Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Remember all these kids who made Doom maps of their school? Now they've grown up, got jobs in the video game industry, and make Gears of Crysis: Warfare Evolved maps of their office...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A solution could be to have a chaotic map, scripted so that it reshapes itself more or less randomly. Have some corridors close while other opens, put a cage around some item spawn point but free access to another, throw a bridge here, put a wall there, flood some area, shuffle teleport destinations, etc. Let this kind of stuff happen continuously so the map changes every few seconds and players are forced to rediscover it in its current configuration.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Komojo posted:

There are at least 3 ways to make fake 3D rooms in Doom.

A primitive example of the first method you describe is found in Doom II's "Industrial Zone" level. There are sectors that behave both as lifts (the floor lowers) and as doors (the ceiling raises). So if you approach it from a given direction, the floor lowers and opens a passage at your level, then you climb up stairs and trigger the ceiling raising like a door.

The problem is that they move back to their original position after a short while, so the trick is too obvious.

The Doom wiki references various methods; including portals which haven't been mentioned yet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Red_Mage posted:

The thing that drives me nuts about like, quake portal mods, or doom portal mods, is they always shoot a blank textured sphere. That ridiculous Knee Deep in the Dead extended edition has a bit in e1m1 where you see action from another room playing out a camera screen. If they can actually do that in real time, couldn't they use that same method to texture the portals you shoot?

Not without a lot more coding to support it as an engine feature. The camera textures in ZDoom are basically the same thing as the camera textures in Duke Nukem 3D in their functionality; but Portal could never have been developed in the Build engine.

Besides, it wouldn't even look good, because the camera viewpoint doesn't change with player movement. It's like a TV screen: if you move to the side, you see the same image flattened and skewed, not things that are off to the side of the filmed set. If the viewpoint changed as appropriate, there would be plenty of "hall of mirror" glitches as the dynamic camera moves into a wall.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Keep in mind Jace used ZDaemon as the example of what is super-cool in Doom ports. So, paranoia about cheaters and hackers ruining the multiplayer scene is an integral part of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

http://www.the-postmortem.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1890

quote:

<jacehall> ok. Are you all familiar with ZDAEMON?
<jacehall> well zdaemon is a really cool enhancement to doom that offers better networking, options, etc.

<jacehall> ok. So imagine this updated but ORIGINAL perfect working copy of BLOOD.
<jacehall> Now add all the standard network capability that you would expect in a modern game. Just like what ZDAEMON adds to Doom...

<jacehall> Ok. so now lets talk about source code
<jacehall> when source code is released in enables cheating/hacking greatly
<jacehall> especially for something like what I described
<jacehall> When source gets released, it can sometimes really cause a community to break into small factions for all the different versions. This is what happened to DOOM

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Stuntman posted:

Just a heads-up that all the id games on Steam right now are discounted. Doom complete pack is $8.74, Heretic + Hexen is $2.49, and Quake collection is $7.49.

Too bad the Id Super Pack has been removed. Instead of a super pack, they have the Quakecon Bundle which will probably expire once Quakecon is over. It's basically all the Id Software and all the Bethesda stuff for $99. If you're hardcore, you can also pre-order Dishonored ($49) to get Arx Fatalis for free and some unspecified discount on the Quakecon Bundle.

Anyway, Heretic SOTSR, Hexen, Hexen Deathkings, and Hexen II for one quarter of a :10bux: is loving worth it if you don't already have them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

If you haven't watched John Carmack's QuakeCon keynote yet and are a tech nerd, do it, he's a loving genius and my hero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk
drat, half the question askers at the end looked morbidly obese.

I loved when Carmack was talking about WebGL and JavaScript and calling these things "offensively wrong" and "inspiring violent revulsion". :D

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Huh, still hasn't updated his front page?

