Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'm down with Discord. I'm already in half a dozen other channels, another one won't be any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm down for discord. I'm on there as CPS#11939. I might have some time this weekend to go over stuff. I've been deep in the functional lifestyle for the past while so switching back to OOP is going to be a gear shift.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I ride bikes all day posted:

You poor bastard. 3 years helpdesk, never again.

I semi-chose this one and it hasn't been that bad so far.

I work for Nordstrom and we just decided to stop carrying Trump products. You can imagine what my week's been like.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm down for discord. I'm on there as CPS#11939. I might have some time this weekend to go over stuff. I've been deep in the functional lifestyle for the past while so switching back to OOP is going to be a gear shift.

Fortunately all the actually for-serious OOP junk has been mostly finished for a while (that's the back end) so the biggest poo poo we need to worry about is on the UI side - which will have a lot of functional-esque LINQ and imperative sort of programming. Shouldn't be quite so bad.

I'm about to crash but I just joined as Coolguy#9779. In the general channel for now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Some Numbers posted:

I semi-chose this one and it hasn't been that bad so far.

I work for Nordstrom and we just decided to stop carrying Trump products. You can imagine what my week's been like.

You've been swamped by goodhearted Americans thanking you for this small but nonetheless significant blow to Trump's ego?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

General Battuta posted:

You've been swamped by goodhearted Americans thanking you for this small but nonetheless significant blow to Trump's ego?

Yes, exactly.

Except that I've been called all sorts of names and we've been accused of caving to leftist propaganda and other hilariously over the top BS.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

The point basically is that by the end of a day, I've typically worked well over the usual 8 hour shift and it's almost all hard math of some stripe or another. Programming is mostly algebra, so when I get home at the end of the night and think "man, I should really get something with DM done", my brain pretty much immediately gags at the idea of going back into the breach. Telling people to shut the gently caress up about goddamn Long War in the XCOM 2 thread and doing Let's Plays, if you can wrap your head around this, is actually how I try to kick my brain out of that mode. I'm that far gone. :v:

Keep fighting the good fight, Coolguye. Us lurkers in that drat thread believe in you!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Unluckiest definitely sums me up neatly

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Got any tips for teaching the game to a new group? I recently bought it after playing it online for a while. We'll be 5, playing vanilla, and I'm thinking I'll be the president so they won't have to worry about Quorum cards. Hopefully Baltar, since that'll lower the odds of having no cylons pre-sleeper.

The mechanics seem easy enough to explain, I can handle all the micromanaging like moving ships around so they'll only need to understand the basic move -> action -> crisis turn structure and how each card works. Most other stuff isn't too important and can be explained as it comes up (like how XOs work). I'll make sure they understand all the Cylon cards before I deal loyalties (specially how the "send a character on the Galactica to sickbay" one only works on people who are actually on the Galactica).

Is there anything else that can be an issue with new players?

Elman fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 14, 2017

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
This isn't so much a teaching thing as it is a first time playing in person thing, but make sure everyone studies their loyalty cards carefully, for a ten-count or so. There's a certain tendency to glance at the card, see it's you are not a Cylon, and put it down immediately; prevent this.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Secrecy rules. I've read about 20 games on here, and I still have to look up the secrecy rules all the time before I talk in the 1st game I'm actually playing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I ride bikes all day posted:

Secrecy rules. I've read about 20 games on here, and I still have to look up the secrecy rules all the time before I talk in the 1st game I'm actually playing

Especially since they're not all in the printed rule book but clarified in the FAQ.

Don't forget to include the changes to Investigative Committees and Caprica.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Elman posted:

Hopefully Baltar, since that'll lower the odds of having no cylons pre-sleeper.

Baltar might be a problem, seeing as how the only person who knows the rules sets himself up as the player most likely to be the traitor & with a good shot at the most powerful position in the game. If you turn out to be a cylon & win, your players may accuse you of giving bad advice or glossing over portions of the rules that would have not been in your favor.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Make sure everyone is clear that revealing is an action! I've seen many newbies, nervous at being cylon, just blurt out they were before it was their turn or just before they were actually XO'd.

