Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Bran has warged into the subforum title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/FilmstoFilms_/status/1304072399579688961?s=19

RIP Quem of Thorns, you were to good for this show

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
2020 continues to be an absolute garbage year. What up.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bad year for the Avengers.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/10/santa-fe-george-r-r-martin-library-game-of-thrones

quote:

Game of Thrones author George RR Martin won’t be able to build a seven-sided, castle-style library at his compound in Santa Fe that drew objections from neighbors.

The city’s Historic Districts Review Board on Tuesday denied a request to allow Martin to exceed the building height limit in the historic district where he lives, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported. The project included a roof deck and an elevator tower.

Just climb stairs, fat man.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"If I start an extensive remodeling project on my house, that will make me write faster!"

I hope the Review Board wrote in their decision "stop stalling and write the loving books, bitch"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I remember being a literal child and thinking that if I spend all my time engineering my house to be just right that'll be the thing to make me productive.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How is this not a skit on SNL? If/when it becomes an SNL skit I hope it has Bill Hader in it at least as a cameo.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

His last-ditch plan for making WoW is to literally build the library of Babel and say it's got to be somewhere in there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

How is this not a skit on SNL? If/when it becomes an SNL skit I hope it has Bill Hader in it at least as a cameo.

That "13 year old boobies expert" from the original SNL skit is probably in his 20s now...

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
He'll just have to build it somewhere along the route of his private railroad.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tell him they'll approve it when the books are done ie never

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
GRRM became a multi-millionaire by writing half a story and then tricking two dipshits into coming up with an ending and taking the blame for it when it turned out to be garbage. That is probably more than anyone here will ever accomplish in their lifetimes.

Let the man build his goddamn castle.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

nine-gear crow posted:

GRRM became a multi-millionaire by writing half a story and then tricking two dipshits into coming up with an ending and taking the blame for it when it turned out to be garbage. That is probably more than anyone here will ever accomplish in their lifetimes.

Let the man build his goddamn castle.

Let him build it, but somewhere not a southwest historic town.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah this is kind of the price you pay for living in a historic district.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't see what the problem is if only the ground floor ever gets built.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kuiperdolin posted:

I don't see what the problem is if only the ground floor ever gets built.

Knowing George, he'd have 3 of the 7 sides build relatively quickly, then split a side into 2 and only actually building the first half until about a decade later, then many years later... *fartz*

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That fucker is worth $65 million dollars if google is to be trusted and he does gently caress all for charity. Steal his money and give it to people who need it more, the bloated shitbag will be dead soon anyways.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He is at the point where if the big baby wants his big baby castle, he should be willing to move for it, but he's so loving used to not doing anything that even that is too much effort.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The most baffling part to me is reading that Santa Fe has a district so historic that they're worried it would be ruined by the GRRM's library castle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Cut the Gordian Knot: GRRM can build his big stupid castle, but he's gotta do it Pueblo Revival style so it doesn't look out of place in Santa Fe. If he doesn't like it then he can gently caress off back New Jersey and build it there. Nobody's gonna complain about an ugly rear end castle in New Jersey, not when Action Park still exists in some capacity.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kylaer posted:

The most baffling part to me is reading that Santa Fe has a district so historic that they're worried it would be ruined by the GRRM's library castle.

Santa Fe is one of the oldest cities in the U.S., only a couple months younger than Jamestown. It's also home to the oldest colonial building in the continental U.S., the Palace of the Governors.

e: although now that I look at it the particular location is nowhere near any of that, it's a near empty hill full of scrub brush, so it is just the classic rich exurban HOA rules masquerading as preserving "historical character"

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 14, 2020

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

nine-gear crow posted:

Cut the Gordian Knot: GRRM can build his big stupid castle, but he's gotta do it Pueblo Revival style so it doesn't look out of place in Santa Fe. If he doesn't like it then he can gently caress off back New Jersey and build it there. Nobody's gonna complain about an ugly rear end castle in New Jersey, not when Action Park still exists in some capacity.

He did. Changed to adobe construction and everything. It's just six feet too tall now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/n...cbd47feb3f.html

quote:

“This case, at its core, is about accessibility,” he said. “The property is owned by a trust, and our clients are the beneficiaries of the trust and will reside there hopefully for the remainder of their lives. They’re an aging couple that both have mobility issues. One of them is essentially down to a wheelchair now, and we don’t anticipate that changing any time in the future — and this is about providing safe access to an upper-level deck structure.”

IIRC his wife isn't a paragon of health and fitness either, but if he hasn't been seen in public since before Covid, it might be that Gurm is cosplaying as Bran right now.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
This series' and its author's slow descent into dust is quite appropriate. Obsessing over castles like he's Charles F. Kane.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's so emblematic of his generation too-- farting about for decades, cashing out at the first whiff of real success with no regard to those around him, then ensconcing himself in whatever puerile impulses he has left from his youth.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Then came the filming of the wedding night. In the Emilia Clarke version, it’s rape. It’s not rape in my book, and it’s not rape in the scene as we filmed it with Tamzin Merchant. It’s a seduction. Dany and Drogo don’t have the same language. Dany is a little scared but also a little excited, and Drogo is being more considerate. The only words he knows are “yes” or “no.” Originally it was a fairly faithful version.

very troubling

consensual sex between a 13 year old and the warlord she was sold to

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

This is pretty normal in Europe

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The minutiae of the first Horselord Sex Scene™ I wrote are as follows:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember the book scene with Dany and Drogo being pretty drat rapey. Am I misremembering or does that word not mean what George thinks it means?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The gurm depiction, written from the perspective of the 13 year old rape victim, is written very erotically and has a clear pedo vibe of a young naive girl being 'reluctantly guided' into enjoying a sexual act with an adult an experienced man, Gurm's Dany is basically skittish about the whole thing and tells Drogo 'no' but once he starts fingering her she's suddenly into it. So, it's clear that Gurm thinks that a 13 year human trafficking victim can meaningfully consent to sex with the 30 year old warlord she was sold to, D&D changing this scene so that it's clear that Dany isn't turned on and acts a lot more realistically is one of the few tasteful changes they did.

Of course, in both depictions we soon have Dany genuinely falling in love with Drogo in a way that goes way beyond what could be considered a take on Stockholm syndrome, so of course the show also gets creepy, but I mean, that's what the gurm wrote.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Very strong "its actually hebephilia" vibes

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

George has a bunch of kinks he never got out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

With a face, body, voice, and disposition like that it's really hard to believe he had a hard time finding a fulfilling and healthy sex life

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

chaosapiant posted:

I remember the book scene with Dany and Drogo being pretty drat rapey. Am I misremembering or does that word not mean what George thinks it means?

George is just reminding people that he's incapable of understanding what rape is.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Of all the things that have been questioned about the GRRM, whether he knows what rape is is clearly not among them.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I bet if season 8 was less poo poo the other Santa Fe residents would have let George build his castle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I bet if season 8 was less poo poo the other Santa Fe residents would have let George build his castle.

Kind of makes you wonder what other knock-on effects there would have been if they had stuck the landing on GoT...

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They should let him build it but mandate it be a bouncy castle and since it’s a bouncy castle it has a weight limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Kind of makes you wonder what other knock-on effects there would have been if they had stuck the landing on GoT...

I'd be willing to rewatch the series at some point, for one. Now I don't think it's worth the time.