Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't imagine the remasters got a bunch of people to run out and buy Doom/Quake if they didn't already own them, and if they did the remaster is free.

:wrong: all my console friends bought it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Quake soubndtrack for the base game is totally broken on switch, can't hear poo poo once it goes into the game

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

that's normal. everything but the first minute or so of the main menu music is just clanks and low hums

i must be getting it confused with Quake 2 in my mind then!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

No, it isn't that. The music is genuinely quieter than it should be.

yeah from what i've seen online it's definitely broken on switch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lucky you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah there's some good stuff there, they're all tiny download sizes as well so worth getting them and trying for a few mins

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

screenshots from UT3 were the very last time i couldn't believe how good a game looked, i remember PCZone had a few renders of the weapons and characters on their cover.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quake 64 feels like playing a beta build , it's so weird

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

getting rid of the quake live mac client was some heinous poo poo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

So in Doom 64 how do I turn off the CRT filter if such an effect exists because sweet god my eyes

I don’t remember doom 64 having any CRT filter! I played on switch though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I know but that person said doom 64 ;)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

on switch i think it's just a toggle

e: it is not

played a few levels of DOOM64 again just now, soooo good

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 2, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

big knight guys seem to be weak to nails

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

all the ID ports on switch are great. the Doom1/2 ones have sooo much stuff in them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg yes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm buying a steam deck just so i can play all these old FPS games in bed :cheers:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Dopefish removed from Quake 64, the well of wishes has no wishes!!!

whaaaat

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh wait so it was never there , not that it was removed in the latest patch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

is it easy enough to set up GZDoom with a controller? Basically I want to stick an old laptop behind my tv and use it to play old shooters to tide me over until the steam decks come out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

amazing, thanks all :worship:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think I’ll have to go wired, there’s bizarre input lag using an Xbox controller over Bluetooth on my older MacBookPro running Windows. It’s fine for a few seconds and then it just stops working.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

Have you updated the firmware on the controller? You need the Xbox Accessories app from the MS store

BT is iffy on the Xbox pads in my experience (the official dongle is much better) but FW updates can help

Yeah no luck unfortunately! I think I have a long microUSB wire around somewhere though!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

x-postin from the WAD thread,

Does anyone happen to have a pre-built version of ZDL for Mac? There's no DMG on any of the repos I could find, only source code.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doom 3 is a bad one to replay, it takes sooooo long to get going

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone still having issues with the DOOM 1/2 ports on switch where they just freeze after coming out of sleep mode? I thought that was patched out :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arivia posted:

i sincerely hope this is a reference or something

otherwise you're screaming about people standing up for abortion rights

literally the first reply to the tweet, cmon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sure like up until MW2019 they were still using a modified quake engine, i think BLOPS:CW still used it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's morse code for "no hl3"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7WqSUP5ng&t=982s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

also, regardless of what else you think about them, the cod games are technically excellent. nearly always aiming for 60fps on ps360 gen hardware was commendable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

finished the first 2 episodes of DOOM on switch last night, drat it's still good, i never played it through like this before. what a great game :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, i loved EF2 back in the day. I didn't even like star trek but i remember playing it at a friend's house and thinking all the interactivity was really cool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

COD1 was a refinement of MOHAA, it was great

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i used to read the pc mags back in the day and i don't remember anyone mentioning RTCW when talking about COD, just MOHAA and the fact that a lot of the original MOHAA devs were now with IW

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's really dumb for the new Battlefield they went with just slightly in the future instead of doing a sequel to the GOAT Battlefield.

they already did 1943 :confused:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is what happened to me lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

Was elite force 2 any good? I only ever played the first one

i LOVED it back in the day, i'd say it's worth 10 to check it out. it has cool bits between missions where you can wander around and mess with stuff

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for single player you should definitely play titanfall2, for mp the servers are currently hosed got both of them so I’d avoid

Also since we’re in the retro FPS thread, it’s amazing what respawn did with the source engine for Titanfall 2, it ran amazingly well and it’s a shame not many devs ever used it. I think it’s the only game on PS4 that used source?
Maybe apex does, not sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

Apex runs on the same Source fork as Titanfall

It's modified beyond recognition though, OG Source would catch fire if you tried to run Apex sized maps

I always find it weird going back to source games and the way they handle loading. Like especially hl2 where it’s designed to be a seamless experience but there’s still random load areas in hallways.