Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

lmao this won't become true no matter how many times the incredibly specific microcosm of this thread says it

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

THE BAR posted:

Hah, how long have they been purging the negative reviews of Ion Fury on Steam?

They literally show you on the graphs (the white bars)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The first time you encounter them is pre grav gun but they're fine. I liked how they would spin around in circles as you plink them with the pistol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You can also hold them in the grav gun and use them to lawnmower other enemies. Manhacks own!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SeANMcBAY posted:

What does the thread think of Amid Evil?

That it owns (but not quite as much as dusk)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its S.C.A.R. if you search on steam. Doesn't look too hot, kind of like Quake 3 style. Must be pretty small amount of content right now since its only $5

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think graven and core decay belong in S tier but mostly agreed otherwise

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Possibly dumb question but I haven't been into WAD stuff for a long time. Unofficial WADs (like Sigil) aren't showing up on my GZDoom selection list, I have to manually drag the WAD onto the gzdoom.exe to run them. Is that normal?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I've been playing through Hell-Forged, which is the first total conversion wad I've played, and I'm pretty drat impressed with it. The new weapons and enemies are of course great, but I'm really enjoying the level design as well, which I imagine is not for everyone. I like the big sprawling levels though and I think the secrets especially are pretty well done. Any other suggestions for big TC mods like this once I'm done? I have Shrine downloaded since I saw people mentioning the sequel coming out and I also want to play the Wayfarer which I don't think is really a TC but it has like balance changes and poo poo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I really liked the arsenal in ion fury, it was the enemy variety being too low that stood out to me. Haven't watched the vid tho

Just finished the final map in Hell-Forged. Good lord did they go all out with the size, the final level was like six Doom maps put together.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I'mma play this

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Played the first episode of this. it owns

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Good video and made me want to try out Project Warlock. How is it?

I refunded it after like 15 minutes lol. Something just immediately felt off about the moving and shooting to me idk I may have been too hasty because I heard it was good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
health bars and damage numbers? what in the world...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
everything else aside that guy's hud is objectively hideous

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Has there ever been an explanation for why the BFG acts so weirdly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsCqLQJ1EOc&t

tldr: its random af

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i want to reiterate again that shrine 2 is really loving good if you're looking for a doom total conversion

I'm playing it right now and its sick. I played through Shrine 1 before getting into it and honestly its a huge improvement.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Idk but the ammo balance seems pretty good to me? You use ammo fast but there are also lots of pickups and you get a strong infinite ammo weapon halfway through the game. Had to swap weapons around a lot and focus a bit on conservation but never had to swipe at things with the claw past the first level. This is on the 3rd difficulty btw. Coming from Shrine 1 the ammo system feels much better since the universal system in that was pretty bad I thought. Will agree that hit feedback on the bosses it bad but they didn't feel like a slog really when you use the power ups. Also agree that the armor system is weird and maybe too easy

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Carpator Diei posted:

It's possible that this was already mentioned in this thread at some point and I've just overlooked it, but I recently discovered MtPain27's Doom WAD reviews and they're really interesting; he goes through all maps of a given WAD and manages to comment on a lot of level design details while keeping things rather succinct (none of the videos is longer than half an hour), and he seems to know quite a bit about the Doom mapping community and its history.

Thanks, this guy seems cool. I recently finished Eviternity and it was fun watching his review and having my memory refreshed on some of the earlier levels

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a way to turn off vertical aim in Blood: FS?

No, but you might be able to turn the Y axis sensitivity all the way down. Not sure if the auto aim is made to compensate for no vertical aiming like doom though. I've never played a build engine game without full aiming, though I remember that being a thing for duke at least

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

He mentions that the release is imminent , but is that just the map standalone or AD 1.8? Also that led me to check the AD guy's twitter and drat I want this QSS hud

https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/1305894896449003522

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I have very fond memories of Heretic but yeah I was of course playing on the easy settings as a kid. The warfarer's tomb mod seems like a good way to revisit it since it has a pretty light touch but generally buffs up the weapons a bit and most importantly replaces the firemace completely with an actually good weapon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The chaos randomizer in AD 1.8 is pretty wild. I don't know if the monster spawns are tiered or what but I got a Spawn (the enemy) in like the second room of e1m1 so that was great. I appreciate that you can also just play the original campaign normally with AD rules too. I'm sure you could do that before by just loading the maps but its nice that they have a place in the hub now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i love quake but i've never tried this arcane dimensions thing. what's the absolute most basic, easiest way to mount it up and get it running?

i'm legit really bad at computer most of the time so keep that in mind.

I did this last month so it's fresh in my mind. I used this guide for installing Quakespasm (actually using Quakespasm spiked but it's the same process): https://godmodeuser.com/p/8

Then download Arcane Dimensions and follow the guide in their readme. It's very simple, basically just put the AD folder in the same place the id1 folder is. Then make a shortcut of the Quakespasm .exe, go properties and put -game ad (or whatever you Arcane Dimensions folder is called) at the end of the target location. That'll make it run AD automatically when you use that shortcut. Then follow this guide to make Quake look like Quake: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1427945447

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 16, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Ya know I went with QSS because I wanted the higher fps but I never actually got it to work. Whenever I set the fps cap above 60 it just reverts it back when I exit the menu and I never bothered to investigate fixing it

Johnny Joestar posted:

thanks for the information! i'm surprised i've yet to really check into it, but i feel like i really need to.

