Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

("BioForce Gun" :jerkbag:)

:eng101: This is from the movie, the games never adopted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the Marathon games it's important to keep looking at the map so you can spot paths you haven't taken yet. This is harder in Infinity since there's so much overlapping space it turns into a total rats nest but sometimes it's the best way to have a new idea about where to go.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

Acme Station is incredibly difficult (and crappy) either way, but if you find the SMG on Poor Yorick, the Fusion Pistol on Confound Delivery, and/or the Shotguns on either Poor Yorick or the secret levels Aie Mak Sicur or Two for the Price of One, it'll help out a lot. The Fusion Pistol is the most important; on Confound Delivery, it's sitting in a pit of water where all the Juggernauts are.

But the level is still a crap shoot if you're not familiar with it, since half the time you can get lost and suffocate or get trapped between Cyborgs and get murdered.

Post Naval Trauma has an oxygen tank right at the start of the level, as well as a save point. The recharger isn't until about halfway through. I would definitely save as soon as possible, since dying and having to go back to Acme Station is the worst. It's the double-worst if you didn't find the save on Acme either (it's not in an obvious location).

Also, fun fact: your oxygen drains more quickly when you run, so if you don't know where you're going, you should probably walk. It also drains more quickly when you shoot, but you can't really avoid that. (It also drains more quickly on Total Carnage, which is why Acme Station is so drat difficult on that setting.)

ETA: also, oxygen tanks only fill a half bar, not the entire bar, so you can safely grab one at the halfway mark.

Infinity's Total Carnage difficulty does not gently caress around. It was designed for diehard fans who were already resolved to memorize every level anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's no way right now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the entire game runs at 30 ticks per second, including polling the mouse and updating the player's direction to match it. Frames are generated synchronously and a lot of aspects of the game's "feel" like the player's handling characteristics or the arc an object under gravity follows are implemented with very fragile, messy math full of magic numbers that have been carefully tweaked for 30hz updates.

The Xbox port does pull 60fps, but only because the team was willing to build a brand new renderer from scratch and redo the aforementioned tweaks- and they still didn't quite get there in a lot of places (e.g. grenade hopping is completely hosed and it's a miracle that you can still get into all the secrets that use it). The A1 team doesn't find that acceptable because they don't want the gameplay to change in the slightest and preserving it is a lot harder than it would be in a game that was better written in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cliffyb posted:

return to Na Pali

I see what you did there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Truth be told I think Unreal was pretty terrible and I say that as a big fan of classic FPS games. It was a graphical showcase and a start of a series that eventually produced some really awesome stuff(Unreal Tournament) but Unreal itself was just not good.

The problem with Unreal is that the few levels after the beginning (basically from the mines to the end of the water temple, and not counting the first level) and the few levels at the end (everything in the alien mothership) kinda blow, so it's hard to get into and hard to leave with a good impression. In the middle are some really good bits, especially the colossal sprawling interconnected levels that contain entire towns or structures like the Sunspire or that one with the monastery on top of a mountain.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought the plot of Quake was "id made 3/4 of a fantasy game, then decided it wasn't working and added some tried and true stuff from Doom and a couple of text scrolls to hold it all together".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree with quite a bit of that. You can see the result of the opposite viewpoint in a game like Bulletstorm, which spends a lot time justifying how the planet came to be full of psycho mutants and why you get points for shooting a guy in the rear end and it just feels like deadweight and tonal dissonance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbcXEPHExA

:allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, I forgot how huge the Gears influence was in UT3. Hello, Marcus Fenix. :colbert:

I can't look at that guy without thinking of the edit someone made of a UT3 screenshot where he's Johnny Fiveaces and the subtitles are something about "that loving clock". Unfortunately I didn't save it and GIS only has tiny thumbnail versions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yodzilla posted:

Wasn't the autosaving kinda hosed in Half-Life? I seem to remember something about autosaves weren't persistent and deleted themselves once you turned the game off so they were only used on a per-session basis and you still had to manually save before you turned the game off.

