Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
here's a teaser for Total Chaos(seriously it's ridiculous how good they managed to get even a modified Doom engine to look)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brasseye posted:

That one on the right is one sorry looking cacodemon. I remember enjoying Doom 3 at the time but it has probably aged very badly in comparison to the other 2.

If you play Doom 3 make sure to get the BFG edition since that rebalances things to be a lot more fun as a shooter(for one thing you can use the Flashlight and a weapon at the same time now), it comes with both Doom 3 expansions, and perhaps most importantly it comes with Doom 1 & 2(in WAD format at that) including the No Rest For The Living episode that used to be exclusive to the Xbox Live version of Doom 2(also in WAD format so you can use it with source ports)

Also quick question; who owns the rights to Strife?(I ask this cause I noticed that not counting Chex Quest, it's the only idTech 1 game that's not available for purchase on Steam[or anywhere else], which means that unless you get your hands on an old copy of the game, it's the only idTech 1 game that you'd have to pirate to play[since Chex Quest 1 & 2 are available legally through Chex Quest 3 and every other idTech 1 game is on Steam])

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zeether posted:

I did a thing in Doom today:

That's the cockpit HUD and gun from Gundam Side Stories: The Blue Destiny on Sega Saturn, which looks like this:

I'm gonna add the muzzle flashes for the handgun and the head vulcans (you pilot a GM Mobile Suit in the game, not the Gundam itself) and sounds later. Also I have to edit the cockpit sprite because you can see the blank edges when it bobs back and forth.

Now we need to make a full Gundam themed conversion for the Doom engine

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So today I found at a thrift store a copy of Shogo(in a double pack with some rpg called Septerra), so is there anything I should know regarding getting it to run and getting the most enjoyment out of it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bought some games on GOG with mixed results; 2 of them didn't work at all(Shogo, and Unreal Tournament 99), while the other two worked out pretty well(Unreal Tournament 2k4, and the Redneck Rampage collection), which makes me think two things, one is that Redneck Rampage could use a revival cause it's pretty fun, and that it sucks that UT2k4 isn't more active on it's online component

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

UT99 should work if UT2k4 works. Make sure you install one of the updated DX9/OpenGL or DX10 renderers, and install the latest fan patch, and try it again.

If you're just interested in plain Unreal online, there is always the alpha for the new game. It's fairly active, and stable.

You're probably right, but I'm just going to stick with 2k4 for now(don't got the patience to deal with that sort of fiddling right now)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Somebody needs to remake Cold Winter, update the graphics and make half of the cutscenes playable even as simple QTEs.
I didn't think I'd ever see anyone ever bring that game up, that game was pretty fun

Commander Keenan posted:

Listicle time! RPS has "the 50 best FPS ever made".

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/13/best-fps/

The list:

1 DOOM
2 Half-Life
3 Thief II: The Metal Age
4 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
5 Quake III Arena
6 Half-Life 2
7 Planetside 2
8 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
9 Battlefield 1942
10 Far Cry 2
11 SWAT 4
12 BioShock 2
13 Action Quake 2
14 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
15 Mirror’s Edge
16 Arma 3
17 Crysis
18 Natural Selection 2
19 Wolfenstein: The New Order
20 Alien: Isolation
21 Left 4 Dead 2
22 Unreal Tournament 2004
23 Dishonored
24 Call of Duty 2
25 The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena
26 Rising Storm
27 Star Wars: Dark Forces
28 Star Wars Jedi Knight – Mysteries Of The Sith
29 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
30 Tribes Ascend
31 Halo: Combat Evolved
32 Aliens versus Predator
33 The Typing Of The Dead
34 The Operative: No One Lives Forever
35 Far Cry 3
36 Team Fortress 2
37 Quake
38 Descent
39 Bulletstorm
40 Metro 2033 Redux
41 Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
42 Rage
43 Tron 2.0
44 Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
45 Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
46 The Darkness 2
47 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
48 Zeno Clash
49 F.E.A.R.
50 Eldritch

not a completely awful list overall(although I'm sure we could make a much better one), but Team Fortress 2 should be a lot higher on that list, it's definitely in the top 10 in my opinion(would kick out either Far Cry 2, or Planet Side 2 to fit it in there), also for The Darkness 2 chat, personally found the first game to be pretty garbage on a gameplay level, while 2 is incredibly fun, and had a pretty interesting variation on Co-Op

also does anyone know where one can find a copy of the PC version of the 2009 version of Wolfenstein for cheap?

