Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Raneman posted:

Anyone ever played Nitemare 3D? I had never heard of it until I saw it up on some classic DOS emulator.
I remember playing the shareware release far too much - weirdly enough it's a remake of a point-and-click adventure game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

And, most unfortunately, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

And Star Wars Kinect. Ever since they used The Stranger in their early engine demos at the start of this generation, I've been hoping they are beavering away in secret on Nocturne 2 finally whilst doing licensed trash to pay the bills.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

I think it's just the slowness that's the off-putting part. That and real tricky intangibles like "feel".
Is it just me or did the demo look like it was being controlled with a gamepad? The rise of games designed for gamepads, which actually lock movement speed down so that m+k players don't have an advantage, was a horrible thing.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Convex posted:

Not sure how that one got into magazines. :catdrugs: may have been involved.
I remember there being a minor scandal about this ad - weird how omnipresent in the media Jo Guest seemed to be for most of the 90s though.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Install Windows posted:

I seem to remember that the system only got something similar once Doom itself had the source code release and someone straight up ported it to the highest end Amiga systems.
Alien Breed 3D, which I'm pretty sure is the source of the screenshot in this thread, came out well before the Doom source was opened up, and I remember my Amiga owning friends at the time bragging about how much better than Doom it was (it's not, it's really not)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Keiya posted:

Regarding filters, I think there's a Doom core for Retroarch and I know there's CRT filters for it. I'd try to kludge it together, but I'm on a borrowed machine at the moment...
"CRT filters" for a PC game make no sense - as a rule they're simulating how crap the tubes used in TVs were, especially with an NTSC signal, PC monitors were built with better quality tubes (they cost more than the equivalent sized TV) AND had a better quality input signal - people were building "TV filters" for emulators when most PC monitors were still CRT!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Here's a much earlier CGA game with far more impressive sound:
Speaking as someone whose first soundcard was a SoundBlaster, there was a massive drop-off in speaker audio quality when AdLib cards became major - you can hear it with Bard's Tale 3 vs Bard's Tale 1 & 2.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The video game in Grandma's Boy was a real game though (which was cancelled before release)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

superh posted:

I know I've seen that somewhere else before, too - maybe a magazine at the time or a strategy guide or something? It's super familiar.

I'm pretty sure that PC Format or PC Gamer (UK) had it as a cover - I remember picking up the issue when I was on holiday but I'm afraid my old magazines are all long gone.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

(I think my ideal Descent game would be the levels and enemies from Descent 1, with the Descent 2 weapons added.)

Surely the ideal Descent game was Descent To Undermountain? (To my shame this is the only "Descent" game I actually bought! Still have the manual and CD somewhere but the box is long gone)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25874440
Video of the currently in-progress Japanese Community Project Doom megawad.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

david_a posted:

EDIT: Turns out I just needed to read the next issue I had. This was a Bullfrog game (of course) that was cancelled in 1997(!) so I guess it wasn't working very well.

A guy I was with school at did his work experience (2 weeks) at Bullfrog, and this was the upcoming game he was most excited about, so it's a real shame it was cancelled.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

david_a posted:

That sounds cool! Did he describe what the game was like at all?

If he did, I've long since forgotten, sorry.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Convex posted:

I think both companies are run part-time from someone's basement.

Herve Caen is still in charge of Interplay, playing at being a real businessman if Wikipedia is to be believed. Then again Wikipedia says that the original Battle Chess was "co-developed" by Blizzard even though it came out 3 years before the company was founded, so who knows.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I still have my copy of Descent to Undermountain - part of my sucessful run of buying amazing RPGs that included Ultima 9 (which I traded in for something can't remember what) and Pools of Radience Ruins of Myth Drannor which I also have the CDs for somewhere.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Also the perspective of the gun sprites looks wrong. That pistol is not pointing at the center of the screen, but off to the right.

I wonder if that's tied to the heavy amount of aim assist that's being used in the videos (I assume you can turn it on and off but I don't know why you'd turn it on to start with)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

"I have a friend (no really) who owns a Macintosh,"

:allears:

Nobody saw that particular trend coming.

UK magazine - Macs, at the time, cost well over twice the price in the UK they did in the USA. It's not quite so bad now but it's still cheaper to fly to New York to buy one there. Combined with the fact that historically Acorn had the education market, and Mac ownership is considerably lower in the UK than US (and it's not that high in the US, especially for people who are into games)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

Play Giants and MDK on easy. They came from that late 90s PC game Shiny era where they expected the player to abuse quick saves.

MDK didn't ship with quicksaves - those weren't added til the later US release and I completed the game before the patch was available for EU copies.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

In the way that lots of Japanese videogames are based on Manga art, it seems lots of US games were based on US comic art.

UFO/X-Com was a British game though, and American comics aren't really much of a thing in the UK (the point at which they were at peak circulation they were brought over as ballast in ships, not as cargo)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is that a joke? :psyduck: I don't see how they'd survive.

I can only assume that most of them didn't - plenty of British people who were reading US comics at the time have complained it was impossible to get 2 consecutive issues of any title.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it was made by one guy stop being a loving pedant

One guy got all the money but there was more or less no point where Minecraft was only made by one guy - that's why everyone who knows Notch hates him.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Well, I can't imagine Oni helped much either in the aftermath of that- they spun off a whole other studio to make it and it did pretty poorly if I remember rightly.

I'm pretty sure that MS had bought them before Oni actually came out - there was a fuss about how MS were releasing a game on PS2 for contractual reasons.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Q3 and UT99 both predated consoles that were capable of running FPSes comparable to contemporary PC games, there are probably people who played those first and then switched to console later for whatever reason.

Q3 had a pretty credible Dreamcast port though?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like there's a certain irony to demo'ing a game on the premise of being a hardcore/classic 90's FPS, and pretty obviously using a gamepad while recording the footage.

Shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D used to advertise the Gravis Gamepad when you quit - and if you bought a Gravis Gamepad it came with the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D. "90s FPS" is such a loving dumb term to use given the changes during the decade

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

site posted:

i think there might be a lesson somewhere in john romero and cliffyb being the frontmen of game companies focused on engines, leaving to found new studios based on name recognition and failing spectacularly

It was Jazz Jackrabbit that made Cliffyb and I don't think you'd call Epic Megagames an engine focussed company even with ZZT.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

This take is just unreal.

You're either young or you just didn't play PC games in the early-mid 90s. You may as well suggest that no one had heard of iD until Quake came out.

Check out young Clifford's first game for Epic (only ever played the shareware chapter of this though I bought Jazz Jackrabbit, his next Epic project, day 1.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctuV4ib0tg

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Billy Blaze's mother and aunt, we're one step closer to a new Commander Keen - even if in the old games it was his dad that was BJ Blazcowski's kid.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know why I did this, but it wasn't anywhere else online, so if you ever wondered how terrible it might be, now you can see for yourself.

I've played Descent to Undermountain through to completion at least twice and have never seen that before. Ugh, now I sort of want to play it again even with how terrible it is.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GuyonthecoucH posted:

Voodoo 2 made quake2 and interstate '76 run butter smooth on the family compaq presario. Halflife was a slideshow and I still beat it despite the chugging frame rate. When I played it again on a voodoo3 powered amd k7(maybe?) pc it blew my mind at how fluid it was

Voodooo 5 surely? The Voodoo 3 cards were a Voodoo 2 with a 2D graphics chip added so you didn't need to faff around with passthrough cables and take up two sockets.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There was some FPS that was all about manipulating terrain in what I believe was a team deathmatch.

I want to say it was late xbox or 360 era, and I think it did get released, but I heard of it all of one time and never again. Maybe it got cancelled.

Like you could shoot the ground to create craters or make it grow into hills.

Fracture - one of the last games that Lucasarts published before it just became a licensing team.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
20 years ago a game came out that changed the way we think about first person shooters. I wonder if we'll ever get a 3rd game in the series? Oh well, at least we got an anime movie out of it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

You cheeky bugger.

I can't be the only one who bought it day 1 right? Really shows off how many of the people in the thread are latecomers to the genre though.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

That second screenshot is - IMO - typical of the people that fetishise CRT filters - they weren't around at the time and so don't realise that computer games, in particular, didn't look like that.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Fallom posted:

That’s cool but lol that the shirt in the $166 collectors edition only comes in XL

He's channelling the iD anthology box and that had the same thing with its' shirt.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

The original Dual Shock controller beat the Dreamcast to market by a year. Maybe Sega figured it was too late to go back and add a second one and make everyone rejigger their launch titles to support it.

The Dreamcast controller is pretty obviously just a Saturn 3D controller with 2 buttons removed so they had space for the VMU.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

[*]Get your fix of Doom-Cute, whatever that is, and visit a GZDoom Recreation of the National Videogame Museum in Frisco!

Given the replica of Randy Pitchford's office they have there it feels like this should be in another engine, Build maybe?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

In the article it says one of the reasons for the high cost of production was that they switched from UE3 to UE4 midway through development, so yeah, pretty much.

If the lawsuit is correct, Randy's own personal bonus came out of the production costs, not the bonus pool it was supposed to come out of, I'm sure there are some other shady things he's done that aren't public knowledge that are also upsetting employees.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The combat in the Uncharted games is loving terrible though? I mean perhaps that's an intentional thing they did, but it doesn't stop the combat from being loving dire.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

See: Thrillkill, the only example of a "it was totally finished and ready to launch but got canceled" thats actually true.

There's at least a few others out there - the B5 game that was cancelled after it went gold, and had a couple of hours of FMV with the show's cast written by JMS none of which has leaked for instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

Those adventure games also had like maybe 3 sprites on screen at a time and didn't need to run at 60fps. Consoles always had the edge over PCs until dedicated GPUs. Virgin published Street Fighter Alpha 2 on Windows in 1998 and the drat thing runs like a slideshow, it's absolutely worse than even the PS1 versions of Street Fighter.

That's because it was a poo poo port of the PSX version. There were plenty of arcade ports around that time that had their best version on PC because even though PCs didn't have the special graphics processing chips that consoles did, they had enough raw power to cope. This reads like some weird counterfactual idea by someone who wasn't around at the time but is picking cases to try and make a weird dogmatic point about how great consoles are/were. "Dedicated [3D] GPUs" were a thing by 1998, and "2D accelerator" (rather than just pure VGA) boards had been a thing since the early 90s, admittedly designed to accelerate windows drawing functions rather than games.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 4, 2020