Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Has anyone had any luck getting Powerslave/Exhumed to run well in DosBox? It's really glitchy and far too fast, even when I bring down the cycles. I'd love if this thing got released on GoG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quirk posted:

How hard is it to make a texture replacement wad? I've never modded Doom before and I want to re-imagine the textures in a way that can be applied to any wad.

Don't see how it could be hard. Just make your textures, put them in your own wad and make sure they have the same name as the texture they are replacing, load it up and voila. At least in theory.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I actually love the reloading mechanic: it makes battles very hectic and forces me to either switch through my whole arsenal during a big fight and utilize melee + the environment and especially if I picked up Berserk already.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've always wanted an FPS adaptation of Paul Verhoeven's Total Recall done in the Quake engine, complete with terrible Arnold impersonator spouting great one liners. And of course it'd have to be ultra violent, maybe even use the GHOUL dismemberment system from Soldier of Fortune.

I mean, the movie already has a bunch of videogamey scenarios. The alien pyramid at the end would make a badass final level as well. You could totally (recall) use the hologram (HoloQuaid?) to distract badly animated Mars soldiers and mow them down. I'd buy it for a dollar.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

KozmoNaut posted:

This may give you some of what you're looking for, it's like an 80s/90s action movie version of his previous Nazis mod:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33330

Coincidentally, I was actually about to watch Total Recall again after having watched the remake during the weekend. I prefer the original.

Sweet, thanks. Any map recommendations for this?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Arne's site has a bunch of other fun stuff related to this thread, like anime-infused Quake and Tribes.

This guy loves low cut panties apparently.

Anyway this guy on the Duke4.net forums released a test build of his project BLiGHT and it shows some promise. Right now it kinda suffers from most DN3D mods/TC's in that the amount of damage the enemy gives it is hilariously out of whack (I love getting mowed down to 40% health after 3 shots from a pistol at medium range!) but it's got a cool premise and some neat sprite work. Hopefully he tweaks it a bit to make it more playable. It's just one test level and it's rather short, but give it a shot!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Clive Barker's Undying has been given the GOG treatment.

Yodzilla posted:

Is this game actually good or is it just interesting? I always heard how great it was but never got around to playing it.

I love this game. Let me tell you guys about this game.

In Undying you play as the sexiest man in the universe, Patrick Galloway, who survived some war with a bunch of weirdo savages thanks to a man with the coolest name ever, Jeremiah Covenant. Patrick got a kickass bluish green stone for his efforts. What does this stone do? Shut up it's magic.

Anyway, after the war Patrick becomes a paranormal adventurer/investigator and does things for people for money related to those two things I just labeled him as. Eventually, his old pal Jeremiah Dopeassname calls him back and is like, "My dead as gently caress family is haunting me and I don't know why."

It probably had to do with the fact that he and his siblingtons read from an ancient arcane book at a gathering of stones that clearly look like a hand rising from the depths of hell. Idiots.

So Patrick shows up, and the game begins.

Let me tell you about the gameplay.

It's a first person shooter. BUT it's also an adventure game. BUT it's also a horror game. It's like Unreal, Resident Evil 1, and Resident Evil 1 had some kind of freaky clone threesome. It also has this cool weapon system where Patrick uses a gun or other weapon in one hand (his LEFT hand. Southpaws represent) and magic spells in the other. That's right, Undying was doing gun + plasmid poo poo before Bioshock, and the first Bioshock had the audacity to make you switch between them.

The spells are awesome. There's Scrye, which you'll know when to use because a voice in your head will go, "SEEEEEEE" or "SCRRYYEEEEEE" or "LOOOOOOOK" or "OOOOOOHhhhoOOOOoooOOHH." Scrye let's you see stuff your normal lovely human eyes won't, like ghosts, or past events, or Sam Neil (although where you're going, you won't need scrye to see.)

There's other spells too, like Ectoplasm (balls of energy) and my favourite, Invoke. Invoke does two things.

1: it raises fallen enemies to fight for you. Cool, right? WRONG, DUMBASS.

2: it puts the undead to rest. Cool, right? YES, DUMBASS.

Let's say you use your badass Tibetan War Cannon (oh yeah, did I mention that's one of the weapons?) to kill some creepy skellingtons. Those fuckers are going to get right back up. But not if you use Invoke on them. Then they sizzle to dust (not really) and actually die. Again.

There's another spell. It's the best spell. It's Skull Storm. Listen to that name. Skull Storm. Are there any metal bands with names that cool? It was a trick question, there's only one answer. (no)

Skull Storm summons several cacklingly mad, violence prone, explosive skulls at your disposal. Fling them at enemies to make them blow the hell up. Why would you not do this.

The regular weapons are ace too. A sexy revolver. A sawed off double barrel shotgun. Oooooh. An ancient scythe that kills bosses in one swipe, should you aim it the right way. You are going to aim it the right way, right? You're not that guy?

