Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Golden Souls 2 is very good and was just recently released, it's Doom + platforming, with Mario music and is surprisingly amazing.

My favorite, however, is High Noon Drifter, which is spaghetti western weapons that go well with a lot of different maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Is it possible to permanently put the shotgun reload animation from Golden Souls 2 into everything forever

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
My only complaint with it so far is the level design feels kinda schizophrenic. Some levels like Calescent Castle demand like... precision platforming with 0 margin for error, but then almost immediatly after The Land With No Name is downright easy w/r/t platforming.

e: also rocket launcher reskin is great. Doot Launcher.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

manero posted:

Some of the switches are amazingly non-obvious about what they do, and the level design doesn't necessarily guide you along to where to go next. Sometimes you have to backtrack through the whole level to find a gate or something that wasn't apparent that was the next way forward. One map I gave up and noclipped through a gate since I was bored of running back and forth through the level unable to find the next switch.

Maybe if *all* of the switches used a camera to show you what changed, especially if it was something out of earshot, it would be better. I could do without the platforming, but I see what the author was going for with the Mario influence.

One of the early levels, Oriental something or other took me like an hour over two or three sessions to complete because it combined nonobvious switches with literal mazes at the tail end of the level. I did notice in the level I'm currently on it showed a cutscene of a gate opening when I hit a switch though, so that's cool if it keeps up.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
me and my brother had a turok game on the 64 and you could be a raptor that held a gun.

turok will always hold up and stand the test of time, even if raptors didn't

e: i never played turok 1, and if this one had a singleplayer i never played it. apparently it was Turok Rage Wars, i guess? i literally can not remember singleplayer even being an option, but i was also like 10 so who knows

Mister No fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 8, 2018

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I used to have to play quake 1 to my mom's backstreet boys cd because the game terrified me as a kid. Also not an FPS at all, but if I listen to Offspring all of my thoughts gets consumed by vague memeories of Nox multiplayer.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's always been the way I've done things, but I've never gotten into Doom music, or rather music for Doom mods.

I could be totally off, but I have this feeling that there's an underlying "no mutants allowed"-ish mindset to a fair bit of mods made for the game.

Then again, maybe I'm just getting this from some of what I've heard from the zdoom forums. I really shouldn't give a gently caress, honestly.

From what I've seen, there's obv gonna be pockets of NMA assholes, but the doom community is crazy accepting of anyone and everything and is generally supportive about most stuff. I mean, the doom subreddit is bizarrely one of the least toxic subreddits I've seen.

I wanna say at least part of it is from the top down so I had to go look up a quote

quote:

Romero and his co-workers wanted more games like Doom. "So we would tell anyone who wanted to know how we did what we did," he said. "That doesn't mean that they were going to make the same stuff."

Doom is super chill for a game about hyperspeed drifting and forcing shotguns into demon's faces

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Uh, is Blood supposed to be the hardest game ever? Is Blood 2 the same deal, or did the main character learn how to actually kill things?

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I remember reading or hearing something along the line of the problem with Daikatana was Carmack wasn't there to make a good game that worked, and the problem with Quake 2 was Romero wasn't there to add some imagination to it.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's a good quote.

Carmack makes good engines, but how much of the gameplay design and balance was him? I feel like some of the other guys don't get enough credit for their contributions too.

But then I figure most things about how the guns feel was Carmack's doing, so he does deserve credit for sure. But you gotta be careful you don't give all the credit of Doom to just Carmack and Romero.

But yeah, I think Id played it a little safe on Quake 2, although with games that can be a good thing and I know I'd want the same after having to scrap Quake 1's design and scramble to put something together from the ashes.
And between Quake 2 and Daikatana, Quake 2 is like inarguably the better game. Its way more fun and more memorable if only because it isn't so drat buggy, but also a million other things.

The other guys definitely deserve a lot of recognition, but Carmack and Romero just ended up being the primary personalities behind the game. Probably, I think, because of the easy and fast labels of "Numbers Guy" and "Ideas Guy". Probably also because their names are just really easy to remember, but also uncommon enough to make them stick.

That being said, I've never played Daikatana and have always waffled on whether I should or not. Blood is not my cup of tea at all, so I think I might give it a go.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Is there a mod that fancies up everything like Brutal Doom without all the excessive gameplay changes? I'm not actually sure what I even want, if I'm being honest. I like brutal doom in some aspects, but also hate reloading and assault rifles.

Also, any recommendations on megawads like BTSX? That's been my goto for a long time now and I should probably change it up.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Smooth Doom is great, pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Brigadine is also great. On a lark I loaded it with project brutality and holy lmao I can't even. That is the biggest clusterfuck I've ever attempted to deal with.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Woooah. Sunlust is very good, I think. The second mission was... harrowing, to say the least.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Never played Doom 64 before. Not enough levels involve things smashing you.

e: I feel like these levels are way more symmetrical than normal Doom missions and I'm living for it.

Mister No fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 14, 2018

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

:eyepop:

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Final Doomer w/ the Ancient Aliens loadout

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
The BTSX loadout is probably the weirdest of all of them. The chainsaw replacement, iirc, gives you a damage shield in exchange for health + modifies all the weapons in some fashion, I think. Especially neat, because of how quickly you can grab it in the BTSX maps.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Combo of author being an idiot of several different flavors and (like most things that are popular) an insufferable fanbase.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Things that make the player feel powerful are great, whether in gameplay (super shotguns and riveters) or narrative. That was also my favorite part of hl2 and Max Payne.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Borealis disappeared in some insane Aperture portal experiment right? At that point you could just have insane Tardis like features where the inside of the boat is bigger than the outside and random rooms of the boat can lead to entire pocket dimensions or send you to random points in time and space. Step through a cabin door and suddenly you’re back in Black Mesa at the height of the portal storms or whatever

Step through a cabin door into an infinite series of sewer levels.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Also, dunno if we do DUSK chat here, but I just finished The Escher Labs and that might be my favorite FPS level ever.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Ok, after bouncing off of Blood like a dozen times, I swallowed my pride and played on the second skill level and finished episode 1.

