Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is it cool to talk about DUSK here or is there another thread for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Then in that case I really enjoyed the two episodes that are out right now. Doom 4 reignited my love of 90s twitch shooters and playing some old classics that I missed really allowed me to get in the right headspace for DUSK. The first episode is very Redneck Rampage/BLOOD and episode two pulls pretty heavily from Half-Life if Black Mesa let in Azathoth instead of the Xen aliens. Episode three looks to be more directly inspired by Quake just judging by the architecture present at the end of episode two.

I also think episode two is pretty much categorically better than episode one. The level design alone blows most everything in the first episode out of the water.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Kins posted:

Ion Maiden has been announced (despite it being known about for a dogs age beforehand) and immediately given an Early Access release with a "preview campaign" that I'm told consists of about five connected maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcAwzusZUrQ

on one hand the first thought I had after that trailer was "mite b cool"

on the other that "preview campaign" stuff sounds shady as gently caress, at least DUSK was doing it as a sort of callback to the shareware days and providing an entire third of the game

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

King Vidiot posted:

Dunno what you guys are complaining about, poo poo looks rad. I'm glad they decided to expand that short promotional Build engine Bombshell thing into a full 7(!) episode game.

I mostly just get skittish when there are "preview campaigns" for early access stuff since i've seen it used a lot by shady developers and publishers. Its good to hear that it was a preexisting thing though since that makes it way less shady.

Edit: On a related note its kind of amazing that the build engine looks as good as it does with modern textures and resolution. I wonder if any more games that come out of this 90s twitch shooter renaissance will use it because of that?

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 28, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Guillermus posted:

I liked Bioshock 1 and 2 a lot. I'm that guy that can have all good things. Infinite at the other hand, had a good start and looked really good but it went to garbage levels on the last third (and I'm being generous).

It also had the Vox turn evil for what was basically no reason on top of that so the weird story decision trend of all the bioshock games continues.

Honestly I feel like Prey is a better heir to System Shock than Bioshock was

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Bioshock, for all its faults, is a masterclass in environmental storytelling. Unfortunately I think the Souls games, Bloodborne in particular, have long since eclipsed it in that regard.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want to strangle the level designer who decided that putting Battlelords all over the third episode of Duke Nukem 3d was good game design.

"Oh yes a bullet sponge hit scanner who can kill the player in two seconds, nothing wrong with this :smuggo:"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

catlord posted:

Shrink 'em.

Tried that but they've started coming in pairs, and it takes multiple shots to shrink them. So while i work on shrinking one his buddy turns me to ground beef, luckily the magic of the quicksave is greater than any mere battlelord.

Edit: whew, managed to complete episode three. Now all I need to do is conquer The Birth and i'll be ready to move on to Blood :black101:

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 6, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DatonKallandor posted:

The ending of Infinite is literally the main character of game not understanding how the game's rules work, after being explicitly told how the games rules work and killing an innocent man for no reason. It's a lovely ending. But then I question anyone who claims to have any emotional investment in Infinite after the point where they roll out a quantum necromancer ghost, a plot point so utterly stupid it defies belief. Quantum Necromancer Ghost is so loving stupid it's beyond parody.

I forget what the Quantum Necromancer Ghost was, i might have expunged it from my memory

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZdXs8U3cxI

This seems interesting

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Duke 3D enemy design suffers from an over reliance on Hitscan and small fast moving projectiles that are basically hitscan anyway. Lots of unavoidable damage that is only really mitigated by the Medkit item and quicksaving.

Luckily that game is built on killer level design.

Once I beat The Birth I'm probably gonna try to play through Quake 1 again since DUSK inspired me to give it another shot.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think you'll find that pretty much every CoD is thinly disguised american war propaganda masquerading as a video game and should be regarded with the same disdain we use for things like 'Birth of a Nation' and 'Triumph of the Will'.

They have no redeeming value whatsoever and their very existence has actively caused the medium as a whole to backslide into the same cultural black hole that Hollywood currently resides in, as well as popularizing game design trends that have poisoned the industry for over a decade now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

I think you'll find that pretty much every CoD is thinly disguised american war propaganda masquerading as a video game.......

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CJacobs posted:

It's not portrayed as a good thing.

Its the paranoid fantasies of a pentagon general who fondly remembers the Cold War. The military industrial complex loves idea of going back that kind of power struggle since it keeps the wheels of war profiteering going.

NSFW: https://youtu.be/JRdIpnKrPD0

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mordja posted:

With a bunch of retro-shooters suddenly coming out recently, I've been seeing a weird sentiment here and there: that all of these games are charging too much at :20bux:. Meanwhile, these same people will happily spend that much on indie platformers, or 8-bit roguelikes or what have you, AKA other retro throwbacks, so what gives?

It might be that a lot of them are still in early access. That tends to color peoples opinions about price.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

Outside of DOOM 2016, which I loving loved, what are some good FPS titles that have come out recently, new or old school, that really have superb gun feel and gameplay flow? Wolfenstein Old Blood, with a few tweaks, would probably be my favourite FPS shooting system ever, but I'm open to arcadey stuff like DOOM 2016 as well. Ion Maiden looks fun.

I can't recommend DUSK enough, it scratched my old school shooter itch better than the real thing did

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I liked Doom 4 so much I literally started over and beat the whole thing again on the second hardest difficulty after the first time I did it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

it's literally in the game manual

lol this nerd reads game manuals

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Smart AI would be annoying as gently caress.

[laughs in F.E.A.R.]

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

They're also not very smart at all, when people call Fear AI "smart" they mean "good" which again, really translates to "predictable and communicated".

Quake 3 bots are much "smarter" than Fear bots, but Fear bots feel much more interesting to shoot.

Sure but this is pretty insane hair splitting, they are able to dynamically change their tactics based on player actions through a simple but very detailed AI decision tree. This can include the use of explosives to flush the player out of hidey holes, flanking the player, or even hiding in hard cover when their numbers get thinned out. They are predictable and communicated in as much as their movements make basic sense and they mostly just boil down to dudes with guns that have broadly similar abilities as the player (also there is a very clever use of radio audio cues that makes the AI feel smarter than they are).

They aren't the half-sentient super enemies that internet urban legend makes them out to be but they are probably the best AI I've ever seen in a video game without getting into multiplayer bots with 100% perfect accuracy and super-human timing. They very much deserve to be called "smart" by the very VERY low standards of video game AI, and that doesn't at all prevent them from being "good". IMO it only enhances it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I feel like this entire conversation is predicated on an extremely subjective definition of "smart".

I'm talking about relative to video game AI and you seem to be talking about all AI ever which are two entirely different things here.

quote:

And again, multiplayer bots with 100% accuracy wouldn't be fun. To say that Fear AI is the next best thing to perfect bots makes no sense to me at all; they are INTENTIONALLY designed to not be perfect. Its not that they tried to make them perfect and just couldn't do it or came as close as they could. They very intentionally hobbled the AI in both Halo and Fear, and that's why they're fun.

Now its your turn to misunderstand me, I never said they couldn't make the AI better in F.E.A.R.. I understand that they intentionally made them worse in terms of accuracy and reaction times because perfect bots in multiplayer existed for years before F.E.A.R. was a thing. I'll admit I wasn't super clear about this so let me lay out what I mean in plain language: F.E.A.R. AI is about as good as you can get before you get into the unfun bullshit of perfect bots. That doesn't make it not smart though (relative to video game AI).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The 2.5d of Project Warlock actually made me kinda nauseous (especially with the speed boost power up) and I was feeling it a little bit with civvie's Nightmare Reaper video. Dont have the same problem with old 2.5d shooters and I dont know why.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Songbearer posted:

I didn't know about Project Warlock until you guys mentioned it and looking at it it's got some pretty positive reviews and looks decent enough. What's the sitch?

I liked it well enough but it has some pretty obvious problems. For one thing, unlike something like Dusk or Amid Evil, its too faithful to the old retro shooters and ends up recreating a bunch of the same problems that they had.

Poor hit detection, really bland level design (particularly in egypt and hell), the cardboard board cut out objects and enemies can be disorienting, poor collision detection for items and enemies and it develops a fondness for instant kill deathpits in the last episode. Plus it added in a lives system that deletes your save which is a terrible idea even Shovel Knight thought was too archaic for the modern era.

Its still basically fun to run around and shoot things which can paper over a ton of flaws in a shooter and fortunately for Project Warlock it pulls of its weapons and enemy designs very well.

Its worth checking out but be prepared.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Playing through Ion Fury myself and I have a few thought:

-Someone is a 40k fan because half the enemies feel like they were ripped straight out of the Adeptus Mechanicus armylist

-Not sure how much I like the "everytime you do something a bunch of enemies spawn in a room you previously cleared", I think I'd be more ok with it if enemies didn't have a habit of just appearing out of nowhere. Dusk did this a lot better by having really obvious sprites for enemies, keeping environments simple enough that they didn't just blend into the background and having a bunch of audio cues. Hell Dusk has an invisible enemy meant to gank you and I think I got got by that less than Ion Fury's basic cultist.

-The juvenile humor would probably be endearing if the devs didn't have a pretty big hatespeech controversy recently which makes it all a lot more uncomfortable than it would have been otherwise.

-Music is cool and sets the mood great

-I love these early city environs

-There might just a few too many secrets

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Roth posted:

That apology is probably about as good as it gets for an apology from a company. At least it isn't "sorry you were offended"

Not buying Ion Fury again though, I'm already busy with Dusk anyway.

Thats for the best especially if you haven't played DUSK before.

I'm pretty positive on Ion Fury itself but I'd rank it well below DUSK and AMID EVIL in terms of quality. It makes a similar mistake to something like Project Warlock where they are slavishly devoted to their respective era, warts and all. This doesn't make either of them bad games but it means they get stuck with a lot of archaic design decisions for basically no reason.

Meanwhile DUSK and AMID EVIL not only chose a later era of shooter to emulate but made significant strides in modernizing that style of game to the point that they should be an example to every Retro-fps out there, but aren't for some reason.

edit:

Lemon-Lime posted:

The lack of actual condemnation of the people who made those statements in favour of just going "WHOOPS GUESS WE'LL DO SENSITIVITY TRAINING" absolutely loving blows even if the start of that is an actual apology.

Unfortunately given the statement they chose to end on they might be prevented from doing so due to the nature of the contract they signed with Voidpoint

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
btw I saw some people in the Ion Fury thread were wondering whether to New Blood guys were chuds or not and to answer that I wanted to let people know they have another game in development:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eY6V7YZZ38

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mister No posted:

Amid Evil has the best weapons of the throwbacks, though. a little reskinning makes even a boring rocket launcher sick as hell, and their shotgun analog is fantastic.

The mace in Amid Evil is legit one of my favorite shotgun style weapons in any shooter ever, probably only being topped by the SSG itself.

Edit: actually I'm gonna have it go:

1. SSG
Tied for 2nd: Mace and F.E.A.R. shotgun

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Idk what Gman was smoking when he reviewed Ion Fury but the Ion Bow is the best weapon in the game as its a Quake railgun with this games version of the BFG as its alt-fire. Also I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and finding it to be far less hard than death march he made it out to be.

I have my own criticisms of the game (not being able to fully look up or down combined with short swarmy enemies and hard to hit flying enemies being at the top of that list) but the game I'm playing and the game he talked about bear basically no resemblance to each other.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
People say dusk is ugly but I think it enhances the game and works really well with the cosmic horror elements.

There is the persistent feeling that the game can only just barely render the horrors you are seeing and nowhere is this shown off more than with those screaming horrors that run at you or the giant balls of flesh that vomit skulls at you.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
"Ogay" is a Cum Town bit they would say to fill dead air while they think of something else

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CJacobs posted:

The PS2 Silent Hill games look better and nastier than any modern console-era gorefest game. I'm sorry Doom 2016, those blurry grime textures actually served those games really well and sometimes you don't have to model individual intestines

edit: Maybe that's not fair, since graphical fidelity has shifted into overdrive in recent years and the more intestines you can render flying everywhere the better according to people who buy video games, but those Silent Hill games look downright dingy in a way that has never, ever been matched.

Im not sure this is entirely fair to DOOM considering that it and silent hill are going for very different tones.

Silent Hill is "asian horror" while DOOM is "heavy metal album cover"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Two more thoughts on Ion Fury

1. This pistol is quickly becoming one of my favorite fps pistols. It reminds me a lot of McCree's revolver in overwatch if his ult was just his alt fire.

2. They are way overdoing it with these skull crawlers, they aren't even really a challenge to fight, they're just a nuisance at best or an hp tax at worst. I'm pretty sure you could reduce the number of them in the game by half and it would only improve things. It also doesn't help that they like to hug right where the camera stops tilting, yes you can crouch but its still annoying.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Id love to see pro quake and pro half-life at some point

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
FEAR
DUSK
DOOM (2016)
Amid Evil

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'm surprised no one has put Overwatch on their list. It'd close in my book, it'd probably be number 5.

I liked overwatch more before it became all about hunkering down in shield bunkers. I also thought the map design was lackluster outside of King's Row.

I did like playing junkrat, mcree and reaper though, maybe Ill go back and play through some games with them again now that I remembered them. Too bad about what they did to Roadhog though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Insert name here posted:

Maybe it's because hero shooters suck rear end!!!!!!!!!

(I've never actually played Overwatch)

Hero shooters are just class-based shooters where the classes wear super hero outfits

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually really liked FEAR 1's grungy, super grounded, industrial aesthetic since it just made the supernatural elements feel like they didn't belong and were somehow intruding on reality (in a good horror-y way). It even managed to make wire-fu John Woo/Matrix fights work alongside the more overt horror elements without either element ruining the tone for the other.

I'm real sad that the sequels went for a more generic sci-fi aesthetic.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tim Thomas posted:

Isn't the FEAR gunplay basically the best case scenario for Maximum Action?

God I hope so

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Isnt Battlefield 1 also cartoonishly inaccurate compared to history?

A WW1 that was at all faithful would just be "Dying of trenchfoot simulator". Perhaps you could make a decent horror game out of the setting but im not sure a game could fully capture the mind-shattering terror of actually being a soldier in WW1, mostly because you it would be hard to do the long months where nothing happens except the occasional doomed charge into no man's land without it being deeply unpleasant to play in a way that would make any sane person turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

skasion posted:

Just trying to imagine the kind of people who discovered in AD 2019 that Call of Duty is US military propaganda

No its actually anti imperialist because they made a us general bad one time and