Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

catlord posted:

I really like Wolf3D, but it's hard to directly compare it to Doom. They have different game-feels. Doom is much easier to go back to again and again, it's got more variety in possible level layouts and gameplay, but Wolf3D has an elegant simplicity to it. Or at least, I enjoyed it enough to play Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny, the add-ons, and a bunch of mods.

Wolfendoom (The Original Missions) is a pretty cool recreation of Wolf3D in Doom from what I remember. It also has a bunch of other campaigns based on the Wolf3D assets but using regular Doom level design. Also it was created by this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Far Cry Primal was easily my favourite Far Cry game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That looks like a problem I was having with VLC when I was trying to play 1080p videos in fullscreen when my TV was running at 720p and it wasn't resampling properly

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The face cam was (as far as I know) introduced in Catacomb 3D where it was your health bar - it turned more and more into a skull based on how hurt you were. It was probably kept in Wolf 3D and Doom because it was cool. That was pretty much the reason anything was in any early id game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My grandpa and I played the poo poo out of the Hugo trilogy and Nitemare 3D when I was a kid.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Retro gaming finally came full circle and now it's just gaming again

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Duke3D's graphics (like many shooters from that era) always seemed lacklustre to me, like downscaled photographs as opposed to pixel art, and the colour palette seems washed out. In Doom, most of the art has sharp details that don't look resampled which helps separate it from many of its contemporary peers. Nothing says "mid 90s" like downsampled photographs converted to 256 colours.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Not that I've ever made a real attempt to play the full game on Nightmare, but there is an interesting difference in that monsters attack way more predictably due to the "fast monsters" mode. They'll pretty much just spam their attack forever from the moment they can see you as long as you're in their line of sight, so even though it's punishingly hard, there are specific points where you'll always get the same barrage of projectiles/hitscan spam coming at you, and you can get the patterns down to avoid them.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm loving Dusk. I'm going real slow to get every secret and learn every map. I really love the aesthetic but I can't decide on whether I want to play with bilinear filtering or not. It reminds me of Half-Life with in on, and Quake with it off. The pixelization filter is cool too but it suffers from bad aliasing problems because of the high resolution textures. It would be nice to be able to adjust the texture resolution separately.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I tried the upscales and they're impressive and surprisingly hard to notice unless you do side-by-side comparisons. It's hard to call it more detailed though because the neural networking isn't actually constructing new details. As a starting point for an artist, though, the potential is huge. The Cacoward image looks great.

These 2x images could also look good if combined with material maps (someone started doing it for the original assets although in a very flat-looking way: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/100298-pbr-for-original-doom-textures/). I think the biggest potential to improve how Doom looks is in the lighting.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Valve had like maybe five years to follow up HL2:Ep2 without it being some retro throwback thing. Even if they did release HL3, they let the relevance fade into nostalgia so there's basically no chance for them to make a lasting impact and continue the legacy. It doesn't help that Half-Life's story is pretty generic and it was really the gameplay and narrative style that made it stand out at the time. Nowadays, that kind of gameplay is so standard that a less story-driven experience would be considered either lacklustre or retro.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mostly just replay hl2 roughly once a year because it's still a banger and don't ever give any thought to the possibility of a sequel
I've replayed it a few times in the past five years and I always have to slog through the vehicle parts (especially the loving boat) and by the time Nova Prospekt--my favourite part--is over, I've had my fill. A lot of the physics puzzles really seem like tech demo material. I think the gravity gun really did the game a disservice by making the novel tech of the day such a major part of the gameplay. Timelessness was never a possibility.

I didn't play HL1 until 2004 (I bought it the same day as Doom 3) but I'd agree that it is a far more memorable game even though it was basically a retro nostalgia game when I first played it. HL2 felt like it was heralding a new era of gaming but we're like three eras later now so that aspect of it doesn't really do anything for me now.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I was working on a Doom 2 map this morning and became frustrated with trying to work on detail in a room that's not aligned to the X and Y axes. So I spent most of the day hacking up GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix a little bit to let me align the grid to an arbitrarily rotated or translated coordinate space. Demo: https://i.imgur.com/hNEJa29.mp4

My fork is here: https://github.com/volte/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix (rotation branch)
I was also asked to implement it for Doom Builder X: https://github.com/volte/doombuilderx

I made pull requests for each.