It's insanely good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

meta˛ posted:

Fellow new arcane dimensions player here!

What are everyone’s favorite must play maps? I have gotten through two of them and have been really enjoying it.

Idk if this is a hot take because its technically a swamp level but foggy bogbottom is definitely one of my favorites. Its really dense and interconnected and has a ton of secrets with some fun quad rampage opportunities. Set aside like an hour+ because its a big boy

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I find it hard to go back to hitscan shotguns after playing a bunch of AD with its projectile shotties. Gameplay implications aside they just feel more meaty that way.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
ESDF seems more logical to me from the "amount of buttons that are easy to press" perspective but I'm way too lazy to bother changing the keybinds for every game

SeANMcBAY posted:

What was the first game to popularize WASD?

Quake 2 maybe?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Black Mesa is sick, pretty much on the level of any professional remaster. I'd say overall gameplay was improved although that may be contentious but the spots that were bad in the original are at least decent in BM. That said I still think the original is totally playable.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Tbh I don't understand any of the civvie lore or characters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

is there a list anywhere of the recommended order of maps to go to in arcane dimensions for quake? the hub thing is neat, but since i'm joining in after more than a few updates it's kind of difficult to 100% know what i should be generally aiming for.

I don't think so, I was looking for one myself not too long ago and couldn't find it. Kind of annoying since the maps vary so much in difficulty and length, though it doesn't really matter since there is no progression between maps besides the runes which you can find the locations of in the readme. Tbh I'm not sure what the logic is for how the maps are laid out in the hub. Like why do the remix maps get top billing in the first hub while other great original maps are shunted to the second one? Not that the remix maps are bad just that they're kind of a little diversion compared to some of the sprawling mega-maps. I should have been taking notes during my last playthrough because I probably could have come up with a halfway decent list.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Guillermus posted:

I admire people that like to play with pistol starts. It's something that I can't do at all, and I can subject myself to horrible grinds in videogames, but I'll always hate when I lose my weapons and items.

I almost always play continuous but lately I've been on a wad binge and have warmed up to pistol starting. Mainly because many of the most highly recommended wads feel so tightly designed around it that it feels like the "right" way to play and coming into a level with all the weapons feels more like cheating.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I just impulse bought Painkiller because its $2 on gog. I've never played a Serious Sam-like so I'm not sure I'll love it but it seems to be fairly highly regarded and I like the style more than Sam's.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

laserghost posted:

Read requiterements for cards before every level and try to get them, some of them are really easy and will give you cards that make the game faster, like increased ammo count on level starts, lower soul count for the demon mode.

Painkiller is a circle-strafing bonanza, but with Quake-ish physics, esp. with jumps. The first few levels are meh but it gets more interesting the more you play it.

I've played the first episode and yeah it's pretty decent. I like the bunny hopping and the goofy 00's era ragdolls. Also am I missing something or can you not change difficulty once you've started a game? I picked the hardest one but I guess that means souls don't drop so now I feel like I'm missing out on a whole mechanic.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hexen had like three enemy types, one of which is the goddamn shield centaur and I would almost rather take iron liches over those fucks.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Kind of hard to compare it to Doom's difficulty but Pink on the Inside is fairly easy. Lightly Broiled is closer to HMP I guess and I'd recommend it if you don't want to mess with the custom difficulty (which you probably should)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chaosapiant posted:

What is “Boom?” Is that another source port for Doom?

Yes, but its also used to denote wads that require a port that has limit removing features which Boom pioneered. "Boom-compatible" maps don't need to be run on Boom specifically since most ports have integrated all its features.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Kins posted:

If you're looking for a distraction from today (and honestly, you should be) Jimmy's Faithless Trilogy is out in Beta, bringing with it three new Heretic episodes/hubs for a total of 28 new maps, replete with new monsters and weapons.

I have actually really been looking forward to this. I saw Bridgeburner was streaming some play testing of it and it looked great. If anyone cares Jimmy was on the stream and said that the Wayfarer Tomb mod should work okay although there might be weirdness since he has also adjusted some enemy/weapon values.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Serephina posted:

Sorry don't know how to quote that without making it huge

Like that's beautiful, objectively so, but... isn't it kinda wasted on Doom? Dealing with imps and cacos in such a room is such wasted potential.

Well its a full total conversion so they're planning on a completely new roster of enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like Blood has the most interesting arsenal too. Duke sticks pretty closely to the Doom formula, with a couple of extra gimmick guns thrown in. Blood you can kind of draw parallels but I think it's telling that one of your main weapons is the dynamite rather than something that just shoots in a straight line. Blood's weapons all have weird interesting properties to them, the only really "straightforward" weapon is the tommy gun.

Agreed, the emphasis on fire and explosions is very nice. Tbh I could do without the proximity and remote dynamite though. I don't really use them much differently from normal dynamite and they clog up the weapon selection