Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
I work for a small MSP and we use a combination of VNC/Teamviewer for remote access, plus a combination of DeepMeterix IP Monitor and PRTG for monitoring. The battle between IPmon and PRTG is contentious in my office, IPMon has always been great providing consistent results for us but it lacks the functionality we're looking for that we have with PRTG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
PRTG can be setup to monitor directly from the PRTG server to check things externally which for us is mostly ping, http, and smtp. If you want more intrusive monitoring you need to install a probe one one device inside the network that uses WMI sensors. We mostly check things like disk usage, CPU usage, whether the Exchange store is online, etc.

If it is setup properly you can have certain sensors dependent upon a master, for example, if the WAN interface ping is down I don't need it to tell me that everything else is offline. This seems somewhat intuitive but it needs to be setup. In addition, we have it send out text messages if something is offline after 30 minutes so a little extra attention is necessary. Since we focus on small businesses primarily, the number of times someones DSL or cable happens to go down for several minutes leads to many many many notification messages. The text message a little perk to draw special attention and sometimes will wake one of us up if it happens at night.

Saliva fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 26, 2011

• Locked thread