Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I can finish both Doom 1 and Doom 2 on Ultraviolence without problem but I can't beat Thy Flesh Consumed on that difficulty :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I bought it because I've never played the expansions. The beach one feels like some total conversion, it's silly.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ugh, I loved UT99 and UT2k4 even more so but UT3 and every Epic game after that has been terrible. I don't have high hopes for a new UT :(

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Far too excited about tuesday now...

I thought they said Thursday?

And the reason all the recent arena style shooters failed to gain traction is because they sucked.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing Soldier of Fortune lately and apart from some hilariously bad textures it still holds up.

I can handle some blurry, low res texture in my old FPS games but in some misguided effort to make them not so blurry they added an awful filter to everything which is especially noticeable in the Kosovo levels. It almost looks like a stock Photoshop burlap filter applied to everything.

And the game is either not as violent as I remember or I've been desensitized.

Shame SoF2 doesn't work on Win7.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

Sof2 works fine on Win7, I played it literally yesterday. Payback doesn't, but who gives a gently caress about Payback. I will say that I liked SoF1 a lot more than the sequel, it feels a lot faster and the smaller levels make the save restrictions hurt way less.

I can never launch it. Always give me an error.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Dominic White posted:

I mentioned this in the Steam general thread, but the new Wolfenstein is looking pleasingly old-school. I'd somehow avoided all gameplay footage of it until last night, when I checked Youtube. The devs seem confident enough in it to stream the entire first hour of the game completely uncut and uncommentated and let it speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzV6B6oF7c

It only takes a few minutes before it starts looking like RTCW 2014. Old-school numeric health and armor gauges with pickups for both, lots of chunky and loud guns (and you can carry 10+ at once), and seemingly decent range of enemy types. It's unmistakably a Wolfenstein game. Kinda looking forward to it now.

I still think it looks really slow paced.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Dominic White posted:

It looks about the same as the previous two Wolfensteins to me (and I replayed them quite recently), which were more 'slowly angle round corners while holding down the trigger' shooters, rather than Doom-style circle-strafing madness. A single grunt could take off a third of your health in a second in RTCW's hard mode.

I was playing RTCW yesterday and I was running around like an idiot blasting dudes and kicking doors in and also kicking switches to activate them. I don't hide behind things and take pot shots. And it works!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Doom 4 was never going to be as good as the first or even 3 due to the market preferring bad shooters but this just confirms it. They don't even know what to do with the game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
People like to say games like Painkiller and Serious Sam and Hard Reset are throwbacks to Doom but they really aren't. Those are just straight up shooting galleries.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The best introduction to Doom is D!Zone.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm taking the safe route in assuming the new Doom is total trash and bad in every possible way until I play it myself. There's no way they can make it as good as the originals.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So here's a kind of dumb question!

I like how the PS1 version of Quake 2 looks because it's sharper and has more colors. The PC version is too brown and orange and blurry. Is there a mod or source port that can make it look like the PS1 version? I could just play that one but the controls make it impossible.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Meowbot posted:

I'm not sure if you've actually played them side by side but the PC version still looks better.

I just loaded both of them up and took a screenshot in the same location. Here's PC with everything on max using knightmare

Here's the PS1 version in an emulator

The geometry is simpler and the textures worse but it has more color and I like how it looks more than the PC version. It also has new areas to make up for the smaller zones. Too bad the controls are awful. Double Stick mode is Move forward/backward and look left/right on left stick, strafe and look up/down on right which is awful. It can be changed so that right stick is look and the D-Pad is move/strafe but then jump is L2 and shoot is L1 which is even weirder.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Kamrat posted:

You could always boot up the game in an emulator and re-map the controls to your liking.

I dunno man that sounds like effort. Also I play multiple games on this emulator and I don't wanna have to keep messing around with the controller config. And I'd rather just use mouse+keyboard anyway. Though the PS1 Q2 supports mouse.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

http://quake2xp.sourceforge.net/?p=117 There is this sourceport that looks less orange and has bigger textures, but a lot of the issue is just that Id wanted the game to be orange as gently caress.

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem that much different from Knightmare. I'll either use that or software mode then :shobon:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I decided to try running vanilla Quake 2 in software mode

:sparkles:

edit: I found a program that fixes this but it crashes whenever I go in water. I guess I'll stick with GL.

Quake 1 doesn't have this issue!

Overbite fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 3, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

At least with the fan patch, software mode works fine for me, and I'm on Win 8.1 and using an AMD processor

I couldn't find a way to enable software with the Knightmare port so I used "ShamHawke's Lazy Quake 2 Patcher" which just enables higher resolutions and the music.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had such troubles getting dark forces to run well I just got the ps1 version.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I really hope Doom 4 is more like Doom and less like Serious Sam and nothing like Brutal Doom.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just tried Demonsteele and I think this is what I was missing in Doom all this time. It's like an empty part of my soul was just filled. Also it has the Marathon shotgun so A+ good effort.

is there a map pack for this thing or does it just drop into existing wads? It's not that good in Doom 2 because there isn't enough room for dashing and launching in these cramped maps.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

5'10" is short? :( I'm 5'6" and just today was wondering if I was considered short. I guess so.

