Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ophidian posted:

Reloading discord is way faster to get notifications.

Iíve been flush on varget because of that discord as well as other components.

I may have to try to figure out how to Discord, then.

I was going to get some Varget because I'm going to start loading 223, at some point. But then Pestilence happened. I haven't seen hide nor hair of a rifle primer, and it's been a while since I saw any powder, but I've given up for the time being. I have dies and brass, but nothing else. I'd still like to get some 2400 for some full magnum loads, although I may have to settle for H110 because it seems like it's a lot easier to find. It prefers magnum primers, though.

It's just a poopy time to be a reloader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

Yeah, I've slowed down my shooting to conserve my supplies. Fortunately large rifle primers weren't as hard hit as small pistol so I was able to stock up with a couple thousand, but projectiles are nowhere to be found. It sounds like Campro will be shipping out a batch to stores in mid-April, so I guess I'm gonna have to be ready to do a huge order if I want to do any appreciable amount of shooting this year.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My shooting is way down. I did the shooting challenge this month, and that was the first non-rimfire shooting I'd done since January. And, I didn't do much in January. I might not shoot much for a couple of months or so, even though I do have a thousand or so large pistol primers. I have maybe 400 or 500 small pistol primers.

The only reloading and shooting I'll be doing much of for a while looks to be harvesting BBs from my garage shooting range.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

The only thing Iím short on is SRP but thatís still 900 and I use them for a gun I havenít even shot since I put it together in March of last year so no worries about running out.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Hello all, just getting into reloading after not having done it since I was like 7 (and of course at that point I was de-priming or cleaning corncob out of primer pockets). I read the last like 50 pages, and am setting up discord now to hopefully find some primers soon.

I will spare you the details of what I inherited from my grandfather, but does anyone shoot .25-06 any more? I ended up with scads of Sierra .25 projectiles, a can each of IMR 4350 and IMR 4895, and a set of dies for .25-06, but the rifle had been sold years earlier. He had other rifles, and reloaded as well for his .30-06, but I didn't get any other dies.

And if those powders aren't any good for pistol, as I suspect, then I'm hoping to find someone in the Houston area to trade for small pistol primers, though I know I can't do trades through here, of course. I currently only have a .38 revolver and a couple of 9mm.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Note to future self and a life lesson don't talk to people on the phone while reloading. Got my first squib load with no powder charge, I don't want to screw up this rifle as it has significant family value it's the M1917 my grandfather stormed Guadalcanal with so please call me an Idiot. I'm hoping It's not far into the rifling and this will be easy to get out.

Edit: Not going to use Pencils

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Bogon posted:

Note to future self and a life lesson don't talk to people on the phone while reloading. Got my first squib load with no powder charge, I don't want to screw up this rifle as it has significant family value it's the M1917 my grandfather stormed Guadalcanal with so please call me an Idiot. I'm hoping It's not far into the rifling and this will be easy to get out.

Edit: Not going to use Pencils

Brass rod is going to be your best bet.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'm going to the gun show in Pasadena, TX tomorrow (fully vaccinated as of yesterday) and will update the thread if I see any reloading supplies, though I expect to get raked over the coals if I can find some primers, maybe a little more powder.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Oddhair posted:

I'm going to the gun show in Pasadena, TX tomorrow (fully vaccinated as of yesterday) and will update the thread if I see any reloading supplies, though I expect to get raked over the coals if I can find some primers, maybe a little more powder.

In case you weren't aware, it does take a bit for the vaccine to work it's full magic. So please continue to be careful.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0402-travel-guidance-vaccinated-people.html posted:

A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last recommended dose of vaccine.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Oddhair posted:

Don't expect much last show I was at powder was x2 the normal price per lb. and primers were averaging 200 per 1k.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bogon posted:

Don't expect much last show I was at powder was x2 the normal price per lb. and primers were averaging 200 per 1k.

Yeah, component prices are even stupider than ammo prices right now.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

honestly, if you work from home join the r/reloading discord and hover over it or load discord on your phone and hopefully you have an unlimited data plan. I've kept myself flush with components this way since this poo poo show started last year and keeping the cpr down to a reasonable level. Just wish I could be fast enough to snag some LPM and SPM I'm down to 2k each. Actually, I need to inventory my crap this weekend. I just ordered 2000 10mm brass need to see if I can actually reload it. But 1k of them are destined for 9x25 dillon and my retarded PA80 build. Speaking of that need to get my hands on w296. My last 8lbs only lasted 3 months.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bogon posted:

honestly, if you work from home join the r/reloading discord....

