Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just want to mention that WGRealms 2 (as mentioned above) is amazing, and also a FULL STANDALONE GAME. It's also basically a 'greatest hits of 2.5d shooters' megamix of sorts, with content and features from Doom, Duke, Hexen and others.

On top of that, here's a much better/newer trailer.

It's ace and you should all download it. Just be warned - the polymer renderer is only for people with beefy manly-man computers. With it, you get fancy per-pixel coloured lighting effects. Without it, just classic old-school style.

The combat is really surprisingly tactical. You're given a whole ton of weapon and tools, and need to really apply them all. you can't just switch to the minigun, hold fire and waltz through the level. Enemies are FAR faster and more aggressive than their Doom equivalents too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Is it just me, or is WGR2 incredibly bastard hard? I'm having a lot more trouble with it than I did with War of Attrition.

It's definitely not easy. I wouldn't recommend anything above difficulty level 2. Once you've got the hang of it, you can chew through armies of enemies in minutes, though. Almost all your weapons are terrifyingly powerful.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh yeah, on the subject of free standalones, perhaps Freedoom should get a mention? Started as a project to work as a generic, non-copyright-infringing 'placeholder' WAD file for modern Doom source-ports, it's basically a whole Doom clone in its own right now and fully compatible with most (if not all) mods and maps.

It's pretty useful if you want to host a multiplayer game in Skulltag or some other Doom-derivative, but not everyone has a full copy of Doom 2. They can join in with Freedoom, although some textures might look a bit weird, and monster sprites are pretty janky.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One of the coolest things AvP did was pattern itself after Goldeneye, in terms of progression/structure. Play a level on easy mode, and you just need to run to the end of the level and you've won, hurrah! On the highest setting, you'll have multiple objectives scattered around, horribly limited resources, tons of aliens constantly hunting you and generally all the odds stacked against you. It really gives the game a surprising amount of replay value.

Edit: Oh yeah, one small, fixable problem with the Classic 2000 version: Due to licensing issues somewhere along the way, they had to replace all the original cheesy-good FMV bits with cheesy-bad ones made by the Rebellion crew. British programmers trying to sound like gruff American marines does not work out well.

Here's the original videos.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 29, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

treat posted:

I've been Playing The Ultimate Torment and Torture, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the difference between each of the 3 classes aside from the obvious difference in total health/starting weapon. Is scout the class for the hardcore player, or is there some other benefit I'm missing?

Class affects acceleration and top speed as well. The scout is definitely a better dodger.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Are there mods like GZDoom for the Star Wars Dark Forces games? I just picked up the pack on Steam for $13 and wouldn't mind the nice updating of Sprites so it looks the same just in a higher resolution.

There's a Dark Forces/Outlaws source-port nearing completion at the moment. Not quite done yet, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't know, I thought the complete mess of Imps and their Cyberdemon friend on the last map were a little unfair. :(

I IDKFA'd and tried just emptying infinite BFG ammo into that swarm. I still died about a dozen times.

Give me Deus Vult 2 any day of the week.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It really cannot be understated how good Brutal Doom is. While it seems to initially hinge on the concept of XTREME ULTRAVIOLENCE, the balance changes are actually pretty great. The rifle replacing the pistol means you actually have to choose between it and the shotgun early on, and the minigun has its uses even when you have the plasma gun. Stealth-punching is great, the chainsaw is genuinely useful, etc etc. It's all pretty great actually.

Lots of nice little details, like the Spider Mastermind taking almost no damage if you shoot its legs, too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh, sweet! A beta version of Unloved 2 has been released. Currently it only takes you up to the red key, apparently. Unloved was one of my favourite ZDoom campaigns in recent years.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Whoa. Okay, Unloved 2 has amazing sound-work. That, and very clever level design. Just ten minutes in and I'm already looking over my shoulder and jumping at enemies that I've killed a thousand times already.

If you have a 5.1 system, use it. The music/ambience/whatever that is works excellently.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

What do you mean? I haven't noticed anything different about it.

It seems to stunlock enemies a little better and let you strafe around stuff a tad quicker, and it seems to have a mild vampiric effect when on lower health.

Some maps might be designed around the old balance, but they must be very specific levels. And I can't think of many that would force you to use the plasma gun without giving you the minigun either.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

The M16 being semi-auto, in my opinion, made it far less useful.

Even just clicking a couple of times makes it fire about three times faster than the pistol, with twice the accuracy and the potential to one-shot smaller enemies with headshots. It's a huge upgrade.

If it was full auto it'd be overpowered.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Only a handfull of level packs are designed with jumping in mind. Another good one (which includes a bunch of levels from the UT&T guy) is ZPack. Full three-episode run with a couple of new enemies (usually just used as flavour in some levels), but otherwise fully compatible with Brutal Doom. And you'll definitely need to do some jumping and ducking.

There's even some areas with waist-high cover that actually works out pretty well as defense against blobs of minigunners.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Alternatively, Thunderpeak is a standalone version of the best bit of ZPack, if you don't like sorting through the hay to find needles.

