Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Uncle Caveman posted:

As for powder, check out IMR Trail Boss. It's an extremely bulky smokeless aimed at the CAS market. It's designed to emulate the volume of black powder - in most all cartridges (i.e. every straight-walled pistol round), you can simply load to capacity without risk of overcharge (i.e. the same way you would load for black powder cartridges), with the same mild recoil and low velocities as BP. I've been loading .44mag for my Redhawk and it is just fun on a bun.

Just be careful not to compress Trail Boss.

As for cast bullets, lots of enterprising shooters have just bought some Magma Engineering equipment and opened bullet casting shops. You probably have a local guy and don't even know it. The Oklahoma guys (J&K) are more expensive than Missouri Bullet pre-shipping but they're almost always at the big gunshows and practical shooting events around here so I save a lot on bullets by buying face to face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah, I should have added - when loading Trail Boss by volume, you want to start by filling to capacity and then reducing by ~10%.

For reference, actual black powder loads need to be compressed as BP is much faster burning than any smokeless - you don't want any void between bullet & charge.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

Where would you recommend I shop for ingredients needed to cook up some .38/.357 cowboy loads? I was already leaning to Midway

That RimRock place I linked makes really great bullets. If you are just doing cowboy loads look into swaged lead bullets. They are flat based and will lead alot less then bevel base bullets at low vels.

I like Magnus swaged bullets. I have loaded and shot maybe 1k of them and they are really great.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

I haven't found Trail Boss particularly remarkable for .38. Titegroup's all right, though, especially under a 158gr SWC.

ZebraBlade posted:

I will be using Berrys plated 124gn round nose bullets for now, but I hear that if you push Berrys over 1k fps the plated jacket will separate and destroy accuracy so eventually I will be shooting hard cast.

Nope. Berry's recommends to keep it under 1200 fps, which is easy for 9mm. Their 124gn round-noses are great. Also, I use their 158gn .357s with no ill effects even with maximum loads (north of 1300 fps I think)

Also, anyone complaining about excess leading on 9mm needs to suck it up. It's dirtier than jacketed/plated but not by much, and the savings is well worth it, with only a few exceptions. I've only ever had proper excess leading (smoke, fouling) when I push the handgun bullets north of 1200 FPS.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Newbie reloader question ahoy: When you open the mouth of the case, do you only partially pull the lever? I'm getting someone to help me this week but I was messing around with the press last night and pulled the lever all the way on the 2nd die and it belled the mouth of the case so far it wouldn't even fit in the bullet seating die.

Also I got my dispenser to fairly consistently throw 3.5 grains of Unique so I'm pretty happy about that. Still, I noticed that 'close' on my scale was probably .1 grain off so I may need to move up to a better dispenser....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

if you back the die out it'll bell less.

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Sten Freak posted:

Newbie reloader question ahoy: When you open the mouth of the case, do you only partially pull the lever? I'm getting someone to help me this week but I was messing around with the press last night and pulled the lever all the way on the 2nd die and it belled the mouth of the case so far it wouldn't even fit in the bullet seating die.

Also I got my dispenser to fairly consistently throw 3.5 grains of Unique so I'm pretty happy about that. Still, I noticed that 'close' on my scale was probably .1 grain off so I may need to move up to a better dispenser....

Ilkhan is right, you adjust the "belling" die until running the press all the way gives you the proper flare (which should be an almost imperceptible amount).

Your powder measure may not be the problem. I tried Unique once and had all kinds of trouble getting it to measure well. Try some different powders until you find one that you're comfortable with, I love Winchester Super Target for pistols.

Also, .1 grain of powder variation in a pistol is not a big deal at all. Don't lose sleep over it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Pursus posted:

Ilkhan is right, you adjust the "belling" die until running the press all the way gives you the proper flare (which should be an almost imperceptible amount).

Your powder measure may not be the problem. I tried Unique once and had all kinds of trouble getting it to measure well. Try some different powders until you find one that you're comfortable with, I love Winchester Super Target for pistols.

Also, .1 grain of powder variation in a pistol is not a big deal at all. Don't lose sleep over it.
OK I had the die going hog wild. The shell probably opened up another 2mm whoops.

I'll take your powder recommendation and variation comment to heart but apparently this cartridge gun combo is very sensitive and .1 grain can be the difference between it running 100% and overpressure. (7.65 Long in MAS-38 open bolt SMG) Still, I'll look for another recipe that doesn't use Unique for a backup.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Pursus posted:

With the caveat of course that some cartridges are more sensitive than others. But, yes, if I'm not near max, I don't worry about it.

Sten Freak posted:

belling woes

There's a technique for adjusting the crimping, seating, and flaring dies.

Stick a piece of brass in the press, and push the handle allll the way down. You want the brass to be as high as it can go in the press.