The latest version is 1.6.00, not 1.5.06, but you can as well get the bleeding edge build from here. For configuring it, etc., the port's documentation is here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Everyone makes DOSBox out to be a janky piece of poo poo

DOSBox got a big increase in performances some times ago. I forgot if it was from 0.71 to 0.72, or from 0.72 to 0.73 (and we're currently on 0.74), but it was like night and day, with some games being horribly sluggish and slideshow-esque like Daggerfall suddenly (on the same computer with the same DOSBox CFG) becoming smooth and perfectly playable.

So maybe people have just kept bad memories of DOSBox but haven't tried a more recent version?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vertigus posted:

This just made me remember the item in Doom that fills in the automap. I used to avoid the hell out of that thing because it meant I'd be way more likely to get lost, instead of knowing which parts of the map I hadn't explored.

What? It fills the unseen lines in gray, so you can make the difference easily between what you've already explored and what you haven't seen yet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tezzeract posted:

Looks amazing. When's it coming out?

It's very rare that modders give any release date beyond "when it's done" in my experience, but if you want to follow its progress, the development thread is there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

Absolution I think contains a modified old version of Skulltag, so it plays like any modern Doom port now.

Doomsday; not Skulltag. If it had been based on Skulltag, it would be playable with GZDoom by now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

How does Doom64 EX work? I get the WadGen thing, and it then outputs an IWAD and a soundfont, but do you drop it into a source port of your choice then?

So long as your choice is "Doom 64 EX", then yes.

There was some attempt to add support for that IWAD in ZDoom, but it's in a experimental branch in an early pre-alpha status with nobody working on it currently, so it's unplayable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It looks fantastic for the Doom engine though
Even though the main developer's previous work was a Doom source port, Wrack is not based on the Doom engine at all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

Gzdoom uses opengl only

Nah, the ZDoom software renderer is still there too. The vid_renderer console variable controls which renderer is used, 0 for software and 1 for OpenGL.

H2Omelon posted:

Consider using Pr-Boom+ instead, or GLBoom+ which comes in the same download if you want Open GL rendering like GZDoom. The port will run the wad faster than the ZDoom ports because it doesn't contain so many features that slow it down.

It depends. ZDoom is slower when there are thousands of active monsters, but is generally faster otherwise (on Windows) because it uses native DirectX calls to display the renderer's output instead of going through SDL's bottlenecks.
See this Doomworld thread. The poster named "entryway" is the PrBoom+ developer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

I believe that's the plan, but there's been a lot of changes under the hood since whenever they stopped updating ZDoom, like a complete replacement of the resource-loading system (I believe, it's been a while since I thought about this!)so it'll probably be a really long time before I can even think about client/server Reelism.

Yeah, the archive manager rewrite is the reason why they stopped keeping up with ZDoom, waiting for all the kinks in the new code to be fully worked out first... And then that happened, but they haven't resumed keeping up with new code because they put a bigger priority on bugfixing, and ZDoom went through several further rewrites (menu system, polyobjects, automap, input code, MIDI code...). The only major feature ZDoom got that they have cherry picked was the software 3D floor stuff. Pretty much everything else listed here from 2.4.0 onwards is missing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

1.) Interceptor Entertainment have started doing Developer Blogs for the ROTT reboot. This one goes into making levels using one of the old 90-degree-angles-only ROTT maps as a reference. It also has a time-lapse video with another funky cover of the original DOS soundtrack.

On their QuakeCon 2012 panel video, around 12 minutes in, one of them brings up this pic everybody here probably knows:

... and says that's E1M1 from Doom. :o: (Spoilers: it's actually E1M6. E1M1's design is fairly simple, as befits an intro map.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
An even better comparison would be GLBoom+, which has:
- Uncapped framerate
- Undistorted up/down look (though freelook is an option you have to turn on)
- Basically perfect accuracy as far as gameplay goes (otherwise, it wouldn't record or play back demos correctly)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It uses the so-called complevels, and you can set a default complevel in the ini. In practice, people only ever use complevels 2 or 9.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

just the ability to turn off autoswitch causes multiplayer desynch.
That's normal. Switching is a player action. Autoswitching means it's done without player input. So if autoswitching is the norm, but it's turned off for one player, then that player upon picking up a new weapon will switch on the other computers...

