game your staples were more "realistic" military hardware like SMGs and handguns. HL also introduced the trend of having smart tactical AI enemies modeled after marines. So yes, I blame (or credit depending on your point of view) HL for a majority of modern gaming trends. Cinematic FPSes would not exist if it wasn't for Half-Life.

Cinematic FPSes would still exist without Half-Life, they would just give credit to whatever came up instead of Half-Life. The transition from Quake-style shooters to "story" driven FPS games was inevitable. At least Half-Life had the decency to give you aliens and some interesting weapons.

Medal of Honor and Call of Duty are the games you should be shaking your fist at, though. They've paved the way for years of boilerplate shooters with the creativity of a dimestore romance novel. If you've played one, you've played all of them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

closeted republican posted:

There are mods out there that improve coop so it isn't that much of a hassle. See this page for an overview of all the neat coop mods that have been made over the years.

If you're into just killing monsters with a few buddies, there's Monster Hunt for UT1 and MonsterCoop (I think that's what its called) for Unreal 1.

And on a similar note, if you're into killing monsters with a few buddies, Tally Ho (linked in the OP) for Unreal Tournament is just about the best thing ever. It's like a stimulus overload, with all of the flashing numbers and animals running around and smiley faces popping up while sirens blare. And then you're chainsawing a Nali Cow to death while a giant golden Titan murders half of your team.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I'm looking for G/ZDoom WADs with the visual quality of "The Ultimate Torment and Torture" that can be (reasonably) paired with Brutal Doom. I know there's good stuff like Demon Eclipse and Zen Dynamics, but they don't work with Brutal Doom. And a lot of Doom repositories don't have screenshots, so it's a real crapshoot trying to find the cream of the crop. Any suggestions?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Progress reports on Brutal Doom!

New Death! Redefining the Chaingun Cha-Cha.
New Weapon! You'll be able to liberate Mancubus arms from sufficiently-exploded owners and use them as weapons!
Updated Gore! The particle effects have been toned down for greater gameplay visibility, but you'll be able to play Gib Soccer as compensation. :gibs:

This mod just keeps getting better and better. Seriously.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

...a huge clusterfuck of hell barons and a cyberdemon. Yeah, no way am I restarting every time I die to that.

In all fairness, you shouldn't be fighting those creatures. You should poke in, get the attention of the Cyberdemon so that it fires on the Barons and then clean up the leftovers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SGRaaize posted:

The best weapon is the barnacle, pushing people to you to eat them and using the weapon to fly to a place. Its also a great fun to use it on Multiplayer, there are still some servers without bots out there.

:spergin: alert
I guess its a continuation, but its not canon, or rather, its semi-canon, whatever the guys at Valve want to make Canon is canon. (Ex: The explosion at the end)

:spergin: Well, technically, it's not so much a continuation as a concurrent expansion. You can actually run into Gordon Freeman at least once in the game, before he teleports to Xen.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

trandorian posted:

It added the better models/textures for use in both it and HL itself.

It's really a shame that Half-Life Source can't benefit from those updated models.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I honestly think Brutal Doom gives certain monsters the ability to ignore walls if they're low enough. Scythe / Scythe 2 have maps where fences were clearly supposed to keep pinkies confined, but Brutal Doom allows them to run over short barriers with impunity.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brutal Doom makes 1-on-1 fights with Pain Elementals the funnest thing ever (when you've picked up a Berserk item on that map already.) It devolves into a game of catch, snatching up the PE's Lost Souls and chucking them back in his face. Go too slow and you just start throwing Lost Souls into more Lost Souls. And then when the PE starts getting into a fight with its own Lost Souls? That's how you fall into another dimension.

Also, 0.12's Mancubus' Fire Cannons are ostensibly terrible. But they are pretty good at dealing with clusters of lowly creatures like Imps and Zombies because once you set a few on fire, their flaming corpses start damaging those around them. Then some of them burst into flames. Of course it would be a lot quicker to unload a rocket or chaingun into the group, so it's sort of a moot point.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 9, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

treat posted:

Try Deus Vult with Brutal Doom. It's absolutely necessary to manipulate infighting just to survive those massive waves. Having a Mancubii or two among 150 imps is as good as any power up.