For the flaring die, make sure the flaring plug is seated firmly in the die (Lee dies might not do this), then start screwing in the die until you get firm resistance from the brass. Back out the brass just a little bit, then give the die another 1/4 turn clockwise. Push the brass up (pull the lever) all the way, again, and see if the bullet fits. It should poke in just above the bevel (if there is one). Basically, you're trying to bell as little as possible to make it so the bullet can force its way into the brass when you seat it, without taking off chunks of itself. Repeat until it fits.

For crimping, it's the same thing, but you might even adjust with 1/8 turns. With the crimping die, an extra 1/2 turn can be the difference between "I can't feel it" and "oh god it's digging into my bullet." Less so with taper crimps, but still. With taper crimping, you just want to undo the belling so the bullet doesn't move back/forth in the brass when it chambers.

With seating, if your seater die is also a crimp die, you want to seat the die as indicated before, but maybe back it out a little bit (1/4 turn) when you meet resistance from the shell. From there, adjust the seater plug carefully and check with your micrometer until you get the desired COL (usually I go for the nearest 5 thousandths for pistol ammo).

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Primer type question:
Is it going to cause any issues if I am using magnum small pistol primers as opposed to small pistol primers if I am using a powder load that is below maximum?

What issues, if any, would result in using a magnum primer on a non magnum load?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

.223R with a cannelure I should be seating at the cannelure and crimping it tight enough to hold the bullet from wiggling around, yes?
I was seating just on the edge of the cannelure and some were hitting it enough to not get crimped and thus the bullet was sliding around. An odd thing.

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

My trip to Austin this weekend resulted in an awesome hangover, but also some Cabela's shopping. I only had 100 rounds of .40 left so...

500 Rainier 165 gr FP
1 lb. of Unique
Factory crimp die
1000 CCI small pistol primers

I finished case prep on 600 cases last week so I am ready to start cranking out that 500. I don't shoot a whole lot of pistol at a time so that should last me for the rest of the year unless I get wiley and try to do 3-gun.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

ilkhan posted:

.223R with a cannelure I should be seating at the cannelure and crimping it tight enough to hold the bullet from wiggling around, yes?
I was seating just on the edge of the cannelure and some were hitting it enough to not get crimped and thus the bullet was sliding around. An odd thing.

Generally, with a cannelure, you want the case mouth to be in the middle or at the top of the cannelure, so the mouth can be pressed into the cannelure by the crimp die.

And if your bullets are wiggling around without a crimp, something is wrong with your brass. You shouldn't be able to move the bullets in the case by hand pressure, with or without crimp. A crimp just makes sure the bullets don't start moving out during recoil.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Brownell's just started carrying ammo, so they've got a deal going where you can use coupon code CXL to get 5% off and free shipping on orders over $199 that contain ammo.

Sinclair's (their sister site) has good prices on Varget and Remington primers right now, so I picked up two 8# jugs and 5000 primers, and threw in a $3 box of .22 ammo to get the discount. Buying locally and not in bulk is almost twice as expensive for me.

edit: a $25 hazmat fee still applies, of course, but it's still that much cheaper

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

hammertime with GimpsuitJones
http://www.outlawperformance.com/mo..._lee_loader.htm

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 27, 2011

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Comfy sponk posted:

Primer type question:
Is it going to cause any issues if I am using magnum small pistol primers as opposed to small pistol primers if I am using a powder load that is below maximum?

What issues, if any, would result in using a magnum primer on a non magnum load?

It's difficult to predict exactly without a copy of Quickload. It will ignite more of the powder right off, and will probably finish faster like my penis, causing a sharper pressure curve, so generally it's something to avoid.

Anything in particular you're trying to do?

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

It's difficult to predict exactly without a copy of Quickload. It will ignite more of the powder right off, and will probably finish faster like my penis, causing a sharper pressure curve, so generally it's something to avoid.

Anything in particular you're trying to do?

Not gently caress up my gun.

Mostly, it's that the retailer that I go to for my supplies were out of small pistol primers and only had magnum, so I was wondering if there would be that much of an issue.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

I assume there is some sort of subtle reason for switching from a hammer to a large plank of wood?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

B4Ctom1 posted:

Man, every time with the last board hit I just lose it.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

IuniusBrutus posted:

I assume there is some sort of subtle reason for switching from a hammer to a large plank of wood?

His hammer broke so he switched to a bat.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Comfy sponk posted:

Not gently caress up my gun.

Mostly, it's that the retailer that I go to for my supplies were out of small pistol primers and only had magnum, so I was wondering if there would be that much of an issue.

You'll definitely wanna re-test if you switch primers, magnum or not. I've heard stories of safe loads blowing primers and rupturing cases from a simple primer switch.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

I bought a big rear end pile of old reloading poo poo off a guy the other day and it had one of these things in there. The instruction guide just looks like a step by step guide to going blind or worse.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

mischief posted:

I bought a big rear end pile of old reloading poo poo off a guy the other day and it had one of these things in there. The instruction guide just looks like a step by step guide to going blind or worse.

I have one for x54r, I have used one for 308 in my childhood. No ill effects.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm sure they're fine, the manual is just hilarious.

