Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

For anyone with Quickload is Shooters World Long Rifle / Lovex S065 listed? That's the one Shooters World powder not on Gordon's Reloading Tool.

Know the burn rate is around Winchester 760 and faster than H4350 but wasn't sure what case fill would be like in 6x47 Lapua. Precision has plenty of room, but SW4350 is way compressed so dunno where Long Rifle would end up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Yond Cassius posted:

3.5gr of Bullseye is a light-ish 38 Special load, so that sounds not unreasonable for estimation purposes. I hadn't heard of using it for rifle cartridges before, though Google says some people have used it for cast-lead gallery loads.

Thatís what the web site recommended for a 158-grain hard cast flat point.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Mundon posted:

For anyone with Quickload is Shooters World Long Rifle / Lovex S065 listed? That's the one Shooters World powder not on Gordon's Reloading Tool.

Know the burn rate is around Winchester 760 and faster than H4350 but wasn't sure what case fill would be like in 6x47 Lapua. Precision has plenty of room, but SW4350 is way compressed so dunno where Long Rifle would end up.

Looks like it's topping out around 39-42gr depending on the bullet. Was there a particular load you wanted simulated?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

tarlibone posted:

I was replying to someone; I didn't come up with the initial nickel-per-round estimate.

I did the math assuming the price was accurate and came up with 3.5 gr per round. I didn't look up want Bullseye is used for, but there are a billion pistol loads that use 3.5 grains of something, so I figured it was an OK estimate.

Actually, whoops. I thought you said Varget. But itís clear bullseye, which is exactly right - 4-5gr for a pistol round. So 1400 rounds, or .07 a shot. Sorry!

E: but thatís still crazy town. I have an 8lb of bullseye I paid $120 for...

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

Looks like it's topping out around 39-42gr depending on the bullet. Was there a particular load you wanted simulated?

Just seeing where the case capacity vs pressure topped out. 6x47 Lapua, Nosler 105gr RDF if you could run that with Long Rifle it would be much appreciated.

At least on Gordon's, Precision hits pressure with a very nice case fill, but I'd be guessing with Long Rifle. Velocity at max pressure between the two would be helpful too.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Mundon posted:

Just seeing where the case capacity vs pressure topped out. 6x47 Lapua, Nosler 105gr RDF if you could run that with Long Rifle it would be much appreciated.

At least on Gordon's, Precision hits pressure with a very nice case fill, but I'd be guessing with Long Rifle. Velocity at max pressure between the two would be helpful too.

Here you go:

Long Rifle:

Precision Rifle:

Almost no difference in velocity between the two.

e: out of a 24" barrel. Precision rifle is notably faster-burning, so the discrepancy might be greater with a different barrel length.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 9, 2021

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Thanks, big help. Surprising it doesn't have Long Rifle getting a 100% burn, probably would pick some up with a longer barrel. In any case good to know, that's getting awfully close to a compressed charge.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

drat it, why'd y'all have to let me know that component prices are insane. Now I'm pondering if I shouldn't list some of the powder and primers I have and buy another rifle. It's not like I'm going shooting much given current conditions anyways!

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Prof. Banks posted:

drat it, why'd y'all have to let me know that component prices are insane. Now I'm pondering if I shouldn't list some of the powder and primers I have and buy another rifle. It's not like I'm going shooting much given current conditions anyways!

The hazmat shipping would be a big headache and eat into your profits there, unless you're talking about selling locally.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

It's Here!!!.

Hopefully once I get my reloading bench setup again. I can give this thing a whirl.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

I never bought 44mag because for the cost of bullets brass and primers it was way cheaper than just buying factory ammo.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Ophidian posted:

I never bought 44mag because for the cost of bullets brass and primers it was way cheaper than just buying factory ammo.

My entire reloading setup paid for itself with .44 magnum alone. I did a break even calculation and I think it was less than 200 rounds of the XTP ammo I use for my rifle loads.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

With the amount of .44mag .450BM and .357mag I shoot itís paid off my reloading setup quite a bit. Counting COVID and now soon to be Bidageddon that AutoTrickler setup should pay its self off by the end of the year with 6.5CM, .264Win Mag, .308 and 7.62x54r. I learned my lesson during obamarama. Only if it was easy to reload .22lr

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

I have "paid" for my reloading setup off 458 Socom alone.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

My Dillon 550 paid for itself twenty years ago when 9mm was $150 per thousand but I could reload it for around half that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iíve long since recouped the price of my press so mostly I look at things in terms of how many rounds I need to reload to pay for the dies.