This is an FPS from the 90's as well, so none of this regenerating health garbage. You pick up first aid like a real man, and carry it in your inventory, and then use your big boy brain to determine when is the best time to use them, instead of sitting behind the 7000th concrete barrier and sucking on the barrel of babby's first assault rifle while your mom carefully wades through the battle field to burp you so all the smuckers sugar free rasberry jam falls out of your eyes.

11/10 buy Clive Barker's Undying.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Geight posted:

The only thing I hold against Undying is that it made me give other things with Clive Barker's name attached a try. Don't do that, just buy Undying.

Yeah seriously. Clive Barker's Jericho? It is the exact opposite of all those things I said about Clive Barker's Undying, which means its not very good at all.

Clive Barker.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TheMammoth posted:

Unless I'm remembering this incorrectly, isn't Undying also the game where Patrick Galloway, after decapitating Lilith or one of the female bosses, walks her still screaming head to the edge of a cliff and then proceeds to drop-punt it into the sea?

Yup. It's awesome.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Great Hexen rant that is true.

Can we be friends? gently caress Hexen.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Does anyone know why I get corrupted/missing graphics and a lack of sounds when I boot up Serpent Resurrection? It didn't really give any particularly special instructions. I've go the latest GZDoom and everything.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

Are you using Hexen as your iwad?

Uh, I thought I was, but somehow I forgot to put it in the godamn folder. I am moron sometimes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So has anyone played Witchaven? How is it? I like the idea of a 90's FPS only instead of guns I use swords and magic and poo poo.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anybody ever play that Wheel of Time fps made on the Unreal engine?

Played roughly 20 minutes, it's surprisingly decent so far. Magical powers take the place of guns, though I would have liked to have arms or something as view models. Enemies can be just a tad too accurate but it encourages running, jumping, and strafing. It's also rather nice looking, considering the age.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
In Wolfenstein: New Order, Blascowicz says one liners like "I got bad news for ya, Fritz!" (after picking up a cool new gun) and "They put a Nazi on the moon? gently caress the moon." (after finding out they put a Nazi on the moon.)

Do I want to play this game?

Ja.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

I've uploaded a fixed up version to my Dropbox - drop your email address here if you're interested and I'll send you the details.

I've never played Outlaws so I'm pretty interested. Pretty please!

Edit: Maybe I should put my email in there huh Echelon5@msn.com

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Supreme Power posted:

Unreal stuff

Luckily you don't really need a sourceport for Unreal, it runs on modern systems just fine. And it's totally worth playing. Myst with guns is probably the perfect way to describe it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm looking for some good remake wads of Doom 1's original episodes. Any suggestions? And yes, I played Knee Deep in ZDoom.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

xanthan posted:

Speaking of Clive Barker how are the Jericho and Undying games?

I mean I played Undying a bit and I've seen the weird ghost dude and that one painting that fucks up if you scry on it. What the hell IS that or do I find out later? Also read the post linked in the beginning of the thread. Is the place an Indian burial ground or is Skull Storm just some emergency spell?

Skull Storm can be used when you want, it's an offensive spell. Invoke is the one that either raises dead enemies back to life to fight for you or puts skellingtons out of commission for good after you 'kill' them the first time.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

xanthan posted:

No no, I got that stuff. It just seems kind of weird that you can shoot infinite skulls at people.

Shooting infinite screaming skulls at people should be a more common feature in any and all games. Dating sim? Skull Storm. Point and click? Skull Storm. Edutainment? Definitely Skull Storm.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Dominic White posted:

Looks like the first potential Cacoward of 2014 is taking shape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAWSjOuwIg
Mario X Doom, Due out on New Years.

What the gently caress I haven't even played it and I'm already addicted to collecting those coins. :psyduck:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
All this Turok talk made me want to fire those bad boys back up.

I still have my CD's of Turok 1 and 2 on the PC, and Shadow of Oblivion on N64.

Turok 1 is still old school fun. Levels are linear, but pretty big, with just enough enemies to keep you on your toes. Weapons feel great to use. Overall, I think it still holds up.

Turok 2 is good as well, but there's something about the pacing that throws me off. I think the levels might be too long. I got fatigued by the end of the Port of Adia. That loving soundtrack though, wow.

Turok 3 is cool, and playing as Danielle Fireseed is even cooler, but elements of it feel a little downgraded from 2. Can't quite put my finger on it. Decent attempt at storytelling, though, and some really varied, interesting environments. It was a trip going through the first few sections of the first level of Turok 1.

And now you know how I feel about Turok games! Too bad they never made Turok Evolution or the reboot from 2008. Yup, sure is a shame they never made, say, an open world Turok game that plays like Far Cry 3 or something. Shame, shame, shame.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Are there any mods for the first Unreal that make them more...punchy, I suppose? Or even change them completely? I absolutely adore that game and play it at least once a year but man, those weapons aren't all that fun to use.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Okay so I decided to actually play more than 5 minutes of Turok Evolution and...it's not terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's not all that great either, but shootin' up doofy lizard dino aliens feels good, the weapons are fun (though not nearly as interesting as the other games). Unfortunately, it's got these really long, completely godawful pterodactyl Star Fox ripoff flying sections that last for 1000 years and are zero fun. Also, the damage calculations seem off. A tiny raptor baby will bite my ankles and take 15 health, but a monster will shoot me point blank and take 2. Weird.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone know how I can get Malice working on my Steam copy of Quake?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Move the Malice data folder into your Steam Quake directory. Right click Quake in your Steam library, go to Properties, then click Set Launch Options. Type in "-game malice" (without the quotes).