Eh, I like most of the ZPack levels. Thunderpeak power plant is particularly impressive though, if a little uniformly brown. I like the one set in a high-tech base where you've actually got fleshy hell-portals in the floors and ceilings that look infinitely deep and spew out cacodemons and pain elementals.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gooch181 posted:

I just finished command control with Brutal Doom and I still cant believe that someone actually made doom doomier. This poo poo rocks.

It really does, doesn't it? I was pretty skeptical about it at first, but pretty much every change and tweak (even the optional 'slowly regenerating health when very injured' module, which solves those 'I have 2hp and there's a zombie around the corner' moments) seems to be for the better. It modernizes things a little, and makes it feel even more solid and... well, Doomish!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sci-Fi Apocalypse posted:

Gzdoom or zdoom. Both support Heretic and Hexen since they are both Doom engine games. I just started playing through Heretic using Gzdoom and it works perfectly.

To elaborate slightly:

GZDoom (latest SVN builds there) is the way to go, unless you're playing online multiplayer. Then you want Skulltag, which is a slightly older build of GZDoom but with much, MUCH better netcode.

Both are good for all Doom-engine games. Doom 1/2, Heretic, Hexen and Strife.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

You could already throw barrels, but there are a couple of new features (use injured imps as shields) and a bunch of bugfixes. It's all good stuff.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

Had a quick google around for Brutal Doom after all the excited chatter here - what's the latest version? There seem to be quite a few different outlets for it.

Just bookmark this thread.. It updates when the mod does.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

Speaking of classic FPSes, I saw the Doom movie the other night. It's a little sad that the thing I mostly remember was that it had a really cool credits sequence.

As an interesting aside, the Brazillian-made Doom mod Legacy of Suffering is inspired by the movie.

It also has a quad-barrel shotgun and is pretty great overall. The text could really use a going-over by a native english speaker, though.

ChuckDHead posted:

I recently picked up the Doom port on the iPhone

Due to John Carmack being old and senile now, he removed the best control method from the in-game menus. Open up the in-game console by pressing four fingers on the screen at once, then type 'tiltturn 4000'. It's infinitely easier to strafe and shoot at the same time this way. I aced the cyberdemon on UV as a test.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 17, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

:eng101: Difficulty Education Time! :eng101:

It should also be noted that a lot of levels and mods released these days are designed with Doom veterans in mind. It's not shameful to pick Hey, Not Too Rough in a campaign like Unloved, considering some of the crazy situations it throws you into on UV.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

You realize that you can disable the smoothing in GZDoom right.

95% of peoples complaints with GZDoom come from people not bothering to look at the option menus, because you can customize and tweak almost everything to your personal preference.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mantle posted:

I just checked out some double impact on YouTube, and if you think that is impressive, you have to play Knee Deep in zDoom. It's a reimaging of doom ep1 using all of the modern features of the zDoom engine. Not only is it very technically impressive, the single player level design is top notch and it is genuinely scary.

The Shores of ZDoom is apparently well into development too, now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cobweb Heart posted:

Seconding this question. Hopefully it's an optional thing. :(

It's there to offset the generally slightly higher damage output from the player. The basic shotgun does SSG-level damage now, so it reloads to compensate.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah... there's a few stoic doom purists that HATE KDiZD and pretty much everything else its creators have made.

I will never understand these people.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Don't forget you can kick! Kicking comes in handy sometimes.

It really is, actually. I wish it'd 'interrupt' animations a little more aggressively, but if you're caught out reloading with a demon about to chew your face off, booting it in the chin works pretty well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

The shotgun is not only way better in Brutal doom, but is even viable and nice at distances you wouldnt expect with the headshot damage feature.

Seriously, this is one of the main reasons I love the mod. Every weapon actually has a use. The chaingun no longer is completely obsoleted by the plasma gun, the single-barrel shotgun has mid-range combat use, and the pistol is replaced by the new sniper weapon, instead of just using 2-shot bursts with the chaingun.

The plasma gun got a tweak (wouldn't say it's a nerf, though) by adding a tiny bit of splash damage, making it a little better against crowds but worse up close. The spread-cannon altfire on it is great for popping around a corner and smacking something hard, too.

If you consider Doom to be a complete peerless classic that can never be improved upon, you'll probably hate all that, but I honestly think that the changes are for the better.

Kazvall posted:

E: So I decided to just get skulltag. Seems like the most advanced engine, with mutliplayer! Brutal Doom is awesome.

Just note that Skulltag, while having great netcode, runs on a slightly outdated version of GZDoom. If you're just playing solo, you'll want this instead.

And yeah, Doomsday is effectively dead now. Most newer stuff requires some variant of GZdoom nowadays.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 23, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ehh, the chaingun was a rapid fire hitscan sniper rifle if you tapped the trigger

That's what I just said - it's just that they split that ability off to give to the pistol (which had no use whatsoever) while the chaingun became a little harder to use but more powerful.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

How about this: Clever use of a hub world, terrifying levels, and is the only time Doom has ever legitimately made me feel frightened.