Most of the time now itís less than a box of ammo. Once you get into the weeds with obsolete military rifle calibers it doesnít take long. Even something common like 7mm Mauser is quick compared to the price of the typical brass cases ammo youíll find on shelves and when you get into the poo poo no one even hunts with you can easily be looking at saving a few bucks per round, if ammo is even available at all through Buffalo Bore.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Oddly enough.

I paid for my progressive press just processing/selling LC 5.56 cases from a military lot. The primer pocket decrimper for the hornady press makes it go stupidly fast.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

shalafi4 posted:

Oddly enough.

I paid for my progressive press just processing/selling LC 5.56 cases from a military lot. The primer pocket decrimper for the hornady press makes it go stupidly fast.

I paid for my Dillon machine trimmer making .300 blackout cases from crimped 5.56. $250/1000 made fast cash.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Bogon posted:

With the amount of .44mag .450BM and .357mag I shoot it’s paid off my reloading setup quite a bit. Counting COVID and now soon to be Bidageddon that AutoTrickler setup should pay its self off by the end of the year with 6.5CM, .264Win Mag, .308 and 7.62x54r. I learned my lesson during obamarama. Only if it was easy to reload .22lr

Good news! Cutting Edge Bullets is offering 22LR primed brass and bullets, as well as reloading dies, for those nutjobs that want to reload 22LR so that they can squeeze every erg of precision out of their fancy rimfire rifles. Right now only 32gr target bullets are available, but they are promising weirdo configurations later that will require super custom barrel orders like a 1:9 twist 22LR barrel. If you don't mind casting your own bullets, I guess you can buy the dies, source the brass from Fedarms, and just add powder for your homebrew loads.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

jwang posted:

Good news! Cutting Edge Bullets is offering 22LR primed brass and bullets, as well as reloading dies, for those nutjobs that want to reload 22LR so that they can squeeze every erg of precision out of their fancy rimfire rifles. Right now only 32gr target bullets are available, but they are promising weirdo configurations later that will require super custom barrel orders like a 1:9 twist 22LR barrel. If you don't mind casting your own bullets, I guess you can buy the dies, source the brass from Fedarms, and just add powder for your homebrew loads.

... me want.

Edit:

I'm not sure my reloading investment has paid off of I go by the ammo process in the beforetimes. I don't shoot any exotic rifle calibers, or any common ones other than .223/5.56. But now, I'm seeing boxes of 9 mm going for high-end 44 magnum prices or worse. I could probably load the last 9 mm and 38 special I have primers for (400 or 500 tops) and make it all back at the current market prices.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 22, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

I got into reloading because Norma 6.5x55 was 50 dollars a box when I started hunting.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Ophidian posted:

I feel your pain. I keep looking at poo poo like 9x25 Dillon and 460 rowland

See the glock thread im building a p80 I was given that thing will die a glorious cracked frame and or slide death. Slide and barrel is on order I need more 10mm brass and ww296 to sacrifice to the 9x25 gods.

This pistol is going to be gloriously dumb.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I started at the beginning of the pandemic panic because being in California it's more or less the only way to have a reliable supply of 9mm, since we can't order ammo online, but we can order components. I've got it mostly figured out now where I can load 200-300 before a match without toooo much hassle, but if things ever get back to where I can buy blazer brass for 17cpr-ish again, I'll go back to doing that.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

Next up in "finding solutions for things that don't have questions"

Working on developing a spray coating for 5.7x28 brass. Because the polymer coating will wear off over time.

Alternate use for brass if that fails. Working to make worn out 5.7x28 brass into .308/.311 bullets.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shot in the dark, but does anyone here have any info on a load for Patrone 88, aka 8mm Mauser's round-nosed daddy, aka 8x57mm I?

This poo poo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrone_88

My gut right now says ~200gr round nose gas checked lead (of a bore appropriate diameter after slugging) sitting over the min load data for regular 8mm, but I'm looking to sanity check that if anyone has some insight.

And let me add that the existence of normal 8mm IS makes googling for this round loving hard.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Shot in the dark, but does anyone here have any info on a load for Patrone 88, aka 8mm Mauser's round-nosed daddy, aka 8x57mm I?

This poo poo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrone_88

My gut right now says ~200gr round nose gas checked lead (of a bore appropriate diameter after slugging) sitting over the min load data for regular 8mm, but I'm looking to sanity check that if anyone has some insight.

And let me add that the existence of normal 8mm IS makes googling for this round loving hard.

