Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I must be the only one who liked the second level in SS3. It didn't have huge hordes of enemies, but being set in-doors and shooting zombie soldiers with the shotgun was the closest thing to a modern version of Doom that I've ever played.
Then again I considered the first half of the game set in the city to be excellent. The deserts were good too, but that setting was run to the ground in the first title already, and those monkey enemies can eat poo poo if you're the type who has to kill absolutely everything before moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The first half of Perseus Mandate is garbage, but the second half is the pinnacle of the FEAR series in terms of horror.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

As for the new Wolf game, is it entirely new or a continuation of an older wolf?

It's a continuation of the RTCW/Wolf 2009 storylines. What little they had anyway.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It had the antagonist Deathshead from the previous game and BJ and some collectibles referenced the events from RTCW. Other than that it was mostly self-contained like Wolf2014 is shaping up to be.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Duke Nukem Forever DLC was still total garbage like the main campaign and I'm surprised how anyone could think it was better. It had the same issue as the vanilla game: 95% minigames and lovely jokes, 5% actual shooting. They even recycle the strip club fetch quest from the main campaign near the end, because the first time wasn't bad enough I guess.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm at loss over how the new Wolfenstein got funded. The 2009 game bombed and did simply alright critically, and RTCW is mainly known for its multiplayer. The New Order is a single player only shooter with a self-aware tone most modern FPS gamers won't care about and enough storyline and modern elements that most FPS purists will scream at. The game is DOA.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I forgot it came with access to the multiplayer beta of the Doom reboot. I guess that should earn it a thousand or so sales from the people who will complain about how it's not an exact replica of a shooter released twenty years ago.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

The only redeeming thing about UT3 is the image macro someone made with one of the characters as Johnny Fiveaces (unfortunately I don't have a copy handy).

I believe it was the original Gears of War for PC failing that soured CliffyB on PC gaming. I recall it bombed pretty terribly because it came out a year after the console version, had a very common savegame corruption bug and it was in the early days of GFWL when the PC client wanted you to pay for multiplayer.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Carmack specifically stated that Doom 4 would have to run at 30fps to have more enemies on the screen than rage.

This was way back when Doom 4 was slated to come out for 360/PS3. It's PC/PS4/Xbone only now.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

How does one edit Wolfenstein 3D's graphics and enemy/weapon data? Level design is straightforward enough, but I'm not having any luck with the rest and Google isn't helping.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

What Doom 3 needed was for the enemy count to be increased and changed so you fight more than thirty thousand imps during the first 7 hours of the game, and for the monster spawn growl animations to be removed/shortened. Why they would increase the ammo count in the BFG Edition I don't know since unless you were awful you'd always have max ammo for the shotgun, which instakilled every common enemy in one shot, and almost every other non-explosive weapon.
As it stands Doom 3 is a game where most of the encounters boil down to instakilling most enemies while they are doing their spawning animations:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Did anyone who play through the original Doom campaign with Brutal Doom have crashing issues in E4M2? It's crashing every time I activate the first switch and enter the room with the imps, shotgunners and lava:

Episodes 1-3 gave me no problems whatsoever.

Edit: I'm using gzDoom if that matters???

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, updating gzDoom fixed it, thanks.
This is the first time I'm playing Thy Flesh Consumed on Ultra-Violence and holy poo poo does it not gently caress around.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

laserghost posted:

That Game Informer article had one interesting bit - that the only person in id Software that still works there since the Wolf3D days is Donna "id mom" Jackson, which is ironic yet fair, as she was probably the only sane person in that madhouse.

I believe Tim Willits is still there (edit: I forgot he joined after Doom 1 and 2 were out), maybe Kevin Cloud as well.

GUI fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 14, 2016

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Is Blood meant to be played with Build's awkward mouselook or not? Because those rat enemies of all things are giving me more trouble than I expected.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Minidust posted:

I've seen this mentioned before. What are the problem's with Build's mouselook exactly? I just played through Duke 3D for the first time (eDuke32) and it seemed to work okay. Is it just how weird the enemy sprites look (i.e. almost disappearing) at certain angles? Or how you can't quite look straight up or down at a full 90 degree angle?

e: VVVVVV ah that does sound pretty awkward!!

