Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Awesome. Happy to see the early 3D guys have a home here now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So I've been out of the loop for a bit, any more progress on FPS games ported to Wii? Quake was awesome as hell, is there a free-aiming version of Doom yet? Because that would just be awesome. Last I saw, the only port of Doom didn't let you aim, it was more or less just a straight port of the original and the wiimote just let you turn left and right.

What's funny is I tried playing Black Ops on the Wii, and it was god awful to me. The controls were laggy and inaccurate, it was ugly as sin, and just... blah. Good job, nerds, at outdoing the big guys with games from over a decade ago. :)

I always felt that motion controls would shine the brightest with FPS games, it seems like such a natural way to control them. Quake on the Wii is great, and playing MAG on the PS3 with the Move has been delightful. What we need are more classic FPS ports to the Wii, considering it can run most stuff people love in this thread, and it's almost effortless to hack.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, early on before I'm well equipped [and later on, in tight spaces] shotgunners are really nasty.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

And here's something silly a guy I know did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ad544E04aU

I... I love this. :aaa:

As a huge fan of both MF- and 2.5d- Doom, I love this a whole lot. Tell that guy he's awesome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I think you mean a cakeodemon

e. son of a bitch!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chinook posted:

Someone already has:

That is beautiful.

Well it isn't beautiful, but you know what I mean.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hahah reminds me of people now and COD. "Call of the Dead?" "Sure!" *click*

Some things never change. :shobon:

I used to love DMing with Doom 2. The satisfaction of sneaking up on my friends and throwing a BFG shot at them was great. This was when Doom 2 launched of course, so multiplayer definitely wasn't what it is now. This was exciting stuff!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Was looking for funny examples of Deus Ex's voice talent for the PS3 games thread, and stumbled upon... this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFB4cjXOCA

That's awesome. The cat models in Deus Ex are adorable, and this video just had me rolling. :3:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Boy, Brutal Doom is kind of awesome. I was setting up a new firewall today and forgot I had gzdoom installed on the pc I was using to configure it. I thought, hey, people were talking about that Brutal Doom mod, maybe I'll try it!

It's... awesome. :aaa:

I'm not terribly far, playing episode 1 on ultra, but it's a lot of fun so far. And just amazingly difficult, this game isn't loving around

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo they added AI co-op buddies in Brutal Doom?? These guys run around like retarded bees but they're absolutely hilarious.

Also I apparently remember absolutely nothing about Doom 1 past the first episode.

Doom 1 episode 1 is probably my favorite Doom experience of all. It's probably just because I played the shareware so much back in the day and it's nostalgia kicking in, but it's the most fun I have with Doom.

It's also been really difficult with Brutal Doom, good lord!

Also, speaking of... how did they possible make it more gory? :psyduck:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ChuckDHead posted:

ghost wizard Hitler

Next forums name found.

I can't wait to try the new Brutal Doom. I'm having so much fun with this one. The alt fire thing... that's just... I love this mod so much.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tapatio posted:

Doomworld Forums are my homepage, I post under the name "Sigvatr"

I made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khuyZdgYxlc

So awesome.

Those sound effects triggered such a nostalgia wave. :allears: Not just Doom, pretty sure that they were on every shareware game out there for a while [Commander Keen comes to mind]

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

daft punk railroad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WueWmgnQuno

I can't remember if I posted this in the thread already. Enjoy it either way (no I didn't make this)

Next time someone tries to tell me video games can't be art, I'm going to show them this. :aaa:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah I was going to make fun of him, but... huh... I can see it, I guess. I don't think I could pull it off, but I can see the advantages.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tippis posted:

…on the other hand, they often had multiple quit screens begging you to buy the full version, since a lot of it was distributed as nagware/shareware.

I miss the gently caress out of colored ASCII shareware quit screens. :smith:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chinook posted:

Aww, me too. :( Maybe some Kroz or ZZT will brighten your day?

This is a good suggestion!

Mak0rz posted:

:ssh: You can enable them in (g)Zdoom.

Whaaaaaaat.

Wait I did see that in the menus, didn't I? Oh I know what I'm doing next time I fire it up.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Robolizard! posted:

edit: jeet christ this fuckin website

http://web.archive.org/web/19970131181034/http://kicksoda.com/doom/doom.html

Oh god my eyes

For anyone who complains about some peoples' choices in web design now, click this link. It used to be worse. Way, way worse.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Version 0.12 was officially released today, even though the beta release has been out for several weeks now. The blood and carnage is toned down, but in a strange sort of concession, you can run around and kick dead bodies / limbs like soccer balls. Big, dead, soccer balls. The "Fire Cannon" that you can pull off of gibbed Mancubus corpses is pretty cool: it can set lesser-enemies on fire, but the ammo's a little difficult to come by since each cannon only nets you 8 more shots.

Hahaha how the hell does this just keep getting more ridiculous?

I love it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

OneEightHundred posted:

The "Loque" bot is really obnoxious. His accuracy stat is maxed out and, unlike basically every other bot, seems to barely be affected by difficulty. He especially has a tendency to chain-snipe you and do stupid amounts of damage if gets a minigun.

I've had many a "what the gently caress I just got sniped 2 times in mid-air, oh it's Loque" moment in practice games and half-filled servers.

Wait, you mean the bots have individual personalities/configurations?

