Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use Aerohive quotes to beat down Meraki quotes with, the two companies have very similar product offerings. Meraki wins out for having a better web portal and making it really easy to do stuff, Aerohive lets you fiddle with way more stuff but definitely needs you to know more about what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The problem with trying to put any sort of indicative pricing on your website is that every customer is going to be a little bit different and have different requirements. You can end up loving yourself in multiple ways - people will expect the price on your website to be the maximum they will have to pay for something, and potential clients might be put off by what they see is a high price and never get in contact. Being able to open up a conversation with these people to get an idea of their budgets and therefore what service they can expect is important.

If you have a set of services that are a fixed cost to you then by all means list those.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The problem with storage on the hosts is that while it's quite cheap in terms of licensing and the fact you already own the hardware that the disks are going into, it really doesn't work particularly well with the smaller VMware deployment of having 2-3 hosts, since you end up having to lose so much capacity due to the fact the data is only spread across a few nodes.

Is the Dell VRTX completely out of the question? It seems to do some magic regarding shared storage that I don't fully understand.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 1, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've said it before, possibly in this thread - if Dell did an OptiPlex branded version of the current-gen i3 NUC with a 240GB SSD, 8GB RAM and an Intel Wi-Fi / Bluetooth card with an internal PSU (Mac Mini style) I wouldn't be able to hand them money quick enough. All the traditional enterprise PC people seem to want to continue down the path of cases large enough to sit a monitor on, optical drive, poo poo slow hard drive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd just need to be buying OEM licensing for each box. If you are building the boxes and selling them onto your own customers then you should be at the point where you are purchasing from distributors.

The VL is only an upgrade, so you need a Pro edition of Windows licensed already. In education I think you can get away with a Home edition.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Two Server 2012 R2 DCs in Azure in a Virtual Network, connected back to the main site over a VPN. These can do DHCP (via DHCP relay) and DNS. That gives you a 'real' AD that you can use for Office 365, Dropbox, RADIUS etc. Keep a NAS on site for local file storage, scan destinations etc - again this will be AD bound.

Print directly to each printer using the printer hostname. Or look to something like Bonjour so it literally adds itself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jesus Stick posted:

You're saying use the two DCs across all my clients?

No, sorry. That was per-client.

If they can't afford the ongoing costs for 2 tiny Azure VMs and the VPN then they are probably beyond help and you'll have to resign yourself to using the email hosting platform as the directory and only buying in services that can hook into it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What are your recommendations for structured storing of data about client sites (e.g. servers should include user accounts, IPs, serial number, specs etc. network hardware should include user accounts, IP addresses, interfaces, maybe even be able to virtually cable devices together).

The most important thing is that it's easy to put the data into the system, easy to edit it, and easy to pull it back out. My experience with GLPI has taught me that while it's very powerful, it's also horrendous to use, so nobody does. Search is incredibly important - I want to be able to type in "[client] router" and it shows me everything that is categorized as a router relating to that client.

I guess an alternative to something specifically designed for IT hardware would be a wiki style application that can be divided up by client with some customizable and enforced templates, but that sounds like a lot of work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't complain about Zendesk, but I don't pay the bills.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agreed, show them what they got that month as a reminder that you are worth having around. If it supports actually billing the hourly rate and then discounting it due to it being inclusive to their contract then ever better.

The place I currently work at doesn't believe in putting product model numbers in quotes because then people will just buy it somewhere else after we've done the work to spec out the solution. I can't begin to express how much I hate that attitude. If the only thing stopping people buying hardware somewhere else is that they don't know what to get then you either have lovely clients or your service isn't worth a god drat. In either case, being elusive as gently caress about what the customer is actually paying for isn't the answer. gently caress it, a consultancy fee for speccing out a system credited against the hardware invoice would be better if you're really that worried about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Back on the topic of remote assistance tools, does anyone have any experience with ScreenConnect? The website looks like poo poo, the product features are pretty extensive, and the pricing is incredibly keen.

Is it cheap for a reason? I'm probably going to trial it but it would be good to know if I'm wasting my time before I get too far in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds good. Roughly how many concurrent sessions do you run on the server and what sort of load do you see as a result of that? I'm trying to work out if I could get away with hosting it on an Azure instance.

• Locked thread