I'm pretty much in love with you. :allears:

Second question. Last question. Can I use Malice's weaponry in the original Quake levels?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thank you, my friend. You are the best.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Thinking of doing another review of a slightly more obscure classic FPS (like Undying). Would anyone be interested in that? If so, any suggestions?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zaphod42 posted:

Suggestions... TekWar? :cheeky:

Oh Christ that game...If I can get it to run I will eventually.

Mak0rz posted:

If you didn't already, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Chasm: The Rift.

Now this is more like it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought of another one, this thread doesn't seem to bring it up much. Marathon.

I played a good bit of it when I was younger on macs, but I never got as into it as Doom. Would be fun to read a comparison of Doom, Marathon and Duke. Similarities and differences, especially since they were clearly inspired by each other.

It probably wouldn't be fun to read because I hate Marathon. Marathon II, though? That would be fun to review. I got nothin' but love for II. Let's not talk about Infinity.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

RyokoTK posted:

No, let's talk about Infinity, because I like that one a lot more than Durandal even if that is technically the superior game.

The story was certainty interesting (that ending) but I just could not get into the levels at all. They were abstract to the point of absurdity. M1's levels were pretty bad; all samey corridors and boring layouts. Durandal had decent to excellent levels. I think having it take place in an alien world made the strange layouts easier to swallow, but even then there was usually some kind of flow to them. Infinity is just :psyduck: the game with no payoff.

In my opinion, of course. I've pretty much heard nothing but praise for 1 and Infinity for years now.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

DoombatINC posted:

Every time you post about Marathon I start writing something to defend it but it always ends up being a lot of things that are up to personal taste, so just pretend I'm looking at you like a hurt puppy right now

Awww :3:

I totally get the series and why it's regarded as a classic. The story across the trilogy is really fascinating and it's tons of fun seeing Bungie's proto-Halo/Destiny material that obviously began deep in Marathon's lore (I'm still convinced all three series take place in the same universe) and, goddammit, they TRIED SO HARD I can't be THAT mad when I feel like levels or gameplay design doesn't work.

Durandal will forever be my fav homicidal AI, SHODAN and Glados included.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone familiar with Duke Nukem 3D con editing? How would I go about decreasing the amount of damage enemies do because JESUS CHRIST Duke is like paper mache in this game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Jblade posted:

Open up USER.CON and take a look at the values there (use any text editor) You're gonna want to reduce enemy health rather than nerf damage values because both them and Duke do the same damage. I don't really agree with Duke being weak though, how are you playing the game? Treat it like a mix of Doom and Half-life, because Duke can move fast but you will need to tank some shots which is where finding secrets come into the game.

Well DN3D has a lot more hitscan attacks from enemies, and on Let's Rock we're looking at lizard captains (chaingun arm dudes) taking away 15 - 20 health very, very quickly. I still love it though. Godamn, that 2001 trailer for DNF looked like the greatest game ever made.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
A bajillion pages ago someone recommended a good soundfont (at least I think that's what it was) to get the most out of Back to Saturn X's soundtrack. Does anyone remember what that was? I remember it being pretty simple. I pretty much just had to drop a file into ZDoom's directory. I think. It's been a while.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 7, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Copper Vein posted:

I remember that.

[soundfont stuff]

You're the best. Thanks a ton!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
SiN has the coolest name/logo combo since Nine Inch Nails.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Playing through Hellbound with Weapons of Saturn. I'm enjoying myself overall but there are a few bullshit things, like the author's obsession with Hellknights (as stated above), overly dark levels (WHERE THE gently caress AM I GOING) and trying to loving guess what switch did what to what part of the bigass level.

Edit: jesus christ do these maps ever get any brighter? I can't see a godamn thing, hasn't this mother fucker heard of lighting

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 12, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finished Hellbound. What. The. gently caress was this guy thinking with map 29? Really? REALLY? After a gauntlet of visually interesting but overly dark, overly populated, switch hunt clogged levels, my kung fu was interrupted for THIS?

I did, however, like the story it told through the environment. Going through the UAC labs with hell artifacts behind glass, and then the in-between dimension where the UAC essentially staged a D-Day esque assault on hell forces was neato. Like the poster above me said, though, this mapset is way up its own rear end.

10/10 it's alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Looking for a Doom 3 mod that only changes the shotgun spread and body gibbing/demon burn away effect. Unfortunately those two things are usually coupled with a bunch of other stupid poo poo in all the mods I've found.