"Okay, this part is explosive. Hit it with a hammer. Scoop up some more explosive stuff. Hit that with a hammer too."

Just made me laugh.

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

I found an old .357 Lee Loader in my Dad's stuff. I guess it was his before he got the press or maybe my grandpa's. I finally youtubed how to use it the other day since it didn't have instructions. Why would anyone do that to themselves?

In the opposite end of that; getting my uniflow working again has made it go so much faster. I can't imagine how I even loaded rounds by weighing each load.

My client gave me some Hornady rounds today to check out while I was at his house preparing for a child custody hearing. Yay me!

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

I am going to try to reload some .223
Recipe I will use in my mini 14 to try and get a resemblance of accuracy out of it:
Bullet: SIERRA 1380 HPBT Match 69gr
Powder: N140 24 gr
OAL: 57mm
Primer: CCI Small Rifle.

Weak link:

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

That's not steel, is it?

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

thermobollocks posted:

That's not steel, is it?

It is whatever old wolf casings are made out of...

I follow an English guy on youtube (lol guns in england) that shoots a single shot mini-14(!) and he reloads using old wolf casings. He claims to get the same accuracy out of it as ordinary brass. I guess it is just tougher on the reloading dies?

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

Heintron posted:

It is whatever old wolf casings are made out of...

I follow an English guy on youtube (lol guns in england) that shoots a single shot mini-14(!) and he reloads using old wolf casings. He claims to get the same accuracy out of it as ordinary brass. I guess it is just tougher on the reloading dies?

Don't those use Berdan primers?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

I've read about reloading steel cases before, pretty sure it was Arfcom. Just recently I put a few Tula 55 grain rounds through my Bushmaster, to see if they would cycle any better than the 62 grain Wolf. They mostly fed and cycled fine, and the cases got picked up with the rest of the brass, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

The resized just fine (miced the case mouth at .222" after sizing). Trimming was different. If you're using power tools, use higher speed, but less pressure. Seemed to leave the cases cleaner cut than slower speeds.

I'm going to buy a few more boxes of 55 grain Tula, and see about making some "Mexican Match" ammo out of it, and compare it to handloads in Tula steel cases. Should be fun, if nothing else.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Unskilled Labour posted:

Apparently not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-cJrfdAdz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oErMKO8pwUg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4YpPxhjDE

I am going to try it. At least until I can get my hands on some proper casings.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Can't you just ski over to the Lapua factory or something?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Unskilled Labour posted:

Most now uses boxer, some of the pistol too.

I even saw a guy formed some x39 into 6.5 Gren for

Unskilled Labour
Jul 23, 2009

Good to know. I found some cheap Tula .308 at my local gunstore. Now that I think about it, that may have been boxer primed as well.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

GroovinPickle posted:

Can't you just ski over to the Lapua factory or something?

Those fuckers probably make gold casings. At least that is what the price of them would indicate

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They sure last long.

Then again, 1. neck sizing unless you're loading for autos (is this strictly required? Anyone necksize for autos?) and 2. annealing cheap cartridges yourself to soften the neck metal to make them last longer. Haven't tried the latter, but I know of people who swear by it.

But I'm gonna buy Lapua cases for the .260 any which way as soon as the Remingtons wear out just because (possibly never because of Remington apparently reaming their varmint barrel chambers tighter than a Mongol virgin - I think I trimmed length of the main case batch sometime back in 2007 or 2008, about eight reloads ago.)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

SR's first reloads:

On far right, 7.65 Longue compared to 7.62 Tokarev and 9mm.

The OAL is supposed to be 1.189. The first two cartridges were exactly 1.189 and 3 others in this batch since. My friend who reloads a lot was surprised. I just thought they all came out that way heh. The previous owner did send the dies in to RCBS be polished and fitted to these specific bullets and brass which may be a reason the OALs are coming out so well.

On the other hand, getting my powder measure to give me exactly 3.5 gr has been a little more difficult but I'm hoping my handle pulling technique will become more consistent.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I always give the lever an extra half throw to make sure all the powder grains pour through. Usually hear a few tumbling down.

Which powder measure do you have? Does it crunch the powder grains (not likely for pistol powders)?

You could experiment with different powders if you have trouble getting consistent loads, but unless you're talking major deviations I don't consider pistol loads to be that dependent on exactness of powder weights.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sjurygg posted:

I always give the lever an extra half throw to make sure all the powder grains pour through. Usually hear a few tumbling down.

Which powder measure do you have? Does it crunch the powder grains (not likely for pistol powders)?

You could experiment with different powders if you have trouble getting consistent loads, but unless you're talking major deviations I don't consider pistol loads to be that dependent on exactness of powder weights.

Subgun loads for 7.65 longue are evidently pretty sensitive (fine line between bad things happening and the gun not running?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Those loving wolf casings killed my depriming pin
I did not even feel any kind of strange extra pressure. It just bent and fell out

Welp, time to get one of those universal depriming dies with a shitload of extra depriming pins.