and really I'd say both Bioshock 1 & 2 are pretty great games, and are generally worth playing(and Infinite isn't awful albeit inferior to the first two, but switching to a two gun system was an awful decision, as was making Vigors able to be used less often than Plasmids could be)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Here's a top ten that I came up with after twenty minutes or so:

• DOOM
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Half-Life
  • Quake
  • SiN
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Painkiller
  • Descent
  • Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
  • Unreal

One of those should be swapped out for Team Fortress 2, otherwise it looks pretty good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

laserghost posted:

I wonder what the spoon weapon could be changed to.

You've obviously never been stabbed with a spoon before(I have and it hurts like hell)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nah, just my older brother doing something really stupid

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

while we're talking about DOOM ports, trying to remember what exactly was unique to the Saturn & PSX versions of DOOM, and FINAL DOOM(I do remember they differ from the original versions), also wondering if there's a WAD/Conversion for those versions

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 20, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I hit a veritable jackpot today at a local Savers(thrift store chain), found a copy of Tribes 2(what's the best way to get that running on a modern computer, and is it still worth playing, or was it entirely reliant on multiplayer?), and a bunch of 3rd Party expansion packs for Quake 1;

anyone know anything about any of these and whether they're worth trying?(also have a copy of Quake 1 and it's two official mission packs on Steam, what's the best source port to use on a Windows 8.1 machine?)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh, definitely! I've actually been wanting to write a manual for a while, and the moddb download has a quick reference sheet, but I'd be more than eager to see what you come up with.

Not yet. Now that Zandronum 2.0's released, though, I have support for named states for A_Refire; so I'll be able to include an "Automatic" class option for DemonSteele that does auto-fire for weapons.
I have no clue how special moves will work with auto-fire on, but I can figure that out later. Accommodating players with medical issues is kind of more important.

Very sorry for the trouble. :shobon:

could have Special Attacks keyed to separate buttons when Auto-Fire is turned on

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think this video represents the franchise a bit better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ngYWbkDMT4

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I always find more replayable a wad with Samsara because of the character selection, each one gives you a completely new playthrough because of the weapondry (I always do at least a Quake Ranger and Heretic Cleric run).

it's too bad Samsara stopped development, would have been interesting to see even more FPS characters get added to it(the fact that Lo Wang isn't playable is a huge disappointment), really wish I knew how to code for Doom/idTech 1 cause I would totally expand Samsara as far as humanly possible in terms of playable characters(I wonder how many characters could be added before it becomes too unwieldy to use)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

If someone wants to try Wrack, quote this and I'll send a steam key your way.

You can find out for yourself why it's not very good.

(And on that note I also have a copy of System Shock 2 that needs a good home.

And Strife.

And Paranautical Activity, though this doesn't need a good home so much as someone willing to play a trashfire of a game.)

I could go for a copy of System Shock 2(Steam name is drrockso20[MicS] ), also what's so bad about Paranautical Activity?

also bought Ziggurat during the first day of Steam Sale, and it's a pretty fun game that is definitely rather Doom like in play style

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

PA is like Ziggurat; an acceptable but ultimately boring game, but made with far less attention to detail and polish. Also your steam ID doesn't work.

Mechadon released the second beta for Vela Pax. 3 levels. Get it here.

e: The chaingun is sooooo good.

try searching for just drrockso20, it should be the only profile result, should have a grasshopper head as it's icon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

Doom rpg and RL arsenal are fun.

Community chest 4 is fun.

The two combed are even more fun.

THEN

What? :stare:

WHAT :stonk:

WHY!

