Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving Quake dominated my childhood, I had dialup back than and was never really allowed to play online too much (nor did I understand it too much). So my main death match was playing reaper bots for hours on end. Apparently they were super smart but mostly ran pre-programmed routes, I still got a joy out of camping and just killing them non-stop. So many good Quake maps.

I worshiped the game and beat it on every single difficulty. I should get my copy fired up, the game still looks beautiful to me. I wish I never chopped up the old box to use the sides as bookmarks but the CDcase is still around.

90's FPS' essentially ruled everything -- that was my poo poo, UT, Quake, etc etc. Countless nights with my buddy taking turns playing Unreal Tournament -- we encountered a strange person one night and it's easy to laugh at whenever it's brought up. In Unreal Tournament you could pick a loving cow or something, someone made their character named Bovine Moo and being immature, we thought this was the funniest thing ever. It was 4 in the morning though, so our tired brains were probably weak when I think back. Also Rumpleforeskin sent us into hysteria.

I miss those days. :(

Also, anyone remember Quake C pack? It had poo poo like Xena's disc, grappling hooks, and tons of other little touches modded into the game.

EDIT: This is also one of my most favorite tracks from a video game ever, I haven't heard in a good 10 years or so. This track is so loving heavy, so doom-y, I imagine it was a inspiration for a lot of hate, a lot of black metal. Bring it! ... Wow, Map 30 memories coming back, I used to love this level cause it was non-stop enemies, put on god mode, grab a chain saw and loving bask in the murder of a million demons. \m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbh3ZYuTBDY

HAIL SATAN...!

These games did weird things to me -- maybe that is why I love metal so much now. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doom never gets old, I might fire it up soon (picked up the ID super pack for $29 bucks on Steam). I was playing through Quake and oh man, so much memories. I was playing on hard, although I think I should have went to nightmare. The DarkPlaces mod with music support is so loving good. Brings back so many memories! :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think DooM 2 is the better of the two.

EDIT: But yeah, both are perfection.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are there mods like GZDoom for the Star Wars Dark Forces games? I just picked up the pack on Steam for $13 and wouldn't mind the nice updating of Sprites so it looks the same just in a higher resolution.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My DooM experience was always on PC except for the first game. I did the shareware of course and know most of the levels from DooM 2 but my real experience playing that loving game? On the SNES with the red cartridge. I don't even think you were able to save so I left it on all the time. Made it somewhere in the third episode -- those were good times. :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna try out that Brutal DooM as the old game doesn't present any challenge to me. I wanna get destroyed!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dammit, I can't find this anywhere and want to combine these wads to play together. How do I get GZdoom to load brutal doom plus the new soundtrack? Whenever I launch GZdoom it just loads the regular version plus the graphics enhancements. I have to associate wad files with GZdoom to get them to work. But what about multiple ones?

EDIT: I read something on the page before about dragging and dropping both onto GZdoom, gonna try that. And something in the OP too. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 16, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yodzilla posted:

The weapons have alt-fires? :pwn:

This is the best use of that emoticon. I found that out yesterday using the assault rifle and plinking guys off with headshots.

Also chaingun enemies in DooM 2 scare the gently caress out of me in Brutal Doom, I am moving back to beat DooM again. Ep 1 and 2 down.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hahaha, holy loving poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT72DHBwypM

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just posted this in the PC gaming thread but man... we're all old timers here, CHECK OUT THIS poo poo. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw6BkZ-gdY

And as I said in the other thread, don't be the guy 50 seconds in.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Half Life 2 was bad? Is the sky purple in your universe? Jesus christ, what a terrible opinion.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember at the time I didn't understand how modems or connecting to others worked, so one day I was like, I'LL HOST A GAME. Gave someone the phone number, not knowing anything about ip addresses. He phoned my house with his modem, my parents got a call at 2am from some screechy system.

That wasn't a good day, haha.

I didn't get much multiplayer in back than which might explain why I don't really care for it as an adult. I played with bots most of the time in Quake. Never really getting into MP until I had DSL in 97 and just playing Starcraft.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OneEightHundred posted:

I think things would have gone that direction without it. Much of HL2's face poser functionality was built on a third-party library, a library which had UE2 integration already so clearly its developers thought there'd be a market for it. Doom 3 had a bunch of facial animation stuff as well, and it all works pretty much the same way.

Yeah, but this is the history we have so HL2 did the innovation. Someone could have came earlier but they didn't.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Halls of the Damned, jesus gently caress this level on Ultra-Violence, so many goddamn Pinky demons.

Than they chase you if you accidentally open a closet!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Flannelette posted:

How'd you get hard edges on the wall blood splats?

I'm not too sure, at work now but i'll post a shot of my settings later.

The level is claustrophobic as gently caress tho which might lead to the scaryness. Low ceilings, tiny halls, the one pitch black area where you need night vision and once that poo poo begins flashing you high tail it the gently caress out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No sane person gives a poo poo, jesus.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus christ, save save save save.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

you can add that to your posting career resumè

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just write it here because I am very interested to see why. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Counterpoint: It's not and its gorgeous and everything is perfect in Quake.