It can be remedied of course, by taking account for it in the netcode, which means considering that autoswitch is off and then explicitly sending switching commands across the network if one picks up a weapon with autoswitch on. It's trivial to do, but it has to be done (and that can break network compatibility with the original exe, if it was a desired feature).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does anyone know of doom/quake source ports that work with nVidia 3d vision? The 3d stuff works with pretty much anything that renders with DirectX, but all these source ports use OpenGL.

If what you need is DirectX rendering, you can try to see how stable Vavoom is. Just be aware that this port seems abandoned at the moment (last developer activity was in September 2011, and even the forum hasn't had any activity since June); so if you run into problems with it, you're not going to find much people who can help you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Prenton posted:

- Works with Thief 1/Thief Gold as well. So: adds native mouse-wheel support.

So it might be a good idea to mention that GOG's current weekend promo includes the Thief games; $4 each currently.

Unfortunately not the System Shock games, for depressing reasons already known to people here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

Dark7: Mission Pack - Half-baked final level aside, a good, chunky, militaristic set of maps with good detail and nice audio, and some minor tweaks to the usual formula.

It's a reupload, not anything new.

I have no idea why it was reuploaded. It's no different from the version which was already on the archive before and that it replaced. Ty must have been tired that day.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

Make sure you don't miss the secret stages that branch off from the second level - the mountain of loot you get from it helps out. It's not too hard to figure out, but the key is tofind and shoot ALL the barrels.

Good thing that, contrarily to Staging Area, the door to the secret exit stays open.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yodzilla posted:

I still think it'd be neat for someone to make a "game" or set of levels built with Brutal Doom in mind once they stabilize the build and stop adding things.

Like this?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

GZDoom was never really designed for this sort of thing, so the amount of CPU power you need is a little disproportionate. It gets a little chuggy at places here, but I've only got an old 2.6ghz Core2Quad, and I think ZDoom only uses one CPU core anyway. I'm hoping to upgrade to a beefy i7 start of next year, which should be good for just about everything.

The Doom engine itself cannot be multithreaded, it would cause desyncs in netplay and demo playback. Rendering could be done in a separate thread; though there's no overwhelming need to. There are a few mods which push the limits very far (nuts, Hellcore 2.0, P:AR, this), but they're the exception rather than the rule.

ZDoom uses separate threads for some things, though; the FMOD Ex sound renderer for instance; and if you use TiMidity++ as the soft synth it's even a different process. Nothing prevents the OS from putting these threads/processes on different cores if you have them. For instance, FluidSynth is a CPU hog if you use it on an old, single-core CPU; but with a dual-core or better, you will not lose any FPS from using it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

victrix posted:

That did it, looks like whatever is on the gzdoom webpage itself is outdated

Yep. It's better to look at the directory directly.
http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/download/

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the GZDoom download page has caused more issues and grief with incompatibility errors than anything else. The last "official" release is so woefully out of date that they might as well take down all of the download links and refer to the SVN directory, instead. I'm sure there's some programming reason for why it is the way it is, but there comes a point where the disparity between your official and SVN revisions is so great that you should probably think about making it really clear that this link is old as poo poo.

Last time he invoked some unspecified issue with his ISP. Which is weird, since he could upload the 1.6.00 package, so he still has access to his webspace. Anyway, I mostly think he doesn't really care anymore. If somebody else didn't volunteer to keep the code in sync, GZDoom would be totally dead by now.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 23, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The problem I have right now is that if I type 'idclev 25', assuming that E3M5 is the 25th map, it kicks me to map 25 of Doom 2, not the ZPack. I've also seen--erroneously, I assume--advice saying that you need to type the number of the episode and then the map number, such as 'idclev 35'. But that doesn't work either.

E3M5 would be idclev35 anyway. Play Ultimate Doom, type idclev25, you will find yourself on Deimos.

