Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regex
Jul 20, 2010

Have you considered an outsourced SaaS provider? There's quite a few companies that offer patch management, a centralized management/login portal, antivirus, etc.

I've used Zenith Infotech (http://www.zenithinfotech.com/) before - a pretty standard Indian MSP company. There's a few like them, but that's the only one I have experience with.

They whitelist and push out patches, have a scripting interface, you can push out agents from a central location, etc. It includes a license to Vipre, remote access is LogMeIn, all that good stuff. You can schedule alerts, and have them call you if a server goes down or whatever. It's all white label, too - so you can rebrand it with your logo/name.

Quality can be a little spotty (likely because it's cheap) - probably one in twenty agents have to be manually fixed, and it can take them 15 minutes to call about a server down, but it works okay for most things. YMMV.

A larger MSP will outgrow them pretty fast, but it's a decent way to get started until you've grown large enough to put together something custom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regex
Jul 20, 2010

mindphlux posted:

Cool, no I haven't really considered this much. I know a few of the providers I've looked at offer this sort of thing, but it always just seemed a little shady to me. How is their support, other than the small lagtimes, etc? I've actually had clients who have had outsourced support like this (mostly for very specific applications, like strange proprietary healthcare software), and they all just are constantly banging their head against a wall while dealing with some dude in India. I'm not sure that's what I wanna offer people paying me good money, but if it's fairly unobtrusive and cheap, it might be worth considering I guess?

We actually didn't use their helpdesk services at all - we still took care of that part. We only had them working on the back-office stuff, so pretty much none of our clients ever knew they existed. Since it's all white-label, and we were the only ones to talk to them, there's pretty much no end user impact.

Support's not bad, but you'll really only ever use it when a LogMeIn agent doesn't install right or something like that.

Really, it's more just getting the toolset from them - AV, remote access, patch whitelisting, and alerts. We sell a level of service, and we only felt comfortable with our offering if we were in complete control of that portion.

VVV Pretty much this. VVV

Regex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 27, 2011

• Locked thread