Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The only notes he has are the original notes from the 90s when it was just a trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How did he even plan for that to end, when it was a trilogy?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mind the walrus posted:

*hyperlink to last half hour of HBO series finale*

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mind the walrus posted:

I don’t remember but the notes are out on the Internet. It involved a Tyrion/Ayra/Jon love triangle.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Just lol at the idea gurrm has any notes to burn

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

TowerofOil posted:

Just lol at the idea gurrm has any notes to burn

He has them but they’re submerged in sausage grease at this point so they probably won’t burn.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

When he dies I'm gonna hire some kids to break in ala V/H/S and what they find will be endless video tapes of how he got his shitdick infected

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t remember but the notes are out on the Internet. It involved a Tyrion/Ayra/Jon love triangle.

I hate how this sounds both wildly off the wall and horrifically plausible given his track record

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

still lolling at the idea that grrm bought a trainyard and naming two trains the names of the next two books, then finishing a circuit with them to technically claim they were complete.

So perfectly absolute Bastard

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

He claims he's written three chapters in the past two weeks, but also that he's no where near his past pace of 150 pages a month.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Capitalism is going to fall (and/or destroy civilization) before GRRM finishes that book or dies

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I like the conspiracy theory some other goon mentioned (probably a long time ago) that GRRM gave up on ASOIAF years ago and is only pretending to work on it so his publisher doesn't sue him. I don't know how the publishing world works, so I don't know how possible that is.

An even funnier theory someone mentioned proposed that his ancient Wordstar (or whatever old software he uses) machine died without backups and he had to start over.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Capitalism is going to fall (and/or destroy civilization) before GRRM finishes that book or dies

Now that's a plot twist! :eyepop:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Everyone getting hype about August release date announcement just lmao at them.

He literally can't write all he wants to write it would take him more years to finish than he has.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 23, 2020

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Absolute Fucker posted:

For the present at least, I am healthy… for an out-of-shape guy of 71, at least … and doing all I can to stay that way.

There's two ways to read this and I can't figure out which one is most likely.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
"Let them read charred notes and burned chapters." The Mad Author, Gurm

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It doesn't matter if gurm claims to write how many chapters as long as he's obsessively going back to rewrite existing chapters, which he does.

GRRM doesn't need to con his publisher into thinking he's still trying to finish the series, he needs to con the public so that people keep recommending the first five books to their gullible friends.

No one would consider ASOIAF 'good' if GRRM admits he can't finish it. So, maybe he really gives it an effort, maybe not, but his estate keeps growing as long as he says he's trying.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think even Stephen King periodically got pinged by his publisher about a new Dark Tower after the Wastelands and then Wizard & Glass. And that dude was still pumping out books the whole time.

The monkey's paw did finish that series, however.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wish GRRM's publisher would lay down the law.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sarern posted:

I like the conspiracy theory some other goon mentioned (probably a long time ago) that GRRM gave up on ASOIAF years ago and is only pretending to work on it so his publisher doesn't sue him. I don't know how the publishing world works, so I don't know how possible that is.

An even funnier theory someone mentioned proposed that his ancient Wordstar (or whatever old software he uses) machine died without backups and he had to start over.

At this point they basically wouldn't try to get their money back, assuming they gave him an advance. That's all they could really get back from him, and the amount of money they would get is not even remotely worth it compared to the chance he'll finish another book or he'll let them finish the book via Sanderson.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish GRRM's publisher would lay down the law.

Given the amount of money involved-- e.g: not insignificant-- they've probably done the math and agreed with our own conclusions that drawing out false hope is the most profitable gear. If they actually come down on him and he walks, or even finishes the series, then that's it. Stringing everyone along seems to work.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
With King it's different because the man is a machine and if he's producing content it's kinda reasonable to suggest he'd focus on something you think will sell well. Ultimately that didn't really pan out either cause King famously didn't give a gently caress until he chose to give a gently caress for his own reasons. And then he wrote three books of filler just to setup a pretty obvious epilogue which for some reason he asks the reader to ignore, weird.

The publisher doesn't need to remind gurm people want words and that a long time passed since he gave them words and that D&D made all his words look stupid, gurm knows these things very well, he just can't write more words.

You can be sure that GURM is not under any contractual obligations to produce words on some schedule, he's a multi best selling author, after all.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

For some perspective, Bill Clinton was President when GRRM last wrote at that pace.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Some famous artist said something that I think applies to GRRM's main problem, the guy basically said 'Amateurs wait for inspiration to strike, the rest of us just get to work...'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Basileus777 posted:

For some perspective, Bill Clinton was President when GRRM last wrote at that pace.

To be fair, suffering through 8 years of George W. Bush, two kind of good years of Obama, then 6 years of Republican gridlock followed by 3.5 years of Donald Trump would kill anyone's ability to express themselves creatively.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1275600912963207169?s=21

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's pretty awesome. I aim to marry Christina Hendricks in 2021.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The winds refer to the gas exiting his bloated corpse after a massive heart attack.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Can’t believe this forum is going to be deleted before TWoW is out

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Humanity will be extinct before that book comes out.

I promise. :black101:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
SA dies, GRRM still lives. It should have been you.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sad the bad thread won't always be there whenever we feel the urge to write something about a man who doesn't write. Or to diss Malazan, I guess. What a piece of poo poo.

I must say that this has been one of the chillest threads in SA, despite reputation, and that it was nice shitposting about ASOIAF with you guys, and that I hope that the forums pull through (without lowtax) after all.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

I've lurked the bad threads almost entirely but enjoyed them very much

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
All threads are bad, all threads must die

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Humanity will be extinct before that book comes out.

I promise. :black101:

well yeah, it said 2021

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

All threads are bad, all threads must die

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's literaly nothing about 2021 in the post that article comments, lol. Journalists gonna journalist.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

LoL
He’s clearly counting on the world to end by the end of 2020.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Is he being literal about writing in a mountain cabin? Because last I heard he couldn't write a single word unless he was at his wordstar station at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kuiperdolin posted:

There's literaly nothing about 2021 in the post that article comments, lol. Journalists gonna journalist.

literally:

quote:

But no, this does not mean that the book will be finished tomorrow or published next week. It’s going to be a huge book, and I still have a long way to go. Please do not give any credence to any of the click-bait websites that like to parse every word of my posts as if they were papal encyclicals to divine hidden meanings.