There were a few games that would give you a free save every time you entered a new map (regardless of whether you'd spend five minutes or an hour getting to the next one), but the original Halo for Xbox is the first FPS I can think of that totally excluded the manual save command.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't remember anyone saying anything about ZPC one way or the other except to note that the art was done by the guy who also does KMFDM's album covers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unreal 1's single player is really good, except for the first few maps and the last few maps. As a result, it's hard to get into it and hard to leave it with a good impression. But the levels in between are gigantic and imaginative and absolutely worth playing, it's a great example of a late 90s FPS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

closeted republican posted:

"catch the four Eightball grenades"

This was the most effective way to play Unreal since the AI at the time was unable to dodge them (and it would dodge the normal rockets almost every time).

I love just how many features got crammed into the Eightball. Fire either rockets or grenades, any number between one and six, and with optional guidance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Geight posted:

I believe Turok 2 was the game that benefited the most from the expansion pack thing for the N64, the little red thing you put inside the console itself. What exactly did that do, anyways?

It was a RAM upgrade, more or less. There were a couple of games that wouldn't run without it (most famously Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But what was its MPC level?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PS games are probably streaming audio tracks off the CD during gameplay. It was never the case that cartridges could hold more than disks; a CD held 650MB in those days and the N64 only got up to 128MB carts at the very end of its life, with games like Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I'm not sure why Nintendo stuck with cartridges. Two major advantages, though, are that cartridge load times are practically zero and you don't have to mess with memory cards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xanthan posted:

1. What IS Myst? I hear good things about it but I'm not sure what it is.

It's a legendary adventure/puzzle game that was one of the first to take advantage of a CD's capacity and integrate large amounts of video.

It also looks hilariously dated today but at the time this was a revelation:

quote:

2. If they made a cartridge based console now how much could they actually store on each one?

About as much as you can get on a USB drive or SD card without breaking the bank (and keeping in mind that industrial-scale DVD or BD manufacturing will always be far cheaper). 3DS games range from 1 to 8 GB.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Cartridges are effectively external ROM with the game burned on. The upside was that some really clever developers (like Rare) did all sorts of tricks using the cartridge as RAM memory itself to boost the N64's capabilities.

They went even beyond that and started shipping entire custom-built coprocessors in the cartridges, like the SuperFX chip. The hardware in a stock Super NES cannot run Star Fox, full stop. The only way to pull it off was to build a 3D accelerator into every cartridge, so that's exactly what they did.

Console development used to be worlds apart from PC games, a place where you had both the need and the ability to do crazy poo poo like this because it was fundamentally different down to the lowest level. Nowadays it's more like targeting a PC that was carefully tuned and kitted out for ultimate gaming performance in 2005 and hasn't been upgraded since.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It wasn't totally illogical in the Roberta Williams "use cheesecloth with chandelier" sense, but it still expects you to learn through experimentation and with simple observation usually not telling you much. There are many places where you have to memorize a pattern or sequence in one place and use it in another. Most of the puzzles exist by tying together multiple locations and examining just one of them is baffling. You're meant to go around the islands fiddling with buttons and levers and noticing that they make various sounds or resemble various other parts of the island and put it all together to deduce that e.g. the icons on the posts surrounding the sunken model ship are constellations and you can tell which ones to press by using the list of times and dates you found somewhere else to configure the planetarium. At one point you have to replay a piece of music from memory (or paper) and some people are just innately bad at that. There's an enormous maze which is navigated in the first person with no guidance other than subtle abstract audio cues and any map you might care to draw yourself. I don't agree that it was badly designed, but it comes from an era where demanding that the player put all the effort into extracting information from the game wasn't the taboo it is today and it's not even going to put up a "you should probably start here" indicator.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 27, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The DS3 weapon crafting system is really well done, it's a shame that it had to have the paid DLC mixed in and also a shame about the rest of the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nope. The last weapon in the base game is the Soul Cube that you get in Hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that should work. You should be able to trigger one on each side of you and deal with them, then move on and engage the contents of the room with no one sneaking up behind you.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

0 rows returned posted:

I'm replaying the Marathon series and they must have changed something in aleph one because I no longer get motion sickness from playing it. Also the change in graphical fidelity from m1 to m2 is amazing.

The Xbox version was specifically tweaked to help with that, but if you're on the computer version I'm not sure what would have changed. Maybe the horrible mouse input code has been improved recently.