How does one do that? It took forever to figure out how to join the TFR discord, and that was with "directions" that at one point had lots of people doing the same wrong thing. (I assume this to be the case because I eventually saw chatter about how you're not supposed to do something before you do something else or something won't work or something like that.)

Pretend that you're explaining this to a person who doesn't discord.

Edit: Wait, this is from Reddit? Oh, they make it easy.

A certain firearm board on a certain Internets forum could take a lesson.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

It's a mild deterrent against banned folks causing trouble/subverting off-site socials. The last TFR Discord was killed because of bad members. It only got resurrected when SA itself was going through the exigent crisis around Lowtax's domestic abuse and folks wanted a way to possibly re-form TFR if the site shut down.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, component prices are even stupider than ammo prices right now.

I've been heavily researching reloading because of ammo prices and I have that fear that a lot of folks have that this scarcity/price hike crap is never slowing down. A friend taught me to reload the other day and I've been looking into getting a kit. I shoot mostly 9mm luger and 5.45x39. Is this a dumb idea? Should I just keep buying ammo instead of trying to get into reloading?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

The Caldwell G2 is SO MUCH BETTER than the regular/old Caldwell chrono.

9/10

Can only really deduct points for the weird tripod screw on thing that doesn't really work right so I have to run the bolt stud all the way "up" then spin the entire chrono around onto it instead of just turning the screw/knob into the chrono. Going to get a different/better tripod anyway so its a moot point.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

knuthgrush posted:

I've been heavily researching reloading because of ammo prices and I have that fear that a lot of folks have that this scarcity/price hike crap is never slowing down. A friend taught me to reload the other day and I've been looking into getting a kit. I shoot mostly 9mm luger and 5.45x39. Is this a dumb idea? Should I just keep buying ammo instead of trying to get into reloading?

5.45x39 is doable now but your component selection is REALLY limited.

they're .219~0.220 diameter projectiles vs the .224 for normal "22 caliber" rounds.

So you're either buying the projectiles from hornady or sizing down your bullets before you can load them.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Got all excited to land 500 Berger 105 Hybrids for sub $200 today.......and then Natchez cancelled the order.

Way to be a buzzkill guys.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Bob Mundon posted:

Got all excited to land 500 Berger 105 Hybrids for sub $200 today.......and then Natchez cancelled the order.

WTF

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 12, 2021

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

ZebraBlade posted:

Brass rod is going to be your best bet.

Was not that bad I dropped one of my dewy rods down the barrel and it knocked it right now it was just barely touching the rifling.

knuthgrush posted:

You can do it but like I said previously you need to be on the r/reloading discord and jump on the deal as soon as its posted. I lost out today on getting SPM primers by stepping away to make coffee.

Bob Mundon posted:

That was one I missed today they went stupid quick.

Also Inventoried my primers this week starting to run low and Im out of LRM:

2000 SR
5000 LR
1200 SPM
1700 SP
1700 LPM
1600 LP

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Bogon posted:

You can do it but like I said previously you need to be on the r/reloading discord and jump on the deal as soon as its posted. I lost out today on getting SPM primers by stepping away to make coffee.

I appreciate that but I have little desire to camp out on either discord or reddit. Not real keen on having accounts in those places anyhow.

There's sometimes primers and such available locally. My thought process was to buy the equipment while prices have gone down a bit and then hope to pick up primers etc as I go. At that point though, I'll still be buying bullets.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

The rate at which primers are snatched up on the r/reloading Discord is pretty crazy anyways. Some CCI 34s were posted on Midway today and sold out within nine minutes. Unless you are going to install Discord on your phone with notifications so you can place an order within minutes of a deal posting you arent likely to have much luck.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Bogon posted:

Also Inventoried my primers this week starting to run low and Im out of LRM:

2000 SR
5000 LR
1200 SPM
1700 SP
1700 LPM
1600 LP

Ah yes, quite low. **glances at the 1700 primers that should get me through the next 5 years (or more)**

I wish I had the level of opportunity to use that many primers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Requesting name change to Dewy Rod