Goons recommended Scythe 2 to me, and I'm absolutely loving it. There are a few issues with it, and a lot of parts can be skipped entirely due to jumping or just walking through barriers that are spaced too far apart, but I just chalk that up to you playing as an awesome bad-rear end :black101:

I'll try that one, thanks :beerpal:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I tried but couldn't get into the Shadow Warrior reboot. The sword combat felt real clunky and I didn't like it, and I could never figure out how to get a good star rating. I'd do specials and everything and get 2 stars, and in another encounter I'd shoot a barrel and blow everyone up and get 4.

Also while I'm here, dumb question: How do I do that hand to hand or DBZ crap and those taunt things in Demonsteele? I can only figure out the sword specials.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

TerminusEst13 posted:

The hand-to-hand DBZ power is the BFG. On the pick-up message, it says Use Inventory to activate, so whatever button you have bound to Activate Item (I think it defaults to Enter, if you haven't changed it) and then go super saiyan.

Also, taunt things? I'm not sure I understand, sorry. If you're playing in Zandronum, there's already a taunt button, but it just plays a sound clip. If you're referring to the idle animations, then you just need to be idle for about fifteen seconds or so.

Oh ok, I mistook idle animations for taunts. Thanks!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Thyrork posted:

Hey, Goons who have some spare time, eyeball this and give me your thoughts.

Demonsteele manual

Comments are enabled if you want to highlight anything that needs correcting. I mostly want to know if it helps!

There's a section there about extra configs but I don't have any of those in Zandronum. Is that a Zdoom only thing?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

It is, but all of them can be set with console commands. Custom option menus are still really new in Zdoom, so Zandro isn't getting them for another 3 years.

Thanks a lot. I wanted to mess around with the iron maiden but I never had enough souls.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
You guys might know something about Doom 3. I'm trying to change maps but it just boots me to the main menu and kills the sound. If I try to load anything else or start a new game it crashes.

I've looked online and found lots of other people with this same issue but not one solution. Makes me sad. Anyone know anything about this or where I should ask that would get replies?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

Sounds like a missing map error or something, if you open the console or check the log files they should tell you exactly what's hosed up. You can try reinstalling the game and making sure it's patched and no mods hosed up anything.

Did all that. Mods or no mods it's still broken. From what I remember of the log it said something about shoulders not being found on the joints for the player head or something.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
That's really cool. I was sort of interested in Bombshell mainly because it was made up of Duke scraps, though now I'm interested in the game proper. The shareware is cool too, if the levels are good.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There is nothing about Doom 4 that seems good. They talk like they're trying to recapture what made the original Dooms so good but they're missing all of it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing through the Duke 3D expansions and Duke it out in DC is amazing in how bad it is. That Smithsonian level is the best example of putting more effort into making a believable area than a fun level.

They also skimp on the ammo for the more powerful weapons, they love putting cards in weird spots like in air ducts, and there's too many little switches to look for and hit.

Hopefully Nuclear Winter and Caribbean are better!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm playing Alien Vendetta for the first time and these levels are amazing, if a bit too stingy on ammo.

Unrelated, is it possible to get Aliens TC running on GZdoom? I couldn't get it working.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What have I doooooonnneeee

I wish there was a way to get stuff like this digitally.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

The Kins posted:

The only thing I can recall about Nitro Family is there's some sort of mechanic for cheating on your wife with the weapon shop clerk. I'm sure at least one Serious Engine game has that, just can't remember if it's this one or not.

I know Nitro Family has a weapon shop clerk so it's probably this one.

I just now realize I should have bought Will Rock as well. I remember that one being special.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Heavy Metal FAKK 2 trip report!

Runs great in Windows 10 with no messing about. Getting it to run in 1080p requires a few config file additions but that's easy.

Game starts too slow, lots of running and talking to people, and when the action finally starts it's against swarms of mosquitoes in a barn. Then there's a sort of annoying boss fight. Then more running around and talking to people in the town. That's as far as I got. The demo had more action so I hope it gets better.

Pro tip for people who might pick this up: turn off vertex lighting. It causes a lot of graphic issues, at least on my computer.

Also, Levelord is featured prominently in the opening credits and the song that plays in the main menu is stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS-47U32H3U

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've never played Quake 1 multi :shobon:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
All this Quake talk reminds me I made this papercraft shambler like 6 or 7 years ago and he's still holding up. I was kinda disappointed in it because I didn't make it perfectly but it's held up nicely. Dustily, too.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Is it possible to do stealth in Strife? It has stealth weapons and the first quest guy mentions doing the mission without raising alarms but I can't do a single mission without the NPC I talk to raising an alarm or going through a door that triggers alarms and I just shoot everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thanks for the Strife info. I wasn't expecting too much because of the engine but it seems like it's sort of possible in some situations.