Yeah, it's a really, really good campaign. Just don't play it on UV, because you WILL die a thousand times. Treat the difficulty levels as 'Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Insane' rather than the usual 'Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Normal, Hard'.

The sequel is shaping up excellently, too. Fantastic use of sound and music in that so far.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinook posted:

Have you ever tried kicking the space marines who are tied up to poles? For all I know this isn't a Brutal Doom thing, but I had never tried it before and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

Those guys replace the (almost completely useless) invisibility powerup in Brutal Doom, in an attempt to put something cool and useful in their place.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

treat posted:

Asking again: Is there a version of KDiZD that foregoes the intermission map?

Are you running the very latest GZDoom build? (Last updated July 15th) As others have said, that seems to fix it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's been so long since I've even looked at Quake 1, but Darkplaces has really come leaps and bounds in terms of raw usability and fanciness. Took only a few minutes to download and install the high-res packs, and the game looks downright spiffy now with all the lighting and effects maxed out.

Funny seeing Quake + Expansions expanded from around 120mb to 1.8gb though.

Edit: Is there a high-res monster pack anywhere? It's kinda weird seing these super-blocky, blurrily textured enemies in such a luciously detailed environment.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 27, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

treat posted:

Reforged is what you're looking for.
http://quakeone.com/reforged/

On the topic of Quake, Darkplaces has given me grief with dirty/gritty/difficult to read font textures and I haven't been able to fix it through the menu, config or with alternate font packs. Fitzquake is looking pretty nice and I'm thinking about switching. Is Darkplaces still the source port of choice?

Darkplaces seems to be the one most widely used. And the menus are pretty grungy no matter what texture pack you use. The QRP menus (part of their heaving pile o' textures) aren't too bad though, and, let's face it, you're not going to be staring at menus once you've got your settings worked out anyway.

Also, thanks! All I need now is a weapons pack and everything will be modernized.

Edit: That is, a weapon model pack. The weapon skins are updated by QRP.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 27, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazvall posted:

The Darkplaces model pack, and rygels texture pack are something to behold. Having real time world lighting, with the correct console variables set makes the game even scarier. Your own shadow could appear to be an enemy lurking!

I slightly prefer the Quake Revitalization Project textures. They just seem a little closer to the originals. At max detail, it still looks fantastic though.

Oh, one Darkplaces related question: How do I get it to properly use my 5.1 speaker set? It seems to only output as stereo right now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinook posted:

You might be surprised.

You WILL be surprised. A huge chunk of the Doom community these days are under 20, which would imply that the game was 'before their time', but they've discovered it and gotten hooked comparatively recently. A lot of these games are considered classics for very good reasons, and the best ones just haven't aged, thanks to community efforts to keep them polished and accessible.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Psychic

Seconding this. It's heavily inspired by Devil May Cry. Harvest shiny tokens from the enemies you beat up and spend it on upgrades and consumables. Fun stuff.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr_Person posted:

Does your computer not have a mouse or something? :confused: I don't mean this in a mouse vs. gamepad way, and I understand the inconvenience of using a mouse with a console, but I've never heard of somebody wanting to use a PS3/360 controller for an FPS on something that already has a mouse.

It's actually pretty common. A lot of people just find it more comfortable and easier to use.

Also, not sure about OSX, but my 360 controller works fine with GZDoom.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

My goodness Brutal Doom is just about the best thing I have ever played.

Like I've been saying, it's the only Doom mod that makes Doom even Doomier. I recorded a little bit of gameplay footage of it here for anyone who hasn't tried it yet - I'll probably record some more tonight or tomorrow on a less brown level to show off other aspects of it.

And yes, I do use the regenerating health module. It really helps minimize bullshit - having just enough health (it only takes you up to 36%) to soak up a single cacodemon shot usually gives you just enough life out of cover to get to the nearest proper health pickup.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, I went and made that new Brutal Doom video. Better levels, but not a better player. I'm really not very good at this, despite decades of experience. Oops.

I do at least chainsaw a LOT of things to death.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In this particular instance I imagine you can select both WADs and drag it onto the Skulltag exe.

I swear by Quickly Launchering GZDoom (over in the OP) - really helps set up complex combos of files and switching between mods easily.

Edit: Something I both love and hate about Brutal Doom: Fighting cyberdemons in close quarters is TERRIFYING now. Why? Because rather than being nice and predictable and firing rockets all day long, they occasionally fire bouncing impact grenades instead, which are really good for bouncing into a room and killing you dead.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has anybody else combined The Ultimate Torment and Torture with Brutal Doom? It is sublime. I wasn't sure it would work but it loaded up and it's one of the most glorious things I've played. :aaaaa:

It works with most other mods that aren't total conversions, just so long as you load Brutal Doom last so that it overrides any weapon/effects replacements. It just doesn't apply the new gore to any new monsters, sadly.

It's a robust piece of hyperviolence.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't even TRY to run it with Deus Vult 2. The cacodemon room in Level 1 is almost unplayably slow, and Minas Morgul becomes unplayable before enemies even appear!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 14, 2011