Volte fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 13, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Which lets you build maps easier and align verts right? GZDB or DBX?
Yeah, it helps with making regularly sized/aligned geometry that's not on the map grid. I implemented it for both GZDB and DBX (basically just copied and pasted from one to the other) - the two links in my post are the source code to my forks of both GZDB and DBX.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mierenneuker posted:

It also did monster closets before Doom 3, because the amount of times it opens up a little hidey hole in an area behind you is astonishing.
Monster closets are a staple of Doom 1 and 2

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Despite his hubris, Romero is a legendary level designer and if I were to rank my favourite Doom and Doom 2 maps, I would probably put all of Romero's at the top. There was nobody else at id who even came close. Sandy's maps are hit-or-miss, but he still has some good stuff. I've always liked The Citadel and Monster Condo especially, and they'd probably be at the top of the non-Romero pile. For some reason I don't care for American McGee's maps. They look polished but ultimately they just come off as a bunch of hallways.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Flannelette posted:

even then its just better shadows, lighting and real reflections so hardly a massive jump
I think you're underestimating how huge path-traced lighting is going to be for art direction. It's not just a matter of flipping a switch on existing games and expecting them to look better. It's also a matter of artists being able to use lighting in ways that were never possible before.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TOOT BOOT posted:

Vulkan doesn't seem like a big deal, to the best of my knowledge I only own 2 games that support it.
Unreal Engine and Unity can both target Vulkan.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the ray tracing demo is just a harbinger of the much bigger (ongoing) GPU compute revolution. It's not just a shift to better reflections - it's a shift to a fundamentally different way of generating images which also happens to allow new techniques such as path tracing to be used, and in turn, lets GPU manufacturers provide non-rasterization-oriented hardware acceleration features of which raytracing is one. The cool part of the Q2 demo to me isn't that the reflections are good or whatever, but that the image being rendered at 60fps is being generated completely outside of the traditional vertex/fragment rasterization pipeline model. That's a big deal in terms of potential, probably on par with the switch from the fixed-function to programmable pipelines in the first place. And even though fully ray-traced games are probably awhile away for consumers, I'm sure enterprising renderer devs will figure out ways to use it in conjunction with traditional rendering pipelines in ways that can scale back gracefully. Even as a way to compute dynamic AO in world space it could be interesting. I will personally be glad when SSAO and its weird dark halos are things of the past.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cat Mattress posted:

I remember seeing a very old interview (I think of Romero) about what Quake was going to be (ca. when teasers about it appeared in Commander Keen, before Doom was even developed) and the plan was melee combat against damage spongey enemies (the quote was something like "when you fight a guy, you'll really have to wail on him for a while" or something to that extent) and I'm very very glad they completely changed their plans a few times during development, because the Quake we got is so much better than the Quake they originally planned.
That interview is in the back of the Doom II Official Strategy Guide. I read that interview many times as a kid. I found a (partial?) transcript of it on this page (Ctrl-F for "ed dille").

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Doom 3 tried really hard to be cinematic and tell a story which was the very opposite of the thing that made Doom so timeless. Cinematic horror games lose a lot of their lustre if you play them in the middle of the day with the TV on.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Does WadSmoosh let you play the entire thing continuously or do you still have to start a new game between "episodes"? I'd love to do a playthrough of the entire series with DoomRLA but I don't really want to start from scratch after every episode.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The least abstract city map in Doom 2, "Downtown", is also one of the shittiest and has almost zero flow or direction whatsoever. I love abstractness in level design and one of the biggest downfalls of Doom 3 was the fact that utilitarian military installations are boring to look at and boring to walk around in by design. I would much rather walk around in a place called "Refueling Base" that contains no fuel, no vehicles, no machinery of any kind, and no apparent way in or out but has lots of fun encounters than play seven maps called "Delta Labs" that, sure enough, are a bunch of labs connected by corridors.

edit: I'm making my way (slowly) through The Surge right now because it was super cheap and it has a loosely Souls-like gameplay loop, but god drat every single area looks identical, and many of the areas are pitch black. It's a very "realistic" environment in that it takes place in a military complex and, at least in the first few areas, is basically limited to looking like one. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing Doom 3 Souls. When I'm in the game it's fun enough, but when I'm not playing it, I can't even remember what any of the areas look like other than metal railings and crates. It's the opposite of memorable.

