Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not sure if this should go here but on goon recommendation I've been playing Wolfenstein: New Order for the first time. Holy poo poo is this game good! Best FPS protagonist personality ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm finally going to try to finish Doom 3. I know it's not "doom" but it's still a very good game in its own right. I get why it's maligned but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm also currently replaying Doom 2. Haven't played it since I was a teen in the 90s. I don't remember the levels being as much of an unfun slog as I'm seeing here. Doom 1 still holds up really well by comparison.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m looking to play thru Quake 1, 2, and 3 on Windows 10 in Ultra-wide resolution. What are the best ports/patches to enable that in each of those games?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thank you everyone!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone remember a weird shape changing game I think called "Shadow Caster?" I picked it up in the mid 90s from Radio Shack and I enjoyed it. That's my story.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meat Beat Agent posted:

I've never played it myself, but it's pretty notable for having a rendering engine written by John Carmack which was the direct ancestor of the Doom engine.

Huh, I had no idea Carmack was involved at all. Just thought it was kind of a one-off relic.

EDIT: Just googled it and saw that it was Raven software who did that. I had no idea, and I played the poo poo out of Heretic around the same time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Raven, wtf isn’t Heretic 2 on Steam?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Got myself a good Doom front end and GZDoom install and wanted to know what are some popular and well playing wads. Preferably full campaign type poo poo. Any recommendations?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thanks everyone! I’ll download these recommendations this evening and check them out. For the more grindy/slaughter map stuff, does lowering the difficulty swing the balance back to “well balanced?”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having an issue that I know is stupid/easy. I'm trying to run a custom pwad and using the Ultimate Doom iwad file to load it thru Doom Launcher/GZDoom. However Ultimate Doom itself is loading, not the pwad levels.

Update: I can drag the wad over the gzdoom.exe and it'll load just fine. So that works. Just trying to see why it doens't work in the Doom Launcher.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 26, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Two things:

1. Does the 20th anniversary of Duke 3D on Steam include all of the expansion packs? I never actually played much of Duke.

2. Finally playing through Doom 3 and this game is seriously under rated. Yes it’s slow and monster closets suck and etc, but it’s really for some kick rear end at atmosphere and the levels are fun to explore.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Getting around to playing Arcane Dimensions for Quake and drat this level design is loving amazing.

Also...how does Daikatana hold up these days? Worth the 5 bucks on GOG?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chinook posted:

I just downloaded quakespasm tonight to play Quake for the first time in a few years and I'm going to check out Arcane Dimensions. It really makes the original maps look like poo poo, doesn't it?

It’s less that, and more that this could’ve passed as a paid expansion. It doesn’t render the rest of Quake obsolete. Rather, it makes the original four episodes seem like a training ground for the new hotness.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Finally got to the hell part of Doom 3 and drat does ID know how to do hell. I’m not sure which game does it best but 3 is no slouch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’d like to believe that in the new proposed movie it’ll be a NC17 demonic hellish blood bath instead of the “oh no another virus” or whatever the gently caress the Doom movie was doing. I want dismemberment and ritual sacrifices. Humans, babies, animals, baby animals I don’t care. I want the darkest most profane poo poo ever put on screen with our mean green space marine tearing demon assholes open and scaring the poo poo out of hell. And for the marine, get Bautista. He’s got the range necessary for a character who should never open his mouth. And Mick Gordon on that soundtrack! gently caress I’m hard thinking about it!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So in anticipation of Rage 2, i'm playing Rage which has been in my library for awhile but untouched. I'm having an issue where the "sell" interface window doesn't show up. I can "click" on where things should be and the sound plays for the menu screen, but it's otherwise invisible. Anyone seen this bizaare poo poo?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm interested in getting all the Heretic/Hexen games because I only ever played Heretic and couldn't run the rest as a wee lad. I know Heretic and Hexen can both be modernized with the OpenGL Zdoom/GZdoom ports, but what about Hexen 2/Heretic 2? Anyway to get those running in ports with modern resolutions/controls?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

No dick and a 10-pack. I call steroid shenanigans.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there an advantage to using GZDoom over Zdoom, or vice versa? I'm using GZDoom now but it seems to not get as much mention as Zdoom so want to make sure I'm using one of the better/widely used/compatible ports.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Been studying canon Doom timelines lately and want to see if this is the correct order of the games:

Doom 3-> Doom->Doom II->Final Doom-Doom64->Doom2016

I'm going to do a run through of all these games in this order so the rip and tear in DOOM16 is more cathartic. It's also a billion levels of DOOM.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mak0rz posted:

Doom 3 is a reimagining of the Doom 1 events as far as I know. Otherwise this is accurate.