Well holy poo poo. I never knew that. And I played a looooot of UT99 botmatch back in the day.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

closeted republican posted:

Go to the "bots" part of the "practice match" window and there's a button that says "Bot Config" which lets you do things like rename the bots, change almost everything about them, and give them different skins. They can also use custom models, so feel free to take a trip back to 1997 to 1999-era online gaming and give a bot or two Homer Simpson and Barney the Dinosaur models.

Oh I knew you could change physical appearance, I guess I just never realized that the bots had different AI "personalities". That's awesome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ddraig posted:

Soldier of Fortune, obviously.

Oh god, so much time spent doing that quicky-botmatch mode in SoFII just shooting parts off of people then dissecting their bodies when they dropped. There might be something wrong with me, I dunno.

Lay off me the technology was really interesting!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really like Fallout 3 and New Vegas's gibs. It's funny to be wandering around, look down, and say "Oh, that chunk of brain belongs to the Legion troop I just shot in the face!" and finding random arms/legs strewn around a battlefield.

e. of course the king of death animations is the original Fallout and Fallout 2 even if they don't qualify for this thread. Those critical eye-shots made the most satisfying wet thump noise ever, and the resulting animations were quite awesome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I decided tonight to hook up my old xbox emulation box to my little Commodore monitor in my office. "What should I play first," I wondered, "I want to see how stuff looks on this monitor"

I picked SNES Doom. "Haha, I've never played this before, I wonder how it is?" I thought, in my naivety.

I regret my decision. Boy oh boy is it bad. :gonk: I mean technically it's amazing they got what they got running on the SNES, but... yeeeeeech. Between the godawful low res textures [which I understand, I mean I get that, but drat still], the 4fps framerate and the enormous amounts of lag [shoot, wait, hear gunshot] and music playing at random tempo... I'll take brutal gzdoom thanks

[was any of the slowdown present on an actual cart or is it all a result of emulation?]

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yodzilla posted:

Goddamn are PS1 era 3D games terrible looking.

Agreedo. It sure did 2D games with 3D effects/extras well, though [SOTN, FF Tactics, etc]

Though Einhander does look pretty awesome still, especially when emulated at high res.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

tooooooo bad posted:

Looks like a lot of projectiles pass through monsters without hitting them which is kind of annoying. Still amazing though.

edit: So amazing

My lord. :stare:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

Here it is. The most terrifying mod I've seen in ages.

MEMORIAL. It's all 32 levels of Doom 2 as a single, mammoth map, with some minor rearrangement, linking-up and a couple of extra monsters to fill in the blanks.

There's apparently some bugs that manifest in ZDoom because the authors are somewhat fetishists for PRBoom, but... there it sits. Dare you take it on?

That is such a cool idea, oh my word. Gonna have to try this soon.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

jerkstoresup posted:

Why, internet?

Why?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That info file is awesome Yod, I used to be internet buddies with Jaymz from TLG wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyy back in the day. That's kind of awesome seeing his name again. :3:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Heyyyy so are there any good gzdoom-like ports for Android? I have a Transformer Prime tablet and that should be able to run the gently caress out of a fancy new Doom port, and that would be awesome. Screw screen controls, I've got my PS3 pad tethered to it, but I want some mobile Doom action.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh man I totally remember the Quake CD unlock thing. That was huuuuuuuuge back in the day.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So just finally got around to playing Reelism and holy crap it's awesome! Great job, Kins.

Getting massive random slowdown though. :smith: No idea why. I think it might be something with my laptop, but it's plenty fast running normal gzdoom, and it isn't happening just when, say, there's a lot of enemies or projectiles on screen - it just... happens.

This is a lot of fun though!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

I've updated Reelism again! There's a new-ish item in the form of the Deflector, and there's a bunch of bugfixes.
Sounds like a plan.

Hey Kins, so I was bitching about my slowdown issues earlier with Reelism... and they're still happening and I have no idea why. It's not my laptop - if I open task manager while Reelism's freaking out, nothing's hitting the CPU hard at all, and everything runs fine... if I open the menu that runs smoothly... it's just every few minutes, everything drops to like a 1fps or so for a minute or two. What's really weird too is that if I go into the menu and just wait a few mins, I can go back to the game and it runs fine again. :psyduck: I'll have nothing running at all besides normal background stuff and GZDoom, and it still happens.

Do you have any possible clue what it could be? It doesn't seem tied to the number of actors/bodies, it seems like it's just a matter of time, no matter what's actually going on in the game.

Latest GZDoom, latest Reelism [happened in x1.1 too], running on a machine that runs normal GZDoom perfectly smoothly...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Also, dogpope is the best boss ever.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Brutal Doom's starting to toe the line between changes that improve the original Doom or add an interesting twist on a game we've all played to death (replacing the pistol with the assault rifle, reloading weapons, barons throwing corpses at you, using a great sound clip from a movie to tell a monster from hell to go gently caress itself), and changes that are really pointless and seem to be aimed at completely overhauling the original game (replacing the shotgun and apparently now the rocket launcher sprites with bland generic graphics, newly recorded taunts that IMO sound like crap, replacing the stock "pain" sound). Personally I'd like to see Brutal Doom branched off into two mods, one that sticks closer to the original game and one where SgtMark keeps ruining changing whatever he wants to.

I agree. That new rocket launcher looks awful. I like Brutal Doom, but yeah, I think they're getting a little carried away, and a fork of it sounds like a good solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Ohhh that's the mancubus cannon? Well that makes more sense then. Couldn't figure out why the rocket launcher would look like that [or why the rockets would look like that] but that makes total sense.

This is what I get for posting while busy at work :P