Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hello thread that I didn't know existed until just now, to celebrate the impending release/commercial success/potential failure of Do4m, I am playing through all the Doom games for the first time ever. I have realized that not doing so was a huge mistake on my part and I shouldn't have waited 20 years to play them. Today I beat Doom and Doom 2, tried out Doom 3 and it wasn't that great, so I was referred to this thread by the general thread up top to ask for everyone's favorite OG Doom/2 .wads. Anyone got any favorites besides the ones in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

♪ One of these things is not like the others... ♫

If anyone actually buys one of these and gets The Keeper (the safe head guy from The Evil Within), I will buy it off of you for the price you paid for it. I want the little guy but they're blind boxes so the chance of getting one is pretty low and I don't wanna unbox 50 Dovahkins to get it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Personally I would recommend EPIC 2, Going Down, and Unholy Realms. There are a bunch more because the OP can only contain so much, but those are three that I am quite confident to recommend (that aren't in the OP).

Jordan7hm posted:

Going Down, BTSX, and the skillsaw wads (Valiant in particular) are all pretty great.

There is an insane amount of high quality content out there for Doom, so recommendations actually become more about what type of map you want to play. Do you like the long meandering affairs, short bite sized maps, tightly balanced (hard) combat, slaughtering hundreds of monsters, figuring out puzzles, or... ?

I'll check them out, thanks. I'm building up a giant-rear end folder of .wads and then I'm gonna go down the list and play them all :getin:

Personally I am a fan of straightforward "shoot the cyberdemon until it dies" type levels. Ones that have you running around for 20 minutes staring at the automap and hunting for keycards make my brain sad.

edit: Oh, I'm also a fan of ones that just go completely nuts and do some weird out-there poo poo with the Doom engine, those are fun to experience too.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

Here's some links that'll give you more than enough quality WADs and mods to play through for as long as your attention span holds up.

The Top 100 WADs of All Time: 1994-2003
The Annual Cacowards: 2004-2015 and Ongoing

Thanks! That's a lot of wads to swallow at once!

Shadow Hog posted:

Then buddy, let me tell you about this little mod called Reelism...

I played Reelism and it's good fun, if a little chaotic and hard to follow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dog's from FO4, it's Dogmeat wearing his dog accessories.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Top row is Doomguy, Blazko, a Revenant
Middle row is The Keeper, a dovahkiin, Alduin, Commander Keen, Dogmeat, uh... an elder scrolls character of some kind, and John Fallout (4)
Lower row is another Dovahkiin (John Skyrim), a BOS soldier from the bad Fallout games, New Corvo from Dishonored 2, Garrett: Incredibly Not Subtle Thief 4 Armor Edition, and Corvo Original Flavor

edit: As a die-hard fan of The Evil Within I'm glad Bethsoft considers it one of their best but they have a thousand figures of The Keeper and none of the main characters which makes me sad

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Bethesda weren't responsible for unleashing Thi4f on the world, so that's actually Emily Kaldwin, some kind of TES character I guess, and Corvo.

Nope it's Garrett, here's the outfit they modeled the figure after:

Although I have no idea where this concept came from because it doesn't even appear in the game.

edit: Oh wait it's from elder scrolls online, it came up as a thi4f thing when I searched for thi4f so I assumed that's where it was from. yeah that would make more sense and is also disappointing. so much elder scrolls representation

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well that's why I was confused, because it looks like Garrett's poo poo except kitted out for battling giant spiders or medieval ghosts which to be fair he does have experience with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dishonored 2: THIEF5

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm going to do a let's play of thief 4, it will be 1 video and it will be a webcam stream of me sobbing into a pillow

edit: I just finished Going Down, it was a real trip and also hard as poo poo which I think might have been the point maybe? My health was rocketing up and down like a rollercoaster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Will do. I like maps that have a constraint on their design like that, it encourages creativity with what you have to work with I think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahh, I see they took the Shadow Warrior remake route with it. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The script in Ahoy videos has always been romanticized purple prose, it makes it sound more sophisticated and intelligent I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fixed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Clicking and dragging the scroll bar has always worked for me, whereas the arrow keys and scroll wheel do nothing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha sometime between now and yesterday they disabled ratings and comments on that video

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a couple more episodes of that series, I haven't watched them but I wonder if they got somebody else to play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GlitchThief posted:

"Too Young to Die." What the gently caress? Is this how speedruns are normally done?

