Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Awesome thread, OP.

Two great single player Half-Life mods no one ever talks about : Poke 646 and its sequel, Poke 646 Vendetta, are probably the best-looking things the GoldSrc engine has ever been used for. Both are available here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

So, what are the best mods and games for co-op for 2-4 players? There aren't that many good co-op FPS's anymore :sigh:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Marathon is great for co-op.

Really? I assumed with it being such a story-heavy (and text-heavy) game that it wouldn't work to well co-op. Hm.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Marathon is great for co-op.

So, um, I tried Marathon.

a) This poo poo is terrifying. Super loving claustrophobic, weird-rear end-lookin' enemies. Not a good mix for me.
b) The addition of the Pathways Into Darkness bit into the first level of the Marathon conversion for Aleph One was pretty silly. I hope there's nothin' else added like that in the game.
c) Mouse control feels horrible, like there's some crazy acceleration going on.
d) poo poo is really glitchy. I used the teleporter in the first level (which took me by surprise and gave me another near-heart attack), but it hosed up while going to level 2, and ended up in a tiny little window on my desktop that I couldn't do any input into. Had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

Definitely interesting, but gah. Any fixes for the mouse control or glitches?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Vertigus posted:

Does Aleph One still have that wonky options menu that you can't access ingame?

Yeah. It also has this super annoying fade effect every time you go between options menus, from menus into the game, from the game back into menus...

And when I back out of the game into the menus, you have to alt-tab out and back in to get them to show up.

And, finally, I don't think this game has quick save. I guess the maps were built with checkpoints in them, but come on. Especially with as many bugs as I've seen in ~10 minutes of playing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Are there any good Mac Doom source ports? I know Skulltag has one but it doesn't work (as has come up before in the thread). I would play it on my gaming PC, but it's hooked up to my TV now, and I'd rather play Doom sitting in front of a monitor.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Someday I'll get past the slow pacing and actually finish Half-Life 2.

I love parts of it, but there are some long, boring stretches. I think it could have been edited down a lot without losing anything.

Honestly, I felt like HL2 had the perfect length. By the time I was getting bored of it, it was basically over. It's the last single-player-focused FPS worth $50, in my opinion.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I played Ultima 4 on DOSBox on Mac recently and it worked better than any other emulator for any system I've tried in the past couple years. It's a great piece of software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Kins posted:

If you're on a Mac, use Boxer. It's a modified version of DOSBox that has a nice OSX interface, including packaging games into app-like "gameboxes". It's utterly fantastic.

This is what I used! It was awesome. Shame that it is literally the only good-looking piece of emulation software ever created. I think there should be more wrappers/launchers like that.