Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are any of the post Goldeneye shooters good and worth playing still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, I heard Nightfire was good, and that’s why I was confused by that video. I didn’t know the pc version was that different.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

All things considered James Bond has been treated very well. The only one I’d call outright bad is Tomorrow Never Dies which is a PlayStation third person shooter after Syphon Filter figured out PS1 third person shooters. Even the weird Zelda game boy rpg is fun.

I love that Game Boy game. I really recommend it to people that are Link’s Awakening fans.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Isn't this a licencing issue? Nintendo won't sign off on it or something?

It was on Xbox 360 so I don’t think so. Nintendo supposedly prevented the HD Goldeneye port though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

Perfect Dark has not a darn thing to do with Nintendo, and if you don't own a Bone or 360 or a series X you'll probably be able to play it come september when xCloud launches.

And 007 Racing is not just a bad game, its probably in the bottom 10% of the PS1 library

I forgot about xCloud. That’ll be worth it just for Rare games. Would own so much if they released a Switch client.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m really looking forward to Dusk on Switch. Especially if it has gyro aiming.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Plan Z posted:

I finally went back to Ion Fury. I dumped it after the dev controversy at its release, and haven't picked it up since.

I don't like it. When I replay Duke or Blood these days, there are elements of the build engine that I simply tolerate because overall I think the games are worth it. But for some reason, I'm just not willing to put up with a new game that has all of the problems of the engine. The most glaring issue is hitboxes, especially for flying and small enemies. I just keep watching my projectiles sail right through and behind enemy models. Between that and the lack of interesting enemies, as well as how awful the SMG feels, I don't think I'm going to finish it.

I’ve been playing both Duke and it, with no nostalgia for Duke beyond the first level or 2 but I’m enjoying Duke way more.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know if Blood has a chance of coming to Switch? All the talk about is making me want to try it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doom 64 is the true Doom 3.

:yeah:

64 is better at being scary as well. The Nightdive port is a must. 3 sucks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I mean Doom 3 isn’t a bad game, especially for its time, but it’s just not what I’m looking for in an FPS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Duke considered the best Build game?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I tried Blood yesterday and I do like the aesthetics but it already feels notably harder to me than Duke. I’ll go back to it after I finish Duke.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve come to appreciate Halo a bit more these days, especially the classic trilogy. Fond memories of playing a lot of 3.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

I don’t think Halo’s pacing was an intentional handicap for console players. The speed you move is identical to the prototype of Halo when it was an rts/third person game.

Halo was never a twitch shooter and neither was Marathon for that matter. The pacing of Bungie’s games has always been on the slower end.

Yup. Destiny is twitchy either. I do appreciate Halo and miss playing them sometimes but I do usually get pretty loving bored quick when I do. I tried to play Marathon but it gives me motion sickness for some reason when I never had issues with Doom, Duke or other classic FPS games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The MCC on PC is really good. It’s so nice to play Halo at 60fps.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This rules so much. Someone please link a playthrough of it on Youtube.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

site posted:

You can play doom on your phone

You can’t install any wad on it though. Only Bethesda curated ones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

You can actually run custom vanilla WADs in the official Unity-based port on PC and Android, but this NVM mod is for ZDoom so you'll need Delta Touch in this case.

There's a big new dev blog for Halo Master Chief Collection that talks about the upcoming PC port of Halo 3 ODST (and the resurrection of its Firefight mode on all platforms) while also teasing some other stuff, like ODST weapons in Halo 3 multiplayer (and vice versa...) There's also a powerpoint presentation about netcode bugs, if you're curious and/or suffering from insomnia.

Does this have crossplay with the Xbox version of the collection?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

Not yet, but at the end of the blog post they announce that crossplay between PC and Xbox and input-based matchmaking (ie. whether you want to play against people using gamepads, KB+M or either - remember, keyboards and mice work on Xbones, too!) are in active development and they plan to get 'em out this year.

That rules. I'll probably grab it then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish I could enjoy Quake but it’s just too twitchy for my tastes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish Quake 1 was on Switch.:smith:

Is there a reason why it doesn’t get ported nearly as much as Doom?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Meh, I’m skeptical of that story. It’s not like they came up with the idea of a 3D platformer and Croc turned out to be a complete piece of poo poo unlike Mario 64. They don’t play similar at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What about the 64 Imp’s butthole?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Installed Quake 1 via Quakespasm and I’m playing it for the first time. It owns. The graphics still have a charm to them imo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

You downloaded the soundtrack, right?