There are usually different tiers for each difficulty for most games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

catlord posted:

Also it as apparently supposed to be a third Snake Plissken movie, Escape from Mars, but that changed after Escape from LA didn't do terribly well.

What the gently caress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Casimir Radon posted:

They should seriously sell the little Doomguy toys.

If only.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cat Mattress posted:

I wouldn't see that as a real obstacle, unless you want your demake to run in vanilla/Boom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZwm9wA0dc

I think it's more a problem of the fact that Doom 4 has so many different floors and pathways that cross over one another vertically in any given level, and the classic Doom engine can't really do that even with modding.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Most wad-makers are happy if as many people as possible play their projects, so there's no real reason to be exclusive.

There's Ultimate Doom Open World, which you can download here. It does make some changes to the level layouts though.

Woah. Definitely going to have to download this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I downloaded Doom Builder. God help me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Using the Doom Builder tutorial, I have learned how to use (most of) the tools and made my first playable Doom level. It has a chainsaw and a demon to kill in it and everything! This is either the start of something wonderful or horrible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:siren: I now know how to create a door and how to make keycards. Watch the gently caress out, Id, I'm coming for your jobs. :siren:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Linguica posted:

Save yourself some trouble and use GZDoom Builder, it is basically Doom Builder 3 but the author refuses to change the name for some baffling reason.

I have now done this and the interface is certainly snazzier.

widespread posted:

Good. Now make it so when you kill the Cyberdemon, another Cyberdemon enters.

I am still learning how to do logic stuff but I will make sure that every campaign I make has a 2-stage cyberdemon final boss complete with wrestling match bells.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Somehow I have had the most fun so far making a room that is at the moment totally empty, but with a big light in the middle the casts shadows I plopped down myself. This is just fun and zen to gently caress around with in general, maybe I will eventually get around to putting down imps to fight or something. It really is like I have my own Doom Engine Zen Garden playset or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The SVN version is already compiled so there's no installer necessary, you just run the exe after extracting it and it works. Or at least, that's what happened for me.

JerryLee posted:

For someone who just downloaded DB a little while ago, you already seem to have a better grasp on aesthetics than half the DUMP 2 entrants. :v:

Who knew my amateur architecture college course would come in handy!

edit: Doom Builder reminds me of Google Sketchup, but with dismemberment and demons and palsma plasma guns.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 20, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpLr2V9DOHE

I made 1 sort of finished room and then 10 completely unfinished ones. I also made a secret. Things are also broken due to ticking incorrect boxes.

I'm beginning to feel like a map god, map god

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So for people who make Doom levels itt, what is your workflow like? Initially I wanted to finish it one room at a time, but then I changed my mind and decided to lay out the floor plan of the whole level first completely default and then work on putting stuff in it.

I was thinking Lay out the whole level -> Do up the textures and poo poo -> Lighting -> Put enemies in -> Play through the level a couple times to get a good feel for where to put items -> Do that -> Jerk off while thinking about my masterpiece level -> Upload to Doom level sharing websites and receive fame and success

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 21, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty much this, but I would say start playtesting the level before you even worry about textures or lighting. Just brush out all the spaces and get the general architecture and layout first, then put in some fine details in the room structure next once everything's laid out, then put in some monsters, then iterate on playing through and changing monsters/level layout until it feels good, then go through and do the polish pass, which is lighting, proper textures, etc.

I put down a few textures early on to help me remember what the plan is for a room, but you want to get to playing and testing as soon as possible before you worry about too much getting textures aligned and stuff.

When Valve make maps (sometimes), they lay down everything with generic orange textures and test the space, then they worry about getting the details right after it feels good.