Elliotw2 posted:

In the actual Build engine you can only adjust one axis at once, eDuke32 obviously fixes this, and the bmouse driver half fixes it in the DOS games.

Other than this there's also some weird distortion of the floors/ceilings whenever you look up and down. I'm fairly sure Duke3D and other BUILD games had it too but were "fixed" in source ports like eDuke32.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I loved Wolfenstein The New Order, but the second act between the Concentration Camp level and the one where you pilot that underwater vehicle were dull as hell, even more so on replays. There's nearly two hours there where you don't shoot anything except for a gimmick section and the knife-only stealth, which is awful due to how braindead the AI is when not in combat.

It also needed a way to skip the in-engine cutscenes. The Old Blood expansion had an Iron Man difficulty that started you over whenever you died and that meant sitting through the 10+ minute intro again.

King Vidiot posted:

I loved New Order but I felt like there just wasn't enough of it. Like I wanted it just the way it was but with more badass one-liners

BJ actually had one-liners at some point in development (some were left in the game files, some were in previews months before release) but they were removed for some reason.
The inventory system with the ammo pick-ups also went through a ton of changes during development, at some point you picked items up from enemies by examining them like in Bioshock. Dual-wielding was originally a temporal power-up as well, but it got changed to a permanent one because it was funner.
Edit: A couple of levels were originally different/bigger (U-Boat, Moon, Concentration Camp) but they were cut down in size or completely changed because of time constraints.

GUI fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 6, 2016

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I think Doom 2016 will be a pretty good video game that will live up to the Doom name and be pretty fun to play. Semper games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Nokiaman posted:

To be honest their doom thread in /vr/ isn't so bad to find some useful stuff such as this

I'm going to be That Guy and say Suspended in Dusk isn't fun to play. The geometry is impressive for a vanilla level, but the gameplay itself is agonizing with extremely cramped, identical looking gray mazes and a couple of slightly bigger areas with even more gray everywhere.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

catlord posted:

Have they? That's a shame. Wolf '09 is pretty great.

They never said anything about it beyond a Bethesda PR guy saying they were ignoring it during some interview years ago. Obviously, MachineGames itself didn't see things that way since TNO references 09 multiple times.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's a well known fact that Randy Pitchford is a chronic liar.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

thanks, dude, duke nukem. :)

GUI fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 4, 2016

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I might be thinking of a different game but I think Shadows of the Empire is the one where Nintendo made the developers stick their hands into a box to operate the prototype N64 controller because they didn't want people seeing it and stealing/leaking their design.

Sorta.

quote:

Due to our strict nondisclosure agreement, we were unable to discuss the hardware or the project with anyone outside the core team. Consequently, we would furtively hide the prototype controller in a cardboard box while we used it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Hello I made a quick thing for Ultimate Doom in two days. It replaces E3M1 and supports all difficulty levels. I tested it with Doom.exe and Chocolate Doom so it should work with anything.

D o w n l o a d H e r e

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Since we're talking about Doom mapping I'm going to shamelessly repost a map I finished some weeks ago that replaces E3M1 in Ultimate Doom. It's vanilla compatible and was tested in Doom.exe, so naturally it should work with any source port.

Download

quote:

Do any of you nerds run the Doom.TXT twitter account? I can't link it from my work computer, but I saw a particularly good one today torn from the DOOM 4 thread. Really tickled me.

Doom.txt is run by multiple people.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Snapmap shares a lot of its codebase with the multiplayer, right down to the two weapon limit and backwards/side movement being slightly slower than moving forward.

It's still early on, so they can still patch it to add a Singleplayer creation mode.

I made a map with it (code is 7NJT4DY7) but by the end I had hit the Network limit and I had to compromise in so many areas that I was missing gzDoom Builder and Radiant half-way through.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein's (good kind of) melodrama will be really hard to take seriously if they go with Blazkowicz being alive and the player character again considering how far both The Old Blood and New Order go with making him a tired and broken down human being.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Brutal Doom campaign has some interesting level ideas/gimmicks during the middle city chapter even if half the time they don't work too well.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Some time after Wolf: TNO came out someone asked one of the developers in an interview about what game they'd like to work on next and they said they'd like to do a Quake reboot if they got the chance, so there's that.