The jump from 2 to Infinity is also a drastic improvement IMO, but not so much through tech as through more realistic art direction that has always appealed to me more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Chumps play Serious Sam by endlessly backpedaling. Real men play the game like Doom, rarely leaving the thick of battle. Dispatching 50 or 60 Kleer with nothing but a point-blank double-barreled shotgun is like a ballet; the enemies are dangerous but rhythmic (and thus predictable).

Good luck doing that with kamikazes involved, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A map only helps when you don't support room-over-room. Some of the levels in Marathon 2 and especially Infinity are utterly incomprehensible on the map view.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

What are you talking about? :confused: Marathon maps are perfectly legible.

What level is this? Is it from a scenario?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 2, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They were probably planning Doom 2 for iOS at the time and never got around to it for whatever reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A 2.5D game is one which treats one dimension differently from the others. The elements of the map will be arranged in two dimensions and have the third assigned to them in a different manner, like how in Doom every vertex has only 2 coordinates and the height of the floor is a property of the sector. Whereas in a true 3D engine like Quake or Ultima the vertices are positioned in all three dimensions and there is no fundamental split between floors and walls; they're both simply consequences of where the surfaces defined by the vertices lie and the floor is only special in that gravity points toward it and the camera is aligned to keep it on the bottom of the screen.

Ultima's hosed up textures were most likely a result of taking shortcuts with the perspective calculation while rasterizing the view; the underlying geometry was still 3D.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The PSX had a minuscule amount of RAM, much less than Doom's original PC requirements, so that's probably the limiting factor here. Hangar must have been just a smidge over the limit, so it received minor tweaks and simplifications and made the cut. The other missing maps must have been so much further beyond the PSX's capability that they would have had to have been completely redesigned.

Icon of Sin would then have been cut because it uses every type of monster in the game and the PSX couldn't have loaded them all at once.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I last played Hexen about fifteen years ago and I hadn't remembered all the things that annoyed me about it until those marvelous posts, so gently caress you, you awesomely eloquent person.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I really miss games where the scale of the architecture is completely cockeyed. I want it to take five minutes to walk to that temple in the distance and when I get there all the ceilings are 30 feet high for no reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

0 rows returned posted:

Were you the one that removed the Pathways Into Darkness minilevel at the beginning of Arrival? I was a little sad to see it gone.

It wasn't part of the original :colbert:

And that puzzle was so annoying that the developer responsible put a hidden apology into a future game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best part of Lunicus was the five-minute caching process it went through before each level while your 2X CD-ROM drive copied a massive 40MB of data to your hard disk (after you confirm that this will not make your computer explode).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Borderlands has the good sense to be gleefully over-the-top about everything you do, which takes most of the sting out of repetition.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most of the games mentioned in this thread that ever ran on a Mac at all and haven't been ported won't run on a modern Macintosh; you need an emulator even there. OS X isn't backwards compatible to 10+ years the way Windows is; the Classic environment and support for running PPC apps on Intel hardware were removed several versions ago. So unless your dad's Macbook is a good 4 or 5 years old, just download Sheepsaver.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

Fantastic! Good to hear the source still exists, even if it's not openly available. Kind of funny to see the old System 7 fonts on modern OSX dialogue boxes.

Any chance of a Windows port? I'm guessing not, since this was always a Mac thing, but it never hurts to ask.

If a Windows port happens, it won't be done by me (not my specialty), so without a more liberal source release that's pretty unlikely. Right now the game is about 80% platform-agnostic gameplay code, 10% easily portable OpenGL/OpenAL invocation, and 10% OS X GUI.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If anyone ever figured out who did own it, the adopter would be liable for an awful lot of money. There's no equivalent to salvage in IP law; things don't go into the public domain until the rights owner says so or the rights can be positively proven to have expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tiger Schwert posted:

The machine gun fires bullets rapidly.
The shotgun fires buckshot, which is effective at short range but loses effectiveness the further out you go.
The plasma gun shoots plasma.
The grenade launcher shoots grenades.
The rocket launcher shoots rockets.
The railgun uses magnetic rails (?) to shoot a high-power hitscan slug towards your foe.

The BFG is sort of a rapid-fire hitscan rocket launcher.
The lightning gun is basically identical to the one in Quake 1, except I think it did knockback.