If you listen to Romero, the man himself, he said he would playtest constantly, so he wouldn't even finish the level first. Brush out a few rooms, play through those rooms, then go back and add more on from there. The more you iterate, the better.

I'll keep all this in mind, thanks. The good thing about playtesting is that any Doom level takes maybe 5-ish minutes to beat give or take a few, so it's not all that time consuming compared to what most blockbuster stuff would be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Made my first monster closet. It's me. I've gone nuclear.

edit: But to be fair to myself, it's a chainsaw and the monster trap is full of a gaggle of pinkies. So it's less like a trap and more like a fun opportunity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also keep in mind that if you make an elevated floor and put a door on one of the walls, make sure to set the ceiling height to whatever the floor's height is instead of 0 because then you end up with the world's longest door and it looks very silly. (speaking from personal experience)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

It's worth noting that the top bar in GZDoom Builder has some very useful options that help save time.

:eyepop: I really need to explore this UI some more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now that I know it exists, that button is also helpful for creating door triggers like switches (or monster closets :getin:) because all you have to do after it makes the door is remove the action flags, then tie the logic to the sector it created.

My first level is almost finished being laid out! I am excited to start styling and prettying it up. :toot:

I did a cool thing with a floor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of doors, I've got a weird issue with one that I can't figure out. When the door is used or otherwise activated, it doesn't actually go upward, it goes down like half a step's length and then just stays there. I've tried deleting and remaking the sector but the same thing happens. What could I have done to gently caress that up?? :confused:

edit: Figured it out, I think?

I had 2 sectors in those alcoves north and south of the door to create walls on all sides instead of just making vertexes on the lines that already existed, which for some reason made the door inoperable I guess?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 21, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cat Mattress posted:

It's very simple: you have another sector that neighbors the door that has its ceiling at floor level (or lower).

See, when a door opens up, it looks for the lowest neighboring ceiling, subtract some value (4 IIRC) from that, and moves up to there. So let's say you have two doors that touch each other: door 1 has floor 0, ceiling 0; door 2 has floor 0, ceiling 0, the surrounding rooms may have floor 0, ceiling 256 for all we care it doesn't matter. You open door 1, it looks for lowest neighboring ceiling, since door 2 is a neighboring sector the lowest neighboring ceiling is at 0, so door 1 will then proceed to raise up to 0 - 4: it moves up to a lower height. When a sector moves up to a lower height, or down to a higher height, the movement is instantaneous.

Ohh, okay, that makes sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Games nowadays don't make use of mirrors with full reflections because it basically requires rendering the entire scene another time for each mirror the player can currently see. A lot of games occlude stuff that's behind the player because it's not in view so it doesn't have to be rendered, but if there's a mirror in a room obviously you're gonna be able to see what's behind you and so it takes up a loooot more resources. The old method of just duplicating the room doesn't really work either because they'd have to rig up an entire second player model to correspond to the first one's movements which is probably pretty difficult given the complexity of character animations and such. For a recent example, there are only two fully working mirrors in Uncharted 4, and the reason it doesn't grind the game to a halt is because it's in a bathroom that's fairly small, out of view of any of the other rooms.

IIRC the Shadow Warrior remake does fully reflective mirrors, but that game was coded by wizards from the elemental plane of computers so that's not so surprising.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaUm163IWsM

My first ever Doom level is playable! :toot:

Things still to do:
- Put stuff in those empty rooms
- Mass prettyfication of basically everything
- Add pickups/barrels
- Tweak that last encounter because the enemy placement causes them to kinda bum-rush you which is not so fair when you only have the SG
- Tweak for harder difficulties
- Music and soundscape stuff

I am also considering extending the player start hallway a bit backward, with some enemies, so that you don't get the SG literally immediately.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you for the kind words, fellow Doom mappers. Question about Doom Builder (GZDoom Builder specifically): Why can't I click and drag Things? In order to move a Thing I have to cut and paste it manually, but in the tutorials I've seen people have clicked and dragged them like they're any other part of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LogicalFallacy posted:

Right click and drag. (Silly non-standard controls!)

Thanks, I am a dumbass :downs: