Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

This video contains all you need to know about Nefaria's Reign: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcnt8MAMMf0

I am so confused :psyduck:
"HE CERTAINLY IS DA SLOWEST IN ARM-OR. HIS MOR-TAR IS ACTUALLY REALLY STRONG."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

My goodness Brutal Doom is just about the best thing I have ever played.

Brutal Doom is good enough to make me replay both Dooms and as many WADs as I can stomach. I have a hard time imagining Doom without all of the blood splattering and the "gently caress YOURSELF" button.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

tooooooo bad posted:

edit: this owns

One of the best GIFs ever.

There's something so brilliantly cathartic about playing DOOM today. It's so simple and easy to understand, very few games work like this anymore, where you can just sort of play a quick "pick up" game and blast some baddies.

It sounds like a real :corsair: rant, but gosh durnit', I remember when games only had ONE splash screen, and no intro cinematics to skip through!

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

My only complain is that i started level 2 and theres a tip message:

Is there any way to disable that? Its getting really annoying because no matter how long i play level 2, it keeps showing and i cant see poo poo in front of me.

I have had the same problem when I load UTnT with Brutal Doom! I can't figure out if it's a weird keybinding issue or what. Also in that mod, I think the flamethrower weapon becomes un-selectable once you cycle away from it. Brutal Doom doesn't allow it to fit into the weapon slots or something.

And holy poo poo that Brutal 10x mod is upsettingly overwhelming.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just played through WGRealms 2, it's a really nice piece of classic FPS'ing. Am I missing something, or is it unfinished? I beat the Ice Wizard and it just takes me back to the starting zone.

Still, it's an impressive piece with a lot of cool weapons and TOUGH enemies. Anyone who hasn't played it should definitely check it out.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just played through City of the Damned: Apocalypse, holy moley! I loved it, such a cool concept for a Doom TC. I feel like there's more depth and cool world building than a lot of commercial indie games out there. The moon shelter mechanic was also really rad.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Then again I'm biased because gently caress brutal doom.

Why is Brutal Doom so controversial? Is it because it’s so popular that it overshadows other mods that may be just as good or better, or is SgtMark a jerk? I think it’s fun and spices up old megawads for new playthroughs.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yikes! Thanks for the info on BD. Sad to hear the guy is a racist, and it sucks that there’s such a poo poo fan base associated with it!

I think it’s fun, but I’ll never begrudge you wonderful people if it’s not compatible with your maps/mods :)

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Gotta quote all this stuff in one post or you'll just take the last thing said out of context it seems.

I appreciate all the clarification provided over the last page. I honestly don’t know anything about the culture of popular Doom mod devs, and it’s nice to have to some context on how the bigger dogs affect the culture. Honestly, even though I like BD, I’d be happier supporting someone who isn’t an outright shithead, and if people vouch for Brutality’s dev, that’s good enough for me to switch over.

After all, it’s just about shooting pixel demons. There’s no reason to be a petty, racist vindictive piece of poo poo over this stuff.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I know it's not exactly an Early FPS, or even 2.5D... or even a shooter, but I'm really enjoying SOMA.
Only an hour or so in, and it feels very much like a System Shock game. Super-great atmosphere. They did a great job making industrial environments look pretty and interesting.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why, why, WHY did I wait so long to play DUSK eps 2 & 3??? I’m just blown away, what an incredibly fun and satisfying game. I wish more shooters would display such imagination in their level designs.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The day will come when Doom mapmaking will be officially enshrined in the hallowed halls of Dad Hobbies alongside Brewing, Breadmaking, Gardening and Leaning Into The Open Hood of a Car and Swearing.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

I played a demo of ZPC.

Same. Found the gameplay to be super weird, but the intro was rad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98vuEmgYm9k

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
My favorite memory from 90’s PC Gaming was the demo discs. All these new cool games to look forward to that you had no idea existed.

Talking contemporary “retro” games, holy poo poo is Cultic good. I bounced off it initially because the first music track grated on me, and I was put off by how compressed the colors are. Glad I gave it another shot because the combat feels so fun and punchy. Really nice atmosphere, too. What a time to be playing games, it really feels like we’re getting some incredible stuff from solo devs/small teams.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 9, 2023

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Cultic is really fun but that slippery rear end footing bumps it down below the best for me. It’s definitely authentic to a retro shooter vibe that you’re taking your life in your hands any time you have to climb stairs, but that doesn’t mean I like it.

yeah the stairs are a bummer. I spent more time looking at the steps as I walked up, only to get blasted in the cheeks by some pistol goons. Still, a very fun game that isn't afraid to give you lots of dynamite.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

One guy! One loving guy! And not like a Chris Sawyer situation (pbuh) where he had some help on graphics and sounds and stuff but the music, sounds and art assets too. That tune in the final part of the mine town might be my favorite

It's staggering! My quibble with the first song is ridiculous, considering how effective everything else is. The tense music that kicks in when you first meet a harvester reminded me of Splatterhouse. Really amazing that one guy brought all these vibes together in one game.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nightmare Reaper is pretty fun, reminds me of the Aeons of Death mod for DOOM, mixed with like, Total Carnage. Really chaotic, all the weapons feel super-powerful and dangerous. My only gripe is that it's very hard to see where the enemies are with all the particle effects flying around. Enemy silhouettes are pretty hard to read, too. The simple pixel style is kind of neat, feels a bit like your character is drawing these monsters herself. maybe she is? I'm not very far in.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
the retro games you play to unlock upgrades? Yeah I don't really enjoy them. It's a neat idea to try and make as much of the game dietetic, but that super mario upgrade process just feels like a time tax.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn’t like Eternal as much as 2016. Too much story and “lore”, less is more! 2016 shot an arrow to my heart when doomguy was like “nope don’t care got killing to do”.
It’s okay if you like the story bits, but I think doomguy belonging to an order of space knights is kinda dumb.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Volte posted:

This never happened and I will be yelling this from the rooftops until my dying day

Okay I guess you could read him shoving the screen away during exposition as inchoate rage, but to ~meeeee~ it also read as “shut up, don’t care”.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think both can be true!

That’s what’s great about sparse storytelling, less allows the player to fill in the gaps with their imagination. Its the parts of the monster that you don’t see that are the best/scariest.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
y'all have convinced me. Recalling 2016's plot beats, it's true that there are fewer and fewer dismissive actions by doomguy as the story goes on. I still choose to read the early interactions as 'gently caress you gently caress your exposition' because that's the fun I want to see. It tracks that the devs want you to at least sort of care about the plot, because Eternal is stuffed with it!

fwiw, I really dislike the marvel/deadpool winking-at-the-camera stuff that you referenced. It was just refreshing to see doomguy react the way I felt: 'yeah yeah I know, demons, you idiots did it again let me start cleaning this mess up'.

On the topic of old DOOM mods: does anyone remember an earlier version of Simpsons DOOM, where the animations were cruder, and all the voice samples were super long? Nothing quite like opening a door and hearing the alert bark of twelve Moes saying "I'm gonna shove a sausage down your throat and stick starving dogs up your butt!" I think Barney/Pinkie would also say "it fell in the toilet" every time he died. I have not been able to find it, and the lovely animations and rough sounds make the whole experience more surreal and funny than the slightly more polished mod.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

I never understood the Doom 2016 trashing it's own plot idea. Like, that never happened in that game that I recall. There's like, 2 places specifically where Doomguy cuts someone off or destroys something ignoring someone, and both times it's with Samuel Hayden, and it's when he's trying to justify the current situation and trying to preserve the status quo with the argent doohickey that he breaks. Those don't read as "shut up I wanna go kill more demons" they read as "gently caress you this is your fault." Every interaction between them shows he HATES Hayden. He pushed the screen away because he didn't want to hear his excuses, and he breaks the thing because Hayden says "be careful with the thing it's used to harvest argent energy it's irreplaceable" "oh if this broke you wouldn't be able to summon demons anymore whoops my boot fell on it repeatedly". Hell, in the opening Hayden is like "this was for the betterment of mankind" and the camera looks very pointedly at a corpse on cue, Doomguy clenches his fist and punches the controls. It's all extremely obvious "Doomguy mad about demons and won't compromise on destroying them" not "lol lmao gently caress plot shoot man's"

Edit: tldr Doom 2016 absolutely cares about it's own plot for better or worse. (I like the plot but I do wish the cutscenes were skippable)

I'll just say one more thing about this, the fact that it's such a pervasive idea clearly indicates there is something there. Like I said, I think you're all correct that the intended read is "doomguy hates Hayden", but 2016 has so many loving references to the legacy games, and goes lengths to imply that all DOOM content is in the same universe. Since the game is inviting more of a genre-conscious experience, I think people can be forgiven for thinking 2016 is poking fun at itself. We're just splitting hairs on whether doomguy is mad at the characters, or mad that he's having to relive this story over and over.

On another topic, I loved CULTIC, I should play Blood Deathwish next, right?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Malcolm Excellent posted:

They don't really play like each other imo, but blood is cool as hell

It's been a long time since I played BLOOD. Like pre-sourceport days. The Steam release by Nightdive is good, yea?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I heard this ad come on the radio I thought I was getting a Doom movie. 10 year old me was HYPED

https://youtu.be/VyOgCiVfHt4

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
rushing in pages late to exclaim, "Holy poo poo, myhouse.pk3!!!!!!"

What a pleasant and wonderful series of surprises, so many moments had me grinning.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cultic is very generous with explosives. Chucking some TNT is always a good opening gambit.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bumhead posted:

The original is on discount at the minute too. Anyone got any positive impressions? It sure looks nice.

I need to give the first one another shot. I found it kinda boring after about 15 mins.

Supplice looks great. I think single player FPS games are as popular as ever, it’s just that there are so many more options for people who play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nightdive plz make BLOOD action figures, my work desk is crying out for burlap cultists.