I was talking about the Brutal Doom "Flame Cannon" you can take off of Mancubi when you gib them. It's not a particularly great weapon. Getting Mancubi to in-fight with other creatures (or, more like getting other creatures to in-fight with Mancubi) is a pretty easy task and--with Brutal Doom's fire effects--a glorious thing to behold in Brutal Doom.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Zeether posted:

Okay, gently caress E4M2 in Thy Flesh Consumed. Can't beat it in Brutal Doom because I keep getting my rear end kicked by the invisible pinky demons and the lost souls.

Scythe's map, "Anger", is appropriately named when used in conjunction with Brutal Doom and Ultra-Violence. Right off the bat, you're getting flanked by Imps close enough to pounce on you, Chaingunners, Demons, Cacodemons, and several Barons of Hell. If you try to out-maneuver the aforementioned enemies, you'll undoubtedly stray into an Arch Vile's LOS and get tossed around like a ragdoll. You usually can't stay alive long enough to even trick demons into infighting.

Most of those problems exist without Brutal Doom, but I'm pretty sure the increased lethality of Shotgunners and Meleeing Imps turns what would be a relatively easy fight into a real challenge.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Encryptic posted:

Finally got around to trying out Brutal Doom. Actually really like the fact that it improves on the pistol by changing it to the assault rifle and the more aggressive enemies are nice. The over-the-top effects are nice but I'd like to tone them down a little since they do slow my reasonably decent laptop down a bit during an up-close firefight.

The aftermath of the first 5 minutes of play on MAP10 (Refueling Base) on Ultraviolence. This part is always a pain in the rear end because I always seem to end MAP09 with very little ammo and MAP10 is short on ammo at the beginning + several waves of enemies comes at you as soon as you fire a shot. Brutal Doom of course makes it even worse... :)

Version 0.12 was officially released today, even though the beta release has been out for several weeks now. The blood and carnage is toned down, but in a strange sort of concession, you can run around and kick dead bodies / limbs like soccer balls. Big, dead, soccer balls. The "Fire Cannon" that you can pull off of gibbed Mancubus corpses is pretty cool: it can set lesser-enemies on fire, but the ammo's a little difficult to come by since each cannon only nets you 8 more shots.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Minidust posted:

Is there a WAD I'm supposed to be using for Brutal Doom? I downloaded it and all I see is a .PK3 file.

Brutal Doom works with *most* WADs. Emphasis on "most" because I've come across several popular WADs (including Scythe and Scythe 2) where there seems to be a conflict between the WAD and Brutal Doom on maps where you are supposed to die in order to complete the level. If Brutal Doom is selected and loaded before the WAD, I usually die as I'm supposed to, but instead of progressing to the next level, I have to load my last save. If the WAD is selected and loaded before Brutal Doom, I transition levels as intended.

Minidust posted:

Sorry I'm a bit new at this. The only wad I have experience loading is the one for 2001 music, which I loaded by putting "-file base\D2001MUS.wad" in the Steam launch options. I tried the same thing with this file, putting "-file base\BrutalGZDoom_ V012.pk3" in the launch options, but I just get my normal GZDoom menu where you select which game to play, and when I select Doom 2 it's just loading in normal non-brutal mode.

Have you tried dragging / dropping the Brutal Doom .pk3 over the GZDoom executable?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Minidust posted:

Yeah drag n' drop works fine so I know my files are good. Just trying to get this going in Steam.
At the moment I'm just using the base Doom 2 wad, nothing fancy. I'm not sure if this is just not possible after Steam stopped using batch files for these games, but I was able to use the 2011 music wad for vanilla Doom 1 just fine via the Steam Launch Options.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to load Doom through Steam? I always found it a pain in the rear end for something that loads as quickly as Doom. I bought the game through Steam and ended up moving it to a different directory, since it doesn't need Steam to run in order to load correctly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Any other really good GZDoom-exclusive map packs out there? It seems the community has a boner for 'Vanilla' or 'Boom compatible' stuff, and avoids using the new features of ZDoom if at all possible.

I'd be interested in an answer to this, too.

Thanks for exposing me to ZPack, though. It's seriously an awesome map pack, though you aren't kidding about the difficulty. I got to the third map without dying before succumbing to some bullshit acid trap (not counting the 9 or 10 times I died in Map 1 before getting on a roll.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

There's a reason why I didn't pick Ultra-violence for my video. Like a lot of modern Doom mods, it treats the difficulty options as Easy/Normal/Hard/Very Hard/Impossible.

I'm usually pretty torn on Ultra-Violence and Hurt Me Plenty when it comes to Brutal Doom and user-made WADs. Some of them give a wonderful challenge on UV for 10 or 12 maps before suddenly hitting a brick wall of difficulty (like Scythe's map, "Anger", which feels impossible with Brutal Doom and UV.) Others are a perfect challenge on UV.

You're right, though. ZPack...ZPack is not one of those WADs.

EDIT: Dominic, do you have an issue with Brutal Doom causing enemy spawns to be inconsistent? For example, on the first ZPack map, you pick up the blue key and a bunch of Zombies and Imps teleport in behind you. With Brutal Doom, sometimes they spawn in, sometimes they don't, sometimes only a few of them do. And it's only with Brutal Doom. :iiam:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You should be good played Doom 2 on UV. Like Kazvall says, there are some difficult maps, but nothing impossible. The only problem comes from user-made Megawads where the author makes an arbitrary leap in difficulty between HMP and UV difficulties.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

closeted republican posted:

I'm playing UT 1 with bots right now, and I gotta say, the bots in Unreal Tournament 1 are still impressive. I've played CTF matches where they managed to get the maximum amount of flag caps without me doing anything besides some last minute support for the flag-runner and they're pretty good on defense.

Then you look at UT 2004's brain dead bots that need their hand held by a human for everything other than basic DM. :v:

At godlike, UT99 bots are leaps and bounds more difficult than their UT2k3 and UT2k4 counterparts. I've got both UT99 and 2004 installed on my laptop but find myself going back to the former when I want an actual challenge out of the game (although Ballistic Weapons v2.5 keeps me coming back to 2004. One of the best mods ever, really.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Following the development of the next Brutal Doom release exposes you to a lot of...interesting people and their opinions of guns and / or Doom game mechanics.

quote:

@BFG but, i like a idea for "room cleaner" gun, but, i dont like "overpowerd nob cannon" =/.

"I like the idea of the room clearing weapon, but I don't like the idea of a powerful single-shot room cleaner. Make the BFG a plasma rifle."

quote:

I do NOT want to see another game with a drat Famas in it, I am so sick of that gun.

This was followed by a bunch of people who are sick of seeing the FAMAS in games. I didn't even realize this was an actual problem. M16 / MP5 / AK-type rifles, maybe...but the FAMAS? Is it seriously the most over-used weapon in games?

quote:

The US military is still issued with m16a1's I believe.

quote:

@The M16A2: This weapon is slowely being replaced by the XM8 and SCAR series weapons. Also, pretty much every weapon you see in the CoD MW2/MW3 game American wise, has made it's way into the US Military IRL.

We just haven't gotten enough kill streaks to make our troops Cold Blooded. I'm sick of fighting wars with Vietnam-era M16A1s, call in a UAV so I can start using that gun that was never used in the US military!

quote:

The M16 is the basis of many modern assault rifles, such as the recent VOLTR TS3. It will probably remain that way for at least another 20-100 years.

"I forecast that between 10 and 300 years from now, we will be using M16s to fight our wars against the Robot nemesis." Thanks for the accurate prediction, Doctor Guns.

A guy with a Twinkie for an Avatar posted:

Actually, the rifle in his hands looks more like an M16, because the magazine goes in front of the grip and that thing on top is a carrying handle, not where the manual lever for the slide is. Shows how much you know about weapons. And if you wanna gripe about weapons not looking futuristic enough, set your sights on the shotgun. It's based off a shotgun made in the late 1800's originally, so...

"Idiots. Clearly this grip-lever for the bullet-slot is over here. Don't you know anything about guns?"

I didn't realize M16s had manual levers and slides. You sure you don't mean charging handles and bolts? Also, the Doom shotgun is not based off anything made in the 19th century. :ssh:

Oh Skulltag forums, never change... :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 12, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

jerkstoresup posted:

the plot thickens.

Clearly this cover art is flipped and the original name was supposed to be, "Mood".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A test version of Brutal Doom v0.13 has been posted for Skulltag. New changes include:

Changelog:
- New fire particles for torches, burning barrels, and other fire sources.
- Polished the sprites for zombieman and imp fatalities.
- New futuristic-looking sprites for Rifle and Shotgun (by Mike12)
- New Plasma Deaths to some monsters (by Mike12)
- Invulnerability Sphere will not loose it's effects after performing a fatality (Thanks to jpalomo for finding the solution.)
- Added new animations for players when jumping/falling from heights, or selecting the fists.
- Players will not keep looping the spawn animations when holding a barrel, or have health under 25.
- 3D models for water splashes that makes it look more realistic.
- Nerfed plasma headshots.
- Added a bit more blood to the Xdeath gibs, so it won't look too much clean like before.
- Fixed a bug with weapons reloading infinitely.
- Removed plasma ball splash damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Is there any reason to use GZdoom over skulltag, or is skulltag generally the superior choice? I ask this because I've been playing Brutal Doom on both, and they look about the same.