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Romero was probably the only great mapper who worked on any of the original maps, and he had a serious advantage considering he literally wrote the map editor and most of the gameplay-related engine code so everything was able to coalesce around his singular vision. In a way Doom Episode 1 is the original Doom and the other two episodes are expansion packs made by an outside hire after Romero realized he couldn't possibly do two more episodes in time.

Romero also made all the best maps in Doom 2 and in general I would say all of the classic user-made maps, especially from the 90s, either willfully or subconsciously channel everything that was great about his maps in terms of architecture and design. Sandy Petersen's maps range from lovely (Downtown, Nirvana) to great (Citadel, Courtyard, Factory, Monster Condo) but none of them come off as expertly crafted the way Romero's do. There's no real characteristic style to imitate because his maps are just a grabbag. And American McGee's are well architected, but I'm not sure they're particularly fun to play. Whenever I play through Doom 2 I look forward to getting through the slog of the first six maps. I'm not sure if that's because, being the first six maps, I've played them more than the later maps, but I think it's because they just aren't really that fun. The Gantlet is really the only one that I think is fun. The rest of them (particularly The Waste Tunnels and The Crusher) just seem tedious to me. I dunno how much level design he did in the Alice games but I wish he had some of that juju when he worked at id.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can I just say one thing? These graphics alone, the bloom, the effects... those are fine. I have no problem with them, despite nothing really standing out, art-wise.

The problem is that Doom and Doom 2's levels were so weird and abstract, and for the graphics at the time, that worked. It was no problem. I'm in a refueling base? Of course, I'm in a refueling base. Hangar? Sure! There's an open area where I'm sure aircraft would land (despite the only entrances to it hidden behind secrets). Makes sense that the Toxic Refinery has a huge pool of green slime near the beginning, let's just forget about the weird, near-empty dark room just a little ways away. Who cares? It's fun and it's fast!

When you go hyper-realistic like this, you can't just go halfway (meaning just the graphics); you'd really need to redo the levels, and at that point, you're that much less like Doom, and are pretty much just your own thing.
I think it's possible to pull it off and maintain the abstractness. The main problem is that the people who make HD texture packs think HD means "lots of high frequency noise overlaid on top of the simplistic shapes and details of the original textures", often by literally just adding a noise filter to them in Photoshop. That kind of texture is not well suited to the ultra-low detail map geometry. If the textures were well art-directed and actually complemented the style of the geometry I think it could look pretty good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm having fun with Blood but I'm save scumming constantly and I even reload if I feel that I could have done something cooler to clear out a room. It would be fun if it could record a demo of my playthrough that gets saved in the save file so at the end I'd have an automatic TAS run with whatever cool tricks I reloaded a million times to pull off.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the pile of bullshit monsters spawning behind you while you're already fighting seems like its very true to doom 3. the map design doesnt look like its the greatest, but the project looks pretty impressive.

also im struggling in blood on Well Done and thinking of taking the cowards way out and dropping the difficulty.
I'm playing on Lightly Broiled, which seems more balanced to me. Well Done seemed to have a much higher enemy density without more ammo to compensate.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The problem is where actual retro shooters tried to look as modern as possible, many modern retro shooters try to look as lovely as possible, often while still making use of tons of deferred rendering tricks and advanced post-processing. When you walk past a pixellated wall in Doom, you can still get the sense of the texture it's abstractly trying to represent. When I see the shiny normal mapping on those rock(?) textures in that Nightmare Reaper video, it no longer looks like an abstract representation of a rock wall. It looks more like a realistic representation of a lumpy cube covered in slime.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wonder why Romero has never made any maps for Doom II. The "too many Cacodemons" problem is common for Doom 1 maps because it's literally the only non-boss enemy stronger than a pink demon. I don't really have that much fun playing Doom 1 no matter how great the maps may be because the main gameplay loop is either shooting small trash enemies one-by-one with a shotgun or chipping away at the two bullet sponge enemies, demon and cacodemon. Having the SSG also means that Doom II maps can be less sparing on tougher enemies without the map turning into a slog.