Of course.:wink:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

caleb posted:

Waiting 6 hours for the inevitable gently caress Peterson post when you get to the blue levels and everything is a spawn...

Do this or it doesn't count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf3viki7hLI

Does it get really bad with spawning enemies later?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How playable is Quake with a controller without putting it on babby mode? I know it’s wrong but mouse and keyboard has just always felt awkward to me no matter how hard I try. It must be from barely playing any PC gaming until I was an adult already.:smith:

Does Quakespasm support xinput pads?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JLaw posted:

Yes it do.

How do I get it work? It's not recognizing my pad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JLaw posted:

You're not using the old SDL1.2 binary are you? Just using the most recent quakespasm.exe?

The value of joy_enable is set to 1?

I'm loading through quakespasm-sdl12.exe rather than quakespasm.exe. Is that the right now? It is set at 1 in config. I'm using a switch pro controller through steam so its recognized as an xinput controller. Usually this works for me but not this. Do I have other options? I downloaded a gamecontrollerdb.txt file that seems to support the switch pro controller but i don't know how to enable it.

EDIT: I figured it out, I was loading through the wrong exe. Thanks!

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 4, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

Reminder that Quake was designed to be played entirely with the mouse by hold middle mouse to move. Also Hard is the id endorsed mode.

I’ll be doing normal for this first run on gamepad. Beat 3 levels in episode 1 and I’m having fun so far. I’ll be playing a bunch tomorrow. It’s god it’s hooks on me. There’s just something about these old FPS games that’s exciting to me, even the ones I’ve never played. I love the fact that they actually have level design.:v:

As a primarily Nintendo gamer, I’m reminded more of something like Zelda dungeons rather than linear corridors like most modern FPS games.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 4, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All the Doom games (including 64!) are on sale on Switch and you’re an rear end in a top hat if you don’t pick them up at 2-3 bucks each.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

QuakeCon sales are on at Steam, GOG, and probably everywhere else too. Doom Eternal in particular is half-price, which seems pertinent given the recent discussion.

Things are also on sale on the 3 consoles. It’s pretty funny that nothing Quake related is on sale other than GOG. Why the gently caress can’t we get modern ports.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hasturtium posted:

Quake was a traumatic event within id where two different games were awkwardly jammed together and rushed out the door after years of wrestling with the tech and bad internal politics, and everyone was a little surprised that it was as big a hit as it was. As time rolled on, I don't think id really knew what to do with it. The main contributor to VkQuake works for id, and I'd like to think that's a bellwether of future plans. But after a quarter of a century, all we've gotten is a couple of mission packs, MachineGames's "fifth episode" from a few years back, and the grab bag of multiplayer-only fun that is Quake III Arena and its sequels. I'm not holding my breath.

That’s interesting with how well it turned out. I’ve only finished episode 1 and the level design is great.

Is Quake Live not free everywhere now or is it just Steam?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cat Mattress posted:

I think it went through a free-to-play phase at one point so if you played it then it stuck in your library.

I played it back then but through a browser I think.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Speaking of sound effects, I picked up Doom 64 on Switch today, and I prefer the gun sound effects in it to Doom 1 and 2. Not that those sound effects are bad but everything is much punchier in 64.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gun sound design is such an important detail that a lot of more modern FPS games gently caress up. I hate how weak a lot of the weapons sound in Halo and COD. Battlefield is usually pretty good though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kamrat posted:

So they just gave it to everyone that played it, seems weird, didn't they have a system to know who spent money on the game and who didn't?

I'm glad to have it but I can't imagine many people play it nowadays, especially since it's not free any more.

I wonder if more people just play Quake 3 at this point instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

suppose i oughta buy Doom 64 on Switch even though i never beat the version i got with Eternal on PS4. gotta complete that collection (and i'll be more likely to actually finish it if i can just play a level here or there and then put the system down rather than having to be planted in front of the telly like on PS4)

I recommend it. It plays really well on Switch and the HD rumble and gyro are nice little bonuses. No brainer at $2.50.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the first Unreal campaign still worth playing? I don’t think I’ve ever played single player Unreal before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

caleb posted:

Every time I have played Unreal:

"Can't wait for this to install. This time it's going to be different, I know it."

Insert montage of bug fixes.

"Neat, it's a big open room with a tree."

Uninstall and launch quakespasm.

Yeah I think I’ll wait until I do my babby normal Quake run before considering it. I loved 2004 and 3 though.