I've read this and also read it's a prequel. Since the story is just different enough I like to have a head canon for these games. Since Doom3 is restricted to Mars and Doom1+2 is the Mars moons and Earth, i'll just pretend it comes first because YEA!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Convex posted:

where does hDoom fit in the canon, guessing before Final Doom?

What is hDoom?

Edit: NVM!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, poo poo, that's tomorrow?

I punted on Descent 2 due to terrible level design, but I enjoyed Descent 1 and 3 a great deal, so I'm cautiously excited for Overload.

Descent 2 had such an amazing soundtrack though!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CJacobs posted:

We need Marphy Black to come tell us which Doom goes in which order based on the color of Doomguy's gloves and elbow pads.

What’s this?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Kins posted:

Was added to the PC version of Tony Hawk 3 as a platform-exclusive secret character if you typed "IDKFA" into the cheat entry screen.

Lol naturally the speed stat is the highest.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ToxicFrog posted:

Right, but you can enjoy that by firing it up in winamp while you play a different game with a worse soundtrack. There's no reason to subject yourself to Descent 2 just for the music.

As a budding teen I beat Descent 2 multiple times and never had any problems with it. I've got the Descent games in my GOG catalog; maybe I should go back and try them now. Back then was before even mouselook was a thing; I had all the movement controls mapped to the num pad.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games still worth a play these days? I loved Dark Forces when it first came out but can't remember if I beat it or not and I never got around to playing it's sequels.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

site posted:

iirc dark forces and jedi knight are janky to get set up, but yeah they are still surprisingly good

Is there an opinion on whether it's better to get them in Steam or GOG? I have the library in Steam and I think the first Jedi Knight game also on GOG because it was weird to get running. No source ports for these bad boys I guess. I know Dark Forces and Daggerfall had the XLEngine but that project petered out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Beat Doom 3, loving loved it! Playing through expansion now. Also, trying to get started with Plutonia experiment with Brutal Doom. Only playing on Bring it On but drat these first few levels are loving vicious!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having finished Doom 3 and loving it, I’m making a declaration: there has never been a bad Doom game. :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There’s nothing like Descent rebirth for D3 is there? It’s difficult to get this game running smoothly at a decent resolution.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone tried Overload in VR? That seems like a dream come true gaming experience.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TTerrible posted:

Oh does it have VR support? I'll pick it up if so. Woo

Yep, Oculus and Vive!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Overload, hows Sublevel Zero? It looks like a fun VR Descent-like.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Spatial posted:

Overload has newgame+ with totally different enemies sets + all weapons from the start. Good idea and pretty fun.

Playing it now and drat are these controls smooth. Playing with an Xbox 360 controller and it feels so natural.

EDIT: So...just gave Overload a whirl in the Oculus. That is complete (excuse the pun) sensory overload. I love playing Elite Dangerous and Eve: Valkyrie on Oculus but Overload might just be too much. I mean that in a good way but...not sure I can play it more than five minutes at a time.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 4, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yodzilla posted:

The best way to play Doom 3 is to not be a scared baby and sprint through the levels shotgunning poo poo as it pops out from everywhere. It actually starts feeling pretty good and like proper Doom instead of a slow survival horror trudge.

How else do people play it? That’s exactly what I’ve been doing and the game is just fine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

The best moment in Doom 3 was when you approach one nondescript door and a giant monster sticks its head out and licks you and whispers something in Latin.

That and the teleporter effect that looks like you're flying up Satan's rear end in a top hat.

OMG I LOVE that Satan’s colon portal effect. It’s easy to be like “yep y’all need to poo poo this program down.”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m playing bits of Overload at the same time as the original Descent games, and I have a question: does Overload ever have that feeling of tight claustrophobic corridors with cavern textures and low lighting? It does the big shiny room thing awesomely but a few levels in and haven’t seen those tight wormy spaces yet and those were my fave parts of Descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Something i've never tried is Descent with a joystick. How does it handle? I'm really good with a m/k and since the game handles like an FPS it seems like a joystick wouldn't be as precise.