The GZDoom renderer settings that guy is using for that review look absolutely terrible so I'm going to reserve judgement on how it actually looks until I see it running under Crispy Doom.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cat Mattress posted:

He has:
  • MAP11: Circle of Death
  • MAP15: Industrial Zone
  • MAP17: Tenements
  • MAP20: Gotcha!
  • MAP26: The Abandoned Mines
  • MAP29: The Living End
I meant since then. Every map he made post-Doom II was either for Ultimate Doom episode 4, or a custom episode 1 map.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If my point wasn't clear, it's that Romero has now released 11 additional maps for Doom 1 (13 if you count the ones in Ep4) after Doom II came out, and zero for Doom II. I wonder why that is.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

That looks way better with palletted/software rendering than it did in that Gman video. The Doom palette lighting ramp has a desaturating effect that's super important to the way the environments read, especially in low light. I've found that without a lot of tweaking, GZDoom's lighting looks extremely dull and flat and it becomes hard to see any contrast at all in low light.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's zero chance of any 90s-era game looking good fully ray-traced without actual artists re-art-directing the entire game from the ground up. If they wanted anyone to care about this beyond being a cool tech demo, they should have worked with some modders to make some new RTX-specific content to actually show what's possible.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I just finished E5M5 and I never thought I would have this much fun with a Doom 1 episode. I haven't found the lighting to be too dark. Dim, yes, but at no point have I not been able to see the enemies I'm fighting. The background is pitch black a lot of the time, but generally you can see the traversable areas. I'm playing on UV and I haven't noticed ammo being a problem as much as health. I have a few ground rules: never use rockets for anything other than Barons of Hell (and even then there have been a couple that were easily dispatched with a berserk fist), never shoot a Cacodemon or pink demon when you have a chainsaw available, and always try to cause as much infighting as possible. Health is scarce though and I found myself a couple of times with 2% health and nowhere to go except across a hurt floor, forcing me to reload an earlier save.

There also seems to be a bug in E5M4 in the middle path where the rock islands in the lava that raise and lower hurt you even when they are raised (which I think is a limitation of the Doom engine) which made re-traversing that area impossible without dying. Also the crushing ceiling puzzles in that map would have been a million times better if it used the non-fatal crushers instead of the insta-kill variant.

E5M5 has been my favourite map so far I think. It reminds me of a hellish version of MAP15 which is one of my favourite Doom II maps. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the levels later tonight.

edit: I'm really digging the MIDI soundtrack but I just checked and Buckethead's Sigil soundtrack is on Spotify, so I might have to give it another playthrough with that playing.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 1, 2019

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Depending on your point of view, GZDoom is a third-party engine.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've read peoples' nostalgic descriptions of playing Doom 1 where they talk about moving slowly through dark rooms, jumping at every noise, just generally feeling terrified, which I've never been able to relate to at all since to me Doom has always been about running at like 50 kph through huge groups of enemies and making them kill each other while I'm already exploring the next room. It has tense moments but I've never considered it a horror game or particularly scary. I always thought the core Doom aesthetic is "drat this is badass" and not "drat I poo poo my pants". Doom 2016 really nailed the former but Doom 3 goes pretty hard for the latter, which is probably why I never really liked it that much.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Try it on Nightmare.
That's 10x as hard in the other direction. It becomes insanely fast-paced at that point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Doom wasn't the first 3d game by a long shot but it was probably the first one that actually used architecture as a game design element. Even Ultima Underworld was still a tile-based dungeon crawler at heart.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SCheeseman posted:

Agreed with the colors. GZDoom supports tonemapping to the palette these days so it's possible to replicate the look with the hardware renderer while still benefiting from dynamic lighting effects, it's how I play it in VR.
I've started playing GZDoom using the hardware renderer with the palette tonemap enabled, 640x480 pixel dimension, but bloom and ambient occlusion turned on, and all forms of texture filtering turned off (with the palette tonemap and low pixel resolution, distant textures tend to turn into big blobs of solid colour when filtered). Everything has a bit more depth because of the AO but it never feels like it's outside of the visual realm of the original game.

I also use full mouselook with auto-aim turned off. It find having to aim at a specific point on the screen instead of just rotating to the correct angle place makes the game a lot more engaging. Even though headshots aren't a thing, I still go for them.

Crispy Doom reference image:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Although I was an avid keyboarder for awhile, I always tried to make an effort to use the mouse. The demo loops that came with the game were recorded with the mouse, and the fluidity of the movement was very appealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVq0s1nFt-4

It seems that even during development Romero was using a mouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpEBUV_g9vU&t=1020s