Really conveys the :xcom: feeling of roguelikes.

that looks really neat(what exactly is Community Chest 4?)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so anyone know how to get Doom RPG(and the DoomRLA and RL Monster Pack) working using ZDL?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SilentW posted:

What, specifically, are you having trouble with? The Github page for DoomRPG has a very good guide on exactly how to get it working with DoomRLA/Monsters.

well I'm lazy and computer illiterate enough that I don't want to mess with making batch or shell files(one of the reasons I use ZDL, cause it makes running Doom simple as hell), but when I try to set up ZDL to launch DoomRPG I can't figure out how to get it running with that(turns out there's no issues with DoomRLA and RL Monsters cause those are just WAD files and ZDL can handle those easily)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

I strongly suggest using the DoomRPG launcher for it instead of ZDL, but if you want to you have to make the DoomRPG folder into a pk3 file, and then load it and whatever compatibility patches your pwad/iwad needs. If you want to use the DoomRLA with it, you should load DoomRLA.wad, then the monsters, hud, and finally DoomRPG itself.

tried using DoomRPG Launcher but it's garbage that doesn't work, also how do I make a pk3 file?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SilentW posted:

I don't use ZDL, but all I had to do for my launcher was to get it to load the appropriate folders in the DoomRPG folder... but I guess if you're totally unwilling to make a batch file, there isn't much you'll be able to do about that.

edit: elliot is much better versed in this and his suggestion is WAY better than the way I currently do it.

edit^2: Also, if you're really this lazy and aren't willing to expend even a modicum of effort, there is no way you'll ever find the energy to bind the keys for DoomRPG/RL and figure out the menu system. Just don't bother.

rebinding keys is something I don't mind doing, same with figuring out menues, just really didn't want to deal with anything complicated

Elliotw2 posted:

Throw everything in the folder in either a .zip or .7z file and rename it as .pk3 or .pk7.

Or you can use the command line options, the launcher normally uses this, replace paths and add files as needed.

"G:\games\PC\Doom\gzdoom.exe" -iwad Doom2 -file "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLArsenal.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLHUD.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\pwad\DoomRLMonsters.wad" "G:\games\PC\Doom\DoomRPG-master\DoomRPG"

I'll give it a shot

EDIT: neither of those options worked

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 23, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Kins posted:

This is the only thing I remember about Daikatana 64...

wait there was a console port of Daikatana!?!?!?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Okay finally got around to reinstalling Quake and setting up Quakespasm and so far it's working really well, I'll eventually need to get around to grabbing some additional SP addons(like that one X-Men Total Conversion) and installing those Quake Expansions I bought last month as well after I beat the Campaign(and maybe the Mission Packs as well)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

:corsair:

I've missed that feeling of being lost in a FPS level. Can't derail in a mordern FPS.

While I don't like being railroaded(unless it's done in a cool manner), I'm definitely not a fan of getting lost in old FPS's, although Doom(and other idTech 1 games) is the only one I've played recently that that becomes a big issue on a regular basis(Quake so far in comparison is a lot simpler in it's map layouts)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two things I always hated about Quake, despite loving the game, are the sound of the shotgun, and how every weapon was centered.

yeah I'd say from playing so far, the weapons are the weakest part of the game, with the shotgun and double barreled shotgun being completely useless

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Just played Quake for the first time, did the first chapter. I have to say, that first boss was very... I don't know, Legend of Zelda. I felt silly running in a circle around this poor big dude who can't hit a moving target

yeah it's kinda weird how the lightning yeti things are a more challenging fight than that was

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

closeted republican posted:

A Daikatana prototype dated September 1st, 1997 tha runs on the Quake 1 engine has been released.

http://daikatananews.net/dkmilestone2.html

It's basically the "full" version of the old pre-alpha released ages ago, as it has everyone the pre-alpha does, but with a lot more maps. The maps feel pretty barebones, with few enemies, maps that are as short as your average Quake 1 map, lots of incomplete areas and paths, and zero item placement. It's funny how they actually sold this as a milestone to the publisher. The most surprisng thing is how close to the final maps several of Milestone 2's maps are, which tells you how hosed DK's development was. The enemy skins and models are good for a laugh because of how stupid most of them look. If you thought Kenneth Scott and Chris Perna's XTREME 90s comic look for enemies was weird, then wait until you see the enemies in this prototype.