Not sure why this is, but the latest version of GZDoom runs like poo poo on my ATI-rig when Skulltag doesn't. Something to do with OpenGL drivers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Combine it with something like Terra Nova's sprite compositing and it would be pretty boss.

That said, I think it might actually be harder than 3d modeling. If you're generating your sprites from multiple angles and animations of a 3d model, you might as well just use the model and let the player view it from any angle with as much animation fluidity as their system can keep up with. If you're drawing it by hand, now you need to draw every angle of every animation of every monster, and by the time you're halfway done that 3d modeling program is going to start looking pretty attractive.

Didn't companies like id create their sprites based off of models that they took screenshots of from predetermined angles, and then touched up afterward? It's always amusing when you go on the Zdoom Projects / Skulltag Projects forum and find a thread with somebody trying to do "high resolution" versions of the original sprites by loving hand. There's no way to maintain any consistency at high resolutions without using a model (3D or physical) as a reference.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

THE HORSES rear end posted:

What early FPS do you think had the best sprite work?

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. Clearly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Is there any other map pack that is compatible with Brutal Doom? I have the Master Levels of Doom in my old CD from Doom Trilogy (and steam version) but after playing a bunch of them... well, i prefer something like the ZPack.

Depends on how you define "compatible" but, most map packs seem to be. Hell, Dominic White posted a video of him playing ZPack + Brutal Doom. I've used it on Scythe, Scythe 2, Scythe-X, EPIC, The Ultimate Torment and Torture...it won't apply changes or fatalities to new enemies, but big deal.

The important thing is that you load the map pack before Brutal Doom (at least from personal experience.) If you select Brutal Doom's .pk3 and then the map pack when you drag / drop them over your executable, you seem to get stuck on missions where you're supposed to die to end the level.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

e. of course the king of death animations is the original Fallout and Fallout 2 even if they don't qualify for this thread. Those critical eye-shots made the most satisfying wet thump noise ever, and the resulting animations were quite awesome.

Or that wet pop when you smashed a rat. Actually, pretty much every kill animation in FO and FO2 was magical.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gargonovitch posted:

Back to early FPS games, I've been playing the Community Chest 3 WAD, and goddamn, that first level. The rest of the WAD is awesome, I highly recommend it, but that first level is the least fun Doom map I've played in a long while. I honestly just about didn't play the rest of the WAD because of how awful that level is.

It actually gets better after that first map? Because I stopped playing it on UV / Brutal Doom after that experience. It's just such a strange, disjointed map, with enemies placed around seemingly haphazardly. Clusterfuck would be the right word, I think.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

Late Scythe is a recipe for instant death, but early Scythe is really really good with Brutal Doom. I just did a run of Scythe last week up to whatever map Terror is and it was a blast. The secret and super-secret levels are hard as gently caress in Brutal, but they manage to not feel cheap.

I almost gave up on Scythe's secret-map-within-a-secret-map on UV and Brutal Doom. The first room isn't so bad--the usual strafing around and trying to get monsters infighting as much as possible. But that second room? After you figure out a way to kill 4 Hell Knights without killing yourself to splash damage weapons? Then you've got a clusterfuck of Demons, trash-enemies spawning in, and more HKs while you wait for the elevator to come down. It took me a long time to figure out how to get through that without killing myself to Plasma Rifle splash damage.

I still submit that Scythe's "Anger" map is impossible on UV and Brutal Doom. :colbert: Or very, very close to it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

In V13 plasma splash from enemies won't hurt you, should make that sort of thing much more tolerable now.

Yeah, a pretty smart change if you ask me. Plus, apparently you can recover Revenant rocket launchers and use them (a la Mancubus' Fire Cannon) now? It's only a matter of time before we can shove our hands into an Arachnotron's brain and use him like a Plasma turret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I seem to recall a ZDoom megawad composed of Quake maps, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding it (if it even exists). I know there's a Quake 2 WIP project, but the video I saw was definitely "Quake 1 maps for Doom." Anybody know what I'm talking about, or if I'm just crazy?