E: tell them not to be nervous as cylons also, the worst thing that happens if they gently caress up is that humanity is saved! Also deckcylon is much stronger than they are, and praise be to it.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 14, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Nevets posted:

Baltar might be a problem, seeing as how the only person who knows the rules sets himself up as the player most likely to be the traitor & with a good shot at the most powerful position in the game. If you turn out to be a cylon & win, your players may accuse you of giving bad advice or glossing over portions of the rules that would have not been in your favor.

This happened to me the first time I played. The guy teaching us ended up being one of the cylons (Baltar to boot) and we all felt like we were just taking his advice without thinking about it too much.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Arivia posted:

Don't forget to include the changes to Investigative Committees and Caprica.

What are these? The one change I meant to make was to allow cylons to give away their 2nd loyalty card straight away when they reveal, since that's how I've always played it (at least without the expansions that make the resurrection ship less pointless).

Nevets posted:

Fair point. Roslin then.

My biggest concern though is that the cylon attack cards won't get shuffled properly and they'll get a lovely first impression of the game. After playing with the Cylon Board it's hard to go back.

...I'm overthinking it anyway. It's a cool game, it'll be fun! :v:

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Elman posted:

What are these? The one change I meant to make was to allow cylons to give away their 2nd loyalty card straight away when they reveal, since that's how I've always played it (at least without the expansions that make the resurrection ship less pointless).

The base game Investigative Committees say the cards from Destiny are played in face up. Pegasus included replacements that say the cards from Destiny are still played in face down. I'm pretty sure we all strongly recommend the use of the Pegasus version, even if you don't have the actual cards.

Base game Caprica says that Crises from it don't get the Prepare for Jump step; Pegasus and Daybreak both came with overlays for all the Cylon locations that change Caprica to say that they do still have the Prepare for Jump step. Frankly, I recommend using all the new Cylon locations as well, but Caprica and the loyalty handoff change you mentioned are the important two.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Also add the 10 card quorum hand size limit, because otherwise you can do duuuumb stuff in Base game.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Max Peck posted:

This isn't so much a teaching thing as it is a first time playing in person thing, but make sure everyone studies their loyalty cards carefully, for a ten-count or so. There's a certain tendency to glance at the card, see it's you are not a Cylon, and put it down immediately; prevent this.

I tend to enforce this for every hidden loyalty game my group plays, even things like Resistance where everyone has just a glance for their role. Generally what I say is something like "And now we are all looking at our loyalty cards and we are all taking about ten seconds to look at our loyalty cards so everyone has a chance to read them and about ten seconds is right and now we are putting our loyalty cards down"

No one's complained at me about it yet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

New player game report: that went pretty well. I mean, it was a weird one --I was a cylon since the beginning, as the Chief, and I instantly got brigged when we failed the first crisis. They helped me out but our president's first Quorum cards were a loyalty card check and, shortly after, an arrest order. I fought it for a while, got some people to think he was the cylon and bet on Baltar being a cylon post-sleeper when he used his detector on the guy who jailed me... But he wasn't, and I was sorta forced to reveal.

Despite a really easy first half of the game for the humans (and fast! they got 3 distance and then the crisis that gave them 1 more), things went south after Sleeper. Our 2nd cylon basically gave himself away by asking an oddly specific question about cylon loyalty cards :v: but we still managed to drop their resources quite a bit, and since their only pilot happened to be a cylon they eventually got overwhelmed by enemy ships. All their civies died and Galactica didn't last long while being hit by 16 raiders at the same time.

It was really close though, they were at 8 distance at that point and they had really bad luck during that cycle, barely finding any jump prep icons. An extra jump prep or two could've saved the day if it came soon enough.

People seemed to enjoy the game, even though there wasn't that much intrigue in this one since both cylons were quickly found and jailed. Their main complaint was that crisis cards could be inconsistent (I'm wondering if it'd be possible to homerule a Cylon Board even if I don't have Exodus yet. It might make things way harder for the humans with no CAG or advanced vipers to balance things out, though).

Elman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2017

• Locked thread