When playing this, remember that Romero originally wanted the game out by Christmas 1997. :v:

Considering this prototype uses the Quake 1 engine, makes me wonder if it could be polished up to be a properly "complete" game of it's own?(basically a glorified Q1 TC but still)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I found HL2's gunplay reasonably good, but the ammo issues mentioned made me start using cheats around the time you get the Rocket Launcher, also I need to get back to playing, I still haven't gotten around to beating it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Speaking of which, is there easy ways to modify Quake and Quake 2 so you can raise the ammo limit for each type super high, but not just make ammo infinite? Or to allow health and armor pickups to infinitely stack as long as you don't die? I like to replay wads with that sort of thing going on in Doom for the interesting change in balance when you can get yourself 1000 health during one map of a megawad and then nearly lose it all to stupidity in the next one.

Well the "give [item] #" console command can give you ammo, health, and armor a lot higher than normal, although it doesn't quite stick properly with ammo, so you can play around with that sort of thing a little

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Play the definitive version of PD64, which is on XBLA; it fixed the two things that I wanted from the original, which was a better framerate and online/LAN play.

Doesn't hurt that you're not using that godawful N64 controller. Kudos to Nintendo for inventing the thumbstick, but holy poo poo, was their version the worst.

Speaking of Rare made shooters for the N64 with really awkward controls, anyone else remember Jetforce Gemini?(not an FPS, but felt like bringing it up, also it really needs a modern port badly, as it has bad controls even by N64 standards)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Jet Force Gemini is going to be in the Rare Replay release coming out for the Xbox One early August, along with 29 other games on the same disc/download: http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Replay-Xbox-One/dp/B00ZMBMO06

Also includes re-releases of both Perfect Dark games.

Well that just made the chances of me getting an Xbox One in the future go up by a fair amount, hope it's not just a straight emulation of the N64 original(also makes me wonder which version of Conker's Bad Fur Day will be in there, the original N64 version or the Live & Reloaded version for the original Xbox)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

It is my understanding that their plan is as follows:

Emulators for the oldest games: The ZX Spectrum/C64/BBC Micro, NES and SNES games will all be emulated as of what they've most recently released.

For the N64 games, those that have had Xbox 360 remakes will be included as the 360 versions running in backwards compatibility mode (I'm in the beta for that, Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark run great, I don't have Perfect Dark Zero or Bajo Kazooie on 360 to test)

Those that don't have already existing 360 releases are likely to be straight ported, because N64 emulation is a tire fire, and they've already had experience porting off of it.

That sounds reasonable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

Sweet JESUS Blast Corps is on that. Microsoft take my money. Take it now god drat you.

I will say it makes owning a Xbox One a lot more tempting, although I'm still more likely to get at least one of either the Wii U or the PS4 first

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

All I want is the Perfect Dark rerelease that was on XBLA a few years ago.

supposedly that's the version of Perfect Dark we'll be getting in this collection(it also might get released by itself on Xbox One Marketplace along with most of the other games Rare made for the 360 as they're part of that 360 Backwards Compatibility beta that Nintendo Kid mentioned earlier)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It'd be easier for them than to emulate the N64 version, for sure. We just need it to release on PC. :(

Why is the N64 so hard to emulate anyways?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Were any of the wave of retro-inspired FPSs in the past few years any good, really?

Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty good(at least the single player was)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't think steam thought my all caps "NUKE IT FROM ORBIT" request on AVP 2010 was serious.

But it was.

Huh, personally I rather liked AVP 2010, or rather I liked the Alien and Predator campaigns, Human campaign was kinda meh and I never got around to actually beating it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ArfJason posted:

it was added fairly recently. Disney for some reason decided to dump a shitload of games on steam, including stuff like split/second and i want to say epic mickey but im not too sure on that.

Man that makes me wish I had a computer good enough to run Split/Second that game is one of my most favorite Racing games of all time(at least of the sort where you drive somewhat realistic cars and not other weirder vehicles)

Actually come to think about it, Split/Second's main gimmick would actually work pretty well in a FPS context as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

arcsig posted:

Split/Second is cool but being locked to 30FPS on PC is really annoying.

I'm guessing that's for performance/stability reasons, I could easily see that game choking a lot of older computers if it was at 60FPS, although it could just be Disney being lazy