Blood is good, holy moly.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I think my main problem with Blood was twofold, partly it just being really hard with high hp enemies and hitscanners; and also the first couple levels have an arsenal that, while good, I don't feel really gets to shine. It wasn't until I got the shotgun on skill 2 that it felt like it clicked. Also, I just wasn't using dynamite effectively, which feels like a huge deal.

I started episode 2 on skill 3 and I'm having a way better time, now that I *get* the game, and also had the full episode 1 arsenal by like the end of the first level.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I didn't hate the bosses in Project Warlock. They weren't exceptionally good or anything, but they were different enough from the normal enemies that they were compelling enough.

Except I used the bfg type gun to kill the last boss it crashed my game so I didn't get to see an ending or anything if there was one. The Egypt boss also took a handful of lives until I decided to go full Rambo and ignore the spawning enemies.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I only remember Wet for having a pretty dope psychobilly soundtrack. Enjoyed that part of it a lot, though.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

wafflemoose posted:

The only good part of the Doom movie was the first person sequence, they should have just done the whole movie like that, like Hardcore Henry.

I didn't see Hardcore Henry, but doesn't an entire movie based around a first person Doom sequence beg the question, "Why not just go play actual first person Doom?"

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

site posted:

Because hardcore Henry is uhh extremely not doom? Tbh i can't even tell if this is a joke or not

Yeah, but I'm not talking about the Henry movie explicitly, I'm talking about a hypothetical first person Doom movie. I can't see a 90 minute action sequence in first person, being anything but an absolute slog.

e: make a Doom movie, except as a rebranded Mandy (replacing Mandy with a rabbit ofc). Keep Nic Cage as the lead, now Doomguy, and make the action start 20 minutes in instead of an hour an a half. Boom, the first satisfying and potentially emotionally draining videogame movie.

Mister No fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 11, 2019

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The only people who should be making video game movies are Neveldine/Taylor, and Crank is the best video game movie.

Gamer is the most critically underrated movie of all time.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Anyone have any idea why Eviternity, and so far only Eviternity, would be crashing with an access violation? I recently had to reformat and redownload zdl and now I can't get it to work.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I figured it was something weird on my end, because I couldn't find anything else through google regarding the crash. It looks like it's working with gzdoom 3.7.2 though, so I have no idea.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Barudak posted:

It also always bugged me that fir a game where you play a badass gunslinger you a) dont have a revolver or even a handgun and b) you are much more a badass dynamite chucker since everybody else is way better with guns than you.

On the other hand, the way Caleb handles the shotgun feels great and very gunslinger-y. I can appreciate bucking the "gunslinger has to use a revolver" trope, even if the shotgun isn't a WMD like Doom's SSG.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Hot take, but I think Doom 2 is better than Doom.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Shadow Hog posted:

A friend from HG101 reminded me of this tier list he made, and I have to admit, it seems pretty objectively true, doesn't it?

this was a rollercoaster of emotions

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Ion Fury has some drat good feeling weapons and I wish there was a survival mode like in Amid Evil so I could just zone out and blast nerds with the Disperser and not have to worry about anything else.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Isn't that just the chaingun, though? I only played it for like 2 waves, but it seemed like that's what it was.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

fadam posted:

A Mormon was heavily involved in making the first DooM games and that doesn't seem to bother anyone, idk why two of the developers being morons is souring people on the best game released this year so far.

because they're being open and public with their shittiness. even if Doom's mormon believe some lovely stuff, afaik, he kept it to himself and didn't use his position as a platform for barfing it all over.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

fadam posted:

Doesn't matter. He actively participates and contributes to a hate group. I think directly funding homophobia is a lot worse than bad posts in a Discord.

probably, but it's more of a benign hate. if Peterson wasn't a Mormon, the Mormon church would be exactly the same. he wasn't doing interviews pushing his views when the topic was Doom, or going on Doom newsgroups talking about how gay people will go to hell.

the bad posts in discord are just throwing chum out to a social group that's already notorious for being actively lovely to anything outside their perceived normal apropos of nothing. following all the lovely alt-right twitter accounts on their company account is just signal boosting shittier people. it might be less damaging in the long-term compared to an organized religion, but it's also something that can be directly affected, either by raising awareness or convincing people to not give them their money.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

fadam posted:

Maybe there's some nuance to the situation I'm missing, when did Voidpoint do this?

I really disagree. If you hit a button and could erase either Sandy or the transphobic posters from existence, I feel like in either case Mormonism and the alt-right would be exactly the same. Two bozos making bad posts isn't radicalizing anyone.
https://twitter.com/caravanmalice/status/1162547783678566400

it's not really even radicalizing them outright, but when i've seen stuff like this happen before it goes

- post some gross poo poo
- someone is offended by the gross poo poo and says so
- that someone is brigaded or ran out of the server/community, because they've broadcasted the fact that they're not aligned with the gross poo poo

and this gets even easier for the chuds when a person in power is giving them the heads up that they're on their side

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

fadam posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't see how this is worse than Mormonism.

it's just a different kind of bad, and one that a random internet person can more directly affect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

fadam posted:

To quote Pierre Elliott Trudeau, just watch me.

this is such a dumb reaction to all this. your whole thing is Mormonism is worse than internet transphobes, which i'm pretty sure no one disagreed with, but then you just keep hammering on about how much worse Mormons are and in light of that transphobes on discord shouldn't even register to people?

i'm not really sure what the game plan is here other than looking like an rear end in a top hat