The idclev cheat, however, requires maps to follow the standard convention: E#m# in Ultimate Doom; MAP## in Doom II. If they don't (like KDIZD's Z#M#; or ZPack's use of E#M# in Doom II), then they have to have a levelnum explicitly defined in MAPINFO.

If you're curious about available maps, the console command listmaps exist.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You'd have to edit the weapon code and remove all +WEAPON.NOAUTOAIM flags that might be there.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jefferoo posted:

I'll try asking again, can anyone tell me why I'm having this issue with GZDoom for Mac? I get it in Dawn of War: Soulstorm as well.

Given that the Warhammer 40K engine and GZDoom have pretty much nothing in common except for being hardware accelerated, the culprit here is faulty hardware.

Try to see if updated drivers can solve the issue; otherwise play Doom with a software renderer. (And for WH40K, there is no alternative.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Fluidsynth, the old version has memory leaks. There's a new DLL now.

catlord posted:

Don't forget that Revenants will also shoot you in the face even when you're right up next to them hoping they'll try to punch instead. They are astoundingly unpredictable, I find.

They'll only shoot in close range after having been hurt. You inflict them pain, they retaliate once with a missile, regardless of range. Then they're back to trying to slap you.

Very predictable, actually.

Also, two rockets or two point-blank SSG discharge, and they're out. If they accidentally survive such punishment, you can switch to the fist or chainsaw, because they really won't have much hit points left.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 31, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zeether posted:

I'm having issues with Chocolate Doom. Doom 2 crashes during the demo, which the wiki says is because the WAD isn't patched to 1.9, but I don't know which version of the WAD I have. It's the one off of Steam.

It should be the right version, then. If you want to verify, you can always use this handy little utility to compare to the values here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can completely cheat, though. Here's how to do it. If you stay inside the starting room, wait for the cyberdemon to get in one of the adjoining rooms, and then camp on the stairs opposite that room. The demon's rockets will blow up on the switch pillar in the middle; whereas your attacks will fly above it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Apparently BFG Edition changes a lot of random poo poo in the original Doom episodes that come with it. I guess the Red Cross finally sought legal action against them for the red crosses on the stimpaks and medikits, so those have been replaced with ugly, poorly drawn pills. They also cut out the title screens and from what I've heard they also changed the secret levels in Doom 2 for some reason. Are they really that big of a change? No, not really. But it irks me.

Only the Doom II titlescreen. Ultimate Doom still has its normal title screen. Apparently, it's because they've based it on the XBLA port of Doom II, which had removed the Brom art piece to replace it with a widescreen thing. But here they're not even using the XBLA replacement pic.

There's a full list of differences here. (As well as info on which source ports can be used.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Don't worry, it has all been fixed with an unofficial patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NURfvG0lfpA

Wait, you can crouch for cover, but there's still no melee and grenade functions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was to celebrate the release of COD Black Ops. And rather than cutscenes in general, this one is more about parodying modern shooters' storytelling ("five years earlier", "the keycards, Ted, tell us what they mean").

Nevertheless, it's funnier than the first. If you get the actual mod, you'll see there's a bunch of extra content that makes it actually kinda entertaining for a couple minutes, like the Wolfenstein arcade and the zombie invasion mode.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SavageMessiah posted:

Does anyone know of a good set of UV-speed demos for it?

All the best demos are going to be on the DSDA.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's also quite good independently of what game it was made for. Strife is a lucky game in its neglect: all the maps made for it are good. (Well, I haven't tried the deathmatch level; but the Kaiser and Khorus maps are all great.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Am I missing something in Memento Mori 2? I'm in the Sewer level (Sabbath Sewers, I believe) and I'm trying to get the yellow skull. I've seen the skull but it got locked up before I could reach it. Now there's this blue checkerboard wall doesn't seem to have any way of being lowered, and that looks like the only way I can go.

There's another yellow skull somewhere else.
Walkthrough.

As for the blue checkerboard thing... You mean cyan and white squares, solid color without texture? That's the missing texture placeholder in GZDoom. (In ZDoom too, but the cyan becomes gray because of paletted render.)