Oddly enough QuickLoad has this in its database. Here's something I whipped up quickly, let me know if there are specific powders or projectiles you want to try.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

Oddly enough QuickLoad has this in its database. Here's something I whipped up quickly, let me know if there are specific powders or projectiles you want to try.

Varget if you would be so kind.

edit: also thanks a ton, this will help a lot.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Varget if you would be so kind.

edit: also thanks a ton, this will help a lot.

This looks like a nice safe load:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

fatman1683 posted:

This looks like a nice safe load:

Awesome, thanks.

Interestingly looks like my gut was more or less right. One of my go-to lightly loaded 8mm mauser loads is 47.something grains of varget. I'll start a bit lower than that and work up.

Thanks.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Where the hell have all the neck turners gone? I can't imagine people are hoarding...... neck turners?

Just rebarreled into 6x47 Lapua and the reamer used is pretty tight. That + Peterson brass probably isn't going to be ideal.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 27, 2021

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Bob Mundon posted:

Where the hell have all the neck turners gone? I can't imagine people are hoarding...... neck turners?

Just rebarreled into 6x47 Lapua and the reamer used is pretty tight. That + Peterson brass probably isn't going to be ideal.

People dont think manufacturing capacity and priority be like it do but it is.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

I smell a new thread title.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bob Mundon posted:

I smell a new thread title.

Well played, Mods.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Man I was going to suggest ďReloading - looking for fingats in all the wrong placesĒ but this one is *chefs kiss*

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Reloading: Because I don't care too much for money, money can't feed my guns

or

Reloading: Because that icon isn't a thing you can just buy.

or

Reloading: One cannot simply... *buy*... ammo.

Yeah, none of 'em are too good. Sometimes, it's pointless to try to name a thread. It's gotta be organic. This is like George trying to come up with his own nickname. He wasn't a T-Bone. (That's my thing.)

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 28, 2021

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Captain Logís Butt: Still Ainít Broke

In reloading content, Iím about to give up on .32 acp.

-My Casefeeder hates the cases, and frequently fills to overflowing and spews them on the floor, because the ďstopĒ lever doesnít get actuated

-despite multiple tricks, station 1 still needs me to intervene nearly 50% of the time to avoid being crushed

-Even splitting crimp/ seat, I still get too much pinching and shaving on the bullets

-Iím reconciled to not using 85gr bullets, which are much happier in .32 revolver loads, but 71gr bullets are just the worst for being fiddly.

I even tried to do this with my single stage, only to find that the completed cartridges were not seating right, after manually charging 240 cartridges. Which I then had to dump. I want to love .32, but it hurts me so bad.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dalaram posted:

Captain Logís Butt: Still Ainít Broke

In reloading content, Iím about to give up on .32 acp.

-My Casefeeder hates the cases, and frequently fills to overflowing and spews them on the floor, because the ďstopĒ lever doesnít get actuated

-despite multiple tricks, station 1 still needs me to intervene nearly 50% of the time to avoid being crushed

-Even splitting crimp/ seat, I still get too much pinching and shaving on the bullets

-Iím reconciled to not using 85gr bullets, which are much happier in .32 revolver loads, but 71gr bullets are just the worst for being fiddly.

I even tried to do this with my single stage, only to find that the completed cartridges were not seating right, after manually charging 240 cartridges. Which I then had to dump. I want to love .32, but it hurts me so bad.

Hey there, buddy, cheer up. There might be someone who's interested in loading .32 ACP, and boy are they a glutton for punishment.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Dalaram posted:

Captain Log’s Butt: Still Ain’t Broke

In reloading content, I’m about to give up on .32 acp.

-My Casefeeder hates the cases, and frequently fills to overflowing and spews them on the floor, because the “stop” lever doesn’t get actuated

-I’m reconciled to not using 85gr bullets, which are much happier in .32 revolver loads, but 71gr bullets are just the worst for being fiddly.

I have everything for .32 except for a good powder at this point. Yeah, there are recipes for unique but gently caress measuring in tiny amounts

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

infrared35 posted:

Hey there, buddy, cheer up. There might be someone who's interested in loading .32 ACP, and boy are they a glutton for punishment.

Yeah, Sten Freak is my key bad influence, with his work on 7.65 longue and other oddballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

infrared35 posted:

*sadly preps another 100 .32 acp's*

realizes they're not too bad and looks at the box with .25 acp and 5.7x28's in it. There's where torment lies. (5.7 is the only round that I'm almost paranoid about loading, and I refuse to shoot the reloads through my pistol)