Edit: Found it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I made this for a Doom 2 speedmapping thread over at DoomWorld yesterday. Took around 90 minutes or so.

gently caress YOU, ICE CUBE!!! - Vanilla compatible, replaces MAP01 in Doom 2. Tested with Chocolate Doom and PrBoom+.

Download

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I thought Perseus Mandate's second half with those levitating mangled corpse things was the FEAR franchise's horror aspect at its best. The first half of the expansion is pretty mediocre but it picks up during the second part when you go underground.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played it a year ago and for its price it was pretty good and the voice acting is hilarious. Just don't expect much in terms of enemy variety.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

DNF is a huge disappointment if you managed to maintain a nonzero amount of hype somehow

DNF had quite a bit of hype going for it around release from people who expected it to at least be a throwback to 90s shooters with non-linear level design and a focus on shooting. This was back during late last gen where every major release was a linear military cinematic shooter with interactive cutscenes at every moment or just a plain cinematic shooter with interactive cutscenes at every moment. I vividly remember the thread here in 2011 having plenty of positive buzz before release until it came out (the limited demo released a week before didn't help either) and was mediocre, with that infamous Hive scene sending the thread into a downward spiral that ended with it being locked and deleted.

I expected nothing from Douk other than shooting plenty of dudes and instead I got a game that had gimmicks or scripted events every 5 minutes. It was pretty awful. A shame since despite all its flaws the brief segments where you're running around with the shotgun/ripper shooting aliens are pretty fun despite the weapon limit and regenerating health.
The only good things to come out of the game were the reactions from the Duke community trying to convince themselves the reviewers were wrong, and George's excuses for some of the awful design decisions.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein 2009 also had a weapon wheel that let you carry every weapon.

Wolfenstein 2009 also owned and in some aspects was better than TNO.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I was somehow under the impression that Wolf 2009 was The Bad One

There's no such thing as a bad Wolfenstein/Doom game, friend.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RtcW had aim spread - when you moved your view without walking even, -insane view juddering when hit and a focus on taking cover before COD existed.

Which was funny when TNO was announced and people were complaining it was going to be like COD whenever gameplay footage was shown. If anything, the newer Wolfensteins have been more ~~mythical 90s old school shooter~~ than RTCW and even W3D themselves were.

quote:

And then Enemy Territory was released (I was legit pissed off there was not even one single-player addon, what the hell, id?), and things changed even more.

Wolfenstein: ET originally started as a paid RTCW expansion pack with an SP campaign before plans were scrapped and they released the MP component for free.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The reason for that is probably because Wolf09's multiplayer was absolute garbage which disappointed people who expected another Enemy Territory. The Campaign itself - while good - also suffered from things such as regenerating health and the so-so open world areas which felt like a series of corridors rather than an actual city.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The upcoming Prey has absolutely nothing to do with the 2005 one outside the brand name, so you aren't missing anything if you don't play that. Even the leaked Arkane developer e-mails from a couple of years ago basically said "We don't want to make this but Zenimax/Bethesda wants us to, let's make a System Shock game using a completely unrelated IP."

Cat Mattress posted:

They should make Rage 2.

Rage 2 was in early development stages around the same time as the OG Doom 4 but was cancelled because Bethesda wasn't happy with the overall reception.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Quake 4 vehicle sections were widely considered hot garbage even when it came out and they're the only reason I never bothered replaying it more than twice. They last forever, aren't fun and look awful. idtech 4 wasn't a good engine for outdoor sections unless extensively modified, which Raven didn't do until Wolfenstein 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played through Wolfschanze 2 eons ago alongside some other City Interactive shovelware like :hellyeah:TERRORIST TAKEDOWN 3:hellyeah: and a couple I've forgotten the name of and can say they're all gameplay clones of each other beyond the settings. They all used the FEAR engine and were two hours long. Most of the length was because you died in a handful of shots if you didn't take cover (they all had regenerating health) and the player movement was laughably slow.

There were a couple others by developers whose names I barely remember. Something called The Protector I guess? You played as some bodyguard who had to protect some woman, it ran at 15FPS and there was a level set in a museum that had a pretty long cutscene that showed multiple takes of a T-Rex skeleton exploding while some new age music played. Fake Edit: It was called Jonathan Kane: The Protector.
And then there's also Scorpion Disfigured which was supposedly made by some of the STALKER developers and is absolutely awful.